Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

For that 1500pt tourney I'm thinking:

2x 2 Kastellans with triple guns
2x Neutron laser Onagers
1x Knight w/ thermal + gatling
1x harassment chicken walker

Whatever other poo poo fills out 1500pts

It should be a proper bully against most people who I suspect might not be equipped to deal with it. Only problem is it's super loving vulnerable to deep strike - Scion spam will not be its friend, although I'm the only person I know who runs it.

Im on to you :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Serotonin posted:

Im on to you :69snypa:

Are you about in the week after Christmas? We can finally get that game in.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

DiHK posted:

Yeah, 2k points I can do what I want comfortably, but at 100 PL I can barely fill out 1800 points. I do want to stick with the Wraithguard/blades, principile army theme and all.

I CAN squeeze out two 1 point detachments but I think I'm going to just do one. I'd rather have the wraith lord than the warwalker.

verses the following

I actually think you’re better off with the scorpions AND the war walker compared to the Wraithlord, having some built in deep strike threat is no bad thing. Alternatively you can web strike the wraithguard and stick the scorps in one of the serpents if you want to get them in more reliably.

TBH these lists are much of a muchness, and both look better than the attempt to squeeze a brigade in, so go with whichever makes you happier!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Corrode posted:

Are you about in the week after Christmas? We can finally get that game in.

Im working sadly but might be able to squeeze an evening game in.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

One_Wing posted:

war walker compared to the Wraithlord

Wraithlord looks cooler :colbert:

E: If I can get rangers before Adepticon I will do that.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I bought a box of gants just for testing hive fleet schemes on.

And that's how I'm attempting the true fool's errand of making Devilgants work.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I bought a box of gants just for testing hive fleet schemes on.

And that's how I'm attempting the true fool's errand of making Devilgants work.

Popping them up with a Trygon and have them erase something? I wouldn't know, I painted a bunch of hormagaunts and I think I'm done with little guys for a while.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Deified Data posted:

Popping them up with a Trygon and have them erase something? I wouldn't know, I painted a bunch of hormagaunts and I think I'm done with little guys for a while.

Yeah, I'm mainly aiming for what is apparently called "Midzilla". All the mid-size Nid stuff. Broodlord, Hive/Tyrant Guard, Warriors, Raveners etc. The biggest I ideally wanna go is Trygons or Carnifexes (Carnifexii?)

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Vendettas are... scary.

But they're at guard BS, plus the movement penalty means they're not going to hit poo poo.

Is what I thought before a pair of them wiped out my space marine air wing.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Vendettas are... scary.

But they're at guard BS, plus the movement penalty means they're not going to hit poo poo.

Is what I thought before a pair of them wiped out my space marine air wing.

How'd they pull that off? They hit on a 4+, presumably have a -1 for moving and another -1 for targeting your flyers. They have a lot of lascannons but hitting on sixes is rough.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Deified Data posted:

You pop them with a Trygon Prime for Synapse.

You then fire 90 shots at someone. You then use Single-Minded Annihilation and do it again.

And then you fire the Trygon's poo poo and charge someone.

Bonus points for screaming "Delete, Delete, Delete."

Further Bonus points if you're running Kronos and hit even harder or Jormungandr and laugh because your dudes are now in cover.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Deified Data posted:

lol got a buddy I introduced to the game back in June starting to turn into one of those backseat rules know-it-alls who second guesses everything you do whether he's actually playing or not. He's very invested in knowing more about the game than me and the other guy we started playing with and I'm trying to think of a way to break this to him without hurting his enthusiasm for the game. He'll "did you know..." at you in the middle of a game and the information he provides could be something you just talked about the other day. Like yeah I know, I'm the one who told you lol. Honestly I'm just venting more than asking for advice since I know the answer is to just tell him straight up to trust that I know my own loving army, obviously. Anyone else have friends you get along with swimmingly everywhere but the Hams table?

Absolutely. I have a buddy at my flgs that started playing 8th the same day it released just like me that is constantly giving me "tips" on how to better field my army. Unwarranted advice, or straight up passive aggressively poopoo-ing my plans on buying certain units I want. I just laugh it off and say "okay dude".

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
How the gently caress do you fit 30 Devilgaunts wholly within 3” of a Trygon after popping out of the tunnel and still have them close enough to all fire?

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 18, 2017

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

PantsOptional posted:

How the gently caress do you fit 30 Devilgaunts wholly within 3” of a Trygon after popping out of the tunnel and still have them close enough to all fire?

