Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HIPAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

iospace posted:

Friendly reminder that code that determines if someone's health insurance paid out at a former job was the poster child for "spaghetti code". 1000 line functions, no comments, no one knew how it worked, even the people who originally wrote it.

return false; was too obvious, I guess

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Munkeymon posted:

return false; was too obvious, I guess

Yuuuuuuup.

Ranzear posted:

Isn't HIPPA per-violation though, so if you leak 10,000 instances you get fined 10,000 times or some poo poo?

I almost got a medical-related job with the state, and it was looking to involve HIPPA. Still don't think it paid nearly enough to deal with that poo poo.

I know the big one we got told about was a Blue Cross/Blue Shield company. They got fined 18.5m for 57 hard drives getting stolen: https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/payer/blue-cross-spends-18-5m-hipaa-violation

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Ranzear posted:

Isn't HIPPA per-violation though, so if you leak 10,000 instances you get fined 10,000 times or some poo poo?

In theory, yeah. I worked at a company that had an open submitted web form portal where the admin(every single person in the company including marketers and random fresh hire support techs) had full access to every client's patients submitted symptoms and stuff. Not full medical history, but enough. I looked it up and it would have instantly bankrupted the company(something like 500 violations at $50,000 each) if a successful HIPAA violation suit went down.

This company also kept submitted legacy credit card info in plain text and for some reason just refused to delete this even though it wasn't even relevant to the clients. Good poo poo.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
You should have reported them. Be the whistleblower people need.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

necrotic posted:

This, seriously. That's an enormous failure of both management and development (and IT) and put every clients privacy at risk, and possibly also their finances and identity!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
we were interviewing a programmer once for a position and he mentioned how he built an analytics portal for this random medical firm and he popped open his laptop and logged in and showed us all a bunch of confidential medical records.

he was a real class act. his side job was automating the "buying things on amazon for cheap and reselling them on ebay" process. we didn't hire him.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Giga Gaia posted:

In theory, yeah. I worked at a company that had an open submitted web form portal where the admin(every single person in the company including marketers and random fresh hire support techs) had full access to every client's patients submitted symptoms and stuff. Not full medical history, but enough. I looked it up and it would have instantly bankrupted the company(something like 500 violations at $50,000 each) if a successful HIPAA violation suit went down.

This company also kept submitted legacy credit card info in plain text and for some reason just refused to delete this even though it wasn't even relevant to the clients. Good poo poo.

HIPAA is awful, dealing with it is awful, the software dealing with it makes you write is awful, but instantly bankrupted the company? That's what insurance is for.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

KernelSlanders posted:

That's what insurance is for.

Oh bitter irony!

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

KernelSlanders posted:

HIPAA is awful, dealing with it is awful, the software dealing with it makes you write is awful, but instantly bankrupted the company? That's what insurance is for.

surely you can't get a blanket insurance policy against any and all HIPAA fines, who would want to underwrite that

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

KernelSlanders posted:

This would be a sort of regulatory malfeasance insurance, though. More correctly, this is what internal auditors are for.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/ricoviq/status/942821352532307968

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

This is one way to get people off IE.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
That's just what a disqus does before you throw it

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Multi-monitor horror: Not all the same height.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bet you this is some kind of CSS failure, where they have an animated style sheet for a loading icon or something and its attributes are getting mis-assigned.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
It is. The css class that spun a loader around wasn't getting removed in IE after content load. Its the first reply to that tweet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hope Disqus fixes their site on Chrome.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

necrotic posted:

Probably. Me and another guy mostly tried to fix it as best we could then I quit and kind of forgot all about it until that guy posted about HIPAA. Hopefully they've done something about that.

I found my old password file from the same company a few months back and tried a couple for a lark, apparently they never changed any sort of corporate account or server passwords either. I reported that to a friend who still foolishly works there and deleted the file. Her problem now!

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
So they haven't done poo poo and you left it in the hands of someone who apparently also doesn't give a poo poo.

Thank you for your service.

edit: Like, do those unchanged server passwords give you access to data? Because holy gently caress REPORT THEM.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Giga Gaia posted:

Probably. Me and another guy mostly tried to fix it as best we could then I quit and kind of forgot all about it until that guy posted about HIPAA. Hopefully they've done something about that.

