Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

He has a straight up Dennis Reynolds level addiction to getting these kinds of documents.

Edit: Taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Didn’t comey tell him three times that he wasn’t under investigation according no one ?

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 18, 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ahaha yes

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol. they won't. trump wants his good boy validation card and it isnt happening. this is the newest self delusion of trumps melting mind to keep himself calm. he is a child trying to "rationalize" poo poo to himself.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

I hope Trump gets a Certificate of Exoneration® and all the benefits that come with it none

Trump's going to hold a press conference and hold this up

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Night10194 posted:

Remember when his letter firing Comey thanked him for all the times he told him he wasn't under personal investigation, lol

so muellers letter.... exonerating trump... will also fire him?

ya ok ill buy it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Snacksmaniac posted:

Didn’t comet tell him three times that he wasn’t under investigation according no one ?

I think what happened was Comey, almost certainly after being specifically asked by Trump, repeatedly told him he was not personally under investigation, but rather, his campaign was, and Trump repeatedly heralded the first half the statement publicly as a sign that he was totally in the clear, and also kept asking because he was hoping that doing so might magically change the answer.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014
...is there any precedent for giving someone a letter exonerating them of any wrongdoing? do prosecutors do such things?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Have the Democrats introduced an alternative, real tax reform idea? You’d think that something like that right now could be easy points for them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

publishko posted:

...is there any precedent for giving someone a letter exonerating them of any wrongdoing? do prosecutors do such things?

no. he is just trying to comfort himself. like a literal child does, he wants to be told he is the bestest boy ever. he also isnt used to investigations of him/his lackeys actualy going anywhere, because he usualy bribed/threatned them with suits until the said "gently caress it". these people won't.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

Dear Your Excellency, His Honorable President Mr Trump:

You're innocent!!! Investigation over. Lock her up.

Love, Bob (Mueller)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

moostaffa posted:

What's wrong with Collins btw? She speaks like she has some kind of condition

Some sort of vocal chord SpaaAAAasssms.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

publishko posted:

Sure they can, and sometimes do when the target of an investigation is later determined to be likely innocent. It doesn't legally mean much though, and if they suddenly find a smoking gun proving you were guilty all along they can go "wait, never mind, we're prosecuting you."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pakled posted:

I think what happened was Comey, almost certainly after being specifically asked by Trump, repeatedly told him he was not personally under investigation, but rather, his campaign was, and Trump repeatedly heralded the first half the statement publicly as a sign that he was totally in the clear, and also kept asking because he was hoping that doing so might magically change the answer.

yep. like a child. i think he almost certenly is under investigation now and probably has been. he won't know about it until its too late.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

In a twist, Trump's plan is to fire Mueller because he didn't get a letter saying he would be exonerated, and he'll tell him as much in his firing letter to Mueller a la James Comey.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Smol posted:

Have the Democrats introduced an alternative, real tax reform idea? You’d think that something like that right now could be easy points for them.

I'm pretty sure they could just dust off the Clinton 2016 platform as a starting point. The drawback is that it's tainted. It smells of the blood shed at Benghazi and Whitewater.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-drug-price-20171218-story.html

quote:

For four decades, Don Anderson of Seattle has been taking the same drug to help control the temporary bouts of immobility and muscle weakness caused by a rare genetic illness called periodic paralysis.

"It's like putting a 50-pound pack on your back and standing up at the dinner table," Anderson, 73, said. "It's like wearing lead shoes around all the time."

The drug Anderson has been taking all these years was originally approved in 1958 and used primarily to treat the eye disease glaucoma under the brand name Daranide, its price so unremarkable that he can't quite remember how much it cost at the pharmacy counter.

But the price has been on a roller coaster in recent years — zooming from a list price of $50 for a bottle of 100 pills in the early 2000s up to $13,650 in 2015, then plummeting back down to free, before skyrocketing back up to $15,001 after a new company, Strongbridge Biopharma, acquired the drug and relaunched it this spring.

