Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Where can I buy Snokes coat? His Snoat.

Thanks, Snoke.

Thoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Bless you, Snoke.

Bloke.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Goffer posted:

The book burning happens around the same time as when everything is going to poo poo, while DJ is paid by the First Order - and Finn confront him, DJ says "You win some, they win some, it just goes around and around forever". Luke has the same sort of mentality. The line where the whole ideology of the movie changes is when Finn responds "What if you're wrong?" DJ doesn't have an good answer - "Maybbe I will be".

I'm not sure if you missed it, but there was no actual book burning. Rei has them on the Falcon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Bless you, Snoke.

Bloke.

Joke

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Most of us loving loved it, actually. Like, not a single complaint. And the reveal of Darth Vader being Luke's father was amazing.

My only worry about the next film (after this one being so loving on point) is that JJ Abrams is about as good as writing endings as Neil Stephenson and I am afraid of him loving it all up.

There won't be an ending really, we're getting 5 years tops before another trilogy

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Oiled and Ready posted:

There won't be an ending really, we're getting 5 years tops before another trilogy

I can't wait for Episode 11 to learn how Rey tried to kill broom kid before going into self-imposed exile, and why the Even Newer Republic was a total failure in stopping the rise of another band of idiot cosplayers!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

We haven't gotten Real Old Republic onscreen yet, that would be real fuckin' neato.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

In the age of splitting the last movie of a series into 2 films for maximum fun and profit, I wouldn't put it past Disney to announce this isn't a trilogy, and reveal Episode X. Ten movies and you have a capstone for the entire thing with Episode 10. Makes it a neat lil' package

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There are a number of Change.org petitions demanding Rian Johnson be fired or having TLJ be removed from canon. None of them are as funny as this:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 19, 2017

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MagicCube posted:

Very disappointed that a certain character wasn't played by Gregg Turkington. Almost walked out with my popcorn.

Very much agreed! Plus he was in Ant-man, so he's got a foot in the door with Disney.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I hated Rogue One, but liked the Force Awakens and absolutely love this.

I love the fact that Finns mission ended in failure. People gently caress up and make mistakes and despite having the best intentions, consequences happen. It goes with the theme of hot headedness isn't always a virtue.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think there's someone fans of this movie have been neglecting that can bring balance to the force

https://twitter.com/robert_pig/status/942351774756757504?s=17

Serf
May 5, 2011

I particularly enjoyed Snoke's getup. Dude was dressed in a golden robe like last days on earth Hugh Hefner. All we needed were a few shots of him creeping around the ship with his posse to complete the look.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hizawk posted:

I love the fact that Finns mission ended in failure. People gently caress up and make mistakes and despite having the best intentions, consequences happen. It goes with the theme of hot headedness isn't always a virtue.

I don't know, it was a nice thing but the escape was so clownshoes it really harshed a lot of what the movie was going for.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Serf posted:

I particularly enjoyed Snoke's getup. Dude was dressed in a golden robe like last days on earth Hugh Hefner. All we needed were a few shots of him creeping around the ship with his posse to complete the look.

I recall an article saying Snoke was based on him.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Most of us loving loved it, actually. Like, not a single complaint. And the reveal of Darth Vader being Luke's father was amazing.

My only worry about the next film (after this one being so loving on point) is that JJ Abrams is about as good as writing endings as Neil Stephenson and I am afraid of him loving it all up.

Edit:

No, really, we loving LOVED IT and most people were loving stoked about the whole thing. You are completely wrong.

Not everyone loved it. There was no internet to tell you how bad it was.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why did they call them laser swords in this one? Is there a no-saying-zombie-in-a-zombie-movie rule in effect?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Luke was being sassy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gonz posted:

Thanks, Snoke.

Thoke.

What are Porgs? We just don't know.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

business hammocks posted:

Why did they call them laser swords in this one? Is there a no-saying-zombie-in-a-zombie-movie rule in effect?

Anakin called lightsabers laser swords in TPM.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

He was quoting his dad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AndyElusive posted:

The world really was a better place before the internet, reddit and rotten tomatoes.

Ah yep, the good old days when everyone just got to be way more terrible behind closed doors or within the confines of their town and you never heard or talked about it. Good times, those.

IIRC, it’s what Luke called it in ANH before Obi-Wan told him the proper name. Presumably the term was outlawed- or at least repressed- when the Empire took over and set about wiping out the Jedi legacy. Remember that Han sees the Jedi as these, like, quasi-mythical witch doctors from a far gone age but he was probably alive at the time of the Jedi purge. Vader also makes a point of emphasizing its name when he sees that Luke has built his own, as though it were something that only a person aware of the Jedi and Sith would know.

So:
1) Yeah, it’s deliberately a term that most people in this universe either wouldn’t know or wouldn’t use.
2)Luke is absolutely throwing shade on the Jedi by deliberately misusing/feigning ignorance of their terminology and customs. He’s not using the proper name because gently caress the Jedi.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

teagone posted:

Anakin called lightsabers laser swords in TPM.

