Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's going to be up to the individual states now. I'm fairly confident California will require net neutrality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There are also several cities like Philadelphia which have municipal internet provided by the city at way cheap or free.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think this peaked when a goon actually messaged Saab on Facebook to ask about specs for an export fighter when nobody else could figure it out.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Verizon and Comcast and maaaaybe AT&T have been huge pushers of killing net neutrality. Think any of them will see loss from it?

Actually, I think you'll see that Comcast cares about net neutrality

https://twitter.com/comcast/status/885165857810386946

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Waffleman_ posted:

There are also several cities like Philadelphia which have municipal internet provided by the city at way cheap or free.

Uh...definitely not Philly. Philly tried. It crashed and burned.

https://technical.ly/philly/2015/03/04/cities-learn-phillys-failed-municipal-broadband-effort/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well drat, someone needs to update Wikipedia then.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Andorra posted:

Actually, I think you'll see that Comcast cares about net neutrality

https://twitter.com/comcast/status/885165857810386946

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcny_pixDw

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Beachcomber posted:

Bad-ish advertising: Blue Buffalo Wild Cat.

Commercial shows pictures of lynx. Tells the viewer that the lynx is the ancestor of your housecat. :eng99:
Yeah, that bugged me too. I mean, on one level I can't really blame them, since the wild ancestor of the domestic cat looks...

...exactly like a generic-rear end cat.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
How come we turned a wolf into a Shihtzu but cats got away with looking basically the same?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

AgentF posted:

How come we turned a wolf into a Shihtzu but cats got away with looking basically the same?
Cats aren't actually domesticated.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I've only seen Smeg in the Great British Bake Off. They don't really sell them in the US, and we just did fridge shopping.

Bad-ish advertising: Blue Buffalo Wild Cat.

Commercial shows pictures of lynx. Tells the viewer that the lynx is the ancestor of your housecat. :eng99:

If you're in North America, don't buy a SMEG fridge. Their compressors are garbage and the parts are all non-standard proprietary ones and priced to match with is next to no service network. The small appliances are pricey but decent.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

AgentF posted:

Dogs have been extensively purpose-bred for specific jobs and functions, many of which have required substantial changes in size and shape (like chasing prey down warrens). Cats have only ever had two jobs, companionship and vermin control, both of which the standard cat body type does fine. Cat fanciers are starting to develop some weirder purebreds, but there's just not widespread pressure to diversify cat appearance in the same way we've done for dogs.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, that bugged me too. I mean, on one level I can't really blame them, since the wild ancestor of the domestic cat looks...

...exactly like a generic-rear end cat.

The last time the lynx and the cat had a common ancestor was 7 million years ago. Which was about when humans first started to diverge from what would become chimps.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Cats are perfect and will never change because of that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Cats are perfect and will never change because of that.

perfect embodiments of evil and uselessness, that is

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Mierenneuker posted:

And make a podcast about it. I hear people are interested in those kind of journeys into insanity.

That sounds like the worst idea of all time

Podcast

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

steinrokkan posted:

Actually cats are holy and perfect. Dogs on the other hand are haram.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

steinrokkan posted:

Perfect companion for humanity then.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Antivehicular posted:

Dogs have been extensively purpose-bred for specific jobs and functions, many of which have required substantial changes in size and shape (like chasing prey down warrens).
The best example of this is the dachshund's curled tail: if they get stuck in a burrow and need to be pulled out it acts as a handle. No joke.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

AgentF posted:

Arguably cats are descended from the North African version of the wildcat, but sadly it looks even more like a normal housecat:

Then again who would want to change this wondeful creature 🐈

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Humans really did a number on wolves, but the biggest change with cats has been behaviour and psychology. Domestic cats- hell, probably domestic anything- are super-social compared to their wild counterparts, with behaviours adapted to living in large concentrations with an abundance of food.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
This is from a few days ago but gently caress you for this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Antivehicular posted:

Dogs have been extensively purpose-bred for specific jobs and functions, many of which have required substantial changes in size and shape (like chasing prey down warrens). Cats have only ever had two jobs, companionship and vermin control, both of which the standard cat body type does fine. Cat fanciers are starting to develop some weirder purebreds, but there's just not widespread pressure to diversify cat appearance in the same way we've done for dogs.

Speaking as someone who works in rescue, whoever bred the loving American shorthair needs to be gagged and smothered in their snot for the rest of their lives.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

Humans really did a number on wolves, but the biggest change with cats has been behaviour and psychology. Domestic cats- hell, probably domestic anything- are super-social compared to their wild counterparts, with behaviours adapted to living in large concentrations with an abundance of food.

Well, cats domesticated themselves, wolves did not.

e: Wait this isn't the funny pictures thread. Is it cat day in pyf or something?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cowslips Warren posted:

Speaking as someone who works in rescue, whoever bred the loving American shorthair needs to be gagged and smothered in their snot for the rest of their lives.

It really pisses me off people intentionally bred those short legged cats because it's Funny".
Should seriously be illegal to do "wacky" breeds.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Cowslips Warren posted:

I'm finding stuff about heart disease, but otherwise I'm not really finding what's wrong with this breed?

edit: Like I'm not finding any information about what you're describing

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z5jTGFBdZw

According to Animal Planet, those American Shorthairs are among the healthiest and low maintenance cats around.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Cats are ins ànely smooth in every direction you pet them and is dumb marketing that made people think you cannot feel the multi directional smoothness.

The PYF jokes are spreading bwargh! !!!

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My cat likes to be petted in all directions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

walrusman posted:

My cat likes to be petted in all directions.

Does your "cat" bark?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bloop posted:

Does your "cat" bark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ZU04U-xAo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

value-brand cereal posted:

Cats are ins ànely smooth in every direction you pet them and is dumb marketing that made people think you cannot feel the multi directional smoothness.

The PYF jokes are spreading bwargh! !!!

But does Enrique purr? Walla.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is this a regional thing? Isn't "Domestic Short Hair" the name for literally any mixed breed cat with short hair? That's how it is in California.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
They didn't say domestic shorthair, they said American shorthair. DSH is "generic cat." ASH is an actual breed.

E: DHS can look like anything as long as the hair's short. American shorthairs look like this:

Rat Patrol has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Dec 21, 2017

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Dude, that’s just a basic cat. Couldn’t look any more basic if it was sipping on a pumpkin spice latte.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm a cat owner and I still feel this is true:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Looks like a domestic shortfuse to me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm a cat owner and I still feel this is true:

My coworkers were talking about their dogs and their favorite dog breeds and all I could think of saying was "I have a cat and he's an rear end in a top hat"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Len posted:

My coworkers were talking about their dogs and their favorite dog breeds and all I could think of saying was "I have a cat and he's an rear end in a top hat"

I usually mention that my cat is a Siamese because they are notably more annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

my cat is a Siamese/ASH mix w/flamepoint and there are some behavioral quirks

basically cat fanciers went "Siamese cats are smart but frail and american shorthairs are hardy but dumb as rocks" and kept breeding them, getting tons and tons of frail idiot cats until landing on color points, who are super healthy *and* smart enough to be truly obnoxious

he talks a lot tho and I like that :3: