Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Blue flame ghost rider chariots are baller.

This is gonna make the southlands a lot more interesting.

I hope Empire, Brettonia, and vampire counts get quests involving Tomb Kings.

In fact I hope they update some of the older quests to allow you to go up against a greater variety of races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Third World Reggin posted:

I am ready for sand necrons

Mods??

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Oh god this means all the Vamp corruption will gently caress off from Southlands.

It might be actually interesting to rampage around there now!

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

pictured here

necrons fighting the old ones

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
That Scorpion stab moment would have been perfect for a Wilhelm scream.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I guess people have figured out the starting positions from Steam Pictures:

Settra: Khemri

Arkhan: Araby

Khalida: Lustria

Khatep: Naggarond.

Khalida starting in Lustria instead of Lamia is the biggest surprise. I guess it lets her start killing Vampires right away and then go take back her homeland later.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

madmac posted:

Khalida starting in Lustria instead of Lamia is the biggest surprise. I guess it lets her start killing Vampires right away and then go take back her homeland later.

I knew they needed to use those desert islands south of Teclis for something

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I was pretty ambivalent about Tomb Kings.

Was.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

As someone not as up to date on WHF lore, how will the Tomb Kings be different from the Vampire undead already in game? Are their units that much different?

The trailer should give you kind of an idea. Tomb Kings are a more well rounded army than VC and have options on compositions/unit selection similar to the Empire or a generic Total War Rome faction (including archers and catapults and giant skeleton archers with their giant bows that they fire like a ballista). Like VC, the basic infantry is kind of rubbish, with significant amounts of killing power coming from their monsters. VC monsters will have an edge on speed and wider access to built in regeneration, expect TK monsters to have the edge in defensive power. TK magic will probably not be as killy as VC, and will wind up probably being more buff/debuff in nature (i.e. no Winds of Death to flatten whole battle lines), and VC lords probably won't be as dominant as melee combatants compared to vampires, but will make up for it by how well they'll buff up their line infantry and their ability to use ranged combat to their advantage.

Khalida on the Tabletop gave out mad buffs to their skeleton archers and made them some of the most cost effective archer blocks in the game. They had poo poo ballistic skill, but the enemy couldn't take cover saves and the attacks were poisoned (iirc). Settra is going to be probably super chariot focused and will probably be like the Ur-Surtha-Ek doing doughnuts through the enemy line with his posse. I don't remember much about the other two other than Arkhan being a bad guy working to bring Nagash back. I would expect one of them to be Liche Priest/Wizard focused and the last one to be all about the big monsters.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 19, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So! Many! Skulls! :allears:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

madmac posted:

I guess people have figured out the starting positions from Steam Pictures:

Settra: Khemri

Arkhan: Araby

Khalida: Lustria

Khatep: Naggarond.

RIP Araby DLC

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
On the one hand, nobody wants to play Khatep. On the other hand, I really can't wait to roll over some smug edgelords. Choices.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm going to enjoy smashing these nerds and taking their dusty old relics.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

I'm going to enjoy smashing these nerds and taking their dusty old relics.

Y...you fiend!

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Well with the explanations and then the trailer I am pumped for Tomb Kings, all those models look gorgeous too with all the detail. With that said what races are left to expand with/whats left for warhammer 3? Chaos Dwarfs and like Ogres? I never knew as much about Fantasy as I did 40k.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Night10194 posted:

Tomb Kings are absolutely one of the coolest ideas in Hams' setting.

Free-willed regal undead who aren't necessarily bad guys at all and just want you off their (incredibly well-built) lawn rule

IIRC only the mummies are really free-willed, the skeletons don't have all of their mental faculties intact as their bodies weren't preserved as well. The skeletons are still a volunteer force of sorts, as I understand that they are comprised of soldiers who thought that joining an immortal legion that would serve their king and defend their empire until the end of time would be cool.

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Well with the explanations and then the trailer I am pumped for Tomb Kings, all those models look gorgeous too with all the detail. With that said what races are left to expand with/whats left for warhammer 3? Chaos Dwarfs and like Ogres? I never knew as much about Fantasy as I did 40k.

