Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Everybody at my job has been stopping by to see how I am and if there’s anything they can do to help. It’s all out of genuine concern for my health and well being so I can’t get mad but their earnest sympathy is like acid to my already humiliated pride :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
every time someone goes "urrrr using humans as fuel is not realistic it should be as a processing unit" they ignore the fact that human bodies as fuel is more visceral of an image and the matrix is dumb

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Leperflesh posted:

that was the central stupidity of the matrix, why not use pigs or something easy to entertain, also it's not efficient farming food to feed an exotherm just for heat when you could just burn the calories directly in a furnace

you all know this, I'm just still testy about it 17 years later because it was such a stupidly lazy justification for the premise when they could have said like the AIs need human brainwaves or they're using the unused brain cells as biocomputers or something
I always took into as the machines learning to hold a grudge from humans

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
like, morpheus holding up a battery is more visually striking than morpheus holding up a cpu or some poo poo

EDIT: Also considering every creative decision the Wachowskis have made since having creative freedom has been wholly terrible, I see no reason to think the only good movie they ever made did something wrong by being simpler and more comprehensible

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 19, 2017

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Today my dad let slip to me that my sister's BF is gonna propose to her over Christmas :buddy: He's a cool dude and now I won't be so pressured to have kids, being the only married child of my parents.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Matrix still is a cool movie. Shame about the sequels tho

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/942541519717838848

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Durandal1707 posted:

The Matrix still is a cool movie. Shame about the sequels tho

No one should have told the Wachowskis that their dumb action movie had philosophical depth to it

I knew we were screwed the second they made that anime that was like "Actually, the humans were the bad guys all along" No, gently caress off. The machines are evil, we fight them with kung fu, the end.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No one should have told the Wachowskis that their dumb action movie had philosophical depth to it

I knew we were screwed the second they made that anime that was like "Actually, the humans were the bad guys all along" No, gently caress off. The machines are evil, we fight them with kung fu, the end.

There were a couple of cool parts of the animatrix.

Even though I liked the car chase, I was amazed by how bad the 100 agent smith fight scene was. Also how pointless, because at one point neo just flies away for some reason.

when the third one started with the indian family in the subway.....yeah

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

like, morpheus holding up a battery is more visually striking than morpheus holding up a cpu or some poo poo

EDIT: Also considering every creative decision the Wachowskis have made since having creative freedom has been wholly terrible, I see no reason to think the only good movie they ever made did something wrong by being simpler and more comprehensible

They also made Bound, which is amazing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

There were a couple of cool parts of the animatrix.

Even though I liked the car chase, I was amazed by how bad the 100 agent smith fight scene was. Also how pointless, because at one point neo just flies away for some reason.

when the third one started with the indian family in the subway.....yeah

The Animatrix was cool. The haunted house story was really good and a really cool exploration of the world. I just hated that Second Renaissance poo poo.

Also, speaking of good and bad movies, here is a list of every reason I loved The Last Jedi and why its a really good movie

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-list-of-some-of-the-times-the-last-jedi-told-the-olde-1821396631

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Animatrix was cool. The haunted house story was really good and a really cool exploration of the world. I just hated that Second Renaissance poo poo.

Also, speaking of good and bad movies, here is a list of every reason I loved The Last Jedi and why its a really good movie

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/a-list-of-some-of-the-times-the-last-jedi-told-the-olde-1821396631

The second renaissance was the alternate history telling of how the war started and went right? Because I'm kind of a sucker for that stuff, and the machines were right to do what they did.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kalli posted:

The second renaissance was the alternate history telling of how the war started and went right? Because I'm kind of a sucker for that stuff, and the machines were right to do what they did.

