Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ammanas posted:

Why? The high-value properties Fox owns have been utterly wasted in their hands. For all their safeness, at least Disney/Marvel are committed to trying to make quality work out of their properties.

Consolidation is almost never a good thing, in the arts or anywhere else.

Consider the Clear Channel mop-up of radio stations in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Eh, I think it's just the age we live in. A lot of the 'competition' that exists is entirely illusionary anyway. That car company ownership flowchart is shocking.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd rather have studios fund weird failures than see creative monopoly. Who wants dull competence?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'd rather have studios fund weird failures than see creative monopoly. Who wants dull competence?

America!

Jesus imagine if our government was run with dull competence

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ammanas posted:

America!

It is. It's called NatSec.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Well, I mean their back catalogue is perfectly safe. But the implications for the type of projects that will be greenlit in upcoming years are...not good.

No I'm not talking about their library. Disney doesn't have anything like Searchlight and they're churning out quality constantly. I'd feel safer if I was working with them than 20thC Fox Theatrical.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Ammanas posted:

America!

It is. Competence is writing bills that put money in your pocket.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So the Mortal Engines movie apparently is an actual thing.

First trailer/teaser in a long while to make me unreasonably excited for a film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Didn't that already happen, when seemingly every YA novel series that was even vaguely Twilight-esque was getting an adaptation? I think it had Jeremy Irons in it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Didn't that already happen, when seemingly every YA novel series that was even vaguely Twilight-esque was getting an adaptation? I think it had Jeremy Irons in it.

You’re thinking of Mortal Instruments which was based of an infamous Harry Potter fanfic. The movie flopped but it became a successful series on Netflix called Shadowhunters.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

You might be thinking of Mortal Instruments. I've never read Mortal Engines, but I guess it's about giant machine cities that walk around or something?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Actually, that's infinite bloodlust.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The MSJ posted:

You’re thinking of Mortal Instruments which was based of an infamous Harry Potter fanfic. The movie flopped but it became a successful series on Netflix called Shadowhunters.

Yeah. :downs: <- me

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

No I'm not talking about their library. Disney doesn't have anything like Searchlight and they're churning out quality constantly. I'd feel safer if I was working with them than 20thC Fox Theatrical.

Just be happy you're not working for Sony

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Vagabundo posted:

Beautiful Creatures (which came out the same year as Mortal Instruments) was the YA supernatural romance bullshit adaptation with Jeremy Irons. The only reason I remember that was that the trailer promised Irons and Emma Thompson chewing scenery at each other, and if anything could possibly interest me about a YA supernatural romance, it was that. I still couldn’t be bothered to see it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I only remember that movie for using that Florence + the machine song in the trailer. Good song.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FoneBone posted:

Beautiful Creatures (which came out the same year as Mortal Instruments) was the YA supernatural romance bullshit adaptation with Jeremy Irons. The only reason I remember that was that the trailer promised Irons and Emma Thompson chewing scenery at each other, and if anything could possibly interest me about a YA supernatural romance, it was that. I still couldn’t be bothered to see it.

They really should have done more with everyone hamming it up as a southern accented witch. All I remember is a ridiculous dinner scene where everything starts spinning as two of the characters argue while Irons and the rest of the family is just “ah poo poo no this again” and just staying in their chairs.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

You might be thinking of Mortal Instruments. I've never read Mortal Engines, but I guess it's about giant machine cities that walk around or something?

Post apocalyptic Municipal Darwinism :eng101:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They really should have done more with everyone hamming it up as a southern accented witch. All I remember is a ridiculous dinner scene where everything starts spinning as two of the characters argue while Irons and the rest of the family is just “ah poo poo no this again” and just staying in their chairs.

I like that scene. Can we have a whole movie of just the girl's warlock cousin? He seems cool.

I also liked that the ending had the girl become a daksider but she stayed a good guy.

A good background gag: the misspelled movie titles at the local theater.

edit:
Jack Black is The Polka King.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWGh7si0Y50

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Killing foreign lefties, paying mentally ill people to concoct bombing plots so you can arrest them, and hoarding zero-day vulnerabilities so that ransomware can run riot over the globe is only "dull competence" to complete idiots who aren't paying attention.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Killing foreign lefties, paying mentally ill people to concoct bombing plots so you can arrest them, and hoarding zero-day vulnerabilities so that ransomware can run riot over the globe is only "dull competence" to complete idiots who aren't paying attention.

I didn't say it was right :shrug:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

FoneBone posted:

Jesus christ, I wonder how many other YA supernatural romance bullshit adaptations I've mashed together into one movie in my recollections.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I saw most of that Beautiful Creatures movie for the first time on TV a little while ago. I didn't hate it, surprisingly, but it's hilarious how much better it would have been as just a teen romance film set in South Carolina with the backdrop of old, feuding families. All of the witch stuff was real drat boring, but Emmy Rossum was doing a decent Eva Green impression.

That Alden Ehrenreich guy was solid too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well let's hope so, he's Han Solo.

Also I had to pay Florence for that song. Not with my hand or my money. Just...with my keyboard.

There was a version with a different song that cost like 10 grand as compared to the astronomical amount we payed Flo and it made the trailer like ten times better but people are addicted to spending stupid money for something that sounds familiar.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The MSJ posted:

I like that scene. Can we have a whole movie of just the girl's warlock cousin? He seems cool.

I also liked that the ending had the girl become a daksider but she stayed a good guy.

A good background gag: the misspelled movie titles at the local theater.

edit:
Jack Black is The Polka King.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWGh7si0Y50

Was really hoping this was a Home Alone prequel spinoff about a young version of John Candy's character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs8rJFw1t74

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

kiimo posted:

Also I had to pay Florence for that song. Not with my hand or my money. Just...with my keyboard.

There was a version with a different song that cost like 10 grand as compared to the astronomical amount we payed Flo and it made the trailer like ten times better but people are addicted to spending stupid money for something that sounds familiar.

fwiw I don't watch star war trailers or what it was, but I'm glad Florence got some money cause she seems pretty cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

kiimo posted:

Florence owns thank you for paying her money. Also Alden is outstanding in Hail, Caesar!

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QerVvvNem1w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupYIggOq38

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Howls Moving Castle City

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Both of those could be fun. Here's hoping the scripts aren't garbage and that any shred of anything interesting survives into the final release.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Gonz posted:

Howls Moving Castle City

:mediocre:

It's Mad Max: Fury Ville

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ha, that diner is where I get breakfast at usually. And apparently the Paprika Dog right around the corner from me has a scene there too. So weird to live where a movie is centered around!

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Ocean's 8 has a great cast and is co-written and directed by Gary Ross. That's a good start.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I wonder what her scar will look like in this movie?

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 19, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Because what we need is an epic new saga from master of sagas Peter Jackson, one seemingly influenced by Mad Max Fury Road in all the wrong ways.

What is this garbage reality we live in?

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012

Because what we need is an epic new saga from master of sagas Peter Jackson, one seemingly influenced by Mad Max Fury Road in all the wrong ways.

What is this garbage reality we live in?

It's based on a book from 2001 and Jackson is just producing. You can calm down.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Why Ocean's 8? Is it because women only get 72% as much as men?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tiriganiaq posted:

It's based on a book from 2001 and Jackson is just producing. You can calm down.

Did I raise my voice?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I think that's the joke, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

The number 8 looks round and comfortable like two boobs.

The number 11 looks jagged and awkward like two dongs.

• Locked thread