Dwarfs, Ogres and Demons, but CA has already shown that they're willing to implement armies that never existed in WHFB, so who knows what we'll end up with down the line.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 19, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hoping they have their units actually talk Unlike Vampire count versions that are mere puppets. It'll also be interesting to see them specifically built toward loving over vampire factions (Lore of light, archers, catapults)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just saw the announcement, and this might be the first race pack I buy for the Warhammer games (Norsca don't count).

Also I really like the cinematography in that trailer; those Dark Elves just got the Mummy'd

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Pretty pleased with the roster we've seen so far, pleasantly surprised to see Tomb Scorpions, Necrosphinxes, Sepulchral Stalkers and Carrion all in, I thought a few of those would get cut, and the Hierotitan is a big surprise. No sign of bone giants (melee or bow variants) or bow ushabti though which is a shame if they're missing. Still beyond hyped for this.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

So is Arkhan going to have a fairly standard TK lineup or does anyone think CA will give him a Rogue Army style hybrid roster combining VC and TK units? My understanding is that he cleaves closer to the VC due to Nagash and such, would have been a cool gimmick if he worked like that, especially given his campaign bonus linked to VC corruption.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

No sign of bone giants (melee or bow variants) or bow ushabti though which is a shame if they're missing. Still beyond hyped for this.

Bow Ushabti are visible in the unit cards in one of the Battle screenshots on the DLC’s steam page.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

KazigluBey posted:

So is Arkhan going to have a fairly standard TK lineup or does anyone think CA will give him a Rogue Army style hybrid roster combining VC and TK units? My understanding is that he cleaves closer to the VC due to Nagash and such, would have been a cool gimmick if he worked like that, especially given his campaign bonus linked to VC corruption.

I reckon he'll have a pretty standard TK roster but spread Vampiric Corruption the same way Morathi spreads Chaos.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'm so glad total war exists because it satiates my craving to buy an actual warhammer army and saves me thousands of dollars and hours.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

crime fighting hog posted:

I'm so glad total war exists because it satiates my craving to buy an actual warhammer army and saves me thousands of dollars and hours.

Shhhhh, Games Workshop will hear you.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
If you didn't cackle maniacally when that giant mummy doom lasered those elves then something's wrong with you.

Also all they need in now is Neferata and her Lahmian version of vampires and the overblown undead dick waving contest will be complete. Setting aside the Strigoi nation (Which is actually in the game but needs a unique unit roster.), the literal vampire pirate faction that keeps getting teased, and the Necrarchs that's pretty much all of the active groups on that side of things.

Kind of surprised she isn't going in alongside Khalida, actually. They're pretty much arch-enemies at this point in the timeline and one of them loving with the other is a great excuse for Khalida to not be sitting around Lamia at the start of the game.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 19, 2017

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

crime fighting hog posted:

That's doubly good since none of these armies, nor the world, exist in this state any longer.

Is AoS still a steaming pile of crap? I haven't played, or seen anyone play it, since a couple months after release.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Devorum posted:

That's doubly good since none of these armies, nor the world, exist in this state any longer.

Is AoS still a steaming pile of crap? I haven't played, or seen anyone play it, since a couple months after release.

The setting is boring as poo poo but my understanding is that the actual game is great now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

:sbahj:

preordered

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

The setting is boring as poo poo but my understanding is that the actual game is great now.

They're doing a lot of work lately to make the setting less bad as well. 8th edition of 40k releasing ended up pulling me away from an attempt to buy into AoS but I still hear some pretty positive things about the rules

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I hear the ruleset is actually pretty great but I really don't care because the setting is too-abstracted crap and I don't like most of their new model lines anyway.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mordja posted:

Yeah I hear the ruleset is actually pretty great but I really don't care because the setting is too-abstracted crap and I don't like most of their new model lines anyway.

