Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Solumin posted:

What about something like the Ru 251, where you have only Heat FS or HESH? Seems like both have been nerfed.

Fire all HEATFS, aim for the gun breech/gunner/main ammo store when you have time to aim, accept that sometimes you’ll get hosed like you do with all non-APHE cone damage ammo. As always, try to flank hard or shoot from very long range on maps like Kursk and Sinai, since you don’t lose pen with distance and you have one of the best guns for it at that BR.

HESH is problematic for the 251 and most tanks now in that you can’t really risk having it loaded pre-emptively. M82 is a bit different because you still have ~180mm of penetration and you can break gun barrels all the same, but 90mm HESH is really just playing with fire because you still don’t have the pen for some side turret/skirt shots at that BR. It’s actually the same for APCR in US 90mm but for the opposite reason (good pen but poo poo damage, use against heavies you can’t just avoid) You can carry some, just don’t have it loaded already in most situations. HESH also has like half the velocity of the 251s HEAT.

Geisladisk posted:

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks! It did feel like I needed a lot of shots to kill people.

One other thing to consider is pay attention to who you get matched against. If you get a 7.7 game against RU (look for things like M103s or M60 on your team), you’ll likely be needing more HEAT than you will M82 to pen Russian glacis/turrets. Alternatively, a 7.7 game against Germany is going to be a lot of Leos and 251s, which you shoot M82 at since a center mass shot will 1 shot them like 90% of the time, while keeping an eye on the kill log for Maus/KT that you might need HEAT for later.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Whirlwind Mk I? It's about drat time

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I finished spading the t92(fun tank once you get HEATFS) and moved onto the M103. Holy hell is that tank satisfying. When you pen something it feels like you shattered the enemy tank.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
https://i.gyazo.com/292835d74a1e923a06638c6f018949bb.mp4

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Looking at the french tank tree really showcases how screwed the italian tree will be regarding variety. :(

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Azran posted:

Looking at the french tank tree really showcases how screwed the italian tree will be regarding variety. :(

yea, and they havn’t even included any armored cars yet, I want my gat dang EBR durnit

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

FaustianQ posted:

What in tarnation.

Ooooooooooohhhh

*jumps on hat*

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just nailed a hull-down King Tiger into the side of the turret, ammo racking him, on the first shot, from ~1.8 kilometers

i'm hard like a diamond right now

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Oh no I accidentally went RBGF instead of RB air with the IL-28 I bet I'll look like a tardass

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

MrLonghair posted:

Oh no I accidentally went RBGF

lol you can do some really funny BR rigging in that mode

before the rbt5 was nerfed i would just kill leopards all day then fly yak3s around

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Speaking of rockets, 1.75 tomorrow.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I don’t want to spend money on the AD-4 but I’m pretty sure I’m going to spend money on the AD-4

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Mazz posted:

I don’t want to spend money on the AD-4 but I’m pretty sure I’m going to spend money on the AD-4

Pay-to-skip or is it a flat-out premium?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

bacon flaps posted:

Pay-to-skip or is it a flat-out premium?

It's right after the AD-2 on the tree, and followed by the also-new F3D. I assume they mean paying GE to get the loadout with fifty-six Hydra 70 rockets.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Now is the time to spade your non-French clubbers. In the T114 I have survived a good lot of shots that should have killed the poo poo outta me so something might be bugged

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I wanted to see how much damage the APCR on the first Jumbo does so I did some testing with a friend. He was in a T-34-57 and my APCR couldn't pen the hull unless we were like 1m or so apart :psyduck:. For reference, the pure AP cuts through T-34 hulls like butter from most engagement ranges and the APCR nominally has better bounciness and pen stats.
Is it just because it's a tiny round? Is there any way to find out how much it actually pens?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
IIRC APCRs angle tolerance is so lovely you don’t want to fire it at anything not mostly flat unless you overpen by a whole bunch. No joke the only times I ever load it is in the M36 shooting at KT(H) turret face.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pretty much. APCR is bouncy as gently caress and you have to hit a flat surface at a near-perpendicular to avoid it skipping off to nowhere. With T-34 hulls there's really just no angle on flat ground you can fire an APCR shot at and not worry about it bouncing off due to the way all four sides are sloped. The ammo type as a whole is better at piercing the turret which has more vertically flat surfaces, but that's a low bar to clear.

