Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Azhais posted:

What happens in case of a tie? Is there a new election or does someone get a tiebreaker?

In VA law if two candidates tie it goes to a round of fisticuffs and horseshoes to determine the winner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Azhais posted:

What happens in case of a tie? Is there a new election or does someone get a tiebreaker?

I believe they draw lots.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Azhais posted:

winner determined "by lot" i.e. drawing a name out of a hat

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Azhais posted:

I'm guessing a protracted lawsuit over the provenance of that ballot

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Nevvy Z posted:

What happened with the one where a bunch of people were given the entirely wrong ballot?

Pending decision. Expect a special election.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Azhais posted:

The winner is whoever received the most white votes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

guidoanselmi posted:

Was the health care spending deduction removed in the final bill?? If so, that's where my tax cut is going :smith:

I dunno they seem to have just more or less randomly decided to eliminate this or that in order to fudge with the numbers. I mean maybe that's not really true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is

evilweasel posted:

holy poo poo is this real

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Yeah, I'm getting like $700 but I'm sure as poo poo not changing my party registration over it.

Wait, am I the baddie?

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
I never knew Mooseport was in Virginia.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

evilweasel posted:

Too easy to manipulate - they should really use a coin flip

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Eh, you may or may not still see a tax cut. People did a real bad thing of being hyperbolic and changing "it favors billionaires" into a hyper literal idea that it only gave tax breaks to only billionaires and to all billionaires and not to anyone else ever.

Like you need to recalibrate to "this is bad because it disproportionately benefits the people that need it least" but not go too far and hit fiction of the idea that it was ever "no one gets a tax cut except all billionaires" or something. It can be both bad and also cut your taxes a little.

People may have done that in their head, but literally everything that I've read up to this point is "If you're rich or middle class, you'll get a tax cut until 2025, at which point you're taxes will go up if you're middle class. Unless you live in a high-tax state or use any of the deductions that are being cut. And rising insurance prices will eat most or all of your tax cut."

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
my swing vote story is that the small town I grew up in voted to build a sort of ludicrously large fire hall, that my parents were opposed to but didn't show up for, and it passed by one vote

then I told this story on the bus to a kid who happened to be the son of the fire chief and he got all butthurt about it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Munkeymon posted:

Too easy to manipulate - they should really use a coin flip

Of course, the question then is how do you do it when more than two candidates are tied? You need a random chance method that can scale up.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Well, I just donated some of my expected tax savings to a handful of house challengers, and I urge everyone else to do the same if you can afford it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/SchneiderG/status/943220504705536001

:ohdear:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Pakled posted:

Of course, the question then is how do you do it when more than two candidates are tied? You need a random chance method that can scale up.

Round robin game of Rock, Paper, Scissor, Lizard, Spock.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Levitate posted:

holy poo poo is this real

Its very common for a tie election to be resolved through a random selection of some kind. Ties are so rare that when they happen and people have blown the dust off the law book, its funny what ends up being the procedure. I think here in Iowa, we flip a coin, and in another one of those big square states in the west the 2 candidates had to each draw a card from a standard deck of playing cards with the highest card winning.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Pakled posted:

You can just round-robin coin flips. If there is one winner of the round, he/she wins. If not, proceed with another round-robin containing only those who tied for winning the previous round.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
cf
https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943220966217408518

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Mind_Taker posted:

You can just round-robin coin flips.

What happens if the coin keeps landing on its edge?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pakled posted:

Just flip more coins, each coin is one bit. A Bitcoin, if you will. So two heads would be zero. A head followed by a tail would be one. A tail followed by a head would be two. Two tails would be three. You just zero index your list of candidates and discard an invalid result. With three coins you can scale up to 8 candidates, with four coins 16, and so on.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kind of hoping the provisional ballot is for the Republican, but it's by a minority and all the work to suppress the vote results in them not actually being registered.

I mean, if you're going to disenfranchise people at least let it result in one comical goof.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Susan Collins throwing error codes

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/943221066171912192

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lmao what the gently caress

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hahaha

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They exhausted all her quest-specific dialog

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Pakled posted:

Sum of multiple flips per candidate. Keep going until one has the highest number.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/notlarrysabato/status/943221504497602567

:woop:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

This is some astounding cynicism.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Pending decision. Expect a special election.

Thanks! Can that take them up to 51 potentially? I recall there being a bunch of nonsense in that body if the parties are equally split.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So this means VA has been flipped officially?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

There Bias Two posted:

So this means VA has been flipped officially?

It's tied and the governor has the tiebreaker right?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
For the rest of our lives we'll all have That One Time we can reference when talking about the importance of voting and the value of a single vote.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Does anyone have a good write up on the current tax bill?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/943187228477607943

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Ahahaha what?!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pakled posted:

Every candidate rolls a D20, high roll wins. However if a candidate rolls a 20, and regardless of if other candidates have yet to roll, they win. Any candidate that rolls a 1 must officially change their party to that of the winning candidate and donate all remaining campaign and Super PAC funds to the winning candidate.

If all candidates roll a 1, all are bared from every holding elective office or even voting ever again and a new election is held.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

lol jesus I remember when all goons were as poor as me.

My post was a joke :ssh:

I was poking fun at the idiots who got suckered by a "non-partisan" calculator sponsored by Fox News and started fantasizing about how much money they'd save from corporate taxes being slashed into oblivion.

The whole point is that cutting taxes is bad even if you're saving money as a result. Even if this tax bill was only cutting taxes on people who make under $200k, while leaving rich people's taxes and business taxes untouched, it would still be incredibly bad. Taxes need to be going up, not down - even entering your income into that thing at all amounts to getting suckered by the GOP propaganda machine. Besides, the calculator intentionally leaves off a number of things - it omits a number of changes that help the rich or hurt the poor, such as deduction changes and AMT changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's tied and the governor has the tiebreaker right?

no, there's no tiebreaker at all

but if a special election gets ordered, democrats will vote themselves the majority 50-49 while the election is going on

if not, last time they agreed one party would be the majority one year, the other party would be the majority the other

• Locked thread