Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
A ticket came in:

Problem description: User complains that certain mails show in his webmail app but not in Outlook.
Resolution: showed the user how to fold/unfold the 'last week' grouping view in Outlook by clicking on it.

:shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sixth and maimed posted:

A ticket came in:

Problem description: User complains that certain mails show in his webmail app but not in Outlook.
Resolution: showed the user how to fold/unfold the 'last week' grouping view in Outlook by clicking on it.

So many users "losing mail" because of category folding or crazy sorting enabled accidentally. Last week I had someone calling about a ticket he filed a month ago, about "meeting invites never showing up in his inbox, but accessible through unread items".
His inbox was sorted/grouped by "item type", and unread items by folder. So the inbox was showing all emails in a group, then all out-of-office replies, then all meeting invites, and a few more. Solved in 30 seconds by resetting sort, and explaining what was going on.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
A ticket came in.

:derp: My Windows won't boot. I shut it off Friday while it was doing updates cause I wanted to leave.

:sigh:

Best part is, we just gave this guy this laptop 2 weeks ago.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

sixth and maimed posted:

A ticket came in:

"It's not showing email from the last day!"

Every drat time.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wa27 posted:

"It's not showing email from the last day!"

Every drat time.

I had an urgent ticket for this on Friday at like 6:30. No amount of talking them through it would resolve.
I had to actually drive over there and click it for them, which was bad enough for me, but not so bad because I was on my way out already.
Sucked completely for that guy because he had an entire room full of people giving him grief about it after I showed him how to click the arrow.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had an urgent ticket for this on Friday at like 6:30. No amount of talking them through it would resolve.
I had to actually drive over there and click it for them, which was bad enough for me, but not so bad because I was on my way out already.
Sucked completely for that guy because he had an entire room full of people giving him grief about it after I showed him how to click the arrow.

Good. He'll never forget how to click that arrow now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Irritated Goat posted:

A ticket came in.

:derp: My Windows won't boot. I shut it off Friday while it was doing updates cause I wanted to leave.

To be fair, the fact that this is still a problem for Windows in 2017 is shameful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, the fact that this is still a problem for Windows in 2017 is shameful.

No software is going to like you killing it halfway through rewriting itself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No software is going to like you killing it halfway through rewriting itself.

If only there was a way to write content to a storage device and then later specify the new address to use in an atomic operation that could be retried. Alas, scientists believe that using a different file path is at least 20 years away, and for now we must continue to overwrite content in place in a risky operation.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Volmarias posted:

If only there was a way to write content to a storage device and then later specify the new address to use in an atomic operation that could be retried. Alas, scientists believe that using a different file path is at least 20 years away, and for now we must continue to overwrite content in place in a risky operation.

Essentially you're saying to use links (symbolic maybe) to libraries/drivers/system files. That would work probably, but it would require most likely a massive rewrite or the entire software update model of the OS and probably even parts of the OS itself. And who knows what other side effects it may have. Yes, I agree that it would be the correct way to go about it, but this is windows we're talking about here who values backwards compatibility too much.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, macOS will also poo poo itself hard if you kill it during an update, too.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Volmarias posted:

Pretty sure that'd gently caress with software updates too, mate. And I'm about 95% sure I can bork this iMac beside me by yanking the cord during an OS update install. I'd test, but then I'd be the one who had to fix it, so gently caress that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Tell that to my phone when I'm updating my firmware :confused:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
The same ticket came in. Nearly 2 months to the day in fact.

The bloke next door wants CAD on his computer to update building drawings.

I said to him, as I did when he requested this previously, get your boss to approve this (as the company process for updating drawings is to sub it out)
I also pointed out, he doesn't know what version he wants, therefore if his laptop is up to spec and he admits he doesn't know how to use the software. I said make sure your boss approves you to do the relevant training then as well.

His response was hmm I'll just buy it for my personal computer.

Fill your boots but our building docs cant go off site and your PC wont be coming on site.

see you in February buddy :(

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Volmarias posted:

No you're right, all the engineers at microsoft are too dang stupid to know about temporary files, that must be it, not something else like file deltas or I dunno maybe there being more than one file to update.

The real tragedy is all the work I put into my custom Windows 95 "it is now safe to turn off your computer" JPEG, lost to time by the introduction of safe automatic shutdowns.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you disable ACPI on a Windows 10 machine, and does it have a "You can turn your PC off now" screen?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GreenNight posted:

Good. He'll never forget how to click that arrow now.

You would think that would be the case, but sadly it is most often not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Usually shame is a good motivater, unless you work in sales.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It wouldn't be such a huge deal if MS had a proper Time Machine like backup system. And no File History isn't that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Volmarias posted:

The problem isn't updating one file in an atomic manner. The problem is updating twenty libraries, three executable, and fifty configuration files (or registry entries), all interdependent, in a single atomic operation.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Volmarias posted:

That is how Windows has done updates since either Vista or 7, I forget which.

nielsm posted:

The problem isn't updating one file in an atomic manner. The problem is updating twenty libraries, three executable, and fifty configuration files (or registry entries), all interdependent, in a single atomic operation.

