Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pick posted:

If TV doesn't matter then why not throw a bone to anyone who wants to see literally ANY OTHER SHOW?

The idea is for a person that has never not had youtube and netflix and a thousand other channels to watch any other show the market for cartoon network becomes "I can turn it on any time day or night and the thing I like will be on", if you don't want to watch teen titans you already have a billion other things to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The idea of moving around the blocs, though, is to encourage anyone who is casually watching to be exposed to something else and then start watching that. You can "leave a TV on" (and kids still do) in a way that clicking an episode on an app doesn't capture.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's utterly demented no matter what way you slice it. It only makes sense if they've completely abandoned the platform and are just putting on the one show that creates the most ad revenue. Otherwise they'd, you know, promote other shows, air reruns, you know, use their timeslots in a smart way.

If they're airing Teen Titans Go 300 times a week then it's safe to say they've given up ever getting TV to come back as a major revenue source.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And really, given people do cancel streaming services to tighten the belt - and cable/satellite usually have more selection and is a bigger pain in the rear end to cancel, that's what gets kept - it's nuts to do a 24/7 marathon of one show, and I know many times I find a show by having a channel on in the background as much as word of mouth, they're also shooting their App in the foot by not advertising it or other shows you can find on said app.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Moon Atari posted:

Back on In This Corner of The World though: I really can't recommend it enough. It's a million times better than The Wind Rises for a movie with similar aims and will probably be considered a classic. A little hard to talk about without spoiling things except to say that it covers normal life in times of war really well and the characters are very appealing. It has a fantastic art style as well, including a few subtle but beautiful moments of the main character's artist vision being superimposed on her perception of reality.

This showed up on my library's streaming service not long ago, so I gave it a shot. The story eventually sucked me in and I genuinely liked it. I think the fact that's such an extremely narrow perspective actually helps it get past being just another 'war film'. It's simply about how this person's life is affected by those things, told in a straightforward way. I don't know the source, but it really feels like it's from someone's journal. It seemed more authentic than most period pieces — her actions fit in with her time and they don't try to force a modern perspective on it (that also makes it easier to forgive the film's somewhat conservative attitude toward the war).

Initially I found the art style a bit too basic. It felt like a TV show with its stronger focus on character design over scenery, but it contrasted quite well with the moments when they change it up; it's the sort of thing where they knew what to spend their time on.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Anyone see Ferdinand? An older lady in the concession stand line was hoping it wasn't going to be sad like that will be a waste of a movie ticket

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Anyone see Ferdinand? An older lady in the concession stand line was hoping it wasn't going to be sad like that will be a waste of a movie ticket

She probably watched Coco.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SatansBestBuddy posted:

probably not, no

pish pah, that's nothing compared to

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

And really, given people do cancel streaming services to tighten the belt - and cable/satellite usually have more selection and is a bigger pain in the rear end to cancel, that's what gets kept - it's nuts to do a 24/7 marathon of one show, and I know many times I find a show by having a channel on in the background as much as word of mouth, they're also shooting their App in the foot by not advertising it or other shows you can find on said app.

Your view is that the trend is people canceling apps to watch cable?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

No, see, that's perfectly logical because apps! Which is why all the other stations are also playing one show over and over again! This is life now, grandpa!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

all i want is to watch We Bare Bears without having to be bombarded by TTG. is that so much to ask, CN? I can't use your dumb app because my internet sucks.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Your view is that the trend is people canceling apps to watch cable?

Not everyone's gonna have multiple streaming services and cable, and have you *tried* to cancel cable?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Das Boo posted:

No, see, that's perfectly logical because apps! Which is why all the other stations are also playing one show over and over again! This is life now, grandpa!

Other stations ARE doing this, here is the history channel schedual right now:

Here is the discovery channel tommarow:

Like eventually they do show other things, but so does cartoon network, "show the same show for huge blocks of time" is what tv is now since they have given up on the concept of someone sitting and watching a channel indefinitely like an old broadcast network.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

Not everyone's gonna have multiple streaming services and cable, and have you *tried* to cancel cable?

Cable is dying rapidly.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cable-tv-subscribers-plunging-2015-8

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Other stations ARE doing this, here is the history channel schedual right now:

Here is the discovery channel tommarow:

Like eventually they do show other things, but so does cartoon network, "show the same show for huge blocks of time" is what tv is now since they have given up on the concept of someone sitting and watching a channel indefinitely like an old broadcast network.