The 18” range on the Devourer affords you a good amount of leeway.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

PantsOptional posted:

I can confirm that it does happen, and it does kill most of your IG infantry if your opponent then spends 2CP to have them do it all again. I think you have to completely surround the trygon though, neutering its charge potential. Does 3" mean wholly within, or near base rim just inside 3"? Genuinely unsure.

Pendent posted:

How'd they pull that off? They hit on a 4+, presumably have a -1 for moving and another -1 for targeting your flyers. They have a lot of lascannons but hitting on sixes is rough.

I would also like to know this. I mean, you can use them hovering, but that just seems a really boring use of 'flyers' as really tall tanks, like IG quad-las predators.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

PierreTheMime posted:

The 18” range on the Devourer affords you a good amount of leeway.

Ah, poo poo, I got it mixed up with the flesh borer again.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

PantsOptional posted:

They can fit but charging with the Trygon is out the window.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Absolutely. I have a buddy at my flgs that started playing 8th the same day it released just like me that is constantly giving me "tips" on how to better field my army. Unwarranted advice, or straight up passive aggressively poopoo-ing my plans on buying certain units I want. I just laugh it off and say "okay dude".

Yuuup. I do believe it's out of a genuine desire to be helpful and the "go-to guy" for advice (which is itself an ego trip but at least a positive one), but there's really no way to go about this without being patronizing. Except, you know, waiting for other people to ask you for advice first! My guy is a bit less helpful and a bit more "did you know you were doing this wrong", which is, eh...

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

DiHK posted:

Wraithlord looks cooler :colbert:

E: If I can get rangers before Adepticon I will do that.

That I won’t argue.

A squad of rangers to help screen is always good. They also provoke disproportionate panic from opponents while being disproportionately hard to murder, which is always nice.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Scout Sentinels are also excellent.

Before the game they get a free 9" movement, so you extend a further 9" bubble from your lines to prevent deep strikers. It's pretty great.

Arm them with Heavy Flamers to get a fun overwatch.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Tallarn ignore the penalty for moving and shooting heavy weapons. Maybe that's part of it?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

Before the game they get a free 9" movement, so you extend a further 9" bubble from your lines to prevent deep strikers. It's pretty great.

The Sex Cannon used this to great effect.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Yeast posted:

And they're still one of the sweetest models gw had made

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I would also like to know this. I mean, you can use them hovering, but that just seems a really boring use of 'flyers' as really tall tanks, like IG quad-las predators.

Yeah they were hovering in this situation.

The rest was just playing the odds with six lascannons each.

Stormtalon got wiped when two hit and rolled 12 damage. Storm hawk also got hit twice but needed to be finished off with an earthshaker cannon to the cockpit. Next turn the Fire Raptor went though to be fair that one took a melta hit already.

Not saying it's efficient or anything. Just that I ignored them as an anti-flyer threat and paid for it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Interesting, I guess partly luck and partly the right weapons used efficiently.

Seconding all sentinel chat, both for the screening use, grabbing objectives and for filling out a Brigade for CP, I consider them an auto take for my IG.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
With new synapse ranges devilgants work great. 180 S4 shots is like the history eraser button.

Just throw them in a pod, or bring them up with Raveners if you are using Jormangundr. Three Raveners gives you a huge deployment area.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Deified Data posted:

They can fit but charging with the Trygon is out the window.

That's what onslaught is for!

TKIY posted:

With new synapse ranges devilgants work great. 180 S4 shots is like the history eraser button.

Just throw them in a pod, or bring them up with Raveners if you are using Jormangundr. Three Raveners gives you a huge deployment area.

Also this.

Jormangundr is just really silly.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I will never understand why they didn't make the Trygon Prime an HQ unit so that you can have a full army of only snake things (rippers/raveners/etc)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A model that disembarks using grav chute insertion can still move, right?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Scout sentinels do rock, of money and time were no object I'd do catachans with two 3 units of them, one with Las cannons and one with heavy flamers.

One_Wing posted:

That I won’t argue.

A squad of rangers to help screen is always good. They also provoke disproportionate panic from opponents while being disproportionately hard to murder, which is always nice.

I feel like the Scorpions and the war walker would be a bit vulnerable on a lone deep strike. Adding a ranger unit to that would make me very comfortable with a flanking wing.

I may well be missing some synergy there between them and the shining spears. I dunno, I'm deff open to both idea. Will be testing this out soon and there's plenty of time to practice before march.

Think I'm gonna start searching on eBay for rangers.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

DiHK posted:

Scout sentinels do rock, of money and time were no object I'd do catachans with two 3 units of them, one with Las cannons and one with heavy flamers.

