Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Dessel posted:

And are there any people still around who were doing it for EP4-6?
Ben Burtt and John Williams, at least.

For your other questions, I know the TFA artbook had a lot of ILM concept artists from the prequels, and a lot of other ILM people like John Knoll are still there as well.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

Dern's character just kind of comes out of nowhere and I found myself not caring so much about her sacrifice.

I don't know what to tell you if you can't appreciate the sacrifice of the universe in losing that dress!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Hobo Clown posted:

Poe being the one to kamikaze himself into Snoke's ship would've made a great moment even better. Poe's whole plan to get the master code cracker directly leads to Benicio del Toro telling the FO about the hidden escape pods and getting all of those people killed, so he could have made up for his mistake. Dern's character just kind of comes out of nowhere and I found myself not caring so much about her sacrifice. Then you'd have Finn trying to go out like his bro before Rose stops him.

My personal feelings upon seeing it were more along the lines of "oh here's that character I didn't trust or like, but it turns out she was right and she's dedicated enough to the cause to stay aboard the doomed ship and suicide ram it into the First Order ship."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AccountSupervisor posted:

This is pretty much what happens.

Yeah I guess that's alright, but I was more hoping for a casting call, maybe some auditions.

"Where do you see yourself in five years?"

"Standing over your cold corpse after choking you to death"

"Very nice, very nice"

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Goffer posted:

Search your feeling

I find it strange that Snoke was talking about how because Kylo was Evil, the Good would rise up to meet him (and he thought it would be Skywalker). But if there's a balance and Good and Evil balance themselves out, who is balancing out Snoke?

Luke?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Hobo Clown posted:

Poe being the one to kamikaze himself into Snoke's ship would've made a great moment even better. Poe's whole plan to get the master code cracker directly leads to Benicio del Toro telling the FO about the hidden escape pods and getting all of those people killed, so he could have made up for his mistake. Dern's character just kind of comes out of nowhere and I found myself not caring so much about her sacrifice. Then you'd have Finn trying to go out like his bro before Rose stops him.

What was going on with Dern's character was that you were supposed to say, "Ha, this lady is a total heartless bitch and she's going to get them all killed and I hate her! Go Poe!" so that it would be a dramatic twist when it turned out she had a plan all along and then she goes out like a hero, and oh my God, can you actually believe you're crying real tears now for this character you held nothing but contempt for not ten minutes ago? Oh, the wonder of storytelling!

Except that Laura Dern's character doesn't actually come across as all that interesting or objectionable so when Poe goes all mutiny on her rear end I kind of just don't care and, if anything, think Poe is an rear end in a top hat. So anyway, the twist didn't have any impact for me and Laura Dern's kamikaze death sequence just felt like, "Oh, it's this scene. The heroic sacrifice scene. This scene is happening now, again."

But yeah, the side plot with the code cracker is really weird because it goes off on such a tangent and takes up so much time in the movie and then amounts to absolutely jack poo poo. And then Laura Dern has to kill herself to save the movie. She's a dedicated actress.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

In retrospect I thought it would have been powerful if maybe in the exchange between Holdo and Leia where its explained someone has to stay behind as the transports make their way to Crait, Leia overrules Holdo and tells her to get on the transport. Think it was a missed opportunity to have Leia be the one to do the lightspeed kamikaze. How badass would that have been as a send off for Carrie with Leia going out like a mother loving boss. Could have been a good parallel scene too, where the moment the light speed ramming and explosion happens, the film could cut to Luke having the same reaction Obi-Wan did when Alderaan was destroyed.

But if that were the case, then we wouldn't have gotten the scene with force projected Luke and Leia in the base on Crait so I'm ok with the way it happened.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 19, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Snoke's name rhymes with his purpose. He is smoke, just there to obscure the real threat. I hope they toss his mangled body into the loving trash compactor and never speak about his dumb, boring rear end ever again.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

he's a joke!! oh wait thats not where you were going nevermind

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I just got out of the theater and thought this movie was super good, but I'm totally upset that they killed off that really cute A-Wing pilot, Tally! She was cool and A-Wings are my favorite foods fighters!

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I'm trying to decide whether or not TLJ will be the opposite of TFA in terms of fan reception, that is, that it will get a lot of poo poo initially but will slowly build acceptance as time goes on. It clearly tries to do the opposite of TFA in many things, but I don't know if that indicates it will have to opposite affect.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I'm trying to decide whether or not TLJ will be the opposite of TFA in terms of fan reception, that is, that it will get a lot of poo poo initially but will slowly build acceptance as time goes on. It clearly tries to do the opposite of TFA in many things, but I don't know if that indicates it will have to opposite affect.

