Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
oh yeah, first law school exam starts promptly tomorrow morning. Time to gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

MS Civil Engineering application is all done with the bows and everything. Waiting for final approval :toot:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Kawasaki Nun posted:

oh yeah, first law school exam starts promptly tomorrow morning. Time to gently caress

Not now I have a headache

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Hey there tryhard student vets: Princeton has just opened up applications for transfer students for the first time in like a million years
https://admission.princeton.edu/how-apply/transfer-students

One of you fuckers apply. loving do it. Now.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i'm going to do it

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hey there tryhard student vets: Princeton has just opened up applications for transfer students for the first time in like a million years
https://admission.princeton.edu/how-apply/transfer-students

One of you fuckers apply. loving do it. Now.

gently caress it I'll do it tonight.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

mods change my name posted:

i'm going to do it

you fuckin better m8

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i'm not really i cant move

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BigDave posted:

gently caress it I'll do it tonight.

Wait nevermind, I can't move to NJ.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
all pf the grades are in.

i did way better than i thought i would. 3.66 term GPA. if i can nail a 3.4 or better next semester i will graduate with a 3.0 career GPA (it's 2.93 right now). this was probably the busiest semester i will ever have so next semester should be easier.

not too bad considering my GPA was 1.96 with two Fs on my record going into the fall of 2015.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

boop the snoot posted:

all pf the grades are in.

i did way better than i thought i would. 3.66 term GPA. if i can nail a 3.4 or better next semester i will graduate with a 3.0 career GPA (it's 2.93 right now). this was probably the busiest semester i will ever have so next semester should be easier.

not too bad considering my GPA was 1.96 with two Fs on my record going into the fall of 2015.

Wassup good grades buddy. :respek:

3.2 GPA, 2.7 cumulative.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Had a rough night. Could sleep.

loving Finals.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I transferred into my current school with a crap GPA (something like a 1.9). Turns out there's an academic forgiveness policy that lets you have the Fs and Ds you transfer in with taken off your GPA calculation, provided you've been out of school for at least five calendar years. So I apply, even though I was only out of school for four years and nine months.

School comes back with "gotta be five years, that's a state policy, not ours." So I look up the policy: State policy is four years, my school is imposing a stricter standard by themselves.

So I take this poo poo to my advisor and he contacts the registrar to see if something can be worked out. A couple months later, he comes back with "well, I'm getting nowhere with the registrar. Maybe if you go talk to her yourself you'll get an immediate answer."

So I go talk to the registrar. "Five years is state policy," she says.

"State policy is four years."

"Well, school policy is five years."

"I'm at four years and nine months. What could I have possibly learned in that last three months that I hadn't already learned?"

"That's not my call to make."

So, frustrated, I thank her for her time and get up to leave. On my way out I ask if there's an appeals process. Well of course there is.

"Why wasn't information on the process included in the letter you sent denying my application?"

"Well, we've found that students tend to come ask after getting the letter."

So basically she said "because you didn't ask." So I go to my advisor and tell him about this.

"They didn't tell me there's an appeals process either."

So I went to the dean of students and complained about the registrar deliberately stonewalling me and my advisor. As a result of my complaint, the registrar was given an award at the end of the year for outstanding service for the university.

Anyway, my appeal was approved and my GPA shot up from "crap" to "not terrible." The whole process with the academic forgiveness took so long that it didn't kick in until the beginning of my second semester at this school. Which means I received two letters during the break: One congratulating me for making Dean's List and one warning me that I was on academic probation.

Anyway, grades got released this morning. I kind of phoned this semester in and half-assed everything.

Straight As. I, uh, don't really know how to feel about that.

My cumulative GPA is now a 2.98, I might actually break 3.0.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I hate your school for you McNally.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I wish my undergrad GPA was just slightly better so I don't have to take the stupid GRE next month.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
In case anyone was wondering UCONN is also a shitshow degree mill.

All student complaints are either immediately agreed with and you're grade gets bumped up, or immediately denied if it involves the school getting any less money from you.

The engineering program is also tanking as it is entirely an insular research organization at the graduate level, and the undergraduate program has been stripped down to be nearly lab and practical free, focusing on the mathematics of the research side alone.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

lightpole posted:

I hate your school for you McNally.

Don't get me wrong, my school is great. But faculty and students all agree: the administration is awful.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

I wish my undergrad GPA was just slightly better so I don't have to take the stupid GRE next month.

It's not that bad. I managed it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My school apparently is big for business now (undergrad wise)?

I hate those tests where you feel like everything was too easy. Because it always comes back with a lot of red on it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Soulex posted:

My school apparently is big for business now (undergrad wise)?

I hate those tests where you feel like everything was too easy. Because it always comes back with a lot of red on it.

This was the case in my economics class this semester. Nailed every exam but never made better than a C+.

