Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

CrazyTolradi posted:

Who exactly is the Australian working class JBP speaks of? Is it the FYGM boomers or the younger workers who struggle to get enough hours to make ends meet and get hosed over by unions like the SDA?

The plumbers and hairdressers who, I read, exclusively populate western Sydney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Who exactly is the Australian working class JBP speaks of? Is it the FYGM boomers or the younger workers who struggle to get enough hours to make ends meet and get hosed over by unions like the SDA?

Historically working class seats (not working class people) that swing are easily found online and are often split due to cultural, social and religious issues. Call them conservative, established poor seats if that sits better with you.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to not join the SDA or pay a passing interest in their employment, yet the SDA survive.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 19, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It’s cool that Turnbull managed to fit in the fact that the government can’t raise wages. I guess cutting university funding will help with that though!

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

Working class seats (not working class people) that swing are easily found online and are often split due to cultural, social and religious issues. Call them conservative, established poor seats if that suits better with you.

Its pretty disingenuous to call those seats working class since there's a fuckton of working class people outside those seats and plenty of rich assholes living there too.

They're just seats that have a high proportion of socially or culturally conservative, economically redistributive voters. I prefer to call them "Rust Belt seats". It always made more sense to me - given I'm from one. "Bible Belt" seats obviously exist too, but there's only a bit of cross-over with the seats you're describing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kafka Syrup posted:

Its pretty disingenuous to call those seats working class since there's a fuckton of working class people outside those seats and plenty rich assholes there too.

They're just seats that have a high proportion of socially or culturally conservative, economically redistributive voters. Rust Belt seats always made more sense to me - given I'm from one.

I edited to clarify "historically". It's the same in the northern suburbs where you've got new voters going greens and the oldies still voting red and it shines through in the booth people vote at.

It's a bit disconcerting that Tarneit has the potential to be deeply split along old party lines (along with more right wing options) seeing as it's all cheap new homes and super traditionally defined blue collar workers.

E: also these new areas have American style churches springing up everywhere and that gives me the fears as well.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

I edited to clarify "historically". It's the same in the northern suburbs where you've got new voters going greens and the oldies still voting red and it shines through in the booth people vote at.

It's a bit disconcerting that Tarneit has the potential to be deeply split along old party lines (along with more right wing options) seeing as it's all cheap new homes and super traditionally defined blue collar workers.

E: also these new areas have American style churches springing up everywhere and that gives me the fears as well.

That's a fair point - and a genuine concern. Queensland's been having a fuckaround with these new megachurches like Bring the Fire and Gateway straight up recruiting and campaigning for political parties.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah well. In a few years people will be investing in block chain EduCoins generated by an algorithm that piggy backs off school networks locating over performing public school students and slicing 1% from their income ad infinitum.

Let's just look forward to that.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

JBP posted:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to not join the SDA or pay a passing interest in their employment, yet the SDA survive.
The problem with that is that when you start at Coles you're basically told "You should really join the union" and get signed up with the SDA, you're not told that there's other unions you can join and AFAIK Coles still take SDA fees out of your pay if you do join. So if you're a young person, desperate for work and not really aware of the different unions you can join, you're not likely to question it and aren't really aware of what the SDA are like.

I'm not sure if Woolworths do this, as I can only speak from the experience I had at Coles.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

The problem with that is that when you start at Coles you're basically told "You should really join the union" and get signed up with the SDA, you're not told that there's other unions you can join and AFAIK Coles still take SDA fees out of your pay if you do join. So if you're a young person, desperate for work and not really aware of the different unions you can join, you're not likely to question it and aren't really aware of what the SDA are like.

I'm not sure if Woolworths do this, as I can only speak from the experience I had at Coles.

Yeah for sure. They (the company) have inductions in agreements to promote industrial harmony. Woolies also do it because they know the SDA is only after revenue units and not union members. Some places have inductions after winning them, the SDA buy them with peace.

