Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010
I’ve played with the different tax calculators and I can’t figure out if it’s good for me or not.
I’ve had anything from my tax bill going down 4600 a year to paying out an extra 300. I kind of wish I had time to sit down and read the thing in full, I bet it’s a loving disaster.

Serious question, what happens when we have a major economic collapse again? Like we are on track for the housing bubble to burst sometime between 2019 and 2021 and I would bet that the student loan bubble won’t be far behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

:psyduck:

It's like while ENRON was going down in flames and Ebbers' wife tearfully telling people what a horrible toll the proceedings have taken and how he's down to his last few million

E: don't remember if that was fake or not but it's the sticking part of the story

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bengy81 posted:

I kind of wish I had time to sit down and read the thing in full.

You'd be the first

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

what are you arguing here? that other countries shouldn't be able to buy ads on facebook?

Yes, other countries buying political adds in another countries election is interfering with their elections

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

post the henry gif.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

bengy81 posted:

Serious question, what happens when we have a major economic collapse again? Like we are on track for the housing bubble to burst sometime between 2019 and 2021 and I would bet that the student loan bubble won’t be far behind.

The student loan bubble is going to burst in that 2020 region too. House of cards comes tumbling down and the world economy is going to tank with it.

When the housing bubble popped you had whole factories shutting down in china whichever day their last purchase order was completed. Doors shuttered, thousands of employees unemployed.

Except this time there won't be a bail out, so welcome to 1929. Luckily thanks to accelerationism this depression will also accelerate away and be deep but pass sooner (I hope)

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Lol I think I know maybe 4 people who fit any of these criteria. They’re all near retirement age ex-military with rental income from houses they kept after being moved from base to base. I forget the acronym but it was something like permanent change of duty or something. Rent the house to other military folk, buy at next base, rinse & repeat.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm sorry, my four children who are all named Lakyn, we're barely skating by on $650k a year. With this tax hike we might have to consider sending you... to public school.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
What exactly does the student loan bubble bursting mean? I know there's a staggering amount of student loan debt in the country (I have a bunch myself!) but how exactly does that bubble burst? Just a critical mass of people not being able to pay back their loans which takes down the financial institutions that they owe? Or does it refer to something happening on the lenders' end?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My brother's wife is getting demoted so now they're worried about still being able to afford their 4500 sqft home and 4k/mo for private Christian schooling. They don't have much in savings because "these taxes are killing us" and not you know them trying to pretend they're millionaires.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My brother's wife is getting demoted so now they're worried about still being able to afford their 4500 sqft home and 4k/mo for private Christian schooling. They don't have much in savings because "these taxes are killing us" and not you know them trying to pretend they're millionaires.

It's candles all the way up.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
just for reference, yes these are the same family members that bitch about welfare queens while working for defense contractors. they also wont ever shut the gently caress up about Dave Ramsey.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Some states have resorted to pulling professional licences in order to motivate people to repay their student loans

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/15/podcasts/the-daily/student-loan-debt-licenses.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fthe-daily

When your workforce becomes insolvent due to debt, that debt includes student loans, medical bills, car loans, and mortgages. Now a society built on huge debt to income ratios suddenly cannot pay even interest payments. Then the lending institutions cannot pay the interest payments on their credit lines. And upwards and upwards.

The student loan program is especially bad because it mostly got pulled to the federal level in order to increase short term federal revenue, but because of a multitude of factors colleges have been charging rapidly inflating tuition rates so now people are taking out federal student loans that they wont be able to repay for decades.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lmao @ 4k month private school. Just hire a personal teacher to homeschool them jesus christ

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Paul Ryan is on the Senate floor just blatantly lying about this bill, it's something

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

If our generation really wanted to go buckwild we could have mass demonstrations by refusing to repay any student loans.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

shyduck posted:

Paul Ryan is on the Senate floor just blatantly lying about this bill, it's something
This is a guy who spent college trying to figure out how to kill Medicare. He's not a normal person.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

This is a guy who spent college trying to figure out how to kill Medicare. He's not a normal person.

You can tell he's a poo poo student, too, because look at how bad he's doing at killing Medicare and he's got all of the advantages

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I never understood where they got those numbers from.
Am I suppose to feel sorry for any of those people?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Going to far with Henry at the end

bengy81
May 8, 2010

my kinda ape posted:

What exactly does the student loan bubble bursting mean? I know there's a staggering amount of student loan debt in the country (I have a bunch myself!) but how exactly does that bubble burst? Just a critical mass of people not being able to pay back their loans which takes down the financial institutions that they owe? Or does it refer to something happening on the lenders' end?

