Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
South Australians are dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

How would the Feds cope with having a non big-two-party premier?

Throw them some pork and get them to vote for whatever lovely, lovely bills they want to pass.

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Things are looking up for QLD's crowning as the best state.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I warned you all about QLD being the best

I told you dog

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

CrazyTolradi posted:

What myki inspectors?
Duh!? The unmanned drone ones.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Xenophon's SA Best gains stunning lead over Labor and Liberal: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-19/xenophons-sa-best-leading-newspolls-popularity-poll/9270690

How would the Feds cope with having a non big-two-party premier? Has this happened before in recent history?

It's pretty much unprecedented in the modern era. You'd have to go back to pre-WW2 to find something close to it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh my god SA what are you doing :doh:

At least if we elect a third-party premier it'll be Nick rather than Pauline, so that's a point in our favour. But if we do, we can be ignored/screwed over by the fed no matter who's in power!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh, read the rest, he's not running in enough seats to have any real power, just balance of power.

What do you all think? I reckon he'd bleed votes from both sides (being centrist and all) but probably Labor more.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It would be great to see a middle finger to the big two, politics needs a kick in the junk. I don't particularly like Xenephon but I don't particularly like most politicians.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think between the Greens in Tasmania and the ACT, SA Best in SA, and the makeup of the federal Senate people are going to need to get used to minority government.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/942868427357675520

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That look on his face just says "if I had a peanut allergy I could end it all now..."

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think between the Greens in Tasmania and the ACT, SA Best in SA, and the makeup of the federal Senate people are going to need to get used to minority government.

Also Labor in Victoria are looking less and less likely to form another majority government in the foreseeable future.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Anidav posted:

I warned you all about QLD being the best

I told you dog
No fear of that coming to pass, Anime Man

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also Labor in Victoria are looking less and less likely to form another majority government in the foreseeable future.
"No minority government with the Greens" is exactly the hill Dandrews shouldn't die on, but will because LABAH

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

"What have I done? How did it turn out this way? I could have had my own show on the ABC."

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Oh, read the rest, he's not running in enough seats to have any real power, just balance of power.

What do you all think? I reckon he'd bleed votes from both sides (being centrist and all) but probably Labor more.

Xenophon is both desperate for power and terrified of having enough of it to be accountable.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

Xenophon is both desperate for power and terrified of having enough of it to be accountable.

A true centrist.

"It's election day here in SA and Nick Xenophon's just won big! Any words, Nick?"

"Tell my wife I said... hello."

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

"No minority government with the Greens" is exactly the hill Dandrews shouldn't die on, but will because LABAH

To be fair literally every time Labor goes into government with the Greens they (if not both parties) lose massively immediately afterwards thanks to the LNP yelling at the top of their lungs how THE RADICAL EXTREME GREENS ARE THE PRIME MINISTER and the Greens inevitably disappointing everyone and failing to deliver thanks to governing with LABAH

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 19, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seeing chris suffer is the best

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's almost as if most Australians don't want to elect the greens.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

It's almost as if most Australians don't want to elect the greens.

Most Australians are wrong and don't know what they need.

Glorious Leader Di Natalie knows what's good for them though.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

JBP posted:

It's almost as if most Australians are complete shitheads

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
If you’re not a greens voter you are unironically Hitler.

- Auspol, 2017

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

bigis posted:

- Auspol, 2017

Someone post that photo where Parliament is voting on concentration camps for refugees and it's just Bandt and Wilkie voting against it.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

bigis posted:

- Auspol, 2017

This is literally true and I'm not even using the SA definition of literally

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

please dont yell at him, my son is easily led.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol so few women getting cabinet positions that Turnbull has to namedrop an assisstant minister.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

This would never happen on the superior morning show, Get Kracken'

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Aesculus posted:

To be fair literally every time Labor goes into government with the Greens they (if not both parties) lose massively immediately afterwards thanks to the LNP yelling at the top of their lungs how THE RADICAL EXTREME GREENS ARE THE PRIME MINISTER and the Greens inevitably disappointing everyone and failing to deliver thanks to governing with LABAH

ACT 2012 doesn't really count. Greens vote went backwards, but it wasn't exactly a collapse, and grew again in 2016.

Obviously the ACT Labor/Greens governing coalition could not possibly be replicated anywhere else because every other state Labor party is hosed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kafka Syrup posted:

ACT 2012 doesn't really count. Greens vote went backwards, but it wasn't exactly a collapse, and grew again in 2016.