Too many of the new models looked like they were whipped up in 20 minutes in CAD with the symmetry function on. Especially the Dwarves Firehair Goldbeard Axehordes.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I was frankly never a fan of Warhammer Fantasy before playing this game and even as somebody in the target demographic for GW I'm still not a big fan of a lot of the old fantasy range. That being said, after playing Total:Warhammer I've actually sort of fallen in love with this old setting and am saddened that it was killed off. Based off of some unofficial comments from GW I'm pretty sure that they consider killing the Old World to be a mistake as well- the new management seems to have a much better idea of how to run things than the guy that presided over the AoS release. It's particularly interesting to me that they're going to be releasing a new pen and paper RPG set in the old world, which does sort of make me wonder if they're testing the waters a bit.

They're in a tough spot at this point and it's really difficult to say what the "right" move is. They've done a lot of work to start to flesh out the Order factions, having them starting to settle in a bunch of city-states that seem fairly neat. There's even pretty decent book series called the Eight Lamentations that again really helps to start fleshing things out. They're still a long way from the depth that the original setting had though and I don't know that the new stuff has the same sort of potential.

At the end of the day I don't think it's impossible that we might see a sort of soft re-launch of the old Warhammer Fantasy setting. Stuff like Total:Warhammer and that new certainly show that there's at least some sort of interest on both the consumer and production side but only time will tell if it's sufficient for them to make the necessary investment.

Sorry for anybody that doesn't give a poo poo about this stuff. I'm just really involved with GW on the 40k side and have been watching how they're doing stuff with AoS pretty carefully because, again, as a result of this Total War game I'm a huge fan of The Old World.

Devorum posted:

Too many of the new models looked like they were whipped up in 20 minutes in CAD with the symmetry function on. Especially the Dwarves Firehair Goldbeard Axehordes.

The sky Dwarfs have some pretty cool kits at least (some misses as well though, to be sure) and the Sylvaneth are objectively rad as hell. The Stormcast are sort of a mixed bag but steadily improving with the new releases.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 19, 2017

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
The problem with the Old World setting is that there's little you can actually do with it that doesn't amount to blowing it all up anyway. 40k and AOS give them an infinite canvas which can accommodate new factions, new characters and an illusion of change without invalidating existing models and lore.

Whereas with the Old World, the map is full and the world is fragile. You can either keep rephrasing the status quo as it's existed since something like 1992 or you can start killing of characters, destroying factions and advancing the world's technology, at which point you might as well nuke it and publish AOS.

The frozen nature of the setting also undermines the characters, because you have all these supervillians (Malekith/Archaon/Manfred etc) who can't be allowed to win or change the status quo and so become jokes. Grogs complain ad nauseam about the old storm of chaos campaign being a wet fart, but that's what you get for fluff when you can't invalidate popular models and the world is to small to change.

This is all stuff that Total Warhammer really brings home, because it lets you see what happens to the world when time is allowed to advance.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ZeusJupitar posted:

The problem with the Old World setting is that there's little you can actually do with it that doesn't amount to blowing it all up anyway. 40k and AOS give them an infinite canvas which can accommodate new factions, new characters and an illusion of change without invalidating existing models and lore.

Whereas with the Old World, the map is full and the world is fragile. You can either keep rephrasing the status quo as it's existed since something like 1992 or you can start killing of characters, destroying factions and advancing the world's technology, at which point you might as well nuke it and publish AOS.

The frozen nature of the setting also undermines the characters, because you have all these supervillians (Malekith/Archaon/Manfred etc) who can't be allowed to win or change the status quo and so become jokes. Grogs complain ad nauseam about the old storm of chaos campaign being a wet fart, but that's what you get for fluff when you can't invalidate popular models and the world is to small to change.

This is all stuff that Total Warhammer really brings home, because it lets you see what happens to the world when time is allowed to advance.

They had plenty of things they could do, though?