I found my old password file from the same company a few months back and tried a couple for a lark, apparently they never changed any sort of corporate account or server passwords either. I reported that to a friend who still foolishly works there and deleted the file. Her problem now!

It's your responsibility as a developer (and a human being) to loving sort this poo poo out. This info is probably already circulating the darknet, man.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The CEO who thinks he's good at engineering told me not to write unit tests for the software I am developing.

I wrote a bunch anyways. I have now caught at 4 edge case bugs, 2 major bugs, and two memory leaks.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

The CEO who thinks he's good at engineering told me not to write unit tests for the software I am developing.

I wrote a bunch anyways. I have now caught at 4 edge case bugs, 2 major bugs, and two memory leaks.

Maybe he just assumed that you were at least as good at engineering as he is..[/s]

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

ratbert90 posted:

I have one of those. The logic appears to be not just that it takes longer to develop features if you write tests for them, but that it's harder to change the code to meet new requirements if there's tests to change too.

I'm just glad there were engineers around with enough experience he valued their opinion I could let have the argument.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hughlander posted:

Maybe he just assumed that you were at least as good at engineering as he is..[/s]

I also didn't write the code I wrote tests for. :shh:

Except for one. I was a noob and forgot a * (char) in a malloc. :smith:

Edit*

In my defense, I very rarely use mallocs. As I am a embedded programmer, most of the stuff doesn't need to be dynamically allocated.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Edison was a dick posted:

I have one of those. The logic appears to be not just that it takes longer to develop features if you write tests for them, but that it's harder to change the code to meet new requirements if there's tests to change too.

I run into this argument more often than I would like. Hey, here's a hot take: if changes in requirements mean that tests aren't useful any more, then delete the tests and rewrite them! I save more time by having tests in the change in which I add the tests just because they force me to properly exercise the code and I invariably find bugs that would have been difficult to find through manual testing.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

necrotic posted:

edit: Like, do those unchanged server passwords give you access to data? Because holy gently caress REPORT THEM.

Nah. That poo poo is all on an in-house server, as in literally in a back office. I was talking about their web servers they host the sites/blogs on.

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 20, 2017

canis minor
May 4, 2011

spotted on FB

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

canis minor posted:

spotted on FB

Ah, a classic @KevlinHenney (check out his twitter if you don't know it yet, it's full of 'computer errors in public spaces'.

The most surprising thing is that those 10 by 10 pixel icons are apparently encoded as PNGs.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ah, a classic @KevlinHenney (check out his twitter if you don't know it yet, it's full of 'computer errors in public spaces'.

The most surprising thing is that those 10 by 10 pixel icons are apparently encoded as PNGs.

Or maybe they're not and someone thought they could stick a png in there.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Coworker, to vendor: "Hey I ran into a problem on Dev. Can you take a look?"
Vendor: "Sure, just zip up the database and put it on the server where we can see it."
Coworker: "Sure thing." *creates 2GB ZIP of the database*

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but not in this thread: the Dev database contains a copy of our Production data and is not sanitized in any way. Hope the vendor properly scrubs all this criminal justice data and SSN's!

My last day is tomorrow.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Wow. The ad network I worked at didn't even let devs see production data without scrubbing it first.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Shader debugging is of the devil.

https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/944015464174305280

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Shader debugging is of the devil.

:cry:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Gotta love computers.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I'm not sure I get it. Is it the shader compiler doing an unsafe transformation of floating point code? Using one kind of operation in one place and a slightly different kind in another, and erroneously considering them equivalent?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

hackbunny posted:

I'm not sure I get it. Is it the shader compiler doing an unsafe transformation of floating point code? Using one kind of operation in one place and a slightly different kind in another, and erroneously considering them equivalent?

If I understand correctly FMA(a, b, c) operates at 'full' internal precision and then rounds, but a*b+c will round twice. So they're not equivalent.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

vOv posted:

If I understand correctly FMA(a, b, c) operates at 'full' internal precision and then rounds, but a*b+c will round twice. So they're not equivalent.
Yeah it's that and the fact that it computes the new "t" before checking the branch.

I think it's a good idea to just never put a loop in a shader that depends on floating point math to exit, there are so many ways that it can go wrong.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

floats were a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

All of humanity's problems can be traced back to the invention of numbers.