"I'm constantly hearing that public pressure, public shaming will be sufficient to curb these bad actors in these industries. It often feels if you take your attention off of them, even for a second, they'll revert to these old ways," said Rachel Sachs, an associate law professor at Washington University in St. Louis. "It's just another example of how the system has some problems that need to be fixed."

Nah, this is totally good, companies should totally be allowed to buy 60 year old drugs, and jack up the prices 100X times

quote:

In the early 2000s, Daranide was discontinued by Merck. Other glaucoma treatments were available, but a small group of periodic paralysis patients who had found that it controlled their symptoms better than other drugs were left with few options. They found ways to get the drug, importing it from Europe or South Korea. Anderson recalls the expense as about $250 or $300 a month.

In 2008, a family affected by the disease that also owned Taro Pharmaceutical Industries, a generic pharmaceutical company, decided to acquire Daranide from Merck. The goal was to make the drug reliably available to patients at a reasonable cost, Barrie Levitt, the former chairman of the company, and his son Jacob said in 2016.

Jacob suffers from periodic paralysis, and although he took a different drug to control his disease, he became aware from his work in the patient advocacy community that Daranide had been discontinued, forcing patients to look for alternatives or find sources to import. He said Taro spent less than half a million dollars to acquire the old drug.

But Taro was taken over by another generic-drug company, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, in 2010. When the drug was approved in 2015 as a rare-disease treatment for periodic paralysis, it got a new name, Keveyis, and a new price: $13,650 for 100 pills. Although Keveyis is a decades-old drug, its federal approval for periodic paralysis came with a seven-year period of exclusive marketing rights.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 18, 2017

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Smol posted:

In every congress, the minority party proposes hundreds of bills that never see the light of day. I'm sure they submitted a few tax proposals. They don't make the news unless they are going to get a vote.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who is moving to Detroit in bulk to gentrify it? No one is running a car start-up.

You can have gentrification without an influx of people if you just have so many people left there isn't much good stuff left in general and the rich people push out the poor people that started it.

Like if there used to be 50 cool bars that was all sorts of people and then all but two closed the people with the most money will probably push their way into both of the two remaining ones till none of the original crowd is even left.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I've said this before but my meds are like $400 a month, I'd never be able to afford them without Medicaid. It's loving ridiculous.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Glumslinger posted:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-drug-price-20171218-story.html

Nah, this is totally good, companies should totally be allowed to buy 60 year old drugs, and jack up the prices 100X times

There aren't generics for 60 year old drugs?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Glumslinger posted:

zooming from a list price of $50 for a bottle of 100 pills in the early 2000s up to $13,650 in 2015, then plummeting back down to free, before skyrocketing back up to $15,001 after a new company, Strongbridge Biopharma, acquired the drug and relaunched it this spring.

The active ingredient was bitcoins

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Rigel posted:

Sure they can, and sometimes do when the target of an investigation is later determined to be likely innocent. It doesn't legally mean much though, and if they suddenly find a smoking gun proving you were guilty all along they can go "wait, never mind, we're prosecuting you."

gotcha. I was wondering if there would be some double jeopardy trouble there then I realized that would be absurd and such document would probably be legally meaningless.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
If Trump presidency years were put into Harry Potter movie terms, Professor Quirrel is just now unwrapping his turban.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Smol posted:

There's not much point in doing that, both because it's easy (just adjust some rates and expand some credits) and because it's boring and doesn't get the base riled up. "Lower the bottom tax rate and raise the top rate" doesn't carry the same level of excitement as "single-payer" or "Medicare for all."

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Little did we know that we do need to lock her up. Jill Stien that is!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rinkles posted:

There aren't generics for 60 year old drugs?