This is the problem, not that they somehow don't know about sym links.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Well shucky darn, I finally clicked on a (pretend) phishing link. It was masquerading as a "Post-Holiday Party Survey" and had our corporate signature on it. I did observe that it was originating from "corp-hr.com" but that sounds exactly like the kind of third-party provider that we'd use to distribute a survey. We don't have very strict guidelines about requiring emails like this to originate from internal management accounts, so I fell for it.

If someone really wants to get serious about phishing, they just need to get a couple of points right and they'll nail a bunch of people. poo poo, an email saying "You have mandatory training that is overdue! Click here to complete it." would probably net 90% of recipients.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Can you disable ACPI on a Windows 10 machine, and does it have a "You can turn your PC off now" screen?

I could not for the life of me remember what the acronym was. NAPI? No that's linux. NPAPI? No that's browsers.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Macaroni posted:

Well shucky darn, I finally clicked on a (pretend) phishing link. It was masquerading as a "Post-Holiday Party Survey" and had our corporate signature on it. I did observe that it was originating from "corp-hr.com" but that sounds exactly like the kind of third-party provider that we'd use to distribute a survey. We don't have very strict guidelines about requiring emails like this to originate from internal management accounts, so I fell for it.

If someone really wants to get serious about phishing, they just need to get a couple of points right and they'll nail a bunch of people. poo poo, an email saying "You have mandatory training that is overdue! Click here to complete it." would probably net 90% of recipients.

For better or for worse, anything that comes from anything that's not "ourcompanyname.com" is immediately suspect and security starts getting pings in slack, to the point where they have to pre-announce "expect a mass email from X domain about Y subject" if they don't want to be swamped.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I assume that you still get pings even with the warning.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
If the announcement hasn't scrolled out of the channel, usually not, at least in public. I don't know what volume of queries gets PM'd to the security team.

That said, it's a young(er) and tech-based company so the average level of tech competency is probably higher than the average, so it's probably not an approach that would work everywhere.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GreenNight posted:

Usually shame is a good motivater, unless you work in sales.

Shame is a great motivator. Sometimes it motivates them to pay attention and fix the problem they are ashamed about, but sometimes it just means that next time a similar thing happens they'll just be motivated to not tell anybody about it and fake their way through their job forevermore.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Che Delilas posted:

Shame is a great motivator. Sometimes it motivates them to pay attention and fix the problem they are ashamed about, but sometimes it just means that next time a similar thing happens they'll just be motivated to not tell anybody about it and fake their way through their job forevermore.

I use shame to badger people in to contacting me earlier. "you've been dealing with this how long? You realize I just fixed this for you in 5 minutes. You didn't have 5 minutes before now? Really?"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm excellent at faking my way through work, and my love life.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GreenNight posted:

I'm excellent at faking my way through work, and my love life.

:same: and for anything else there is Google.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zil posted:

:same: and for anything else there is Google.

especially useful for faking a love life

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

AIX 7.2 can do live kernel updates now.

Get on my level.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Irritated Goat posted:

A ticket came in.

gently caress Windows forever for applying updates on shutdown instead of giving you an option to install and restart as soon as they're staged.

I'm shutting down my PC because I'm about to leave, ffs, not because I have another 20 minutes to watch a DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR PC screen.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Weatherman posted:

gently caress Windows forever for applying updates on shutdown instead of giving you an option to install and restart as soon as they're staged.

I'm shutting down my PC because I'm about to leave, ffs, not because I have another 20 minutes to watch a DO NOT TURN OFF OR UNPLUG YOUR PC screen.

Just click shutdown and leave. It will finish when it will finish. When you start again, it'll continue. There's definitely no reason to babysit it.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Get on my level.

Oracle has been trying to sell that to me for a few years now for their oracle linux distro. What a bunch of poo poo. While a cool technology in and of itself, if you have a system that cannot be shutdown/restarted at all for any reason, you have bigger issues on your hands than a "live kernel update". It is, however, nice to have for patching vulnerabilities now but not having to restart until the next maintenance window.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Volguus posted:

Just click shutdown and leave. It will finish when it will finish. When you start again, it'll continue. There's definitely no reason to babysit it.

There's no way I'm putting a laptop doing updates into my bag with no air circulation hoping it doesn't melt under the stress of updating.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Get on my level.

Volguus posted:

Oracle has been trying to sell that to me for a few years now for their oracle linux distro. What a bunch of poo poo. While a cool technology in and of itself, if you have a system that cannot be shutdown/restarted at all for any reason, you have bigger issues on your hands than a "live kernel update". It is, however, nice to have for patching vulnerabilities now but not having to restart until the next maintenance window.

SUSE has it too.
https://www.suse.com/products/live-patching/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRlTISvjww

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I'm unable to sign into AIM? Was there a policy change? Is it blocked at the firewall? Can you advise?

Update: I can't sign in on my phone either? Please help?

EDIT: My reaction was "did you miss the fact that for weeks now every time you logged in they told you it was going away?"

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 19, 2017

mewse
May 2, 2006

sfwarlock posted:

I'm unable to sign into AIM? Was there a policy change? Is it blocked at the firewall? Can you advise?

RIP

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

sfwarlock posted:

EDIT: My reaction was "did you miss the fact that for weeks now every time you logged in they told you it was going away?"

I thought the mythical 'AIM in 2017' user was just hipsters using it ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I’d love to be the guy to tell him that it’s EOL and good luck.

• Locked thread