Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Congrats on your pay day goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Regarde Aduck posted:

They know exactly what they're doing.

Thank you for not grouping me in with those people.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gangringo posted:

I'm donating every cent I save to 2018 midterm candidates and organizations that will overturn this bullshit.

This is a very good idea and someone with more tweeter followers than I should spread it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who looks at this loving calculator and says 'yes this is worth it' is unbelievably loving dumb and/or evil holy poo poo.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

evilweasel posted:

if that's what you think i said, there's some terms in there you don't understand. what part about what i said about stocks made you think that it meant "tulip mania"

I think he's saying that both bitcoin and stocks are overvalued at the moment, the former may be due to speculative frenzy and the latter due to low global interest rates (this is the smartest set of words I've typed in a while) but the end result is the same

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

Anyone who looks at this loving calculator and says 'yes this is worth it' is unbelievably loving dumb and/or evil holy poo poo.

I don't think anyone is saying that. I would gladly forgo 907 loving dollars if it meant CHIP could be funded again, for example.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
According to my accountant this tax bill will save me $20k. I guess I'll celebrate by donating a few hundred bucks to the Gates Foundation.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol jesus I remember when all goons were as poor as me.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

evilweasel posted:

that's not true at all, the stock market is irrational in the short run but it's ultimately about valuing productive assets: you're paying for future appreciation/dividends

bitcoin is a tulip mania

the current problem with the stock market is that it's appreciating not so much because the future is bright, but because there's nowhere else for the money to go. too much capital is chasing too few places to put it.
This post contradicts itself so hard I thought for a moment it was capitalism.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

1300 extra in taxes a year, I easily can afford it but gently caress what the money is going to.

evilweasel posted:

republicans have proposed funding CHIP with cuts to medicare and to obamacare

they have not, notably, suggested funding tax cuts with anything

this isn't incompetence, this is malice

Scarry part is that CHIP is an entitlement and mandatory spending. Any expansion to Medicare needs to be fully and permanently funded with dedicated taxation. We no longer can trust future Congress to fund any entitlement.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943207905934954497

virginia race has one precinct (out of 24) to go and a one vote lead :ohdear: (this will flip the virginia house if Democrats can erase what was an initial ten-vote lead)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"Thanks" Mitch for the 3 million (jerk off motion,) but my sled-team of chihuahuas are already well-fed. Looks like this is going to the ballet.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This won't be in effect until 2018 taxes, correct?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943207905934954497

virginia race has one precinct (out of 24) to go and a one vote lead :ohdear: (this will flip the virginia house if Democrats can erase what was an initial ten-vote lead)

Yeah but my one vote never really matters. :downs:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

This post contradicts itself so hard I thought for a moment it was capitalism.

Surprise, surprise, a Kilroy post that is both arrogant and also has no understanding of what is actually being said.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

It was never true. It is just that when a thread turns into competitive poverty the non-poors just move on.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

mutata posted:

This won't be in effect until 2018 taxes, correct?

yes

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I think he's saying that both bitcoin and stocks are overvalued at the moment, the former may be due to speculative frenzy and the latter due to low global interest rates (this is the smartest set of words I've typed in a while) but the end result is the same

i mean, bitcoins are e-benie babies, they have no value besides greater fool speculation

stocks are overvalued (historically speaking) for the reason you're pointing to: the price rise isn't because they're going more productive and pay greater dividends, it's because interest rates are so hilariously low that stocks are the only game in town so people will accept a lower rate of return. that's different from a speculative bubble in stocks (which also could be happening) where it's just that people are nuts about the possibility of some new technology or what-have-you where people are gambling irrationally on future productivity increases

that's a seemingly boring economic point but it's actually really key in understanding why republican tax ideas are such garbage: there is no need to cut taxes to unleash new capital, capital can't find places to invest in even at much lower rates of return than it historically demands

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Is there no CBO report for this stupid tax bill

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah but my one vote never really matters. :downs:

yeah, christ

one single vote swaying the entire control of a state's legislature (to be clear, the person in the lead by one vote currently is the republican)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ague Proof posted:

"Thanks" Mitch for the 3 million (jerk off motion,) but my sled-team of chihuahuas are already well-fed. Looks like this is going to the ballet.

there is something fascinatingly endearing in the people tentatively waving their dicks around here in mourning

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FizFashizzle posted:

Hi friend, are you ready to die, too?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943209972829171718

don't know how to interpret this - Yancey is the republican, but they're saying he got an additional vote but is now tied (i.e., he lost a net vote)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

If you're using that calculator site remember to enter your property taxes, if applicable. It's pretty easy to miss the line because the guy didn't even bother trying to lay out the form decently. I went back to double check and after fixing my oversight my savings went from ~2600 to ~600.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Office Pig posted:

I sure am. let's get it over with

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Ding ding ding!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943210529891512327

LANDSLIDE SIMONDS TAKES THE LEAD

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
thank god there is a place for us, here, to explain how much we save on this tax cut to a sympathetic audience... unlike all those terrible places where people engage in Competitive Poverty...

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Simmonds is the Democrat.

https://twitter.com/JWPascale/status/943210897543192577

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Is there any chance a senate R grows a last minute spine and decides to torpedo this?

I mean, I know the answer, but humor me with long shots.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Office Pig posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Ndy_ahGL8

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FizFashizzle posted:

I mean, a bunch of the numbers people give mean they are making like 35,000 a year. Not vast wealth but pretty low if they have a family or anything.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ReidRansom posted:

Is there any chance a senate R grows a last minute spine and decides to torpedo this?

no, they think they have the votes with mccain gone and if one person flipped (plus flake who is still 'undecided') they'd just fly back mccain

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Koalas March posted:

I sure am. let's get it over with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkzc983aE0

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

evilweasel posted:

that's a seemingly boring economic point but it's actually really key in understanding why republican tax ideas are such garbage: there is no need to cut taxes to unleash new capital, capital can't find places to invest in even at much lower rates of return than it historically demands

Yah this is a good point. It feels good to understand this paragraph

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ReidRansom posted:

Hate to break it to you but this is their spine showing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My bad, please continue to tell us how the tax cut benefits you. I am happy to hear about your piece of the blood money!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

landslide simonds needs to maintain her lead for a bit longer:

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943211793161310208

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Turtlicious posted:

My bad, please continue to tell us how the tax cut benefits you. I am happy to hear about your piece of the blood money!

Pretty much everyone has said they neither want nor need their cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943209972829171718

don't know how to interpret this - Yancey is the republican, but they're saying he got an additional vote but is now tied (i.e., he lost a net vote)

It's not worded very clearly, but I think they mean it's gone from +1 Yancey to "no change", ie a tie.

• Locked thread