Like, Age of Sigmar was originally billed on the idea that it would move the setting ahead. And just look at the plot developments they made! Vlad is no longer at war with the empire and has joined the Empire after being acknowledged as the rightful elector count of Sylvania! Kislev is just about gone and may need to join the empire just to survive! Nagash is back, and to literally no one's surprise Settra does not. loving. kneel. (Also he got blown the gently caress up by Nagash, which means that the cold war among the Tomb Kings is going to go hot very quickly when Nagash goes down.).

poo poo, they even laid the groundwork for new villains and new over the top conflicts. Balthasar Gelt turned to necromancy and basically betrayed the empire/sided with Vlad in the desperate hope of staving off the apocalypse. The elves united under a still batshit crazy and elf supremacist oriented Malekith and between their two merged empires basically controlled like half the world. Isabella was forcibly turned to Chaos as an anti-undead weapon by Nurgle. Who apparently woke the gently caress up and realized that having a large number of undead beings in the world pretty much fucks up Chaos's plans to destroy it. Arkhan the Black betrayed Settra to work for Nagash. Which just about made Settra magic up the skeleton version of an embolism out of sheer incandescent rage.

They had plenty of opportunities to do a huge shake up of the setting and move things along. But instead they went with "Mannfred pulls a Starscream again; rocks fall and everyone dies" so they could market Ground Marines to people.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 19, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The first two books of the End Times were mostly fine and would have been a good base for moving the world forward. I mean, that's what we thought it was all about. A tweaking of the setting as a lead-up to 9th edition. Some legacy characters were killed off, Nagash and Vlad were brought back, etc. I was actually excited about what 9th edition would bring and was onboard with Nagash being the new Big Bad. It was a nice change from the usual chaos invasions.

WHFB was entirely salvageable and what really killed it wasn't the setting. It was 8th edition's focus on magic, monsters, and huge blocks of infantry. Not only were you incentivized to run blocks of 40+ models, they also jacked up the prices so you'd end up spending $200 to run 40 Witch Elves. Cavalry, in particular, was mostly invalidated and only monstrous cavalry like demigryph knights or mournfang cavalry was worth taking. 8th also lacked real support. It was like 8-9 months after its release before the first army book showed up. Just before the end it looked like they were supporting the game again with some solid supplements and army books, but then the End Times happened and here we are.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I don't think they had "painted themselves into a corner" with the Old World. They had to be willing to make changes, to have winners and losers. Instead, they tore it all down. That's their prerogative, but I think their failure here was a simple lack of vision and a belief that their business issues were caused by their fiction. If nothing else, I think Total War's success puts paid to that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ZeusJupitar posted:

No offense, but this is kind of bullshit faffery.

Here are a list of things they could have done to "advance the setting" while also keeping the Old World alive. Most are things the fanbase was begging for before the End Times, and fit with what they are currently doing with WH40K.

- Dark Elf Civil War, Malekith finally turns on Morathi. Potentially start humanizing Malekith a bit more.

- One of the Twins dies. Other changes personality significantly. Death of Finubar.

- Dark Elves finally make landing on Ulthuan. Start to establish themselves.

- Dwarfs reclaim a major Hold/Age of Reckoning let's them start expanding into the Badlands a bit.

- Kislev falls completely, becomes a new bastion of Chaos.

- Nagash returns, civil war in Nekhara, Tomb Kings officially become an Order race.

- Expansion into Cathay/Ind/Nippon. More details on these factions.

If we want to get into more "extreme" stuff to deal with factions that didn't sell at all ( Bret and TK ), merge the Brets/WElves. They finally learned the Lady was Lilith and now the Wood Elves have some of the more liked Bret units. Then merge TK and VC, whoops Nagash won and now the TK serve him across the world. People would throw fits, but at least the universe would survive and move forward.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They could've also actually done something with the Old Ones so that the Lizardmen's entire role in the plot wasn't 'mystery box, sitting off to the side, not participating'.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Sinteres posted:

RIP Araby DLC

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of crazy expensive army could I run in the empire campaign? I'm thinking 8 infantry, 4 demi's, a couple gunners backing a steam tank in the center, two luminarks to snipe generals and other vip's, but what about the last two slots? I'd like more arty, but maybe a hero or something instead? A couple rockets? More luminarks?