Hopefully the internet information machine and RAFFWU can erode this. Before RAFFWU there wasn't really an alternative and they've done great stuff in a short period. If they can register a few decent agreements, win an industrial dispute and press on without being deregistered or sued into oblivion I think they can destroy the SDA quite quickly in the scheme of IR.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There are calls among the left factions of some of the more progressive unions for the ACTU to excommunicate the SDA, or at least publicly condemn their behaviour. Right now, this is mostly supported by the more bolshie/tankie NSW branches of national unions, rather than the rank and file. I do not entirely agree with it, as disharmony is not what the ACTU needs at this moment - but I believe the time will come. Perhaps once we've defeated the Fair Work Act, ROC, and the Liberal Govt, and regained our right to withhold labour.

As it stands, the ACTU will not side with the SDA against the RAFFWU and will support and promote their victories, which is a good start.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Mad Katter posted:

Someone post that photo where Parliament is voting on concentration camps for refugees and it's just Bandt and Wilkie voting against it.

Serious question: what sort of weird googlebombing makes Google think that picture is of a Chiko Roll if you reverse image search it?

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

There are calls among the left factions of some of the more progressive unions for the ACTU to excommunicate the SDA, or at least publicly condemn their behaviour. Right now, this is mostly supported by the more bolshie/tankie NSW branches of national unions, rather than the rank and file. I do not entirely agree with it, as disharmony is not what the ACTU needs at this moment - but I believe the time will come. Perhaps once we've defeated the Fair Work Act, ROC, and the Liberal Govt, and regained our right to withhold labour.

As it stands, the ACTU will not side with the SDA against the RAFFWU and will support and promote their victories, which is a good start.

I've been told there's also a bunch of issues around demarcation and the IR Commission that makes getting a new Union like RAFFWU recognised really hard. Probably need to completely rewrite IR law before it happens.

Luckily, Change The Rules actually has some really good ideas on how to do that.

And CPSU and pretty much every other Union in the ACT is pro-RAFFWU. Unions ACT was openly spruiking them at May Day. SDA doesn't even get mentioned except to attack them here these days.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I guess cutting university funding will help with that though!

Funding education creates bad debt. :eng101:

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Kafka Syrup posted:

I've been told there's also a bunch of issues around demarcation and the IR Commission that makes getting a new Union like RAFFWU recognised really hard. Probably need to completely rewrite IR law before it happens.

Luckily, Change The Rules actually has some really good ideas on how to do that.

And CPSU and pretty much every other Union in the ACT is pro-RAFFWU. Unions ACT was openly spruiking them at May Day. SDA doesn't even get mentioned except to attack them here these days.

Yeah the thing is if RAFFWU keep delivering outcomes for workers, there's nothing any of their detractors can do but sit back and watch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah the thing is if RAFFWU keep delivering outcomes for workers, there's nothing any of their detractors can do but sit back and watch.

RAFFWU has few detractors and was clandestinely helped along by decent unions who have had enough of the SDAs poo poo.

E: not helped with money, I should add.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

JBP posted:

E: not helped with money, I should add.

Which is why y'all better be solidarity members.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Kafka Syrup posted:

Which is why y'all better be solidarity members.

I'm a community/non industrial member with four unions. It's a cheap and cheerful way to keep good places afloat and stay up to date with poo poo you could potentially help out with. It's usually like $50 a year.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Is there some way I can help them without any actual connection to they industry?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
You probably know some people who work there, and it takes very little convincing that the SDA is the worst and unions that aren't the SDA are cool and good.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

iajanus posted:

Is there some way I can help them without any actual connection to they industry?

RAFFWU welcome volunteers, they'll give you a heads up when they do things. Can be basic stuff like an hour or two outside a supermarket handing out lit or phone work. Give them some cash if you can manage it, they've got solidarity memberships and you can donate as well on their site.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/942969189572022272

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Capt.Whorebags posted:

loving hell ABC24, twenty minutes ago they had IPA shill Georgina Downer in to discuss the news, now they’re gently lobbing in a bunch of softball questions for Matthias Cormann to knock out of the park.

