Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeroti
Feb 26, 2009

Fear not the darkness, fear that which the darkness hides.

Strobe posted:

People getting mad at the Commissar and Conscript changes are :psyduck: to me. Like, do you actively not want your opponent to have fun? Were you actually trying to spend $40 specifically to buff your plastic spacemans? Guard has a shitton of great options and is top tier even without that abusive bullshit.

They should have had the commissar morale ability work on a 4+ for conscripts just like orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

One_Wing posted:

Yeah, quad shurikens being the only loadout worth taking (or at least the only one where another choice isn’t more cost efficient for the same task) is pretty much the conclusion I’ve come to. Sadly, my two wraithlords are a very classic metal one with one flamer being part of the sculpt (and only one heavy mount point), and one I fully glued when I was like 16 which is dual flamers because they were free then, and a ghost glaive rather than a second cannon because it used to use up a weapon slot.

I do not need to buy a start collection box. I do not need to buy a start collection box. I do not need to buy a start collecting box.

I almost always take the sword. 10 points to wound tanks on 3+, sure why not. Also it looks badass.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
Robots punching and/or swordfighting tanks is essential 40k, it's a good choice on that basis alone.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

FiestaNinja posted:

Robots punching and/or swordfighting tanks is essential 40k, it's a good choice on that basis alone.

All the best robots are powered by dead people. Except Kastellans, which are powered by punch cards.

e: some comedy from my local re: those Primaris Marines I was looking to sell on. A dude ITT PMed me, we set everything up, I go to check I can still buy them. The post and everything related to it disappears after I ask if they're still available.

I speak to the shop owner's missus who tells me the seller has form for this kind of thing. He asked for a game in our "get a game" Facebook group, she offered and he ignored her repeatedly, then when he got called out on it by someone else in the group he whined about being "bullied" and swore off coming to the shop because of its "terrible culture" then deleted the Facebook post + a separate forum thread on a club message board on the same topic. What is it about 40k that attracts these kind of ridiculous people? Why on earth would your reaction to someone asking about a thing you offered to sell be *delete the whole post* rather than just saying "sorry, I've already sold them/decided I want to keep them." Madness.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 19, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I like the theory that they basically existed as a narrative army with the sole purpose of getting mowed down by the hundreds.

All the old codices used to include in the forward a little "why play this army" section and I'm curious what that was for Tyranids.

This is my intention but I have to wait for xmas for my Warriors. I'd probably give them guns though so they can at least do something if they fail their charge.

Boneswords and Deathspitters are a great combo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TKIY posted:

Boneswords and Deathspitters are a great combo.

This is my go to loadout for warriors and shrikes.

Well and usually giving one or two a venom cannon for plinking at things from far away.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Warhammer 40keighteen owns.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

mango sentinel posted:

Warhammer 40keighteen owns.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
To kind of highlight increased interest created by 8th edition over 7th edition is the Adepticon Championship has already sold out with more than 3 months to go. I am pretty sure there was something like 30 spots left last year...

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

To kind of highlight increased interest created by 8th edition over 7th edition is the Adepticon Championship has already sold out with more than 3 months to go. I am pretty sure there was something like 30 spots left last year...

I've already played more games of 8th than I did during all of 7th edition. 40k is actually a pretty fun game these days.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That may be an overall Adepticon thing though - before registration opened they warned that last year their most popular painting classes sold out "within hours". This year most of the seminars sold out within minutes. Several sold out while I was checking out, and I was sitting at my computer waiting the moment they opened.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So I guess GSC rock cutters and Tyranid slayer sabres nullify Guilliman's revive by just slaying him outright? Is that right?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

LVO has sold out 512 places, and I think London GT has as well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

I've already played more games of 8th than I did during all of 7th edition. 40k is actually a pretty fun game these days.

Same, but I didn't play a single game of 7th.

I'm actually excited to get a full Space Marine army done, especially since the new rules let me mix-and-match some other fun models like Kastellans or a Vendetta with dudes dropping in to murder people.

If you deploy from a Vendetta using the special rule do you still get to move afterwards?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm actually excited to get a full Space Marine army done, especially since the new rules let me mix-and-match some other fun models like Kastellans or a Vendetta with dudes dropping in to murder people.