It is the first star war film since RotS that has interesting things to discuss beyond the plot level so I think it will take longer for the standard cycle of this thread to resume

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Fair enough. I also wonder how Star Wars fans responded to Empire when it first came out. Not that TLJ is of the same quality, but i could see many similar issues being brought up.
"Boba Fett was such a waste!"
"If Vader is Luke's father, than Obi Wan lied. They're destroying his character!"
"Han shouldn't end up with Leia, in Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Luke was with her!"
"This Yoda guy talks weird and isn't funny."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Fair enough. I also wonder how Star Wars fans responded to Empire when it first came out. Not that TLJ is of the same quality, but i could see many similar issues being brought up.
"If Vader is Luke's father, than Obi Wan lied. They're destroying his character!"
"Han shouldn't end up with Leia, in Splinter of the Mind's Eye, Luke was with her!"

Insert that image of the early internet people talking about how the Homer goes to college episode was the worst piece of poo poo the Simpsons ever did.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

It is the first star war film since RotS that has interesting things to discuss beyond the plot level

Rogue One

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’m sure there are newsgroup archives about it. Hell I’ve seen people post em here many times!

If I remember right: NOTHING has changed.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
This movie sucked so bad that people are trying (and failing) to interpret as some sort of commentary on the franchise - as even it's defenders seem to recognize it fails to stand on its own merits. The stuff on the island with Luke was particularly insipid.

What the heck is the light side of the force?

What are the resistance and first order even trying to accomplish?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vintersorg posted:

I’m sure there are newsgroup archives about it. Hell I’ve seen people post em here many times!

If I remember right: NOTHING has changed.

There are, and its hilarious. The prevailing belief after ESB was that Vader was lying his rear end off, for instance.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The world really was a better place before the internet, reddit and rotten tomatoes.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Sinding Johansson posted:

This movie sucked so bad that people are trying (and failing) to interpret as some sort of commentary on the franchise - as even it's defenders seem to recognize it fails to stand on its own merits. The stuff on the island with Luke was particularly insipid.

Yeah this movie sucks in a different way than TFA. TFA was a boring retread, TLJ is a pointless exercise in subtraction. It feels incredibly packaged, sanitized and empty.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Much like the prequels, TLJ was apparently a first draft script. From Rian himself.

edit: For the prequel people in here. Are the clones less 'human' than the battle droids? We see the droids complaining and making jokes and such. But do we ever see the Clones do anything but be 'yes sir' killing machines?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 19, 2017

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Luke chose living in harmony with a small island on a distant planet to trying to mold the future of the entire galaxy, because when he tried he hosed it up. He has been there for at least a decade, not giving a poo poo about the rest of the galaxy because in his mind why should he? Let's say nobody finds Luke and the First Order wins. What does he care? Yeah Leia would be dead in all likelihood but aside from mourning her for a bit, nothing else would effect him. He'd probably die of old age before the First Order ever found him there.

It's a meta commentary on the new films asking long time fans to give a poo poo about the new films after all these years. In the end Luke begrudgingly buys into the new stuff and even pays for the 3D showing!

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Much like the prequels, TLJ was apparently a first draft script. From Rian himself.

edit: For the prequel people in here. Are the clones less 'human' than the battle droids? We see the droids complaining and making jokes and such. But do we ever see the Clones do anything but be 'yes sir' killing machines?

It seemed to me some of the Jedi became friends after a fashion with them, joking and so forth right before that subroutine kicked in that made the clones kill all the Jedi.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In Clone Wars later seasons there are multiple episode arcs on clones fleeing the army as they discover their individuality. There’s an amazing episode where a Jedi leader treats them like disposable garbage and things go REALLY bad.

Go watch Clone Wars - it’s loving amazing (after the first season).

Also Clone 99 :(

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

Milky Moor posted:

I don’t think you realize the difference between a creative team liking a first draft and the filming team shooting a first draft, but keep spreading that fake news.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIC-GLpmxCc

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does anyone remember the Star Wars Questions thread from like ten years ago? Is that still available to read?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Reminds me of this:

https://twitter.com/thenamescliff/status/942151502096826369

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Uh no.
Boba Fett lit nerds minds on fire. They thought he was bad rear end.
The vader-father reveal was tremendous.
No one read Splinter of the Minds Eye.
Yoda was amazing. Kids thought he was a human that just became that way because of his super old age.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Yoda was amazing. Kids thought he was a human that just became that way because of his super old age.