I had a wall of rambling text but it wasn’t very coherent. So here is the tl;dr:

Basically there are a lot of potential scenarios, the most likely ones involve banks that issued private student loans (not federally backed) absolutely losing their asses, like the 2008 crash, but not getting bailed out. Possibly see a lot of for profit schools go under and maybe some non profits too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Going to far with Henry at the end

The revolution would never harm a Corgi.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LingcodKilla posted:

I never understood where they got those numbers from.
Am I suppose to feel sorry for any of those people?

This is the "middle class" that republicans are claiming to target. The truth is they're 1%ers that all the broke republicans dream they should be.

The median income in this loving country is still hovering around $50k. The vast majority of households in this nation are working on less than $80k/year.

If you do not have some sort of significant business income this tax bill is almost certainly raising your taxes.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 19, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

just for reference, yes these are the same family members that bitch about welfare queens while working for defense contractors. they also wont ever shut the gently caress up about Dave Ramsey.
the keeping up with the joneses stuff is killing us.

also people can justify anything because of their kids. well, we need the 4k/mo school because of the kids. we need the big home because the kids. while in reality most kids in the world don't live in 4500 sqft homes and go to 4k/mo private schools and it's not like their lives are less dignified because of it.

but the kids!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh drat. I make only 45k with three dependents.

I truly am uh... a temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i still wanna know how the dude who made 60k thought he was flush and sunk 40g into his 401k. where in america is that possible

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Waroduce posted:

i still wanna know how the dude who made 60k thought he was flush and sunk 40g into his 401k. where in america is that possible

maybe if you live with your parents still IDK otherwise

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I went to a tax funded public school and can guarantee you I got a better education than some kid who went to a $4k a month Christian school.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

I went to a tax funded public school and can guarantee you I got a better education than some kid who went to a $4k a month Christian school.

I think the point of those schools is exactly that. You don't need smart people to believe in a ghost loving a virgin.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
numbers are great and all but let me tell you, cost of living is way more important

i got a friend who makes 60K and is getting raises, which is already good, but he is in rural missouri where cost of living is super dirt cheap

I got two friends in the dc area who can barely live on 50K because of cost of living and we just laugh about that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I thought you could only sink $19k/year into a 401k

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

boop the snoot posted:

eh, i don't think buying ads in a capitalist society can be considered interference. anybody can buy ads on facebook and i don't think there are any laws against a foreign government buying ads backing a candidate unless someone in the US put them up to it... maybe?

I'm pretty OK with foreign states buying ads like

"See the sights of beautiful and historic St. Peterburg!"
- The Federal Agency for Tourism of the Russian Federation

I would be happy to see legislation that bans under penalty of law the following:

"Vote Jill Stein!"
-People for Progress (funded with laundered back-channel Russian state money)

bengy81
May 8, 2010
House got their 218 votes on the tax bill so now it’s on to the Senate for a vote tonight!

It’s a Christmas miracle!

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Has anybody ever volunteered for a political campaign? I've finally had enough and I actually want to do something, but I'm sure what any of it really entails or where to start.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shyduck posted:

Has anybody ever volunteered for a political campaign? I've finally had enough and I actually want to do something, but I'm sure what any of it really entails or where to start.

The first thing to do is to attend the next meeting of your county party. The volunteer efforts are typically coordinated at that level (including phone banks, get out the vote, and door knocking), even for individual campaigns or campaigns in other states (if your county is solidly blue, for example, they state may ask the county party for help in other more competitive races or even in other states all together). You can also contact a candidate's campaign directly, but at this stage of the game (pre-primary) you'll have more luck going through the party itself since the candidates won't have begun major volunteer operations yet.

Some PACs also provide volunteer opportunities, and there's always your local chapter of a more general liberal organization like Indivisible.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

shyduck posted:

Yep. Go to your local campaign office, say you want to volunteer, let them know your availability. Whether it's canvassing, or putting pamphlets on doorknobs, they'll find a use for you.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

shyduck posted:

I have. Contact the county office of whichever party you want to volunteer for or the candidate directly.

I've gotten involved with DSA this year and spent a Sunday this fall changing people's brake light bulbs. Also getting signatures for the Gerrymandering abolishment amendment that's probably going on Michigan's ballot next fall.

It feels good to get involved, even at a local level.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Im sure the Democratic party here is probably 2 people who are actually dust covered dead skeletons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

lmao @ 4k month private school. Just hire a personal teacher to homeschool them jesus christ

The problem is there is no real structure private schools have to abide by,iirc, and this includes content or courses. It’s not a guarantee to higher learning. Example is Betsy DeVos.

• Locked thread