If you deploy from a Vendetta using the special rule do you still get to move afterwards?

My understanding is that you should be able to move them after disembarking since it doesn't specify that they get out at the end of the phase or anything. Given that they stipulate they have to deploy further than 9" makes me doubt that a bit though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You missed nothing. 7th was a trash fire.

The thing is, as 30k shows, it wasn't really the game system. It was all the inane bullshit that had been bolted onto it over the years. Well, that and a complete lack of balance. gently caress formations, I'm glad they're dead.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So question about drops.

If I deploy a transport with two squads and a character in it, does that count as one drop? Or do I have to one-by-one nominate a squad to ride in the transport and THEN drop the transport (or transport first and then nominate one-by-one squads to ride)?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

So question about drops.

If I deploy a transport with two squads and a character in it, does that count as one drop? Or do I have to one-by-one nominate a squad to ride in the transport and THEN drop the transport (or transport first and then nominate one-by-one squads to ride)?

One drop

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

So question about drops.

That's one drop, yes.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

So question about drops.

It was clarified in the designers commentary in the end, which was nice since it meant I could get 6 drops down as one in the Repulsor party bus.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Boon posted:

So question about drops.

It's one drop for deployment, but 4 units for the "at least half your units must start on the table" number.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Deified Data posted:

I like the theory that they basically existed as a narrative army with the sole purpose of getting mowed down by the hundreds.

All the old codices used to include in the forward a little "why play this army" section and I'm curious what that was for Tyranids.

Tyranids were very good in 2nd edition when they got their first Codex

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

Tyranids were very good in 2nd edition when they got their first Codex

And 3rd and 4th. It was only from the 5th ed book onwards that they became a joke. They've always done well for releases too - the only xenos army to get books in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th/7th.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

And 3rd and 4th. It was only from the 5th ed book onwards that they became a joke. They've always done well for releases too - the only xenos army to get books in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th/7th.

Yeah they've had a ton of model support, and are one of the few armies to get 3 full waves of sculpts/resculpts for some of their oldest stuff. Hell, even the 'main badguy faction' is still relying on some original models from the 90s

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Also the vast majority of their line is plastic now, which is more than can be said for Eldar or CSM.

Speaking of which, would a Warrior body be the right size for converting into a Lictor?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also the vast majority of their line is plastic now, which is more than can be said for Eldar or CSM.

Speaking of which, would a Warrior body be the right size for converting into a Lictor?

Yeah. Most lictor conversions I see involve the body and legs of a Warrior with a Cthulhu genestealer head and some oversized talons from whatever kit.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Lictors are a bit smaller and thinner. I can take a pick of Deathleaper and a Warrior side by side tonight if you want.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah. Most lictor conversions I see involve the body and legs of a Warrior with a Cthulhu genestealer head and some oversized talons from whatever kit.

Well, that's the exact conversion I had in mind, cool.

I just want a Tyranid Prime, and didn't want the other two bodies in the box to go to waste, and Lictors are cool (even if they're not particularly GOOD)

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

LVO has sold out 512 places, and I think London GT has as well.

Speaking of big events I am kind of at an impasse on what to take to the championship.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

How are the hellblaster assault and heavy variants? I'm deciding how I'd configure a group of them, probably 5 and 5 but not sure which two of the three weapon options.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm thinking of using the heavy variant to take advantage of their range and Grim Resolve.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The assault variants always seem like the clear winners to me. They might have lower stats, but they have more shots at range and even an added mobility element to them. I guess the heavy plasma guns could work as shittier lascannons, but that's just because biglys are forced into that by their lack of anti-tank.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the responses all.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

The assault variants always seem like the clear winners to me. They might have lower stats, but they have more shots at range and even an added mobility element to them. I guess the heavy plasma guns could work as shittier lascannons, but that's just because biglys are forced into that by their lack of anti-tank.

Why would you take the assault variant on foot when for an additional 10ppm you can have Inceptors that have more shots, better mobility and can deepstrike?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Pendent posted:

Why would you take the assault variant on foot when for an additional 10ppm you can have Inceptors that have more shots, better mobility and can deepstrike?

Because two shots per model from 15-24" is actually really good and you can advance and still fire for a threat range closer to 36" than the 20" you get from moving regular incinerators. One shot per model is not impressive with that statline.

