Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

or just dont take the gold and cheat 100000 caps in

i think yall are missing the point of dead money :colbert:

i'm not letting go of this old coot's eyeball with a ton of gold inside it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

amigolupus posted:

Didn't that get patched out? I tried dropping the gold through the force field, but it just dropped on my side instead.

It's possible, I haven't played through DM in a while.

I thought that the point of Dead Money was that material wealth is fleeting, and that you must let go of-

nah it's to fill up your bathtub with gold bars and roleplay scrooge mcduck

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I thought the point was gently caress Dean Domino despite his charming performance. :v:

Nobody Interesting posted:

i'm not letting go of this old coot's eyeball with a ton of gold inside it

Hmm. I'm not sure if this one got patched out either. Then again, I don't think I remember if I had gotten Elijah's eyeball to spawn when I killed him.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
You can also use Implant GR-X to buy enough time to just walk until you reach the broken stairs where you have to jump, drop the gold, pick it up to carry in front of you, drop it on the next bit of stairs, jump over, pick it up, and leave.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

amigolupus posted:

Hmm. I'm not sure if this one got patched out either. Then again, I don't think I remember if I had gotten Elijah's eyeball to spawn when I killed him.

I gored a pickpocket (Freeside Open is GOOD) in Freeside and found a segment of his pancreas was still heavy enough to keep me going at a walking pace so I don't think it works anymore

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nobody Interesting posted:

I gored a pickpocket (Freeside Open is GOOD) in Freeside and found a segment of his pancreas was still heavy enough to keep me going at a walking pace so I don't think it works anymore

Well if the method doesn't work, then I hope mine would be able to help you smuggle out all the gold bars. :shobon:

Speaking of Dead Money, if you go into it with 10 INT, is there a way to lower it enough so that you can get Dog's backstory? I know beer or wine will lower your INT, but are there other items available in Dead Money that can stack with its effects?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I always just take a single gold bar to be classy.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
please post The List of Good-rear end Mods so I don't have to do any work. TIA in advance guys. Already picked up JSawyer which I had forgotten about.

I actually am trying out NV again after years because I couldn't get FO4 mods to work for some mystery reason and just didn't feel like loving with it today so instead I feel like loving with a different, older Bethesda(ish) game.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Speaking of Dead Money, if you go into it with 10 INT, is there a way to lower it enough so that you can get Dog's backstory? I know beer or wine will lower your INT, but are there other items available in Dead Money that can stack with its effects?
You could get addicted to chems. Mentats and Med-X addiction are -1 IN and stack with each other. I don't think you can get enough penalties, though! Alcohol is -3 with maxed Survival and if you have Hardcore Mode on you can tack on another -1 from thirst, which still puts you at 4.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Poultron posted:

please post The List of Good-rear end Mods so I don't have to do any work. TIA in advance guys. Already picked up JSawyer which I had forgotten about.

I actually am trying out NV again after years because I couldn't get FO4 mods to work for some mystery reason and just didn't feel like loving with it today so instead I feel like loving with a different, older Bethesda(ish) game.

none

NV doesnt need mods to be good cya

Poultron
May 26, 2006

none

NV doesnt need mods to be good cya

wrong bitch.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Poultron posted:

wrong bitch.

nah NV is a fantastic game, probably one of the best ever made, without mods

but maybe you should read the fnv modding thread, dipshit

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Poultron posted:

The OP of the modding thread is out of date but still has some useful links.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

nah NV is a fantastic game, probably one of the best ever made, without mods

but maybe you should read the fnv modding thread, dipshit

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

thanks idiot (I don't know how I missed it I was looking for the thread, I am the idiot)

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The OP of the modding thread is out of date but still has some useful links.

thanks as well to you my friend.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The main mod I like beyond jsawyer is Project Nevada for the sprinting and grenade hotkeys.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Poultron posted:

There is a mod thread. (E: Beaten raw.)

If you do not have time for a mod thread, CASM and NVAC (and therefore NVSE) are considered Extremely Not Optional because one makes the game not kill itself forever with the corrupted autosave logic and the other makes the game catch exceptions before Windows does. Everything else, even YUP and JSawyer, are at least a little take it or leave it.

For the record, people lumping the people who :thunk: at New Vegas's Metacritic 84 in with the "aliens gave my cat a beard" conspiracy theorist crowd still bother me a little.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 19, 2017

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Poultron posted:

I agree with none, for a first playthrough if nothing else. Play the game, and if anything doesn't work for you, use the mod thread to fix it. It's a pretty loving well made game with a lot of thought in it, even seven years later.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Btw nothing was patched out in Dead Money because the DLCs couldn't be patched on consoles, though I guess they could have patched in some changes to the base game mechanics that affected the DLC. They also could have taken down the DLC from the online stores and uploaded an updated version maybe, though if they did that surely they'd have fixed the ghost people having incredibly high Perception when it was meant to be low, and the In Shining Armor perk doing literally nothing

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The other mod that I think is required is the Outside Bets New Vegas Uncut mod (found here).

