Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Stafford is cool and good and I was very happy with him for being a bro and blowing some late passes on Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

look i think that we can all agree that whether you like it or not, statistically matthew stafford is a quarterback who plays for the detroit lions in the national football league

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stafford gave me a new phrase: "The Stafford Contract", or, when you have a player or coach that is good enough to get the job done, you know there's better out there, but you don't want to gamble on it, so you give the a guy a big contract so he doesn't go elsewhere.

I view McCarthy largely through the same lens. He's not bad, hamstrung by a bad DC, but who the gently caress out there is available for HC duties these days that could even be considered an upgrade?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

iospace posted:

Stafford gave me a new phrase: "The Stafford Contract", or, when you have a player or coach that is good enough to get the job done, you know there's better out there, but you don't want to gamble on it, so you give the a guy a big contract so he doesn't go elsewhere.

I view McCarthy largely through the same lens. He's not bad, hamstrung by a bad DC, but who the gently caress out there is available for HC duties these days that could even be considered an upgrade?

Dom Capers

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
The only reasons the Packers have gotten sorta murdered and not full on brutalized on defense are Blake and Damarious having insane seasons. Remove 1 of those 2 and it’s not hard to believe this team has another loss, maybe two.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

iospace posted:

Who the hell is out there that's better than Stafford that the Lions could reasonably get?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VJeff posted:

Who the hell is out there that's better than Stafford that the Lions could reasonably get?

Well, you could gamble on a free agent at the end of the season or draft someone. But if you don't pay him he's also going to go seek money from a team that would.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Brett Hundley could be available

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

iospace posted:

Well, you could gamble on a free agent at the end of the season or draft someone. But if you don't pay him he's also going to go seek money from a team that would.

So, nobody. Your premise is a farce. The Lions paid Stafford because he's worth it.

Also, Packers re-signed Joe Callahan, so, expect Rodgers to be shut down soon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VJeff posted:

So, nobody. Your premise is a farce. The Lions paid Stafford because he's worth it.

It's ok to admit you have stockholm syndrome. We understand, we've all been there.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Yeah I'm pretty okay giving a top 5 quarterback in the league megabucks instead of going through the Mike McMahon/Joey Harrington/Jon Kitna route for oh, 8 seasons

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

iospace posted:

It's ok to admit you have stockholm syndrome. We understand, we've all been there.

You: ..."You know there's better out there."...
Me: "Like who?"
You: :shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VJeff posted:

You: ..."You know there's better out there."...
Me: "Like who?"
You: :shrug:

You know who's better than Stafford?

Rodgers, Brady, Big Ben, maybe Flacco.

There, better QBs. They exist, but you gotta find him first. Problem is, are you going to let Stafford walk to draft a potential lottery ticket or are you going lock him down? Or are you going to try your hand on a FA back up that is also an unknown. No one saw Brady exploding but here we are.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Rodgers can't even stay on the field

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

iospace posted:

maybe Flacco.

:crossarms: Being elite doesn't make you a good quarterback.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Rodgers can't even stay on the field

Trust me, I know :smith:

Shangri-Law School posted:

:crossarms: Being elite doesn't make you a good quarterback.

More rings than Stafford, and more playoff wins to boot :colbert:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Flacco is NOT better than Stafford

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

nerve posted:

Flacco is NOT better than Stafford

:ssh: Let me have my fun.

Neither the Packers or Lions are making the playoffs though :smith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We should just cut him loose and draft, uh, Josh Allen

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Packers absolutely are not, Lions could!

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Right now? Maybe Brees. Maybe Rivers. But outside Rodgers and Brady I’d take Stafford.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least the Lions paid him unlike the poo poo Washington is pulling. I'll give them that.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
When Stafford subbed himself back in and won that game however many years back he forever endeared himself to me. I could take or leave the Lions, but I wish good things for him.

Gonz posted:

Shartcago.

