Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

evilweasel posted:

i think it's distinguishing them from feral cats given that undomesticated cats went extinct a while ago

no they didn't, wildcats aren't endangered and the Americas still have multiple felinae like bobcats and caracals

a housecat is a domesticated cat you don't let outside because they are natural eco-destroyers

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/943136421765840896

Yes, that certainly sounds like most average families. Who among us doesn't have a side business making $40,000/yr?

on the list of great ideas that won't happen; politicians to be held criminally responsible for deliberate misinformation about a family of non-existant class traitors

seriously politicians shouldnt be allowed to lie so brazenly but drat if it isnt hard to stop

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Just look at how Teresa May wants absolutely nothing to do with a potential Trump state visit.

she is the only person in Britain who does want the visit, Parliament's suggested banning him and the only reason he's going to come is because she just cannot back down on anything

wildcat tax

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

even if every single one had two cats it wouldn't be.

You don't really have two barn cats. You have an indefinite ever shifting number of cats you see sometimes. Barn cats are more about sustaining a vague cat colony across all the local farms and not about individual cats. Like growing up we had cats, but we also had like, the cat that slept under our house sometimes we called whitey because he was white and sometimes in the nearby fields you'd run into black whitey you looked like whitey but black and it was too much work to think of totally new names for all these random cats hanging out in and around farms.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Meat is gonna become a luxury in our lifetimes (assuming everyone here is in their 20'/30's) anyway.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

"Abraham Lincoln."

"Barack Obama"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Whoever said he should just be connected to the Internet and repeat whatever Trump just tweeted was spot on.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spangly A posted:

no they didn't, wildcats aren't endangered and the Americas still have multiple felinae like bobcats and caracals

wow you're right, i don't know how i got that into my head that wildcats were extinct - i thought they'd died off like five thousand years ago or more. that was very, very wrong.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ague Proof posted:

"Abraham Lincoln."

"Barack Obama"

Imagineers, please program the GWB robot to say "that was some weird poo poo" when Trump finishes talking

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Spangly A posted:

on the list of great ideas that won't happen; politicians to be held criminally responsible for deliberate misinformation about a family of non-existant class traitors

seriously politicians shouldnt be allowed to lie so brazenly but drat if it isnt hard to stop

He isn’t lying though. If that hypothetical couple existed, that would be their tax break.

It’s just, those people don’t exist. If anything he’s more of a people creator, than a job creator.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

wow you're right, i don't know how i got that into my head that wildcats were extinct - i thought they'd died off like five thousand years ago or more. that was very, very wrong.

There are several populations of Wildcats in most suburbs, corresponding almost exactly to the location of Middle and High Schools

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Radish posted:

Whoever said he should just be connected to the Internet and repeat whatever Trump just tweeted was spot on.

Bonus points if it's like 5:30am and nobody's even listening, or it interrupts the regular show.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/943159208085786624

lol good luck with that, this is way less than the obama payroll tax cuts which about 90% of people didn't notice and those 10% probably knew to look for it

it's like four bucks a month for most people

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

nah, he's just following the manchin route: he's from a deep red state and the way to get re-elected is to be loudly republican where it will help in the state (which is why nobody bit on obamacare repeal and the current tax nonsense, which nobody likes) and doesn't matter and quietly democratic where it does. in other news, manchin is looking reasonably likely to get re-elected in loving west virginia.

I don’t think this bears out. The people who voted in Jones don’t really bear any resemblance to the electorate in WV; he was brought in upon the backs of black Alabama, and tellingly, white voters who went Jones are overwhelmingly detached from the evangelical crowd where Jones comments on allegations against Trump would have weight if he were a Republican. And if the polling on Moore’s pedophilia having nearly no impact bears out, triangulating against the base that rammed him into office seems unwise.

This all makes even less sense if you believe he’s only in for 2020.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
re: cats. We used to let one of ours out, but he's getting older and got mauled in a fight with something bad enough to need vet care and antibiotics. Now all the cats are indoors, which is just as well as there's lots of coyotes in my area (they're particularly prevalent in spring when they're establishing territory).

