Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy

catlord posted:

You know, sometimes I read this thread and for one reason or another don't want to put too much effort into it and I'll skim or skip some of the more wordy comics. Unfortunately, because of this, at some point I completely lost the thread on Skippy. What is going on there?

Skippy's trying to organize the rest of the town against a kid mafia. And now, let us pray. (October 22, 1930)

Peanuts (December 29, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean

"Didn't you and Les used to have kids?"
"(sign) I don't even know anymore, blondie..."

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (January 16-17, 1931)

Thimble Theater (July 11, 1931)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Thirteen is way too old to realize your parents were once teenagers too

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Calaveron posted:

Haven't read Rip Haywire in a while. S the comic is now a prototypical Lockhorns where Rip openly expresses his resentment and contempt at having to take care of their child?
For now, that's kind of the deal. I don't think they'll stick with things as they are for too long though. It seems to be leading somewhere.

Selachian posted:

There's a gang called the Jacketeers, led by a tough kid named Spumone, who are trying to take over Skippy's street, and Skippy is putting together his own group, the Revolkalutionists, to fight them. It's gone on that way for quite a while and is starting to drag, frankly.
Yeah there's a lot of panels with a ton of words and I'm having trouble getting into what Skippy is doing now. I imagine at the time it was very relevant but it's been losing me.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Maybe you would draw less attention if you didn't look like a 60s Batman villain.

Wilbur Kelrast

This totally not-creepy behavior is sure to win her back!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

That's cute.

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

"Remember, the safe word is 'sassafras'."

9 Chickweed Lane

I see that Amos and his in-laws are getting along nicely.

Pibgorn

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (May 19-20, 1986)

:staredog:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

FFFFfffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckk you

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Skippy's trying to organize the rest of the town against a kid mafia. And now, let us pray. (October 22, 1930)

Skippy is always a real cool time capsule imo. All this stuff about having to unite with the kids on the other side of the street even though they go to the wrong Sunday school reminds me of this short with Sinatra from right after World War II, though this is specifically about Jews. Skippy's neighborhood is probably a real hodgepodge of squareheads and wops and pollacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpO6mpYvyqQ

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

Selachian posted:

There's a gang called the Jacketeers, led by a tough kid named Spumone, who are trying to take over Skippy's street, and Skippy is putting together his own group, the Revolkalutionists, to fight them. It's gone on that way for quite a while and is starting to drag, frankly.

Ah, ok. Skippy's really neat, but some of those huge text walls can be... exhausting.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

These loving kids are the worst.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The idea of a middle aged woman saying " bunnykins" straight up turns my stomach.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

The idea of a middle aged woman saying "bunnykins" straight up turns my stomach.

I dislike pretty much everyone in Luann, but come on, dude, let people be lovey-dovey. Pet names are nice.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I know this was from about 4-5 pages ago but I'm catching up on the thread.

About traditional wedding gifts and stuff, my wife and I celebrated 5 years a few months back. As a minor bit of backstory, I take off my wedding ring every night before bed and put it back on in the morning because I have trouble falling asleep in it for whatever bizarre reason.

So, 5th anniversary being the "Wood" anniversary, my wife got me this:

(arguably :nws:) https://smile.amazon.com/Pipik-Ring-Valentine-Jewelry-Organizer-Bachelorette/dp/B01B16RYSC

It is amazing.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Selachian posted:

It's all an attack on Al Capone. At this point in his life Percy Crosby had begun to see himself as a self-styled crusader (he was virulently against Communism and after initially supporting FDR's first Presidential election, turned on Roosevelt for what he saw as unmitigated power grabs and not doing enough about Prohibition). The New Republic called him the "Mad Patriot" and when newspapers wouldn't print his editorials, he submitted them as paid ads. He refused to draw humorous cartoons for Life unless they ran his political cartoons as well. And he incorporated his causes into his comic strip. From Jerry Robinson's Skippy and Percy Crosby: The life and work of a great American cartoonist:

quote:

In an ad published simultaneously in the New York World and the Washington Times, Crosby attacked the Chicago racketeer: "You cannot salute your flag with a clear conscience until Al Capone is knocked off the throne erected by the Anti-Saloon League. I ... refuse to pay homage to this Chicago monarch. He has neither enough money nor enough lead to make me change my mind. By this plurality of one vote, I make myself the leader opposing the existing gunman autocracy in the United States." ... The crusading cartoonist was soon invited to give his views at a banquet of the Universal Fellowship Foundation in Chicago. Crosby explained in his speech that he was merely carrying on the campaign he had waged in his strip for three months.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Garfield Classic (May 19-20, 1986)

This storyline is still easily my favourite thing Garfield ever did.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
:neckbeard:

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Drakyn posted:

This storyline is still easily my favourite thing Garfield ever did.