Uhhh, History Channel's not exactly what I would have gone to for "shining beacon of televised leadership," but there you go. And "blocks" are different than

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

on the flipside, this week's schedule actually has a show other than Teen Titans Go as the most reran

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like, I know from cultural osmosis CN has several other cartoon shows like the bears one, Gumball as seen in that other ridiculous schedule, the show that looks like it belongs on late 90’s Fox Kids with the swords, and uh ok I’m drawing a blank. Do they still have the What A Cartoon! block?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Kangra posted:

This showed up on my library's streaming service not long ago, so I gave it a shot. The story eventually sucked me in and I genuinely liked it. I think the fact that's such an extremely narrow perspective actually helps it get past being just another 'war film'. It's simply about how this person's life is affected by those things, told in a straightforward way. I don't know the source, but it really feels like it's from someone's journal. It seemed more authentic than most period pieces — her actions fit in with her time and they don't try to force a modern perspective on it (that also makes it easier to forgive the film's somewhat conservative attitude toward the war).

Initially I found the art style a bit too basic. It felt like a TV show with its stronger focus on character design over scenery, but it contrasted quite well with the moments when they change it up; it's the sort of thing where they knew what to spend their time on.

I liked the cutesy peanuts meets anime character design because it felt like something the main character herself would draw, which fits with the very personal recollection style where it dips in and out of her imagination. Also it's so innocent and happy that it lulled me into forgetting that the location and time period meant tragedy was bound to happen, enough so that it was a shock when things got real.

Many of the details are borrowed from real war anecdotes (like the Hiroshima melted soldier who crawls home only to die in the corner unrecognised by his mother), and it apparently has some ridiculous attention to detail with their outfits and rationing strategies, and the post Hiroshima scenes are modelled from actual photography. At the same time the main appeal was that it felt rich with little details of life rather than just collecting war anecdotes. Things like the sequence with her childhood crush coming to 'rescue' her from her marriage were touching and real and had little to do with the war.

I don't know if I'd call its attitude towards the war conservative: rather it makes sure to restrict its scope to the personal and never touch on the political. The one moment that might seem political is when Suzu is furious about the surrender, but her reasoning is all personal. She has a sort of prideful sunk cost fallacy where the surrender stating that their suffering has just now become intolerable invalidates all the hard living she has had to do past the point when it became intolerable for her. Then when she breaks down it is at the war itself rather than the surrender, crying that she "wanted to stay a daydreamer forever" when at that point it certainly wasn't the surrender taking that away. On her way to cry in the field you also see her sister-in-law against the side of the house bawling about her daughter: the surrender both gave permission to and forced them all to acknowledge their suffering.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nobody is saying the app thing is the right thing to do or even makes sense, it's just why CN is doing it.

Because they're stupid and doing things wrong, you see.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

Nobody is saying the app thing is the right thing to do or even makes sense, it's just why CN is doing it.

Because they're stupid and doing things wrong, you see.

I’m not sure if it’s wrong or just hopeless. I can’t even imagine how much their viewership must be dropping. They know they can’t ever compete with YouTube or Netflix or even pewdiepie for kids viewing time.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Cable company execs must be the dumbest people on the planet. All you’d need to do to save tv is have each channel build a library of old episodes that can be accessed on the fly. Then, turn the main channels into elaborate livestreams and use them to advertise the channel’s back catalog (which will have ads attached by the channels to each episode). It’s not that hard.

Oh! And maybe not charge $100+ for ad supported content. That would be nice too.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

readingatwork posted:

Cable company execs must be the dumbest people on the planet. All you’d need to do to save tv is have each channel build a library of old episodes that can be accessed on the fly. Then, turn the main channels into elaborate livestreams and use them to advertise the channel’s back catalog (which will have ads attached by the channels to each episode). It’s not that hard.

It's probably not that we are smart and they are dumb, they would probably love to make things go back to 1985 when cable was the only choice for in home video entertainment and they could just do a "normal" schedule.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's probably not that we are smart and they are dumb, they would probably love to make things go back to 1985 when cable was the only choice for in home video entertainment and they could just do a "normal" schedule.

I think it's pretty much this, they have no idea what the hell to do with streaming services, hell they fought tooth and nail to try to make home recordings illegal. They know they got a problem but no idea how to handle the competition.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Robindaybird posted:

I think it's pretty much this, they have no idea what the hell to do with streaming services, hell they fought tooth and nail to try to make home recordings illegal. They know they got a problem but no idea how to handle the competition.