And Luke calls them that at the beginning of ANH. It’s a recurring shorthand in the series for “the Jedi don’t exist or don’t have any influence here.”

In ANH it sets up the idea that the Jedi were wiped out and their legacy suppressed by the Empire.

In TPM it (and midichlorians) sets up the idea that the Jedi are more of a political or benevolent paramilitary force for the Republic than some order of supernatural galactic heroes standing up for the Light Side of the Force across the universe. It shows that, even in the Republic era at the height of Jedi power, there are backwater planets full of slavery and injustice where the Jedi can’t or won’t go and nobody even knows what the Force is. It sets them up to be the hubristic organization that falls right into Palpatine’s plans.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 19, 2017

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Can we all agree the infinite Reys scene was dope as gently caress

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Timeless Appeal posted:

Can we all agree the infinite Reys scene was dope as gently caress

I've been waiting for people to talk more about that! I thought it was rad and weird and the most interesting depiction of the Dark Side in ages. I'm still thinkin about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Serf posted:

he faced timed Rey while Kylo was in the shower

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ah yep, the good old days when everyone just got to be way more terrible behind closed doors or within the confines of their town and you never heard or talked about it. Good times, those.

IIRC, it’s what Luke called it in ANH before Obi-Wan told him the proper name. Presumably the term was outlawed- or at least repressed- when the Empire took over and set about wiping out the Jedi legacy. Remember that Han sees the Jedi as these, like, quasi-mythical witch doctors from a far gone age but he was probably alive at the time of the Jedi purge. Vader also makes a point of emphasizing its name when he sees that Luke has built his own, as though it were something that only a person aware of the Jedi and Sith would know.

So:
1) Yeah, it’s deliberately a term that most people in this universe either wouldn’t know or wouldn’t use.
2)Luke is absolutely throwing shade on the Jedi by deliberately misusing/feigning ignorance of their terminology and customs. He’s not using the proper name because gently caress the Jedi.

Not to quibble with ya but Luke doesn't say "laser sword" or "lightsaber" in ANH. Obi-Wan says, "your father's lightsaber. this is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age"

Luke watched the prequels while on Ach To

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Pretty sure he just hung out with ghost Qui-Gonn and they both got ripped on fermented titty milk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Waffles Inc. posted:

Not to quibble with ya but Luke doesn't say "laser sword" or "lightsaber" in ANH. Obi-Wan says, "your father's lightsaber. this is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age"

Luke watched the prequels while on Ach To

Huh, I coulda sworn....

Must’ve been a false memory.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Huh, I coulda sworn....

Must’ve been a false memory.
Anakin calls Qui-Gon's saber a "laser sword" in The Phantom Menace.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Penpal posted:

titty milk

As opposed to the other kind?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

As opposed to the other kind?

Almond

e - wait... do almonds have titties???

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mary had a little clam posted:

I've been waiting for people to talk more about that! I thought it was rad and weird and the most interesting depiction of the Dark Side in ages. I'm still thinkin about it.

Literally "The Dark Side is being in an echo chamber".

UmOk posted:

Not everyone loved it. There was no internet to tell you how bad it was.

I'm having contention with him insisting that most people hated it due to his dislike of it and not actually being there. Yeah people had complaints here and there but Empire made people flip their lids.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 19, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Where can I buy Snokes coat? His Snoat.

His snoking jacket.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm having contention with him insisting that most people hated it due to his dislike of it and not actually being there. Yeah people had complaints here and there but Empire made people flip their lids.

I think lids have been sufficiently flipped by TLJ, only now you're reading about those who didn't enjoy their lids having been flipped or how it was flipped. Also, everyone is an amateur visual director and hobbyist script writer now.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Huh? You mean the good old days when people formed thier own opinions and weren't reliant on the hive mind to help them along?

The internet makes you stupid

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hizawk posted:

I hated Rogue One, but liked the Force Awakens and absolutely love this.

I don't think that happened. The actual end of the movie is a consequence of that sequence.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

UmOk posted:

Huh? You mean the good old days when people formed thier own opinions and weren't reliant on the hive mind to help them along?

The internet makes you stupid

Whatever, guy.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My only complaint with this film is that they should have manufactured a better Ticking Clock than “we have to keep outrunning the star destroyer until we run out of fuel.” Pretty much everything else was rock-solid, and everyone in this thread who says otherwise is trying hard to be a Cinema Discusso contrarian. Worst Thread Ever continues to deliver.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lincoln posted:

My only complaint with this film is that they should have manufactured a better Ticking Clock than “we have to keep outrunning the star destroyer until we run out of fuel.” Pretty much everything else was rock-solid, and everyone in this thread who says otherwise is trying hard to be a Cinema Discusso contrarian. Worst Thread Ever continues to deliver.

What was wrong with it that wasn't already the kind of thing routinely appearing in Star Wars?