Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

Wait do you have to pick one and only one character to play as in online games? Like... you can't just pick a character when the match starts?

What the hell is this game

In ranked matches you pick your character before you start matchmaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

COOL CORN posted:

Wait do you have to pick one and only one character to play as in online games? Like... you can't just pick a character when the match starts?

What the hell is this game

I poo poo all over SFV, but locking into a character when you start matchmaking is now just a thing most 3D rendered fighters do.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

mango sentinel posted:

I poo poo all over SFV, but locking into a character when you start matchmaking is now just a thing most 3D rendered fighters do.

Huh. I have seriously played fighters since 3rd Strike. Oh well.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I mean, it makes sense. Most people have a main that they specialize in if they're playing ranked. You can't really play character select screen mindgames with an opponent who isn't allowed to see your choice until it's locked in.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

COOL CORN posted:

Huh. I have seriously played fighters since 3rd Strike. Oh well.

Its saving you like 90 seconds of loading char select, waiting for the opponent to finish his bong rip and pick, loading the match up screen, etc

In a game like sfv with huge loads already character select would be backbreaking

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The only time it sucks if you're in a string of rematches with the same person I might want to try another character without having to peace out on someone I'm having fun with.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
matchmaking is usually matchup-dependent to at least some extent, too. So they need to know the character beforehand.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

The only time it sucks if you're in a string of rematches with the same person I might want to try another character without having to peace out on someone I'm having fun with.

Invite the dude to a lobby

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Invite the dude to a lobby

Just because I'm having a fun coffee date doesn't mean I'm bringing the dude home after!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Just because I'm having a fun coffee date doesn't mean I'm bringing the dude home after!

Then he’ll just find someone who will. Bad analogy

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://gfycat.com/ReflectingUntriedGrison

SFV is suddenly good?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AE will be adding a Team Versus Mode to make running team tourneys easier and because it's a fun thing to do. More games should have this option even if most people don't use it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uXbhT1osqE

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If they had that mode online with 1 round knockouts and health staying the same between matches I would play sfv again

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I’ve been playing a decent amount in anticipation for Sakura/AE, and good dang I cannot stand fighting Sim. The hell is chun li supposed to do against him? I feel like I can’t get in on him because he’ll just poke me away or warp away from me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

zelah posted:

I’ve been playing a decent amount in anticipation for Sakura/AE, and good dang I cannot stand fighting Sim. The hell is chun li supposed to do against him? I feel like I can’t get in on him because he’ll just poke me away or warp away from me.

Hold db and then when he does a thing do a charge move

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

zelah posted:

Just focus attack through his limbs.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Just focus attack through his limbs.

SFV would be so sick if myself and only myself had access to focus attacks.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I really want it to be feasible for balrog to sit on his TAP for max charge like how kaneblueriver would sit on raiden's dropkick in kof13 and basically murder characters in one hit.

I'm glad this is no longer feasible.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I've been getting back into this game with friends and holy poo poo it's gonna take me four hundred years to earn enough fight moneys for Abigail isn't it

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Bleck posted:

I've been getting back into this game with friends and holy poo poo it's gonna take me four hundred years to earn enough fight moneys for Abigail isn't it

Do every character story every S1 and s2 trial and cinematic story mode and that's enough for like 3-4 characters right there.

Also make sure to watch every demonstration and tutorial thing as they all give fm as well

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

what the https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/950050499738374145

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Just when you thought leaks weren't coming, Capcom finds a way

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Luna Was Here posted:

Just when you thought leaks weren't coming, Capcom finds a way

After leaking their Season 3 lineup themselves they *had* to keep something back to accidentally drop.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

At what rank will people stop ducking out of match 3 like wusses? Im guessing never.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
[old time samurai] at what rank will these bandits stop throwing sand in my face like dishonorable curs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The only honorable cfn fighter is the ryu light kick bot that somehow has hundreds of points despite having a gameplan of lk on turbo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I always threematch. You shall never get my salt.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Is it bad manners to ready up for the rematch first when you just won? Feels aggressive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I always threematch. You shall never get my salt.

Nice

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

zelah posted:

Is it bad manners to ready up for the rematch first when you just won? Feels aggressive.

Course not just mash and play your next match.

As for dropping out before you play bo3 I find that's most common not even at low ranks but at super and ultra diamond. People really wanna protect those points.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011
Points are serious. After a particularly bad losing streak I had to remortgage my house for LP

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

This seems.... good?

https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/950312515099009026

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sakura is doing meth, huh?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 10, 2018

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Sakura is doing meth, huh?

She's got all her teeth, so I'd rule out meth. The complete lack of pupils is making me think psilocybin mushrooms, but those were made illegal in Japan in 2002. What year is SFV supposed to take place?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Why do the eyes look worse on the story costume?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

FanaticalMilk posted:

She's got all her teeth, so I'd rule out meth. The complete lack of pupils is making me think psilocybin mushrooms, but those were made illegal in Japan in 2002. What year is SFV supposed to take place?

I don't think any Street Fighter takes place beyond 2000

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

That's accurate. 3S is the latest one chronologically and it takes place in 1999.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

loving casuals

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

loving casuals

Its 1005 times better than sf2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Dias posted:

Why do the eyes look worse on the story costume?

Left character model looks cool and dare I say good though