This is pretty clearly why Disney is buying Fox - because as big as they are in old media, they need more resources IP-wise to compete in new media like streaming services where they have no idea what they're doing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, I'm sure no one at CN looks at things like this gimmick and says "yeah, this is good and fine", I am sure they all just wish things could go back to how things used to be and just have people watch tv in the way they used to watch tv, but they also know that watching their shows on tv is inferior in literally every way than watching it digitally and that like older people can get sucked in by tradition to watch things the traditional way but a kid is gonna just watch everything on an app. (followed by just not watching mainstream tv at all and just watching minecraft lets plays, followed by watching elsa injects pregnant spiderman finger family instead if modern media companies don't figure SOMETHING out)

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Which one of you fucks greenlit the Gnomeo & Juliet sequel

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FutonForensic posted:

Which one of you fucks greenlit the Gnomeo & Juliet sequel

you did

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

readingatwork posted:

I'm pretty sure becoming Netflix without the option to choose specific episodes or the time you watch them wouldn't be the business model to save cable. Competing with Youtube autoplay for "poo poo you can park your baby in front of/flip on in the background while you're working and reliably get endless hours of standardized content without having to deal with it further" and making exclusivity contracts with the NFL are pretty much the only niches where piping in centrally-programmed video by wire isn't just innately inferior to the alternatives.

Like newspapers, it's got nothing to do with specific programming or business decisions, cable TV as a medium is just at a dead end. Unlike the news industry cable TV companies actually did get out ahead of the march of progress and are now mainly cable internet companies that will happily upsell you some TV if you want it.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 18, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
has anyone seen Mary and the Witch's Flower (Meari to majo no hana)? Being made by ex Ghibli people I'm hoping it's pretty good.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I think I had someone that watched it clear it up for me but everytime I watch marketing it screams KIKI AND HOWL'S SPIRITED WORLD OF PONYO (marnie is there, too). Rather than a story it looks more like a portfolio for investors.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

starkebn posted:

has anyone seen Mary and the Witch's Flower (Meari to majo no hana)? Being made by ex Ghibli people I'm hoping it's pretty good.

I don't think it gets a wide release until January, I've heard good things though.

I recently saw The Red Turtle, which is apparently a coproduction of Ghibli and some French studio. It's an arty type of deal, having no dialogue and being kind of abstract. It felt like a portrayal of an islander tribal myth or legend. Also, it's a man on turtle romance 🐢

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Red Turtle kicks aaaaassssss

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
So apparently, Ferdinand isn't bad, according to initial reviews... I think I was turned off a bit by the previews, but some people seem to have liked it. What say you guys, assuming anyone rushed out on opening weekend to see it?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think people assumed it was bad because it's hard to read a studio releasing a movie (especially one as generic looking and underhyped as Ferdinand) the same weekend as Star Wars as anything but an attempt to bury it

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sounds like it got Road Chip'd.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just got back from seeing Ferdinand. It was honestly really good and a nice way to end 2017's movies.

It was better than Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2...though every movie I've seen this year that WASN'T GotG2 was better than GotG2. That includes Justice League. The story on GotG2 was really loving bad and too jumpy. At least JL was fun.

Ferdinand was pretty drat fun and I'd put it up there with Captain Underpants on how fun it is.

The voice acting for some of the human characters was meh but the few human characters left were very good. John Cena is a pretty good voice actor and I'd love to see him voice act in other movies.

It's a "safe" movie to take kids too and there's some good jokes for adults. Also it had ABSOLUTELY ZERO bathroom jokes. It was so nice to not have those. That Sherlock Gnomes trailer in the beginning though...

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also it had ABSOLUTELY ZERO bathroom jokes. It was so nice to not have those.
No poo poo? It was weird how pretty much every animated film in 2016 had one, so that's good to hear.

(Seriously, even Zootopia ("FIIIIILTHY TOILET") and Moana ("I feel something warm! Wait...") got in on it. I guess I don't recall any such humor from Finding Dory or Kubo?)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
2017 was a good year for bad animation in that it gave us that amazing Willy Wonka x Tom & Jerry movie as well society as a whole being collectively revolted by Boss Baby.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

No poo poo? It was weird how pretty much every animated film in 2016 had one, so that's good to hear.

(Seriously, even Zootopia ("FIIIIILTHY TOILET") and Moana ("I feel something warm! Wait...") got in on it. I guess I don't recall any such humor from Finding Dory or Kubo?)

No poo poo. (haha) It was quite refreshing to not have to sit through it again.

Everyone in Ferdinand is pretty loving extra too. It's amazing how over-the-top it all is but still manages to be a decent movie.

Guy Mann posted:

2017 was a good year for bad animation in that it gave us that amazing Willy Wonka x Tom & Jerry movie as well society as a whole being collectively revolted by Boss Baby.

I forgot this existed. I tried REALLY hard to forget.

I'll probably watch it tonight along with the rest of Buddy Thunderstruck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

The voice acting for some of the human characters was meh but the few human characters left were very good. John Cena is a pretty good voice actor and I'd love to see him voice act in other movies.

Pretty disappointed Cena is in Travis Knight's Bumblebee movie but playing a human instead voicing a robot, preferably Bumblebee himself.