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
We used to take on un adoptable feral cats to use as Farm cats to keep the rat population at Bay. However, due to our incredibly large coyote, possum, weasel and raccoon population the average lifespan was a little under a year. Except for Sean Connery, he came to us mangled and earless, and 5 years in he was still going strong although at some point he lost a foot. That's my cat story.

My neighbor's feeds an unending stream of house cats to the coyotes though, she doesn't seem to learn her lesson.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Office Pig posted:

I don’t think this bears out. The people who voted in Jones don’t really bear any resemblance to the electorate in WV; he was brought in upon the backs of black Alabama, and tellingly, white voters who went Jones are overwhelmingly detached from the evangelical crowd where Jones comments on allegations against Trump would have weight if he were a Republican. And if the polling on Moore’s pedophilia having nearly no impact bears out, triangulating against the base that rammed him into office seems unwise.

This all makes even less sense if you believe he’s only in for 2020.

yeah but the people who voted in Jones were an odd electorate that's not likely to be repeated in 2020. in 2020 there's probably gonna be a majority of trump voters in alabama. i think you're right i mischaracterized it a bit. he's not gonna go full manchin, but i think he's going to avoid being the face of fights with trump because he will need the votes of people who still like trump but feel like the republican party isn't representing their interests anymore

he'll spend time talking about the tax bill, but not really about how trump should resign.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

bird cooch posted:

We used to take on un adoptable feral cats to use as Farm cats to keep the rat population at Bay. However, due to our incredibly large coyote, possum, weasel and raccoon population the average lifespan was a little under a year. Except for Sean Connery, he came to us mangled and earless, and 5 years in he was still going strong although at some point he lost a foot. That's my cat story.

My neighbor's feeds an unending stream of house cats to the coyotes though, she doesn't seem to learn her lesson.

You should tell the local shelters about her so they stop adopting out to her.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress Cornyn, that son of a bitch is a bigger monster than Cruz could ever hope to be. He’s the whip and McConnell’s right-hand man for Christ’s sake, you don’t get there without being waist deep in blood and oil.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Office Pig posted:

Fick Corbyn, that son of a bitch is a bigger monster than Cruz could ever hope to be. He’s the whip and McConnell’s right-hand man for Christ’s sake, you don’t get there without being waist deep in blood and oil.

i think you mean Cornyn, not Corbyn who is the leader of the labor party in the UK :v:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Reik posted:

You should tell the local shelters about her so they stop adopting out to her.

We have a local issue of the woods folk running kitten and puppy mills out of their meth trailers, I think that our local shelters are glad just not to have to euthanize all the cats.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

He isn’t lying though. If that hypothetical couple existed, that would be their tax break.

It’s just, those people don’t exist. If anything he’s more of a people creator, than a job creator.

I'd file that under deliberate misinformation; a politicians job is to represent their constituents. Shouldn't he be talking about a married couple earning $55k?

I'm trying to use a tax calculator on this but it keeps telling me that the taxes owed for a family of two taking in $55k with two kids is now zero because the child tax credit deductions at $2k each are larger than the taxes owed. The difference I worked without child dependants amounts to under $200

... this can't be right?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

evilweasel posted:

i think you mean Cornyn, not Corbyn who is the leader of the labor party in the UK :v:

My phone plots against me.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Donald when he hears Obama's name.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I wonder how much security they have around those presidential robots.

Because I absolutely could see someone jumping the stage

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Wasn't the NSS publishing something about lowering the standards for a preemptive attack (with or without nukes) to include this kind of stuff just a few days ago?

Holy poo poo. Is this Trump's WMD excuse?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

yeah but the people who voted in Jones were an odd electorate that's not likely to be repeated in 2020. in 2020 there's probably gonna be a majority of trump voters in alabama. i think you're right i mischaracterized it a bit. he's not gonna go full manchin, but i think he's going to avoid being the face of fights with trump because he will need the votes of people who still like trump but feel like the republican party isn't representing their interests anymore

he'll spend time talking about the tax bill, but not really about how trump should resign.

Yeah, people need to remember that most of Trump's success (other than literally decades of anti-Hillary propaganda) was that Trump ran as a pretty hard-core populist, promising that the tax system would become more progressive, and he wouldn't mind paying more, that he would greatly improve the health care system for everyone, etc.