I feel like the Scorpions and the war walker would be a bit vulnerable on a lone deep strike. Adding a ranger unit to that would make me very comfortable with a flanking wing.

I may well be missing some synergy there between them and the shining spears. I dunno, I'm deff open to both idea. Will be testing this out soon and there's plenty of time to practice before march.

Think I'm gonna start searching on eBay for rangers.

The dirty secret of high drop count Eldar armies is that you can afford to lose a few small units as a distraction or a positioning thing. My last opponent was feeling very pleased with themselves after they cratered three aspect warrior units in their first turn, but then the rest of my army cracked back and blew three stormravens to smithereens. All the units are so fast and deadly that you can concentrate violence in the places it needs to go even after a few losses have been sustained.

On reflection you might have enough vehicles to make the wraithlord is a good idea though - their normal problem is that anti-tank neuters them too effectively, but given you already have a crap tonne of tanks a wraithlord is win-win - either they shoot at the lord first rather than the prisms, in which case hey you’ve still got prisms, or the lord makes it to their lines, in which case hooray for punching.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I often run a 3 Wraithlord detachment and they never let me down. A lone Wraithlord sucks but when you have several to put pressure on the enemy in different ways, they can do a lot of damage and then they get into melee and wreck face.

Anti-tank? Not a problem because I also run a hemlock and everything shoots at that despite the fact that I use lightning fast reactions on it every turn, which means it can easily soak a lot of fire.

Or people shoot at my rangers, which is just weird.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

TKIY posted:

Is 180 shots from two groups of 30?

NM it's the stratagem isn't it

muggins fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 19, 2017

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Started on this guy with the new BA codex. With how strong librarian dreads are I wanted something suitably matching on the table. The wings do make it hard to position, and being taller than a boxdread has been bad for hiding in cover, but I really like it. I had a lot of trouble with the pigments to do dust on the legs. I'd get a nice dusty looking bit on, then hit it lightly with pigment fixer (by loading up a brush and tapping it near the top to let it flow over the area) and all the dust would vanish. Same technique worked perfectly to do black dust on my Imperial Fists. Not sure if its because of the lighter pigments or because these are Vallejo pigments instead of Secret Weapon. Varnish also gave me a hard time, I think I got it too glossy while doing my decals and the dullcote wouldn't matte it down no matter what I did. Probably a dozen thin coats of dullcote from two different cans. Ended up getting some of the Army Painter matte varnish which ended up working, though it left a bit of texture (not that you can really see it in person)

Bonus JP captain with combi-melta and thunderhammer I cranked out in half a day for a game.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

So I finally bought the new guard codex. I thought I had read that commissars suck now but they are basically unchanged.. Is 1d4chan wrong?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
That dreadnought actually makes me wonder if I might be able to pull of a conversion using a Redemptor as the base. Your contemptor librarian definitely looks pretty rad.

I hate that you can spend half a day painting a captain and make it look better than something I spend a week on. I do love that you did that forgeworld chest up the same way I did mine..

I guess I could post my own guy I'm complaining about but he getting his sword arm replaced with a thunderhammer at the moment. Maybe once he's done again.

Edit: Commissars were nerfed in an errata like a week after the codex released

Pendent fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 19, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

That's literally the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

So I might as well just loving throw this codex in the trash? By "errata" do you mean the $35 dollar chapter approved book?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

The Kingfish posted:

So I might as well just loving throw this codex in the trash? By "errata" do you mean the $35 dollar chapter approved book?

No. Even with the commissar nerf the Guard Codex is still arguably the best book out. They're super powerful with all their doctrines and orders and relics. Command points all day.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

That dreadnought actually makes me wonder if I might be able to pull of a conversion using a Redemptor as the base. Your contemptor librarian definitely looks pretty rad.

I hate that you can spend half a day painting a captain and make it look better than something I spend a week on. I do love that you did that forgeworld chest up the same way I did mine..

I guess I could post my own guy I'm complaining about but he getting his sword arm replaced with a thunderhammer at the moment. Maybe once he's done again.

Edit: Commissars were nerfed in an errata like a week after the codex released

Thanks. Half a day really means closer to 7 hours. About 8pm to 11pm one night then 8am to 11am the next day before the game. And that doesn't include varnish. Key was to get the texture paint put down before going to sleep and timing things like a shower while washes dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Frrriiick.

Commissars and conscripts have been my favorite since like three editions ago and I was stoked on how good they were on the index. At least vanilla LRs look like they are worth fielding again.

Can I still field a wave of mans now that conscripts aren't great and commissars are clearly awful?