It's great! It's insanely stupid and Jim Davis leans into it fully. It's just nonsense and it defies comic strip tradition of the time by not getting resolved by Sunday (I actually thought that little fakeout on 5/18/1986 was smart).

"Let's kill her."

"Shut up, Garfield."

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street goes back to basics today

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Darthemed posted:

Today's Garf

This is amazing.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm calling that as Odies first words.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I guess if you're a drunken pill popper it makes sense to think that a wolfman would be interested in playing with a ball of string.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ignoring the string thing, what the gently caress is garlic repellent? It's garlic, it doesn't have the faculties to a) understand danger, or a sense of unwantedness, and 2) the ability to flee from whatever is supposed to 'repel' it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, it's almost like Nancy is a poo poo comic.

Speaking of!

The Dinette Set is shopping for value.

Working Daze is lost in the crowd.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a secret to everyone.

e: I wonder how close to a circle the Venn diagram is of "unironic Working Daze fans" and "Ready Player One fans" is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Wilbur Kelrast
It's times like these that make you glad you bother to keep reading Mary Worth.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My favorite strip in this thread right now is definitely old Popeye, drat it's good. And I can't believe Mary Worth is interesting.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 21, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 21, 1996)

Garfield Classic (May 21, 1986)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Congratulations to Sandwiches McCombover on his new personality trait of "stalker"

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Catchin' up on the thread.

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

I don't think I've seen this mentioned, but this seems like a really close reference to an actual incident which happened in London a few months ago

FrumpleOrz posted:

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Is there a joke besides this guy is big, hairy, and presumably not Anglo Saxon, and therefore is discriminated against at work?

Indolent Bastard posted:

I read it as saving her from rape/gets to kill her himself as the "joke".

The thing is, that sort of arithmetic isn't new, it's a staple of colonial literature. My belief is that the joke is that he shot their great aunt, rather than their grandmother. So it's an infidelity joke.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tina's Groove Classic (May 21, 2006)

Buni

Sninja!

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

You know, I think this comic is really cute, and I like it a lot, but the humans having the same unbroken green voids for eyes that the cats have is sort of off-putting for some reason.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

SpacePig posted:

You know, I think this comic is really cute, and I like it a lot, but the humans having the same unbroken green voids for eyes that the cats have is sort of off-putting for some reason.

I agree. I like this comic but whenever the humans are involved it just gets cloyingly saccharine.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is there a joke besides this guy is big, hairy, and presumably not Anglo Saxon, and therefore is discriminated against at work?

Alright, I stepped back for a bit and shelved my sarcastic answer.

You do need to address your " seeing racism in everything" issue though.

The Joke is thus: Dude B does not fit the stereotype of an office worker. He is large, tall, and , presumably, muscled.
Whether Dude B is doing a poor job, or they are just uncomfortable having a Chad around doesn't matter.

The Boss is saying " Mr Gridley doesn't feel you fit in" because The Boss is apprehensive of Dude B and wishes to deflect any sort of anger or resentment onto someone else.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

You do need to address your " seeing racism in everything" issue though.

Racism is everywhere, dude. It's in the air we breathe, the water we drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Johnny Aztec posted:

The Joke is thus: Dude B does not fit the stereotype of an office worker. He is large, tall, and , presumably, muscled.
Whether Dude B is doing a poor job, or they are just uncomfortable having a Chad around doesn't matter.

The Boss is saying " Mr Gridley doesn't feel you fit in" because The Boss is apprehensive of Dude B and wishes to deflect any sort of anger or resentment onto someone else.

I thought the joke was that the guy physically did not fit in the office, since it looks like he only just barely fits between the desk and the door.

• Locked thread