Still got a B though.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Soulex posted:

Oh you must be talking about my first statistics exam, one of the two or three that were below a 70!

I was one of the outliers due to not being in school for over 10 years and never having taken a statistics class. Managed a B in the end, holy gently caress did I have to work for it though. I think half my study hours went there.

Edit: The YouTube videos I watched to try and catch up always opened with stuff like "Statistics is hard, you're still a great, wonderful and intelligent person, don't kill yourself"

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 19, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

lightpole posted:

Edit: The YouTube videos I watched to try and catch up always opened with stuff like "Statistics is hard, you're still a great, wonderful and intelligent person, don't kill yourself"

:lol:

Stats is hard, goddamn.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i somehow or another was able to get stats out of the way in my first semester without any pre-reqs. i had to take the pre-req the next semester, but i was happy to have stats out of the way as early as possible.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I finally got my grades from my summer study abroad (2 months of language classes in Germany). They gave me 12 credits and an A grade which is a massive pad on my GPA; I went from a 3.29 to a 3.51 on my transfer GPA. Owns.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

God drat it. I've hobbled myself getting proof of vaccination for OSU. They accepted the big list from my old pediatrician but rejected varicella since just having a note from your doctor saying you had it isn't good enough, they need antibody titers. Also rejected my TDAP since I haven't had a tetanus booster in ten years. Dug up a titer report the army did on me in 2008 that thankfully had a positive varicella titer, and the local CVS does vaccinations on demand. They were out of TD, so I get TDAP instead and woke up this morning with a lovely amount of swelling and pain in my feet. Then I open my inbox and see an e-mail from the school MD informing me that no, I do not need proof of vaccinations because I am a distance learner. :argh:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

I finally got my grades from my summer study abroad (2 months of language classes in Germany). They gave me 12 credits and an A grade which is a massive pad on my GPA; I went from a 3.29 to a 3.51 on my transfer GPA. Owns.

I really wish I could do this for Italian. Voc Rehab pretty much laughed at me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
They have a pretty big semester abroad program here and it’s such an easy GPA boost. And you still get the GI bill but all of your expenses are taken care of in tuition so you just pocket the stipend.

If I didn’t have Monty I would definitely do it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

They have a pretty big semester abroad program here and it’s such an easy GPA boost. And you still get the GI bill but all of your expenses are taken care of in tuition so you just pocket the stipend.

If I didn’t have Monty I would definitely do it.

Yeah my school too. I’m sad because I’d have to leave my family or take them with.

Especially since one of the places is Florence and I have family there. I love Florence.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Boon posted:

:lol:

Stats is hard, goddamn.

It wasn't actually that hard, I just kinda made stupid mental mistakes while freaking out on my first real midterm in 10 years. The main problem was getting generally correct stats language into the extremely specific language the professor wanted. The math parts pretty easy otherwise, there's nothing really complicated there. The MBA only students took an easier version and completely skipped over ANOVA.

I was looking at doing a semester abroad. It would have to be the fall semester otherwise I will be a hosed up quarter away from 2 masters missing a number of winter/spring classes. I need to find an engineering program with a data analytics class and some additive manufacturing/materials type poo poo.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I finished undergrad with a 3.6

That's not relevant to anything I just wanted to gloat a lil

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Deathy McDeath posted:

I finished undergrad with a 3.6

That's not relevant to anything I just wanted to gloat a lil

A fine gloat. Now grab your tassle and skip graduation.

e: Also final approval achieved. Officially a grad student and will be able to thoroughly max out my GI bennies :toot:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Graduated back in may so I already went to graduation

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

A fine gloat. Now grab your tassle and skip graduation.

e: Also final approval achieved. Officially a grad student and will be able to thoroughly max out my GI bennies :toot:

Nice. I’m right behind you. Like a year and a half but still.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/artsci/rotc/cadets/cadences/yellow_bird.html

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Soulex posted:

Nice. I’m right behind you. Like a year and a half but still.

Hopefully I can make a bunch of money this year and just take next year off mostly, finish the MS and get my PE license.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

:allbuttons:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
We sung the last verse of that a lot in A school as part of a different cadence.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

gently caress yes, C+ on the two hardest classes I’ve taken so far. Means I’m off academic probation. Thank gently caress.

I at least have an A and a B in my others.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Soulex posted:

gently caress yes, C+ on the two hardest classes I’ve taken so far. Means I’m off academic probation. Thank gently caress.

I at least have an A and a B in my others.

My school has straight up told me that I can't get off probation, that it's indefinite until I graduate.

I looked up the regulations, and nope you can get off of it if your cumulative GPA is over 2.5.

I talked to financial aid, they tell me it's up to Records & Admin. Records says it's Financial Aids territory.

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, I was confused. My GPA is 2.7 and the reason I was on academic probation was having a semester fall below 2.0. Had to do a bunch of other poo poo.

That’s weird they won’t let you off.