Not that APCR isn't good in the right cases. It makes Pz. III's actually somewhat better at killing KV-1's than T-34's because the KV line all has flat as gently caress armor. You're still doing piss-all internal damage but you're actually doing it. Sadly for Pz. III's there's really no good choice to use against T-34's unless you have the premium Pz. III with the short 75mm.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 19, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Did I completely misunderstand the stat card then? For the angle with 100%/50%/0% chance of ricochet, AP has 25°/30°/43° and APCR has 18°/20°/24°. I thought lower numbers meant less bounciness.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 19, 2017

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

oooo one of the changes this update is camo that changes based on the map, I wonder if they let you choose presets or what

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

free hubcaps posted:

oooo one of the changes this update is camo that changes based on the map, I wonder if they let you choose presets or what

Tested it earlier, looks like your default camo selection choice now is "Auto" which just sets you to whatever type of camo fits the environment historically.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I was playing with Muhlump a couple nights ago, and I managed to take out the last fighter.
https://clips.twitch.tv/GentleEnticingNoodleFutureMan

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Holy crap the french tank guns are pure spud guns. I cannot wait to get to the AMX tanks with actual cannons

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I was playing with Muhlump a couple nights ago, and I managed to take out the last fighter.

How does keyboard cyberacing work anyway, I've never really tried it. When I do input keyboard controls they feel way too strong, like there's no way to fine-tune how much pitch or roll to get out of the aircraft. Is it just getting good, are there control settings I should go over?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

YF-23 posted:

How does keyboard cyberacing work anyway, I've never really tried it. When I do input keyboard controls they feel way too strong, like there's no way to fine-tune how much pitch or roll to get out of the aircraft. Is it just getting good, are there control settings I should go over?

Are you talking about using the keyboard instead of the mouse to control the elevator and ailerons? WASD for that, and I hold down mouse-4 on camera movement.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I grabbed the XP-55 with a 50% off a while back and my KDR is like 10:1, feels so good

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

GrossMurpel posted:

Did I completely misunderstand the stat card then? For the angle with 100%/50%/0% chance of ricochet, AP has 25°/30°/43° and APCR has 18°/20°/24°. I thought lower numbers meant less bounciness.

AFAIK that’s how it’s supposed to be interpreted but I don’t think the numbers are wholly accurate anymore. This might be they changed the angle effects and the cards don’t reflect it properly or that the armor penetration angle and the ricochet angle mechanics are overlapping for APCR and raising the ricochet chance.

Most APCR has ridiculous penetration fall off past 60°, and as you drop down closer to armor/pen parity you start to run into the non-penetration dice roll stuff. Overlap that with the separate ricochet mechanic and APCR just suffers.

I’m not 100% sure on that since I’m too lazy to unpack/open the actual ammo files, but APCR certainly doesn’t handle angles as well as those values indicate and that is the only thing that makes sense other than just bad/outdated value reporting on the cards.

The tl;dr is basically the angle math tends to favor the armor unless your high angle penetration is still ridiculously high, like HEATFS or APFSDS. Expect trouble with angled hits a good portion of the time if you don’t overpen by like 25mm+ at the correct armor value (60/30 values are the most important to know for this reason at higher BRs). The reason you want so much margin is 1. reliability when the angles arent perfect, and 2. any time you shoot at something that isn’t 100% perpendicular to you it’s actually a compound angle calculation and the armor is that much thicker.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 19, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Are you talking about using the keyboard instead of the mouse to control the elevator and ailerons? WASD for that, and I hold down mouse-4 on camera movement.

