Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

Pretty much this. He's willing to act as a servant for the CEO and his inner circle. Consider that he crashed the CEO's Porsche and injured people that sued and he still didn't get fired.

Sounds more like he has a video of the CEO loving a goat or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This is also my experience.

What a day. The users were actually really positive outside of auto complete not migrating (new outlook profile).

The devs though. gently caress the devs. We had meeting after meeting "What will break when we switch tenants?" and meeting after meeting everyone said it would be fine. Of course a million things break and those devs are now screaming the loudest.

We also apparently had users who only collaborated with the office 365 sharing with office documents instead of using the shared drives.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

We also apparently had users who only collaborated with the office 365 sharing with office documents instead of using the shared drives.

We encourage our users to collaborate through O365 Sharing, OneDrive or Sharepoint over using the shared drives. Supposedly one day we will eliminate the shared drives entirely.

A couple months ago we did an org-wide UPN change. Guess what was broken for 2-3 days afterwards?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

We encourage our users to collaborate through O365 Sharing, OneDrive or Sharepoint over using the shared drives. Supposedly one day we will eliminate the shared drives entirely.

A couple months ago we did an org-wide UPN change. Guess what was broken for 2-3 days afterwards?

Delicious.

I just don't like the idea of onedrive/sharepoint be invovled with people's office documents in a shared capacity.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I really hate people who won't even try really basic poo poo.

Someone calls in. One of their two monitors just went black. Sounds like a loose cable to me, can you check? Oh, you did check. Alright, I'll get someone over there. *start writing up ticket, asking for more information*

Wait, you didn't check the cable? Then why'd you say you... never mind, can I just get you really quick to pull the power cable and plug it back in to make sure it's seated correctl... no you won't? You don't know how to unplug something. really?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My intuition is that they actually want a new monitor and are trying to find a way to claim their current one is too unreliable to do their job.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

xzzy posted:

My intuition is that they actually want a new monitor and are trying to find a way to claim their current one is too unreliable to do their job.

Either that or they had a boss scream at them about breaking things and they’re petrified of messing up the expensive magic box.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

meanieface posted:

Either that or they had a boss scream at them about breaking things and they’re petrified of messing up the expensive magic box.

I see this a lot. Managers screaming "Don't waste your time loving with the computer, we have an IT department. Don't touch anything, just call them and they will fix it. Now find something else to do while your computer is broken."

And it turns into an attitude where they believe they are too busy to troubleshoot over the phone, and aren't allowed to do simple poo poo at the request of IT.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

meanieface posted:

As the "one who knows about computers" as a kid, I would maliciously comply with any and all bosses who pulled the same kind of "my internet was working fine yesterday, you must have broken it when you plugged in a printer a year ago" stuff that my parents pulled on me

Sorry, monitor cables are outside my job description :iiam:

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
"Hey I just need a few minutes of your time to go over the status of this project"

The status is I'm still behind because everyone and their dog keeps asking for a few minutes of my tiMEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASAZAAASASZSSAfuck

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

a_pineapple fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 7, 2019

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

What a day. The users were actually really positive outside of auto complete not migrating (new outlook profile).

The devs though. gently caress the devs. We had meeting after meeting "What will break when we switch tenants?" and meeting after meeting everyone said it would be fine. Of course a million things break and those devs are now screaming the loudest.

If I /really/ like the users, I will migrate their autocomplete to the new profile with MFCmapi. It's not a hugely painful process once I figured out how the hell it worked.

I don't like many users that much.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

If I /really/ like the users, I will migrate their autocomplete to the new profile with MFCmapi. It's not a hugely painful process once I figured out how the hell it worked.

It’s what I have been doing

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Anyway the new copier has a really neat control panel, like an iPad. Even if the interface sucks, like most copiers, I hope it sucks in a responsive fashion.

If the brand starts with "S" and ends with "amsung", not really.

Wait for it to request a power-cycling because it otherwise can't handle a routine cleaning print. Or locking all ongoing jobs because it's out of toner (with no notice) or just because it feels like it.

I do kind of want to sideload Kodi on it, so I'll look productive while actually watching cartoons...

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

It's a Christmas miracle!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Virigoth posted:

lmao

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Relic is right

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The old copier isn't garbage just because you got a new one! It needs to be fixed and then re-purposed in Bill's office for all of his secure printing needs.

We're not just throwing it out!!!

If it's old and/or leased then yeah whatever, but replacing the imager isn't a difficult task. If there was a plan to keep this machine around then it's probably worth repairing.

Obviously if half the machine needs taking apart then gently caress that.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Virigoth posted:

That's some SLA you got there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ChubbyThePhat posted:

"We just agreed to provide service, we didn't say when"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

the big question is if the guy who finally acknowledged it is a hero or a villain

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

An intern who has now ended the betting that the rest of the team had going on that case

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Got instructions for that?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you did a migration between Exchange servers, wouldn't the autocomplete data have come with that? IIRC it's stored inside the mailbox.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Got instructions for that?