"Although Keveyis is a decades-old drug, its federal approval for periodic paralysis came with a seven-year period of exclusive marketing rights."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Oh sorry, I ended that post too early again

quote:

In 2016, after the Washington Post asked questions about the high price of the drug, Sun Pharmaceutical said it would give the drug away free of charge. Sun said that the timing was coincidental and reflected the fact that the company had made less than $1 million on the drug — not enough to recoup the investment the company had made in marketing and patient support services.

But the story doesn't end there. Late last year, Sun agreed to sell Keveyis to a biotech company, Strongbridge Biopharma, for $8.5 million. In April, Strongbridge relaunched the drug — and in August, it raised the list price to $15,001 for a bottle of 100 pills.

In a presentation for investors, Strongbridge Biopharma estimated that the annual price of treatment for Keveyis would range from $109,500 to $219,000, depending on the dosage the patient took. One slide shows that the drug is covered broadly by insurers. In November, the company announced $2.5 million in sales last quarter — a 67% increase over the previous quarter's $1.5 million in sales. It said it would expand its sales force, and executives said in a conference call that the company's medical affairs team had met with 75 medical leaders and was training speakers to lead "peer-to-peer educational programs."

2016- Washington Post calls them out on the crazy markup, they agree to sell the it for free

Then they decide to just sell the rights to the drug to a different company, and now its more expensive than ever.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Phelddagrif posted:

There's not much point in doing that, both because it's easy (just adjust some rates and expand some credits) and because it's boring and doesn't get the base riled up. "Lower the bottom tax rate and raise the top rate" doesn't carry the same level of excitement as "single-payer" or "Medicare for all."

Also don't give the republicans actually good ideas on how to slightly do their job better if they get desperate enough. These fuckers don't deserve any help to make their illegitimate poo poo show look tolerable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Koalas March posted:

"Although Keveyis is a decades-old drug, its federal approval for periodic paralysis came with a seven-year period of exclusive marketing rights."

Not sure what that means.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You can have gentrification without an influx of people if you just have so many people left there isn't much good stuff left in general and the rich people push out the poor people that started it.

Like if there used to be 50 cool bars that was all sorts of people and then all but two closed the people with the most money will probably push their way into both of the two remaining ones till none of the original crowd is even left.

The downtown area has actually been revitalizing over the last few years, so lots of young people are moving there to work at bars and restaurants as well as being trendy by living there and working in Royal oak or Dearborn or wherever.

Detroit is a gordian knot of problems. No one wants it just to to keep stagnating and dying, so people moving downtown is good, but that does not mean people like KM deserve to be thrown out of their homes cause now white people feel safe in corktown.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Exclusive rights means no generics.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Get hosed Jill Stein, Sen Collins, and you fat gently caress with a mic.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Petr posted:

If Trump presidency years were put into Harry Potter movie terms, Professor Quirrel is just now unwrapping his turban.

because there are gonna be eight of them, you see

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Petr posted:

because there are gonna be eight of them, you see

Who's Harry in this analogy

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh sorry, I ended that post too early again

2016- Washington Post calls them out on the crazy markup, they agree to sell the it for free

Then they decide to just sell the rights to the drug to a different company, and now its more expensive than ever.

What do you want to bet the "different company" has the same owners as the first company.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I just watched Frost Nixon......

this poo poo is so prophetic, just go watch it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Koalas March posted:

Exclusive rights means no generics.

Thanks. Calling it "marketing rights" sounded like advertising.

Why did they get this deal in the first place?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Rinkles posted:

It was generic, the holding company discovers a niche use and documents it, absolutely no bribery occurs, and the holding company are allowed to increase price 300x for all uses with generics made illegal for seven years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Spangly A posted:

It was generic, the holding company discovers a niche use and documents it, absolutely no bribery occurs, and the holding company are allowed to increase price 300x for all uses with generics made illegal for seven years.

You don't need to bribe regulators to get the patent reapplied.

Someone already bribed the Congressmen to make it automatic.

• Locked thread