Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

You best believe I'm looking forward to it

Sadly I think that very eventuality is why we are not allowed to be survivors with survivor bots

Burk: "The bot killed me!"

Us: "Burk, the bots don't even know how to betray other counselors."

Burk: "I KNOW! I BROKE ITS BRAIN!"

*Bot runs over everyone with car*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know about running counselors over with cars, but I guarantee there will be many bots running into trees or into the water. Or at least there'd better be :colbert:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I'm a little worried that bots may be more efficient counselors than groups of people generally are since they probably won't do things like accidentally take two gas cans to the same car. Also, they might know where the repair items are right at the start and make a beeline to them. Then again, they will probably also end up doing dumb stuff like trying to repair something as Tiffany when there's a Chubs nearby because Tiff picked up the repair item first.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to have a lot of fun with single player

Testing them

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Bots have the potential to be super good at some things (repairing vehicles, hitting you with weapons, getting out of your grasp) but will undoubtedly be awful at a lot of other things (coordinating to fill vehicles, driving, using group tactics to escape or fight you).

I'm mostly curious about the driving. There's no way on earth the bots will ever be able to do cool off-road stuff, and even getting them to swerve would be a pretty impressive technical task (there are racing games where the ai can't even swerve to avoid obstacles)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I feel that people talking about "bots" and "efficiency / functionality" in regards to them have forgotten what game they're playing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostpilot posted:

I feel that people talking about "bots" and "efficiency / functionality" in regards to them have forgotten what game they're playing.

Why do you think I can't wait to test them

Vigorously

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Was hoping to come home from work to the update.

Never been so excited for a video game update in all my days.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

I feel like we're going to see a few AI counselors managing to drive cars on top of cabins somehow, and a whole lot of fleeing counselors running against walls.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Oh poo poo I misread the original announcement and thought the patch was going to be on the 18th :tem:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Danaru posted:

Oh poo poo I misread the original announcement and thought the patch was going to be on the 18th :tem:

https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/941790077176475649

It's dropping for PC/PS4 but not XBox.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I meant to say I thought it came out on the 28th and managed to gently caress that up too :cripes: At least it's apparent how I got confused

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm just excited to turbo practice on the highest bot difficulty. It's like when I learned how to play Expert on Guitar Hero by just playing Expert songs over and over again until my muscle memory grew.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Has the patch not dropped yet for anyone else? Steam just won't queue up the patch.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t think it’s dropped for anyone. At least not as of 5:10 PM Est

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/942903567899353088

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Burkion posted:

Why do you think I can't wait to test them

Vigorously
Yeah I'm not normally very good at deliberately breaking games but you better believe I'm hyped to try it with these bots.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lol, new premium kills for Part 7. Good luck selling those boys.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Regrettable posted:

One better be the counselor literally dies laughing while Part 7 shakes his head sadly.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Can we all agree to keep the Virtual Cabin puzzle stuff behind spoilers when the time comes? I don't imagine it'll be RE7 demo levels of puzzle solving, but PS4 folks are talking openly about the answers on other sites, and I won't be able to play for a few days. :smith: Fortunately I clicked away when I realized what they were talking about but dammit I've been waiting for the secret hunting.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Y'all joke, but I see soooooo many Part 7's in public matches. No idea why! The teeth look cool in the intro, I guess...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Regrettable posted:

For the truly authentic Part 7 experience, they need the kill cam to cut away just as the actual killing blow happens.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

King Vidiot posted:

For the truly authentic Part 7 experience, they need the kill cam to cut away just as the actual killing blow happens.

I was so drat hyped when Jason hacked through the tent in the movie because I remembered how bad-rear end the kill was in-game, then the movie version was just a pithy whap and a close up of Jason going like "wait what" :mad:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I guess this is still happening right now even if no patch? https://twitter.com/Friday13thGame/status/942910895373635584

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yep, I just checked and they said you don't need the patch.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Offline play does count towards badges and accomplishments.

Easy and Normal are both incredibly easy.

Going in on hard now.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Oh and it does grant both xp and cp

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Hard mode is also incredibly easy unfortunately.

Good news is one of the counselors decided they would run around the grave yard with a bear trap (???) and so I got to scratch that kill off the list.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I take it back, it doesn’t count towards your badges. It gave it to me at the end of the match but when I went to Check I didn’t have it from the start screen.

No idea on the accomplishments but I would guess not as well.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I don't remember the patch downloading, it doesn't seem to be live now, how are you testing the patch out?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
likely on console

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
PS4.

They announced on twitter that the Steam version had a set back and would be out later tonight.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

PS4.

They announced on twitter that the Steam version had a set back and would be out later tonight.