Lets not do this

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the mic'd up for that play is legit i think my favorite football thing i've ever watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvIwyikbRU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Between the Browns game, the Fake Spike, winning like 8 comeback games last year, Stafford should be everybody's favorite QB. :colbert:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

rabidsquid posted:

the mic'd up for that play is legit i think my favorite football thing i've ever watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvIwyikbRU

it's so loving cool, and even better when presented as one take

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nerve posted:

I don't give a gently caress what whiny NFCN fans say about it being easy to be a Packers fan, I know exactly what it's like to be a fan of lovely, horrible sports teams that will never win a got dang thing.

That's exactly how I justify my response when talking about my entire conscious lifetime being hall-of-fame quarterback play. I'm a Brewers fan.

Also, I think the thing that is most stark when looking at the Packers defense and Dom Capers, outside the stats anyway, is how when you look at other playoff contenders with a poor defense, they've been able to adjust not only in game but through the season and their defenses have noticeably improved. Patriots, Steelers, Saints, Falcons. This is not hte case with the Packers who have only gotten worse

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 19, 2017

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
The most Lions thing ever is for the Falcons to drop 2/3 and the Lions still to lose in week 17 even when the Packers can't make the playoffs

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the trick to the packers conundrum is you can absolutely complain about how hard it is to be a packers fan but also nobody is going to be sympathetic. life is all about learning to manage expectations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Nobody is complaining about how hard it is to be a Packers fan Jesus loving Christ you can be content with something and also critique it holy poo poo

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

rabidsquid posted:

the trick to the packers conundrum is you can absolutely complain about how hard it is to be a packers fan but also nobody is going to be sympathetic. life is all about learning to manage expectations.

I doubt anyone is looking for sympathy. Just to be able to discuss the defense without a chorus of "HURF BLURF AARON RODGERS".

I'm curious, how close do Lions fans see the team being to being a credible Super Bowl contender? I don't doubt they could sneak into a wild card spot and make the playoffs some year. But what would they need to make the playoffs and feel like they have a real shot?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/ChrisBurkeNFL/status/942906255676452867

Ha ha ha ha! Ha ha!

Hooogh. :smith:

BGrifter posted:

I doubt anyone is looking for sympathy. Just to be able to discuss the defense without a chorus of "HURF BLURF AARON RODGERS".

Yeah well, that ain't gonna happen. That ship sailed when Rodgers became the God King of Hail Maries.

BGrifter posted:

I'm curious, how close do Lions fans see the team being to being a credible Super Bowl contender? I don't doubt they could sneak into a wild card spot and make the playoffs some year. But what would they need to make the playoffs and feel like they have a real shot?

A defense and a run game would be nice.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 19, 2017

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

BGrifter posted:

On defense, a defensive line, the linebackers to get their act together. On offense, a running game. Special teams are good.

Possibly a new coach.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Basically, if I have to hear about that stupid loving hail mary TD Rodgers threw against the Lions every loving week for the rest of my loving life, then my position is going to be that you should just compensate for your crappy defense with more hail mary TDs.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If the Packers got to play the Lions every week that just might work.

Bonus: If the Packers got to play the Lions every week you'd never hear about the '72 Dolphins ever again.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Eh, the Packers would probably win a couple, our defense is pretty bad.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

VJeff posted:

Eh, the Packers would probably win a couple, our defense is pretty bad.

:rimshot:

Well played.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Athanatos posted:

Let’s not do this.

I was just thinking of a poop pun, I assure you I wasn’t being malicious.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 19, 2017

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

VJeff posted:

Yeah well, that ain't gonna happen. That ship sailed when Rodgers became the God King of Hail Maries.

We did eat a Fail Mary, which, ironically, was launched by Wilson, who would have likely led us to Wisconsin's first national title game if it weren't for two Hail Marys in the same season that were successful.

The 'What Could Have Been' if JJ Watt stuck around for one more season....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BGrifter posted:

If the Lions ever came close to a Super Bowl they would be taken out by the deep state before the NFC Championship game

• Locked thread