And no messing in the settings for control surface sensitivity or anything as advanced as that, then, right?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

YF-23 posted:

You have to tap the keys rhythmically to get the effect you want. There's always a delay between control input and full aircraft reaction. It's just like using flaps on a Yak or Spitfire—since those only have settings for raised and landing, you have to constantly raise and lower the flaps at a specific threshold to get some use out of them without ripping them off at the full landing position.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

YellerBill posted:

Whirlwind Mk I? It's about drat time

I reckon that will probably be about BR 5, even though it was a early war fighter. You have to pay the Hispano tax.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Can you matchmake US + France together in RBGF? Because I haven't seen that matchup all day, and all but one time fighting France was on that new French map. And the Hydra rockets are bugged to be useless against player tanks and really most things.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

Can you matchmake US + France together in RBGF? Because I haven't seen that matchup all day, and all but one time fighting France was on that new French map. And the Hydra rockets are bugged to be useless against player tanks and really most things.

You can definitely matchmake them together. Did a bunch of rounds as French while my buddy was American

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

It's "get good" but really "get used to it."

Flying mouse only is super limiting, IMO, and not just from what you can do and how you fly, but you can sometimes tell an opponent doesn't use their keyboard and thus can discount like 2/3 of their options off the bat as far as predicting how they'll fly or what they'll try. Mouse is for fine aim or very casual navigation or used in conjunction with keyboard.

Also what Sard said about tapping.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Tibbeh posted:

You can definitely matchmake them together. Did a bunch of rounds as French while my buddy was American

My RNG sucks.

e: 18 matches until I finally got France on my side and when I did it was US (like me and two others) + France (premiumspam) vs Germany, and for the first time I had a French team that couldn't aim their ATGM or play intelligently. gently caress this, back to VR

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 20, 2017

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if you press a key while the crosshair is on the screen, your plane will snap back to your mouselook heading when you release the key.

if you freelook so the crosshair is off the screen and then press a key, the opposite will happen; your mouselook will snap to your current, keyboard-set heading when you stop freelooking.

everything else follows from this; this is how you do neat loops, smooth roll and dives, make manoeuvres while scanning the environment etc.

referring to nfck’s vid, this is why you see his view quickly jerk at 5s; he’s getting the crosshair off the screen so he can transition to keyboard flying.

it’s a bit weird to describe but it’ll become second nature very quickly.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 20, 2017

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The 1.75 release video touts a shiny new flying tigers p-40 but I can’t find it in game for the life of me

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Can anyone explain the solid shot buff that apparently was included in this patch? I don't see it in the notes, and I'm not sure which tanks were affected.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
According to mike10d, the resident Reddit dataminer.

quote:

Solid shot buff

(fragmentation increase)

Buffed Round Types

apbc_tank
ap_tank
apc_solid_medium_caliber_tank (most brit ap)
apcbc_solid_medium_caliber_tank (most brit ap)
Not Buffed Solid Shot

APDS/ APFSDS of all types
apc_tank
apcbc_tank
ap_large_caliber_tank (US 120mm)

---

free hubcaps posted:

The 1.75 release video touts a shiny new flying tigers p-40 but I can’t find it in game for the life of me

I was expecting the warcrimes Panther to be available with this update too :(

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

They're the rewards for the winter event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

mlmp08 posted:

Also what Sard said about tapping.

sometimes its a combination of all 3. depending in the speed/angle/alt sometimes you wanna force the plane in a direction with hard locked keys then let go and let the mouse turn it which is sometimes actually a fraction of a second faster because it gets free rudder use then from there you tap it and hold as needed

its weird to describe but sometimes the mouse will actually outturn locking into keyboard turns. the major benefit to using the keyboard while mouse flying is that you can fully control the roll which has a significant impact in a close up dogfight where things like scissoring are commonplace