Are you remotely surprised considering what the IPA did to the ABC over the past few years through regulatory capture?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Noted shitrag, the herald sun have turned on the liberals.

quote:

Victorians stump up $17m for Canberra light rail

Tom Minear and Kieran Rooney, Herald Sun
December 18, 2017 8:00pm

VICTORIAN taxpayers have shelled out almost $17 million for a “gold-plated” light rail line in Canberra, one of the nation’s least congested cities.

As Victoria struggles with a $7.5 billion roads and rail funding shortfall, the Federal Government has ploughed $67 million into the rail line through the nation’s capital.

And the Australian Capital Territory Government is already asking for more federal cash to pay for a second stage of the $707 million project, which will service a city that is home to just 409,000 people.

Monday’s midyear Budget update revealed Victoria — home to 6.3 million people, a quarter of the nation’s population — receives just 9.4 per cent of federal infrastructure funding.

Canberra’s light rail under construction near the city’s racecourse. Picture: Kym Smith

The Federal Government has ploughed $67 million into the rail line. Picture: Kym Smith

The ACT Government is already asking for more federal cash to pay for a second stage of the $707 million project.
The State Government is sharpening its “Prime Minister for Sydney” attack on Malcolm Turnbull, to gain more money for transport projects in next year’s Budget.

Victoria also faces losing an important advocate in Canberra: despite a strong performance as Infrastructure and Transport Minister, Gippsland MP Darren Chester is at risk of losing his portfolio in a Cabinet reshuffle as soon as Tuesday.

That would leave Victoria without a minister on the government’s national infrastructure committee.

Federal Labor MP Joanne Ryan, whose seat of Lalor covers Werribee and Melbourne’s outer west, said: “It’s a bit rich that Australia’s least congested city will get a gold-plated tram network at the expense of people in Melbourne’s outer west.

“We sit for hours in traffic and are left standing on packed station platforms, dreaming of a 20-minute city ride, while the federal government fails to deliver even our fair share (of funds),” Ms Ryan said.

The first stage of the Canberra light rail project, a 12km line with 13 stops, cost almost $60 million per kilometre.

The federal contribution came from the asset recycling scheme, which pays benefits to governments which sell off public assets.

The first stage of the Canberra light rail project, a 12km line with 13 stops, cost almost $60 million per kilometre. Picture: Kym Smith
The ACT Government is also pushing for extra money — before the first stage of the light rail project is finished — and will ramp up its bid when it finalises a business case this month.

Victorian Treasurer Tim Pallas said the state’s funding shortfall was “astonishing”, particularly as New South Wales received 45.5 per cent of federal infrastructure cash.

“We’re the fastest-growing economy in the country ... but it’s no thanks to Malcolm Turnbull who couldn’t find us on a map and refuses to give us our fair share,” he said.

The State Government estimates that Victoria is owed as much as $7.5 billion in the five years to 2021 if it is to receive a fair level of federal funding.

They won't win Vic next year unless Dandrews stomps on puppies in federation square for australia day.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

The sickening truths of the Fourth Stimpire Liberal National Party.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

drunkill posted:

They won't win Vic next year unless Dandrews stomps on puppies in federation square for australia day.

Don't be so sure. There's a strong perception that he's soft on crime and the big projects his ramming through have NIMBY'd the poo poo out of a lot of contestable seats.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bridget McKenzie has three ministries, she can hardly speak a coherent sentence in the senate. Nats are hosed now.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Australian federal police accidentally livestreamed their discussion about the arrest of an alleged North Korean economic agent days before the arrest went ahead.

The blunder, revealed by the West Australian on Tuesday, involved an accidentally tweeted link to a Periscope broadcast of internal discussion about media management plans for the police operation.

About one minute of discussion by AFP media staff was livestreamed, the West Australian reported, and was viewed by about 40 people last Wednesday.

The 59-year-old man, Choi Han Chan, who has lived in Australia for about 30 years, was arrested on Saturday morning at his home in the north-west Sydney suburb of Eastwood.