Nah, they said they would post info about the patch tomorrow without saying when they thought it would actually be out.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Oh drat.

Offline mode is just too easy. I’m an average Jason at best, played about 6 rounds on Hard and they never got a car started or the police called.

Shelly’s stats:
Composure 6
Luck 1
Repair 5
Speed 4
Stamina 4
Stealthier 8
Strength 7

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Just got for real actually done with Virtual Cabin 2.0 and it is some incredible poo poo my friends.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

codenameFANGIO posted:

Just got for real actually done with Virtual Cabin 2.0 and it is some incredible poo poo my friends.

Uuggghhh I want it now

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

TheBizzness posted:

Offline mode is just too easy.

I never imagined it as anything other than a sandbox murder simulator to be honest. I can never see the ai being able to beat a human controlled Jason ever.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It’s definitely just target practice. But you get XP and CP so if you wanted to grind out a perk in the course of an hour, the option is there.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I apologise in advance for being that guy, but is this game actually good then?

I mean, it sounds like it ought to be good, but licensed games haven’t got the greatest reputation etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if you want one line? yes, it's good. it's very, very good.

if you want more words...well, i'm just gonna quote myself from the dead by daylight thread:

Coolguye posted:

i don't feel it is. it's a pretty simple and objective comparison.

survivor objectives:
in DbD, there is one primary and one secondary escape objective. the primary objective is to interact with generators and do periodic quick time events to get them running. this interaction takes roughly a minute, but can be sped up by doing particularly well on the QTEs, or slowed down by doing particularly poorly. when enough of them are running, exit doors become active. you must walk up to the exit doors, and interact with the lever that opens the door for another ~10 seconds, and then you can walk out. there is also an escape hatch on the level, but it only opens if you are the only survivor remaining (or you have a very rare consumable item that you bring into the match).

in F13, survivors have 4 primary escape objectives and one secondary one. there are 2 vehicles on the map which can be repaired and driven away to either of the two exit zones on the map. one is always a 4-door car (which can hold 4 players) and the other is sometimes a 2-door car, and sometimes a motorboat (which can hold 2 players apiece). parts are found randomly littered throughout the map, and a QTE must be completed to install the parts. the QTE can be either very long and difficult (~20 seconds if done perfectly with 7-9 opportunities to mess up) if the counselor you are playing has a bad Repair stat, or very quick and easy (<5 seconds with 2-3 opportunities to mess up) if your counselor has a good Repair stat (these counselors tend to pay for this stat in other ways, like having crap speed or stamina).

you may also call the police. to do this, you must hunt down the one cabin on the map that has a phone, and find the fuse to fix it. you must again do a repair QTE to fix the phone box. then you must go into the cabin, find the phone, and interact with it for ~10 seconds to complete the call to the cops. when the cops are called, there is a 5 minute countdown to their arrival, at which point one of the two exit zones will light up with cop sirens and lights, and you can run to the cops on foot. naturally, Jason will know the cops have been called and will likely kick it into high gear to get revenge.

you may also simply wait out the night. each F13 game is hard capped to 20 minutes, and if someone is alive at the end of those 20 minutes, they've survived/they win. of course, the other semantics of the game make this pretty difficult to do...

you may also win by killing jason. but this is kind of a unicorn situation and happens very rarely. jason is dangerous and the procedure is really complicated. this is the secondary win condition.

survivor progression:
in DbD, survivors have identical base stats, and their only differences beyond cosmetics are the perks they can equip naturally, versus the ones that are teachable to other survivors. to get a teachable perk, you must play for quite a long time (~10-15 hours) on that one survivor and then luck in to seeing the teachable perk on another survivor. perks are generally extremely powerful and there are a couple of combinations that make survivors functionally invincible. these perks have historically not been nerfed, instead other perks or other mechanics have been introduced to counter them (frequently very poorly). there is a real difference between have and have-not play when it comes to perks and you can verify this by watching twitch streams of some no-name dude who is level 20 versus a prostreamer who is level 1. the fundamentals of the game are changed simply by having something or not having something.

survivors have persistent perks that they can equip, a bit like DbD, but none are even remotely as powerful. the most useful historically was Thick Skin, which made a survivor able to tank like 8 swings from Jason, but that perk has been nerfed and now only gets you an extra hit or two. this is one of the primary differences between the trajectory of DbD and F13 - overpowered junk tends to get nerfed rather than attempting to shift the game around the overpowered stuff. also, unlike DbD, when you get a perk in F13, it's available for all survivors, should you want it. in DbD, you must unlock all perks for all survivors individually. beyond that, these are nice little bonuses that will help you in certain situations but not change much fundamentally. this is because...