Yeah, thats my problem though. Terminator never made you feel bad for Skynet. Lord of the Rings never showed the sensitive side of Sauron. If you are making a simple story about rebel underdogs against a larger soulless system you don't go "well actually the giant evil brainwashing machines aren't really all that bad"

Like, they wanted to make their story more complex than the average hero's journey narrative but they aren't good enough as writers to do it

EDIT: Plus, the movie series explicitly about ending the matrix never actually ends the matrix because the studio was banking on the MMORPG being popular

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Reminder that the two matrix sequels involved an entire different ship whos story required you to play the video game to understand

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Reminder that the two matrix sequels involved an entire different ship whos story required you to play the video game to understand

revolutionary cross-media storytelling

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

No ones saying the movie didn't have good points. It was still incredibly shittily written and has way too much emotional exposition from characters shoe horned into a pointless plot.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

he went to the heathcliff school of hats

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

fun third matrix movie game

watch what Morpheus does in the plot of the third matrix movie

I also loved how the emotional crux of the second Matrix movie was Neo saving Trinity from dying and then the next movie which takes place a day later is like "Welp never mind she died again"

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

whoa that looks like a guy who regularly downs 2,000+ calorie mcdonalds meals and 12 diet cokes a day

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

fun third matrix movie game

watch what Morpheus does in the plot of the third matrix movie

I also loved how the emotional crux of the second Matrix movie was Neo saving Trinity from dying and then the next movie which takes place a day later is like "Welp never mind she died again"

lol morpheus got so fat in the third matrix movie

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Looks like a stupid, tired old man.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I sometimes wonder what makes Trump decide whether today is a spray tan day or not

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
:stare:

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/942951247283400704

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Hahahaha

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Second Matrix film car chase is incredible, built a semi-interesting expanded universe scenario. Third matrix boy loving howdy is that not good.

Doesn't matter though because Speed Racer is the greatest film of all time so all other sins are forgiven.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The wachowski siblings are cool and the video game owned. The Animatrix also has a really, really, really good soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TLJb9NZN0I

Barudak posted:

Doesn't matter though because Speed Racer is the greatest film of all time so all other sins are forgiven.

MY MAN :hfive:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

nah the game was pretty trash

once you got over the whole bullet time mode it was redundant as poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It's the only film on physical media I ever bought for myself and the Blu Ray was loving worth it. Literally justified my PS3 all by itself.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Barudak posted:

Second Matrix film car chase is incredible, built a semi-interesting expanded universe scenario. Third matrix boy loving howdy is that not good.

The second matrix introduced the concept of programs designed to do certain things in the matrix that also had some autonomy. It actually reminded me of the Metaverse in Snow Crash and was hoping they would explore that angle more.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

there was a moment in the BSG series finale thread where about 25 people in a row posted some variation of "not the loving matrix ending."

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The second matrix had a weird orgy thing and also Smith exiting the matrix to pilot a human brain so gently caress that

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

The second matrix had a weird orgy thing and also Smith exiting the matrix to pilot a human brain so gently caress that

lol the subterranean rave

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Merovingian inducing an orgasm in a random hot woman reeked of some wish fulfillment too

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Barudak posted:

It's the only film on physical media I ever bought for myself and the Blu Ray was loving worth it. Literally justified my PS3 all by itself.

Seeing that movie in a movie theater is still the highest point a movie has ever achieved with me. That movie is loving perfect from start to finish and the Grand Prix / ending recaping every personal relation Speed had throughout the movie AS he finishes the final lap with the insane visuals was seriously the greatest loving thing a big screen has offered me.

Also Michael Giacchino knocked it out of the park with the soundtrack for it.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Seeing that movie in a movie theater is still the highest point a movie has ever achieved with me. That movie is loving perfect from start to finish and the Grand Prix / ending recaping every personal relation Speed had throughout the movie AS he finishes the final lap with the insane visuals was seriously the greatest loving thing a big screen has offered me.

I saw that movie high as poo poo with a friend of mine and my god was it fun.

I also caught myself doing 90 on the drive home without even realizing it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Its the only film I've ever seen multiple times in theaters its so good.

Also, not only is the ending incredible for the reasons you stated, the reveal that he has always wanted to race not to win but to obliterate his opponents is fantastic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Reminder of my favorite dumb thing from the matrix sequels

The Oracle being a computer program designed to know the future by the machines

How the gently caress did the machines program something to be an oracle

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Reminder of my favorite dumb thing from the matrix sequels

The Oracle being a computer program designed to know the future by the machines

How the gently caress did the machines program something to be an oracle

A long time ago a human managed to sneak in a looping virus into the main code that causes a reboot each time, forcing them to live out their lives in an endless cycle just like their slaves.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually the best part of the sequels is at the end of the burly brawl when they use bowling pin sounds when a bunch of Smith’s get knocked down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I actually have no idea

• Locked thread