Edit: misread, keeping it here anyway.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

2 pts more, and hellblasters tend to last a lot longer than Inceptors is why.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

You sure about those numbers?

Plasma inceptors = 25+17+17 = 59 points per model
Assault Hellblasters = 18+17 = 35 points per model

59-25 = 24 point difference

Right?

I don't run biglys so I pulled these numbers off of a google search, but they should be the Chapter Approved values. I know inceptors used to be much more expensive.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

You sure about those numbers?

Plasma inceptors = 25+17+17 = 59 points per model
Assault Hellblasters = 18+17 = 35 points per model

59-25 = 24 point difference

Right?

I don't run biglys so I pulled these numbers off of a google search, but they should be the Chapter Approved values. I know inceptors used to be much more expensive.

Nope, you're definitely right. I had the 45ppm bolter version in my head. That being said I'd still much rather have Inceptors compared to assault hellblasters. I don't know how our local metas differ but my experience with hellblasters is that if they're on foot they're going to get killed very, very fast. Sure you can advance and shoot, but if you do so you effectively give up the ability to overcharge (Overheating on 2's? No thanks!) and it's still likely even with the 3.5" of extra movement that you're going to draw a lot of fire.

Inceptors on the other hand will also absolutely draw a lot of fire, but are guaranteed the ability to shoot and can be dropped immediately into cover which makes them a huge pain in the rear end to dislodge. Not to mention they're significantly more mobile and for those of us who play the Best Chapter can be easily redeployed for a single CP.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’ve been looking through my codex: are Mawlocs any good? Do any of you goons who play or have played tyranids see them used competitively?

Toughness 6, 12 wounds, +3 save (+2 with Jormungandir). About 100 points. Seems like they’d make an amazing distraction for the early game and pretty much guaranteed to tie up a gun line and cause a bit of damage turn 2. Also can be cheeky and put them in a Kronos detachment to mess with Psykers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

Nope, you're definitely right. I had the 45ppm bolter version in my head. That being said I'd still much rather have Inceptors compared to assault hellblasters. I don't know how our local metas differ but my experience with hellblasters is that if they're on foot they're going to get killed very, very fast. Sure you can advance and shoot, but if you do so you effectively give up the ability to overcharge (Overheating on 2's? No thanks!) and it's still likely even with the 3.5" of extra movement that you're going to draw a lot of fire.

Inceptors on the other hand will also absolutely draw a lot of fire, but are guaranteed the ability to shoot and can be dropped immediately into cover which makes them a huge pain in the rear end to dislodge. Not to mention they're significantly more mobile and for those of us who play the Best Chapter can be easily redeployed for a single CP.
It's mostly for the 2 shots at 24". The rapid fire versions have to close to 15" for the same number of shots. I'm not trying to say the mobility of an assault weapon is worth the trade-off, it's just a nice bonus. The main thing is that extra shot. But that's just me.

Again, I don't run hellblasters or inceptors or any of those things. I've got no experience with them in particular, but I do think the assault bolters and plasmas are better than the other options. Massed S6 is plenty good against most targets and AP-4 is scary. I'll even resort to some chuchu-esque mathhammer to illustrate my point
10 hellblasters shooting at a T8 target, not counting armor save
Assault - 20 shots -> 13.33 hits -> 4.44 wounds (8.88 on overcharge accounting for D2)
Rapid-fire - 10 shots -> 6.66 hits -> 2.22 wounds (6.66 on overcharge)
Rapid-fire within 15" - 20 shots -> 13.33 hits -> 4.44 wounds (13.33 on overcharge)
Heavy - 10 shots -> 6.66 hits -> 3.33 wounds (8.88 on overcharge)
:goonsay:
I feel filthy

The winners are obviously the rapid fire plasmas within 15", but that's dangerous territory. I'd definitely take the assault versions over the heavies just because of the options they provide and, who knows, they might get lucky. Rapid fire vs. assault is an argument worth having though. Hellblasters in a repulsor would want the rapid fire version, but I think they'd want the assault on foot.

I didn't mean to get this into this topic, but I'm avoiding work right now. Don't take any of this as a rebuttal, I'm just bored and sick of staring at simulations. :v: