Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Guess the quote: The Punisher or Panzram: A Journal of Murder would be a good game.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Koalas March posted:

+ Miles Morales has a big fanbase, as does Ms Marvel

Yeah, I think comics in general do kinda okay telling stories by reaching out to different demographics. They aren’t anywhere close to perfect but as nerd media goes comics got actually kinda okay at some minimal level of diversity compared to how it was in the 90s.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

:phone: This is a poo poo centrist dem, gently caress him
:phoneb: Yeah gently caress but this is America and specifically this is Alabama
:phone: Holy poo poo lol did you see that this guy is a poo poo Dem?

Who would have guessed that there same people who were lauding the virtues of vote abstension are out today for their pound of flesh?

wtf is this

Defending sex criminals like Trump doesn't become magically okay because Jones is in Alabama

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

predicto posted:

If anyone still cares about this, I can explain what was going on.

Outside of SF City Hall is a plaza, with something like 20 flagpoles. For decades, they had a bunch of flags from American history (not all flags of the USA proper). They included the Betsy Ross Flag, the Gadsden "divided rattlesnake" Flag, the original California Bear Flag, the Lone Star Flag of Texas, the "Don't Give Up the Ship" flag from the early American Navy, the New England Pine Tree Flag, and others. Yes, one of them was a Confederate Flag. If you visit SF now, the flags have all been replaced by American Flags, but there are plaques at the bottom that tell what each one of the flagpoles used to have. It was basically a flag history lesson, and nothing more.

You can see from the picture that the flagpole is not on the front of City Hall, but out in the plaza. Sounds like someone climbed the flagpole and tore down the Confederate flag, and I suspect that a maintenance worker replaced it to keep the display complete.

Dianne Feinstein should get the hell out of Congress, but the idea that "Dianne Feinstein is a confederate sympathizer who puts the Dixie Flag on SF City Hall" is utterly ridiculous, and so of course angry and gullible goons believe it even though they can find no support elsewhere on the internet.

:goonsay: "Actually its about ethics in historical flag exhibits"

Okay buddy. And statues of Nathan Bedford Forrest are just scholarly history lessons for the kids.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is that a referance to

?

Lol no, I had no idea this even existed but now my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

Grapplejack posted:

As for the Punisher, people always paint him as this good hearted vigilante when he's seriously just an amoral monster that justifies his bloodlust via whatever he defines as "crime" at the time. I like the Punisher but I really dislike how people keep trying to whitewash the fact that he's really just a lunatic. Writers gently caress this up constantly and I don't know how, he isn't that complicated as a character.

As it stands, the Punisher is a fictional character, so writers can make him whatever they need him to be to tell an interesting story. For instance, the Netflix Marvel one is pretty good and interesting and human and it's way more entertaining then some amoral villain blowing criminals away for twelve episodes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DrNutt posted:

Lol no, I had no idea this even existed but now my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/PhillyInquirer/status/942875582303481857

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

predicto posted:

If anyone still cares about this, I can explain what was going on.

Outside of SF City Hall is a plaza, with something like 20 flagpoles. For decades, they had a bunch of flags from American history (not all flags of the USA proper). They included the Betsy Ross Flag, the Gadsden "divided rattlesnake" Flag, the original California Bear Flag, the Lone Star Flag of Texas, the "Don't Give Up the Ship" flag from the early American Navy, the New England Pine Tree Flag, and others. Yes, one of them was a Confederate Flag. If you visit SF now, the flags have all been replaced by American Flags, but there are plaques at the bottom that tell what each one of the flagpoles used to have. It was basically a flag history lesson, and nothing more.

You can see from the picture that the flagpole is not on the front of City Hall, but out in the plaza. Sounds like someone climbed the flagpole and tore down the Confederate flag, and I suspect that a maintenance worker replaced it to keep the display complete.

Dianne Feinstein should get the hell out of Congress, but the idea that "Dianne Feinstein is a confederate sympathizer who puts the Dixie Flag on SF City Hall" is utterly ridiculous, and so of course angry and gullible goons believe it even though they can find no support elsewhere on the internet.

the battle flag of the army of north virginia is not part of californian history, nor is the battle flag of Forrest's Cavalry Corps, so you're dead wrong

now gently caress off

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We should give Dianne "P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Act" "omnisurveillance is privacy" "Ministry of Truth" "Arabs? Kill em All" Feinstein the benefit of the doubt on flying the slavery banner, what if it was for good reasons like an honest belief that slavery is freedom.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If we don't reelect Feinstein, who will be there to uphold decorum and give bipartisan legitimacy to the L.O.Y.A.L.T.Y. Act and the W.H.A.T.A.R.E.Y.O.U.S.O.M.E.S.O.R.T.O.F.F.A.G. Act, the terrists will win!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 19, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Koalas March posted:

+ Miles Morales has a big fanbase, as does Ms Marvel

I'm totally a fan when they're done right, and I'm pretty sure half the reason Green Lantern the movie bombed was because the only one anyone knows and cares about these days is John Stewart. (not the talk show host) Nobody remembers Super Friends anymore.

A lot of those examples are C to D-list characters from the comics who had their name and loose concept recycled and retooled into something new, since no one gave the slightest gently caress about who they were before. (weirdly enough, the original Blue Beetle probably is better known for influencing Watchmen's Nite Owl)

Then there's Black Lightning, who's almost single-handedly spawned the rather odd accidental comic stereotype of black superheroes having electric powers (when it's not vague 'toughness', ala Luke Cage) due to DC creating like half a dozen serial-numbers-filed off versions of him to get around rights issues. One of the oddest comic book stereotypes, up there with how at least 90% of Catholic superheroes either have demon-themed costumes, look like demons or are demons. Although I'm not sure if this extends to Hispanic Catholics.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So, which country is post tax bill America most likely to look like?

Hard mode: no Brazil.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Office Pig posted:

So, which country is post tax bill America most likely to look like?

Hard mode: no Brazil.

Venezuela, but down the line North Korea.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
So amateur not to also ban Russia as a choice.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Condiv posted:

the battle flag of the army of north virginia is not part of californian history, nor is the battle flag of Forrest's Cavalry Corps, so you're dead wrong

now gently caress off

Neither is the lone star flag.

Also this whole screaming at people that Feinstein sucks thing is kinda dumb because no poo poo is she bad. Her district is the husk of SF after everyone decent was priced out of the city, and she's never gonna lose it no matter what flag got run up.

Defending it is dumb, too. The whole thing is stupid from all angles.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also this whole screaming at people that Feinstein sucks thing is kinda dumb because no poo poo is she bad.
Complaining about bad politicians is bad because everyone agrees they are bad, yet somehow they keep getting elected, please stop complaining and just accept that bad politicians wield huge power even though everyone agrees they are bad?

quote:

Her district is the husk of SF
Feinstein is a Senator, her "district" is California.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Neither is the lone star flag.

Also this whole screaming at people that Feinstein sucks thing is kinda dumb because no poo poo is she bad. Her district is the husk of SF after everyone decent was priced out of the city, and she's never gonna lose it no matter what flag got run up.

Defending it is dumb, too. The whole thing is stupid from all angles.

Feinstein's "district" is the entire State of California because she's a Senator

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I remember reading some of my evidence for a policy debate in high school and one of my pieces referencing the NMD system was a quote by Feinstein, at which point a whole group of adults in the practice area started getting pissy about "that bitch."

That's rural Missouri and that's my story.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

I remember reading some of my evidence for a policy debate in high school and one of my pieces referencing the NMD system was a quote by Feinstein, at which point a whole group of adults in the practice area started getting pissy about "that bitch."

Bet they've got some pretty hot takes about Nancy "Does Everything Right But Must Go" Pelosi too

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Bet they've got some pretty hot takes about Nancy "Does Everything Right But Must Go" Pelosi too

"that bitch pelosi" is literally her name.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Suburban as a classification with a connection to wealth or race is becoming meaningless as suburbs change in face of gentrification in large cities. Bethesda, MD and Bladensburg, MD are very different, despite the fact that they are less than an hour away from one another and just outside Washington, DC.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure half the reason Green Lantern the movie bombed was because the only one anyone knows and cares about these days is John Stewart.

I wish, John Stewart is great (As is Guy Gardner) but the typical go-to Green Lantern people somehow still like is dry as hell Hal Jordan.

Also Frank Castle owns but like every character, they depend on their writer.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 19, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Democrazy posted:

despite the fact that they are less than an hour away from one another and just outside Washington, DC.

Why would being an hour away make things the same? Tribeca is like .5 miles from harlem and you can take a subway between the two in like a minute. Different sort of places are always physically close near cities. Being an hour away might as well be a billion miles in city terms.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

No Butt Stuff posted:

Of course your rural Missourians would have a problem with one of the comfiest shoes ever made.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why would being an hour away make things the same? Tribeca is like .5 miles from harlem and you can take a subway between the two in like a minute. Different sort of places are always physically close near cities. Being an hour away might as well be a billion miles in city terms.

The point is that they’re both suburbs but wildly different. Talking about the suburbs like a cogent demographic signifier makes no sense, especially in the context of gentrification of urban centers.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

predicto posted:

lol she literally put it back up to woo dixiecrats

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

TheScott2K posted:

Feinstein's "district" is the entire State of California because she's a Senator

she only represents the rich white areas of the bay through

e:
https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein/status/942454012711964673

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 19, 2017

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Scale? Google maps says they are about 30 minutes away from each other by subway. About 10 miles away.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/942990174656405506

https://twitter.com/cameron__keller/status/942993715143966721

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I hope getting approvingly RT'd by The Punched makes Dr. West take a step back and do some reflecting.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

I hope getting approvingly RT'd by The Punched makes Dr. West take a step back and do some reflecting.

You hope that a commentator is going to shut up because of some obvious bad faith trolling?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

Nothing West said or did was out of line, and nothing was incumbent on either Coates or West to consider the trolling of a parasitic Nazi.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

West done been lost his mind. It's sad honestly.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

You hope that a commentator is going to shut up because of some obvious bad faith trolling?

I didn't say he should shut up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

It's white nonsense. Whenever I tell someone to reflect or think about anything or even be the least bit introspective I'm always accused of trying to shut people up like???

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Koalas March posted:

West done been lost his mind. It's sad honestly.

How so?

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah, you only implied that he needs to feel remorse because some nazi who lacks anything close to the intellectual capacity to even begin to grasp West's arguments pretended to agree with him. Totally different.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't understand why West felt the need to do this

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

I’ve followed the Coates-West thing a bit, but I could use a refresher, since it really goes back several years by this point. Are there a good few articles to read?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

How so?

Yeah, you only implied that he needs to feel remorse because some nazi who lacks anything close to the intellectual capacity to even begin to grasp West's arguments pretended to agree with him. Totally different.

"Rethink your bad takes" isn't silencing anyone. Stop being dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My first reaction to that article was to think "Cornel West sees Coates as the competition." It seemed like an overly harsh article; calling him neoliberal was just cold.

Coates' work is very pessimistic but that doesn't necessarily equate to wrong.

• Locked thread