Obviously the ACT Labor/Greens governing coalition could not possibly be replicated anywhere else because every other state Labor party is hosed.

Why do you propose "hosed" Labor would entertain a coalition with a deeply unpopular party among their working class heartland seats? They're losing aspirational and established middle class voters to the greens, I don't think they need to actively court failure in hotly contested old party seats.

I feel like this is asking for Labor to lose seats and doom any conciliatory ALP and Greens voting blocs that might be of use should the ALP scrape through.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

The rule is in a coalition government, three things can happen:

The major party falls, the Libs rule for a thousand year Abetzreich
The minor party falls, Australia has no decently left-wing party anymore
Both fall, the Libs rule for a thousand year Abetzreich and Australia has no decently left-wing party anymore

All of these are bad things.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

Why do you propose "hosed" Labor would entertain a coalition with a deeply unpopular party among their working class heartland seats? They're losing aspirational and established middle class voters to the greens, I don't think they need to actively court failure in hotly contested old party seats.

I feel like this is asking for Labor to lose seats and doom any conciliatory ALP and Greens voting blocs that might be of use should the ALP scrape through.

I wouldn't. I agree it'd be a terrible strategic idea. But ACT Labor also largely a much easier entity to deal with, both in Parliament and in the party apparatus. The whole thing is a lot more amenable and less media-driven than my experience with both Labor and the Greens in other states.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kafka Syrup posted:

this analysis is dangerous because it suggests that ACT labor isn’t hosed, when it absolutely is. ACT labor has been successful in spite of being just as hosed as other state labor parties because the liberals have barely any base in canberra.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

BBJoey posted:

this analysis is dangerous because it suggests that ACT labor isn’t hosed, when it absolutely is. ACT labor has been successful in spite of being just as hosed as other state labor parties because the liberals have barely any base in canberra.

The Canberra Liberals are somehow more hosed than Liberals elsewhere. They're swinging more and more to the Christian Right, despite their entire voter base in Canberra being either upper class NIMBY types (being picked up by the Greens very rapidly) or anti-establishment "gently caress the system" types (being picked up by the Sex Party and probably One Nation at the next election).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Who exactly is the Australian working class JBP speaks of? Is it the FYGM boomers or the younger workers who struggle to get enough hours to make ends meet and get hosed over by unions like the SDA?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Kafka Syrup posted:

The Canberra Liberals are somehow more hosed than Liberals elsewhere. They're swinging more and more to the Christian Right, despite their entire voter base in Canberra being either upper class NIMBY types (being picked up by the Greens very rapidly) or anti-establishment "gently caress the system" types (being picked up by the Sex Party and probably One Nation at the next election).

Yeah, the only explanation i can think of is that their strategist is an ALP plant because the right wing of Canberra is not a large well to draw from.

A vaguely centrist liberal party would probably romp it in in Canberra just because after more than a decade of single party rule the feckless swing voters get restless for change, but the ACT liberals’ only policy positions seem to be 1) we hate trams 2) we hate diversity.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

CrazyTolradi posted:

Who exactly is the Australian working class JBP speaks of? Is it the FYGM boomers or the younger workers who struggle to get enough hours to make ends meet and get hosed over by unions like the SDA?

Well you see it's the kind of people you'd find working at the Holden pla-

Uh, the kind of people you'd find working at the Toyota pla-

Erm, the kind of people you'd find working at the Mitsubishi pla-

Australian Submarine Cor-

Liddell Pow-

Help me out here guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Night Shade posted:

Well you see it's the kind of people you'd find working at the Holden pla-

Uh, the kind of people you'd find working at the Toyota pla-

Erm, the kind of people you'd find working at the Mitsubishi pla-

Australian Submarine Cor-

Liddell Pow-

Help me out here guys

Poor people who happen to also hate other poor people? (as opposed to rich people who hate poor people and poor people who hate themselves who obviously vote Tory)

BBJoey posted:

Yeah, the only explanation i can think of is that their strategist is an ALP plant because the right wing of Canberra is not a large well to draw from.

A vaguely centrist liberal party would probably romp it in in Canberra just because after more than a decade of single party rule the feckless swing voters get restless for change, but the ACT liberals’ only policy positions seem to be 1) we hate trams 2) we hate diversity.

Oh they got a new one on the recent countback. 3) we hate queers.

Sex Party's imploded too. Canberra's basically destined to be a Labor/Green coalition in one form or another for the foreseeable future, with just the power ratio between Unity : Left : CPSU : Greens changing election to election.

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Dec 19, 2017

• Locked thread