This as good an explanation as we'll ever need.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ammanas posted:

Yeah this movie sucks in a different way than TFA. TFA was a boring retread, TLJ is a pointless exercise in subtraction. It feels incredibly packaged, sanitized and empty.

Which hilariously is a complaint that is itself packed, sanitized, and empty. It's like calling something "vapid". You don't actually have to say anything if you just say "This moving isn't saying anything". Of course it's saying something. Either you don't like what it's saying, or you didn't understand it. It still said something.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Ammanas posted:

That was me. I thought if you somehow reached 800 years old you'd get really small and turn green(?)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

This movie sucked so bad that people are trying (and failing) to interpret as some sort of commentary on the franchise - as even it's defenders seem to recognize it fails to stand on its own merits.

People are entitled to have different take aways from the film than yourself, maybe they saw some commentary on the franchise there. They might be right, they might be wrong, and that's ok. If you don't buy into it, that's cool too. The 'this movie is so bad people have opinions on it' angle seems unnecessary.

quote:

First Order built a big planet blowing up machine in the last film, they want to rule by violence as shown by many actions of cruelty and violence during this film if you missed it last time.

The resistance doesn't agree with that, and wants to live in a John Lennon song, as seen from the many friendships of trust that form and exist throughout this film. Also them helping the broom kid and freeing all the sad animals.

They're good guy faction vs. bad guy faction. Friendship vs. fear. Etc. etc. They could have spent more time fleshing out what the Resistance is going to do about the rising cost of ~SPACE GAS~ in the universe, but the individual characters within the organization of ~TEAM GOOD GUYS~ is more fun to watch and time better spent.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 19, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

GoldfishStew posted:

I don’t think you realize the difference between a creative team liking a first draft and the filming team shooting a first draft, but keep spreading that fake news.

When Lucas do thing, thing bad. When Disney Corporation do thing, thing good.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

When Lucas do thing, thing bad. When Disney Corporation do thing, thing good.

Lol if you think Lucas do things don't get defended in this thread ever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lucas was heavily involved in Clone Wars - but he was filtered thru other writers. That’s why it was so good.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Ammanas posted:

Uh no.
Boba Fett lit nerds minds on fire. They thought he was bad rear end.
The vader-father reveal was tremendous.
No one read Splinter of the Minds Eye.
I mean, these are just some potential ideas, they don't have anything to do with actual fan reaction. But the fact of the matter is, Empire is very different from A New Hope, and I am sure there were fans badmouthing it for quite a while, regardless of how it currently is thought of.

I'll flat out admit, I haven't seen it, I just got hit with some major spoilers, so I may be greatly flawed in my thinking, but compared to the prequels, criticism seems a lot more nit picky for TLJ. Or people criticize some failure to adhere to some grand plan, rather than technique or writing. Of course, people do bring legitimate criticisms like runtime, some pacing, and overuse of humor in the first half, but these things to not break a movie in my mind.

Then again, while I do acknowledge ESB is technically a stronger film, RotJ is my favorite, despite all its bumps and missteps, so I must have bad taste. v:v:v

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Serf posted:

Snoke's name rhymes with his purpose. He is smoke, just there to obscure the real threat. I hope they toss his mangled body into the loving trash compactor and never speak about his dumb, boring rear end ever again.

Yeah because either Kylo Ren or vader's obsidian ring is controlling a lifeless puppet (Snoke) in order to create a Master and Apprentice scenario that didn't actually exist. Does Kylo seem like he ever got actual training after Luke, especially from Snoke? Doesn't feel like it. After Snoke dies, the curtsins behind him burn down and reveal the nothingness of space. Seems intentional.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Where can I buy Snokes coat? His Snoat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Most of us loving loved it, actually. Like, not a single complaint. And the reveal of Darth Vader being Luke's father was amazing.

My only worry about the next film (after this one being so loving on point) is that JJ Abrams is about as good as writing endings as Neil Stephenson and I am afraid of him loving it all up.

Edit:

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I mean, these are just some potential ideas, they don't have anything to do with actual fan reaction. But the fact of the matter is, Empire is very different from A New Hope, and I am sure there were fans badmouthing it for quite a while, regardless of how it currently is thought of.

No, really, we loving LOVED IT and most people were loving stoked about the whole thing. You are completely wrong.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 19, 2017