Sure. https://github.com/stephenegriffin/mfcmapi download the tool here

Export:
-- Sessions > Logon > Outlook profile (this is the one to copy the cache from)
-- IPM_SUBTREE > Folder/Account you need
-- Drill down to Inbox folder, right click, and open Associated Contents Table
-- Look for the line that has IPM.Configuration.Autocomplete, right click, Export Message
-- Chose MSGfile format (unicode makes your life much easier)

Import:
-- Sessions > Logon > Outlook profile (this is the one you import to)
-- Same as above, find IPM_SUBTREE, find Inbox folder
-- Right click Inbox > Open Associated Contents Table
*If there is an existing IPM.Configuration.Autocomplete, delete it
-- Folder > Import > From MSG > Find your exported file > "Load message into current folder"
-- Open their new Outlook profile and the cache should be there

If these instructions suck the big dick, send me a pm and I'll clarify as I can.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ChubbyThePhat posted:

That is one of our devs alerts. Not my monkies.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Have they integrated the autofill with the address book or any other part of the account with Exchange 2016?

This has been a problem since, like, Office 2003 or 2007; you'd think Microsoft would have fixed it by now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Have they integrated the autofill with the address book or any other part of the account with Exchange 2016?

This has been a problem since, like, Office 2003 or 2007; you'd think Microsoft would have fixed it by now.

Autocomplete has been a part of the MAPI data stored in the PST/OST since Outlook 2010.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Double posting, but gently caress it.

We had a local development contracting company build a portal for Dynamics 365 CRM.

I just filed this ticket:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Virigoth posted:

The sound of an angel getting its wings... :angel:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Okay, someone tell me that I'm dumb, but LDAP shouldn't do this.
Client is trying to authenticate over LDAP with our equipment. Should auto-populate user email address on user login. They only want users from a particular group to be able to authenticate.
If I point the search base at the user's group, LDAP authenticates but doesn't populate the email.
If I point the search base at the base DC, it provides the email.(Uh)
Also, if I point the search base at the user's group, non-group users can still login just fine.(Wtf)
It makes no sense!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Peachfart posted:

Client is trying to authenticate over LDAP with our equipment. Should auto-populate user email address on user login. They only want users from a particular group to be able to authenticate.
If I point the search base at the user's group, LDAP authenticates but doesn't populate the email.
Also, if I point the search base at the user's group, non-group users can still login just fine.(Wtf)
It makes no sense!

1. Some of those issues should be resolved using a filter.
2. Auth and directory listing are two different operations.
3. Could also be permissions issues in their directory.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: "Chicken gaze" is a mixture of hostility and lack of comprehension.

Literally a dinosaur.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

It makes no sense!
We use a product that has a filter for group and it doesn't restrict users from logging in either. I'm pretty sure we don't care about the emails but I haven't checked. And the virtual machine appliances they sell are CentOS 5 with backported patches for things like PostgreSQL and the Java JRE.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Why do we give some people computers? Why do we still employ these fuckers?

Our 'R&D manager' has been here like 25 years. Can't use a computer to save his life. Spends most of his day in Solidworks (3D CAD). And when I say that, I mean clicking back and forth because he doesn't know how to do poo poo.

Today's ticket: Tried to access wiring folder in AutoCAD directory. Need access to all AutoCAD folders in that directory.

Works fine. He's using the file open dialog box and there just aren't any AutoCAD files in that folder to open up and look at. Also it took him a good 10 minutes to figure out that's not the folder he wanted to be in.

He has to spend at least an hour a day futzing around in Windows if not two hours. Just give this mother fucker a drafting table.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Get him some training?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Peachfart posted:

It makes no sense!

Search base is where the ldap lookup starts at. Think of it like looking for a file in a directory tree, you can start at the root and search every sub directory, or if you know roughly where it is you can start further up the tree and not search everything.

You want a filter if you want to constrain to a certain group.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I see this a lot. Managers screaming "Don't waste your time loving with the computer, we have an IT department. Don't touch anything, just call them and they will fix it. Now find something else to do while your computer is broken."

And it turns into an attitude where they believe they are too busy to troubleshoot over the phone, and aren't allowed to do simple poo poo at the request of IT.

This but they’re also a 20 minute drive away.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Literally a dinosaur.

Open the door
Get on the floor
Everybody eat the dinosaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
They did maintenance last night and there was a brief connectivity hiccup to the SAN because multipathing didn't do it's job on like, 2 VMs. Our poo poo is so redundant that it wasn't even noticeable to the customer. Yeah, let's fix it, but let's not even

OH WAIT NO JUST KIDDING LET'S EVERYONE FREAK OUT!

My boss is losing. his. mind. This is a sev1. VMware's getting bitched at for not being fast enough to respond. It's all hands on deck, and I can't see him but I'm pretty sure my boss is pouring sweat.

Dude, 2 out of a couple thousand VMs lost connection to storage for a few minutes, causing a few clusters to failover. Who the gently caress cares?

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 19, 2017