...individual survivors play VERY differently in F13. they all have an assortment of 8 stats, ranging from their stamina to their luck to their stealth to their ability to repair. the track star girl can run for a very long time and can do so quickly, but is really bad at Repair and as such she can't get objectives done easily. on the opposite side of the spectrum, there is a fat nerd kid who is phenomenal at repair but has awful stamina. there is a rocker girl who is great at sneaking and decent at repair, but has physical stats as bad as the fat kid and has terrible luck to boot. this decision is what forms the core of your play in F13, and all of these survivors will unlock by simply playing the game and leveling up.

killer progression:

in DbD, the killer progresses almost identically to the survivors. you have a grab bag of perks, they are unlocked per-killer, and to mix and match perks you must play a dozen+ hours with a killer you might not particularly enjoy. in game, the killer's capabilities are static, and do not change once the match has started.

in F13, different 'killers' are expressed by jason's incarnations in the different movies. each jason has static perks and disadvantages that make him generally better at certain things and somewhat worse at others. for example, the earlier jasons (parts 2, 3, and 4) can jog, while the later jasons (parts 6+, after he went all zombie) can only power walk. but later jasons tend to be better at insidous/wear down tactics like traps, throwing knives, or destroying doors and such. the only unlockables for Jason are different sync kills, and most of them are shared between all the Jasons. in game, Jason starts out very, very weak. his abilities unlock as the game progresses, and for a survivor to die in the first 5 minutes of the game they have to be very unlucky or very boneheaded. Jason gets rougher and rougher as the game goes on, however, and in the last 5 minutes of the game a survivor must be very prepared to survive his attention.

killer<->player interaction:
in DbD, there are four real interactions a survivor and a killer can have with one another. a killer can attack a survivor, which will injure them (if healthy) or down them (if injured). once downed, a killer can put a survivor on a hook. during a chase, a survivor can drop a wooden pallet to bonk a killer on the head. a survivor can try to blind the killer with a flashlight they've found or brought in to the match. there are a couple of variations per killer (the trapper can use bear traps, the nurse can blink) but these 3 things encapsulate about 85-90% of what happens between a killer and a player in a match. what's worse is that these individual interactions tend to be really bland. chases feel less like a struggle and more like an inevitability - the survivor is slower than the killer, and the killer has lots of cues as to where a survivor is. short of a map flaw (an infinijuke), or a broken as gently caress perk combination, the survivor is going to get hosed in relatively short order, and being in the dying state or on the hook is monumentally one dimensional. you effectively cannot interact with the world at all in these situations.

in F13, jason can attack a survivor and weaken them, or if he hits them enough times it will kill them. he can also grab a survivor in an attempt to kill them instantly using a sync kill, but a survivor can break out of this grab if they have found a pocketknife in the map (it will deploy instantly). in the few seconds it takes for jason to initiate his sync kill, a nearby ally can also hit him to free the grabbed counselor. survivors can hit jason pretty much any time they have an angle on him in order to stun him, or to pop his mask off. and if his mask is off, there is a very complex interaction that can lead to the survivors winning by killing jason. chases are also MUCH more complicated. even the faster Jasons are much slower than even the slowest sprinting survivor, but unlike DbD, stamina is not infinite for them. a survivor can get distance on Jason easily, but if they are careless and run out of wind, Jason (who is unaffected by stamina and has some quick teleport powers) can catch up and carve them up easily. so survivors can and should take refuge in cabins to gain the down time they need to restore their stamina and keep running. jason can weaken a cabin or make it useless by breaking windows (which makes counselors take damage if they attempt to use it to escape him), and busting down doors (which counselors will lock to impede him) - but this all takes time. which is a finite quality in F13. maps are also MUCH larger than in DbD and you have access to a visualization of the map so you can plan your moves and figure out favorable interactions rather than the low-information scramble that DbD forces on you. good survivor play hinges upon knowing what's happened during that match (which is possible, because players can actually speak to one another), and planning ahead when jason is following you. also, when you are dead, you're just dead - there is no dying or hooked state where you are technically still in the game, but you have no agency or ability to affect things around you. in F13, you either have agency, or you're out and can go find another game/take a bathroom break/whatever. it's that simple.

bugs
this is the big heading where I think DbD wins. DbD's gameplay is generally free of bugs and you can play for dozens upon dozens of hours without ever seeing something unexpected. F13 is a buggy game and while there's a huge slew of bug fixes in every patch, new ones always seem to show up. the overall trajectory is good in that, month over month, the number of disruptive bugs goes down, but if you're playing F13, be prepared to buckle up for some wacky poo poo happening.

i could go on but i think that's enough :words: to draw a lot of parallels. yes, F13 is more expensive than DbD, but that is because it is a much bigger game with much more thought put into it.

• Locked thread