Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lancemantis posted:

I had a car with a HUD; its kind of nice but sensitive to lighting and such, really its just better to shift the necessary displays to a more visible location

just drive exclusively at night, nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

same

Audi?

bmw

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

you can set up a hud with torque pro and an odb2 adapter, which is pretty neat. gotta figure out how to keep your phone from sliding around your dash tho

if you like pissbaby ghetto huds that wipe out the view in front of you when you drive under a street light or the sun then this is definitely an option

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

SO DEMANDING posted:

just drive exclusively in night city, nbd

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

just drive exclusively at night, nbd

thanks to the geodesics its always night, and rainy (gibson gets super specific about this in mona lisa overdrive)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

and is a little more confused on more detailed pages

i will pass these off to a friend who might be able to help a little more, but if anyone actually knows russian i ironed all these papers like the newspapers in downton abby and i have high quality pics

full docs for one of them are here
https://imgur.com/a/ku3FJ

thanks, mine didn't come with instructions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/business/google-thinks-im-dead.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNnRBksvOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
brazil: great movie or greatest movie?

greatest

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

idgi

Agile Vector posted:

thanks to the geodesics its always night, and rainy (gibson gets super specific about this in mona lisa overdrive)

this reminds me of some of the specials on geoengineering on BBC and the creepy very cyberpunk suggestions of people attending them

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Midjack posted:

thanks, mine didn't come with instructions.

glad it helped! moved most of my spam about them over to the spare projects thread. found someone who has actually got one working, and who made a schematic for a 25 pin parallel port adapter, among other things.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alexa makes a noise that sounds like a sigh, and powers off.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FMguru posted:

greatest

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

it's a shipping container with japanese writing on it, which i guess is cyberpunk if you don't live anywhere near an intermodal shipping yard

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

C.H.O.M.E posted:

glad it helped! moved most of my spam about them over to the spare projects thread. found someone who has actually got one working, and who made a schematic for a 25 pin parallel port adapter, among other things.

awesome, thanks!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

infernal machines posted:

it's a shipping container with japanese writing on it, which i guess is cyberpunk if you don't live anywhere near an intermodal shipping yard

or live in one in an intermodal shipping yard

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
lol if you think you can afford the impeccable craftsmanship of a genuine japanese container unless you're some kinda high roller

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
why would a COSCO (chinese) container have japanese on it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
aren't there multiple cyberpunk books where the protag lives or deals with shipping containers

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sniep posted:

they are just showing off

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bob dobbs is dead posted:

aren't there multiple cyberpunk books where the protag lives or deals with shipping containers

yeah it's a pretty standard trope

even shows up in the gibson x files episode (the good one)

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

i live near one of the largest inland ones in n. america and everytime i pass it on the train i wonder how many of the containers have people in it.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There are multiple places in the UK right now where you can rent shipping containers that have been converted into permanent living spaces. I presume that's a thing in other places too?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

greatest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyl0YotL-7Q

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

communism bitch posted:

There are multiple places in the UK right now where you can rent shipping containers that have been converted into permanent living spaces. I presume that's a thing in other places too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pgc-eQZpic

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sniep posted:

same reason it has english, they do enough business with people who speak it that it makes sense

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Midjack posted:

same reason it has english, they do enough business with people who speak it that it makes sense

i think the point being made was that it is not actually japanese on the side, it's chinese

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the characters are the same for kanji/hanzi, but whatever, don't let me get in the way of a good spergoff

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

the characters are the same for kanji/hanzi, but whatever, don't let me get in the way of a good spergoff

this is a slight against nippon and will not stand

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

prepared containers are 320 square feet and after inspection, cleaning, and repaintng they run about $10 a square foot

if you don't mind super low ceilings i guess just get 8 of them and stack them for your two floor house shell

like, with a poured foundation and a roof you're looking at $45k, plus flooring, insulation, hvac, drywall, plumbing/electric, probably $85-90k unfurnished

i guess that probably beats out stick built or even manufactured in most places, but the econauts would be better off doing concrete or compressed earth, both in terms of cost and environmental impact

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

syscall girl posted:

this is a slight against nippon and will not stand
remember to sigh when you draw your hanzo steel

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

remember to sigh when you draw your hanzo steel

i do, and i have my little brother to remind me it's tape

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

angry_keebler posted:

i guess that probably beats out manufactured in most places

if you meant prefabricated built on-site then yeah it's gonna come close for obviously much shittier quality

but for manufactured ie a doublewide a container's not even close to cheaper all told

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

lol if you think you can afford the impeccable craftsmanship of a genuine japanese container unless you're some kinda high roller

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

agreed the cyberpunk future is actually going to be like that spooky-for-kids tv episode with the big Tupperwares

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm in New Delhi and this city is cyberpunk as hell

The smog is so thick that cars 50 meters in front of you are fading away, and this is apparently good weather. There's a literal mountain of garbage like 1000 feet high that I thought was a natural hill. Looks like something out of Wall-E or The Fifth Element. It's next to a gigantic open-air chicken market, and every high-tension wire nearby is covered with thousands of hawks or falcons or something waiting to eat the entrails. There are essentially no road laws at all and all the motorcyclists have their faces tightly wrapped in scarves and goggles against the pollution. There are bright neon lights and satellite dishes and dense slums with wires strung on every surface and yogis in orange robes sitting on walls chatting on mobile phones.

Hell of a place

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The smog is so thick that cars 50 meters in front of you are fading away, and this is apparently good weather. There's a literal mountain of garbage like 1000 feet high that I thought was a natural hill. Looks like something out of Wall-E or The Fifth Element. It's next to a gigantic open-air chicken market, and every high-tension wire nearby is covered with thousands of hawks or falcons or something waiting to eat the entrails. There are essentially no road laws at all and all the motorcyclists have their faces tightly wrapped in scarves and goggles against the pollution. There are bright neon lights and satellite dishes and dense slums with wires strung on every surface and yogis in orange robes sitting on walls chatting on mobile phones.

Hell of a place

post pics you gently caress man

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Hell of a place

I was in bangalore for work a couple of months ago and it was similar . Burning piles of garbage everywhere, traffic was absolute chaos. We came back in to the city one night and the highway was the most terrifying thing ever. I'm so glad that I didn't have to drive myself around. The speed limit was something like 100 kph, but there were trucks randomly in every lane doing 30-40 with no lights at all in addition to the mopeds and motorcycles swarming around everything.

Also the name of the area I stayed in is called 'Electronics city' lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m going to Tokyo next week for 10 days aka the most cyberpunk city in the world what are the most cyberpunk locations in Tokyo to visit and flex in my authentic techwear getup I wear only to feel more at ease with the crippling dystopia that surrounds us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

• Locked thread