It adds some cut content back in, but more importantly it restores all of the NPCs that were removed by each successive DLC (because console memory couldn't handle the game otherwise). New Vegas and Freeside Open are also both great and are from the same modder, so are fully compatible with Outside Bets.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
CASM is the only essential mod because if you have it installed you won't have to worry about losing your game file and having to start over from scratch

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

nah the only essential mod is nvac because you wont crash to begin with

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The only essential mods are JSawyer, Project Nevada, Fellout, CASM, YUP, EVE, NVAC, Nipton Revisited, Novac Motel Room, New Vegas Uncut Outside Bets, Freeside Open, Strip Open, True Faction Allegiance, Uncut Wasteland, Remove Perk Level Requirements, Enhanced Bullet Impacts and the Fallout 4 Loot Menu. Anything else is just fluff.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The only necessary mods are - hold on a sec - *loads up mod manager, copy/pastes load order*

2house2fly posted:

The only essential mods are JSawyer, Project Nevada, Fellout, CASM, YUP, EVE, NVAC, Nipton Revisited, Novac Motel Room, New Vegas Uncut Outside Bets, Freeside Open, Strip Open, True Faction Allegiance, Uncut Wasteland, Remove Perk Level Requirements, Enhanced Bullet Impacts and the Fallout 4 Loot Menu. Anything else is just fluff.

I actually didn't know about a couple of these, so thanks for the list. Time to do more modding and not actually play the game (modding IS the game for me now).

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I got a mod that makes all the grass bright green and one that makes all the water bright blue and the game looks so pretty now and I will definitely start that new playthrough one of these days

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

*spends hours creating an elaborate modlist and tuning everything to my exact specifications*

actually I kinda don't feel like playing fallout right now

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

What do I need with gold or caps when I can turn worthless prewar clothes and cigarettes into hundreds of weapon repair kits; a dozen mint condition hunting rifles can buy pretty much everything in the wasteland.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I installed the Weapons of the new Millennia mod and it added this high dps 10mm pistol that could be repaired by regular 10mm handguns and I basically had all the caps I needed by Primm. Also found some shotgun (Ithaca something) on a raider that's fixed by single shotguns and takes 20gauge. So heads up if you use that mod cos it can break the game within two hours.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

tbf the point of Fallout is sort of "Do whatever the gently caress you want ain't poo poo they can do to stop you" and if you want to completely ruin the storyline of a DLC FNV is more than happy to let you do that. Which is awesome.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

When the hell did I pick up the "CHIM" perk :psyduck:

Actually this time around I'm a bad person IRL because the Github version of New Vegas Uncut has downright anemic documentation and I figured this meant the Nexus version was abandoned so I didn't use any part of it at all.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
i usually just use a mod that makes the save files not boro themseleves after a while.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Raygereio posted:

A big red exclamation mark means the game can't find the mesh. That's generally not a loadorder problem, but a mod installation one.
Yeah its seems like FOOK is not working, then again now I'm using Nexus's mod manager so maybe that has something to do with it

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

funmanguy posted:

i usually just use a mod that makes the save files not boro themseleves after a while.

I'd like a mod that has all of my save files play themselves to a logical conclusion. Just a bunch of lil courier multiverses out there

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
playing through honest hearts and the survival caches have been extremely generous, 2 skill books and 2 stealth boys. Also the real lesson of dead money is to take the sierra madre security armor

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah its seems like FOOK is not working, then again now I'm using Nexus's mod manager so maybe that has something to do with it
We like to poo poo on NMM (*). But it's functional these days, so it shouldn't be the cause of your problems.
Check if you have archive invalidated (this makes the game load loose files - which are files that are not contained in a .bsa). And if you have things installed correctly.

(*): Daily reminder that the bunch of code monkeys Dark0ne hired, managed to create a bug that caused NMM to DDoS their own website. And managed to recreate it some time later.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I think I figured it out, I downloaded the files and activated them in the wrong order.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Haverchuck posted:

playing through honest hearts and the survival caches have been extremely generous, 2 skill books and 2 stealth boys. Also the real lesson of dead money is to take the sierra madre security armor

It's about letting go

of your explosives

towards everyone else

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The lesson of dead money (and old world blues for that matter) is that guns are for the weak. Grab a beartrap and punch assholes in the face.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The lesson is whatever I decide it is, because I rule New Vegas with my pal Yes Man and I also pardoned Benny off screen and we hang out and stuff

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The lesson is whatever I decide it is, because I rule New Vegas with my pal Yes Man and I also pardoned Benny off screen and we hang out and stuff

I, um.

Well.

Better Benny than the Legion? v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

dont be mean to me posted:

Better Benny than the Legion? v:shobon:v

Hey you heard about our new slogan! We hope to recruit a lot of new blood during the upcoming recruitment campaign