I don't think its a total coincidence that Trump's poll numbers tanked as soon as everyone realized that his promises weren't just lies, but that he would do everything he possibly can to enact the exact opposite of his populist promises. Its not all disgust and/or fear of Trump, if you were able to vote for him, then you already figured out a way to be fine with his distasteful personality. Its still a bit of a stretch to predict a Jones victory, but his best shot as a Democrat would be to avoid the personality cult of Trump, be quiet on the social/religious issues, and run as a hard-core populist.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rigel posted:

Yeah, people need to remember that most of Trump's success (other than literally decades of anti-Hillary propaganda) was that Trump ran as a pretty hard-core populist, promising that the tax system would become more progressive, and he wouldn't mind paying more, that he would greatly improve the health care system for everyone, etc.

I don't think its a total coincidence that Trump's poll numbers tanked as soon as everyone realized that his promises weren't just lies, but that he would do everything he possibly can to enact the exact opposite of his populist promises. Its not all disgust and/or fear of Trump, if you were able to vote for him, then you figured out a while to be fine with his distasteful personality. Its still a bit of a stretch to predict a Jones victory, but his best shot as a Democrat would be to avoid the personality cult of Trump, be quiet on the social/religious issues, and run as a hard-core populist.

See: the wall

Like, that was his number one campaign slogan/promise, BUILD THE WALL.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I wonder how much security they have around those presidential robots.

Because I absolutely could see someone jumping the stage

They're each protected by their own animatronic Secret Service agents.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

That Italian Guy posted:

Wasn't the NSS publishing something about lowering the standards for a preemptive attack (with or without nukes) to include this kind of stuff just a few days ago?

Holy poo poo. Is this Trump's WMD excuse?

no.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Spangly A posted:

a housecat is a domesticated cat you don't let outside because they are natural eco-destroyers
The future for the European wildcat isn't great. In addition to the usual issues facing wild animals these days, cross-breeding with domesticated cats is going to slowly dilute them away.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Taerkar posted:

I wonder if you can actually find this family.

We're close. My salary is a bit higher, but we get $10-20k a year in farm income, and my wife's eBay hustle is $10-15k a year.

I never thought I'd be the star of a John Cornyn tweet, but here we are.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Whenever Reddit sets up those "text your zip code to 0999 to automatically send your representatives a fax on xxxxxxx" things and I send in my zip code it spits back out "Your representatives are T. CRUZ (R) and J. CORNYN (R)" I want to drive into a telephone pole

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Spangly A posted:

I'm trying to use a tax calculator on this but it keeps telling me that the taxes owed for a family of two taking in $55k with two kids is now zero because the child tax credit deductions at $2k each are larger than the taxes owed. The difference I worked without child dependants amounts to under $200

... this can't be right?

It matches my napkin math for my son. So either you and I have missed something or...

Also, I was being snarky about Cornyn, he’s disingenuous as all hell.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Whenever Reddit sets up those "text your zip code to 0999 to automatically send your representatives a fax on xxxxxxx" things and I send in my zip code it spits back out "Your representatives are T. CRUZ (R) and J. CORNYN (R)" I want to drive into a telephone pole

Don't text while driving.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Blitz7x posted:

I can never tell if Texas or Kentucky have the more infuriating Senate roster.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Blitz7x posted:

Kick out Cruz next November

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

evilweasel posted:

THE ABSOLUTE BOY JOHN CORNYN.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

IUG posted:

Don't text while driving.

Unless you're for some reason driving down the halls of the senate offices, in which case, text away.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

mango sentinel posted:

I can never tell if Texas or Kentucky have the more infuriating Senate roster.

Rand Paul can be beaten in Kentucky.

Ask his neighbor.

evilweasel posted:

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 19, 2017

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Blitz7x posted:

To be honest if everyone in America drove into telephone poles simultaneously it would have a thousand times more impact on, say, net neutrality than faxing Ted Cruz and John Cornyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

Rand Paul can be beaten in Kentucky.

Ask his neighbor.

:master:

• Locked thread