No names were mentioned during the broadcast but the discussion reportedly included details of the timing of Choi’s arrest, the operation briefing, and the potential need to brief the Australian prime minister and opposition leader.

One staff member said the AFP was “not going in all guns blazing, it’s only half a dozen people and a forensic van”.

The tweet linking to the broadcast was quickly deleted but the broadcast itself remained live until the West Australian alerted the AFP.

The AFP has launched an internal investigation into the broadcast, which it said occurred when staff began testing social media broadcasting equipment. “Steps have been taken to ensure such incidents will not occur again,” a spokesman said.

Choi allegedly breached UN sanctions and Australian federal law, and was charged with brokering sales and discussing the supply of weapons of mass destruction. The alleged deals involved entities in Indonesia, Vietnam and other undisclosed countries.

The AFP alleged Choi attempted to sell coal to Vietnam and Indonesia in breach of sanctions, and attempted to sell missile guidance software to “international entities”.

Evidence suggested the 59-year-old allegedly had contact with high-ranking North Korean officials, but no government or officials from other nations appeared to be involved in the attempted deals, the AFP assistant commissioner Neil Gaughan said on Sunday.

“This man was acting as a loyal agent for North Korea who believed he was acting to serve some higher patriotic purpose,” he said. “At the end of the day he would sell whatever he could to make money for the North Korean government.”

It’s the first time anyone in Australia has been charged with offences under the country’s Weapons of Mass Destruction Act, and the first time anyone has been charged specifically over alleged breaches of UN sanctions against North Korea. The charges attract penalties of up to 10 years in prison.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

If they were smart they'd spec the Canberra trams to be E-Class and push the boosting Melbourne's economy by being Made In Melbourne angle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/jmscws/status/943048677525929984

glub glub

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

MikeJF posted:

If they were smart they'd spec the Canberra trams to be E-Class and push the boosting Melbourne's economy by being Made In Melbourne angle.

Yeah. But the factory can only complete 1 tram per month and the Vic gov placed an order for 20 more back in May so the two contracts won't be fulfilled for like 5 years. They are good trams though and should be bought by other cities.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Neil Erikson, far-right activist, fails to return Toll uniform after court order

Far-right activist Neil Erikson has defied a court order requiring him to return his uniforms to his former employer, freight company Toll, sparking a call for him to be charged with contempt of court.

Mr Erikson has been wearing the uniform in videos containing controversial rants posted to social media and during well-publicised incidents, including when he ambushed former senator Sam Dastyari in a Melbourne pub, despite being sacked by the company last May.

Toll alleged he has been lending the uniform to a friend and fellow far-right activist, Ricky Turner, who was pictured wearing it on the front page of a major daily newspaper engaged in a scuffle outside the venue where controversial British commentator Milo Yiannopoulos was speaking.

The company launched legal action in the Federal Circuit Court almost a fortnight ago and obtained court orders requiring Mr Erikson to return the uniforms by last Thursday and stop damaging the company's reputation.

Toll received more than 500 complaints from customers following the publication of the video of Mr Erikson wearing the company's uniform and confronting Mr Dastyari, according to court documents.

The company alleged many customers threatened to never do business with Toll again.

Barrister Martin Garrett told today's hearing Mr Erikson had since breached a number of the court's orders including failing to return the uniforms.

He said Mr Erikson had told the company "most of the uniform was damaged and thrown out during the years … what was left was discarded a while ago and is no longer in my possession".

But Mr Garrett told the hearing that just a month earlier, Mr Erikson had pledged to return it, and hadn't offered an explanation for contradicting himself in his latest correspondence.

Judge Suzanne Jones asked Mr Erikson, who took part in the hearing over the phone, if he was "seriously saying" he didn't have the uniforms anymore.

"It's pretty obvious to me that you [and Ricky Turner] are pretty close and … I have an exhibit where a person who looks awfully like him … you know the Herald Sun front page … Mr Turner hoeing into someone … in a Toll uniform," she said.

But Mr Erikson told the hearing Mr Turner had been given a brand new Toll shirt from another friend.

"I have none of the uniforms, I discarded them after the Dastyari incident," he said.

Lawyers acting for Toll made an application for Mr Erikson to be charged with contempt of court for breaching the court's orders.

But Judge Jones adjourned the application until mid-January to give Mr Erikson more time to engage a lawyer and file affidavits to support his submissions.

She warned him that he would be arrested and brought to court if he failed to attend the hearing in person.

Mr Erikson responded that he would be at the hearing but was unemployed and couldn't afford to pay a lawyer.

The court heard he will need to supply evidence about what happened to the uniforms as well as an affidavit from Mr Turner swearing that he received the Toll shirt from someone else.

Mr Erikson told the court he would immediately rectify other alleged breaches of the court's orders, including by deleting a video he'd published to YouTube of the incident involving Mr Dastyari.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-19/neil-erikson-defies-court-order-to-return-toll-uniform/9273980

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Shirtgate.

or...

Tollgate.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drunkill posted:

They are good trams though and should be bought by other cities.

Well they're really just modified Bombardier Flexity Swifts. They're changed a bit to import elements from the Flexity Classic because the Swift is targeted mainly at dedicated-line operation rather than mixed-use like in Melbourne (which is why it had the cab visibility problems that the E2 addressed), and a few other tweaks to accommodate Melbourne's legacy tracks. Elsewhere places would probably want to go for something closer to a vanilla Swift, though I assume the Melbourne Bombardier factories could be tooled to do that easily enough. If we could get enough Australian contracts, maybe they could even expand the Dandenong op for a while.

(Ew, Adelaide just ordered three more Citadis 302/Melbourne long C-Class. Can we just give them ours instead?)

(Melbournians: STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT TRAMS)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 19, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

We originally bought 15 Flexity Classics to replace the 1920s vintage H class still in use, and when, as the Libs and Murdoch rag predicted, they proved to be not wanted, underused, and horribly unsuccessful, we rushed in 6 Citadis 302s that had been sitting unused in a warehouse in Madrid for a good second hand deal, so that their much larger capacity could be even more horribly unsuccessful in the overloaded peak times. I imagine they went with 3 more of the same to avoid having too many different models of rolling stock at once.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 19, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

We originally bought 15 Flexity Classics to replace the 1920s vintage H class still in use, and when, as the Libs and Murdoch rag predicted, they proved to be not wanted, underused, and horribly unsuccessful, we rushed in 6 Citadis 302s that had been sitting unused in a warehouse in Madrid for a good second hand deal, so that their much larger capacity could be even more horribly unsuccessful in the overloaded peak times. I imagine they went with 3 more of the same to avoid having too many different models of rolling stock at once.

Yeah, 202s and 302 were Melbourne's first attempt at buying modern trams back in 2001 as the C-Class, and turned out to be badly-designed pieces of cheap, shoddy poo poo that nobody likes and rocked so much they hurt the drivers. We've still got 5 302s (and 36 202s) running, I'm kinda surprised that we didn't negotiate some kind of deal to offload the 302s to you to trim our own number of models.

(We then moved on to the Siemens Combinos as D-Class, which were way less comfortable and more cramped inside but generally sounder. Until it turned out the entire Combino series worldwide had metal fatigue flaws that could crack the structure apart and they had to take them off the roads for a while and remove even more seats to add the reinforcements, but hey, you win some you lose some. Then we gave up and decided to go expensive with the E-Class and get special customised Flexity Swift offshoot trams, and negotiate building them locally to justify the cost.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 19, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

As far as I know we haven't had any problems with the 302s here, it might be a matter of track age and topography - the Adelaide CBD (and the shared road sections outside of it) is completely flat, the Melbourne CBD is very much not.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

may the z class never die

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Jonah Galtberg posted:

may the z class never die
Because death is an easy escape from the torture the Z class clearly deserves.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

it is a treasure and i will not hear a word against it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I feel like reading about trams over the Christmas break now.

• Locked thread