Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thinking they aren't just as big of pieces of poo poo as the ones that voted for it and not be as worked up to vote them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

CPColin posted:

Weekly reminder that the Spoiler Effect can be eliminated by moving to a voting system that doesn't have it and that anger at spoiler candidates would be better directed at bad voting systems.

While it's true that we could solve the problem with a better voting system, spoiler candidates must make decisions based on the laws as they exist, in which the only way they can influence the election is by delivering victory to the opposing candidate and deserved to be held accountable accordingly.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CPColin posted:

Weekly reminder that the Spoiler Effect can be eliminated by moving to a voting system that doesn't have it and that anger at spoiler candidates would be better directed at bad voting systems.

Yeah, there's lot of things we can do to get rid of stupid plurality wins.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Did anything happen with McCabe today? Wasn’t gowdy flailing about him?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

Wait, if the tax bill is going to eat Wednesday as well, does that mean they're only going to have two days to avoid a shutdown over Christmas?

They can work through recesses if they decide they want to, I'm pretty sure.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CPColin posted:

Counterpoint: In the voting system that exists there is a spoiler effect and every candidate that runs is aware it exists. Spoilers deserve all the hate they get.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've had an idea for a law to reduce the obvious bribery of Congresspeople that's been floating around in my head a while but I've always thought it must be dumb since I've never heard anyone else propose something like this

Basically, a member of Congress, in order to be seated, has to divest themselves of all businesses and investments they own, with the exception of retirement accounts. After someone leaves Congress, they receive a pension equal to, say, 70% of the current congressional salary for as long as they live, but they're no longer allowed to work anywhere except nonprofits or academia.

This would eliminate the kind of super obvious bribery like with Corker and significantly cut back on wingnut welfare for Congresspeople.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

I think Collins actually only cares about still being the "good" Republican in the media and zeitgeist. It's not about Maine giving a poo poo, it's about no longer being fawned over.

She must realize that that's gone forever if she votes for the tax bill though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CPColin posted:

no, anger at spoiler candidates should absolutely be directed at them to keep them from flipping races to republicans until the voting system is changed. idiot spoiler candidates should put their effort into the voting system changes instead of vanity runs to aid republicans.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Lycus posted:

McCain dying would be bad. Arizona's psycho governor would promptly replace him with another psycho.

It would actually be very very good because it puts that seat up for reelection next fall. Which means that the chances for Dems retaking the Senate goes from possible to outright likely.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Lycus posted:

McCain dying would be bad. Arizona's psycho governor would promptly replace him with another psycho.

who would serve less than a year until the special election is held in 2018.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pakled posted:

I've had an idea for a law to reduce the obvious bribery of Congresspeople that's been floating around in my head a while but I've always thought it must be dumb since I've never heard anyone else propose something like this

Basically, a member of Congress, in order to be seated, has to divest themselves of all businesses and investments they own, with the exception of retirement accounts. After someone leaves Congress, they receive a pension equal to, say, 70% of the current congressional salary for as long as they live, but they're no longer allowed to work anywhere except nonprofits or academia.

This would eliminate the kind of super obvious bribery like with Corker and significantly cut back on wingnut welfare for Congresspeople.

Great, you're eliminating a lot of the most driven, ambitious, intelligent people from the pool of possible congresspeople, and heavily skewing it so that older people will be even more likely to run for office versus younger people. It would also make people leery to be candidates in possible wave elections, since they probably wouldn't hold the seat for consecutive elections and, welp, good luck having a normal career after that!

There's no way that could ever backfire, I'm sure.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/943245526300053504

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

botany posted:

very likely. if the tax bill actually goes into effect, it's going to seriously depress aggregate demand for large sections of the economy. that means lay-offs, unemployment and underutilization, which in turn depresses aggregate demand even more. it's very easy for this to lead into a recession.
Regarding this, have there been any changes to the impacts this bill will make if/once passed?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lmao she really trying it huh

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

too easy

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

mcmagic posted:

Meh, We want as many seats on the ballot in 2018 as possible.

Well yea, but in the meantime Convalescent McCain is Best McCain

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The, McCain, The

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheScott2K posted:

Well yea, but in the meantime Convalescent McCain is Best McCain

He's supporting this vile class warfare tax bill. gently caress him. There is no best McCain.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CPColin posted:

You can't elect candidates to change the voting system while there are spoilers running

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

He's supporting this vile class warfare tax bill. gently caress him. There is no best McCain.

well technically, he's not

he just would if his vote was needed but he's not gonna bother if its not

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Has anyone pointed out to her that she has, in fact, very obviously gotten nothing and gotten duped? Maybe someone should tell her that she got duped, she doesn't seem to realize it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

well technically, he's not

he just would if his vote was needed but he's not gonna bother if its not

He's come out in support of the bill.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pakled posted:

Non-profits are already a big place where politicians go to get their cushy payoff job. Academics too. And I don't think we want a world where academics and non-profits are banned from lobbying either.

I don't think we can solve this problem through criminalization. We need to solve this problem socially and culturally. This kind of corruption is acceptable to most Americans and that's the source of the issue.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

mcmagic posted:

there was a perfect tweet for this, it said like "There is a part of John McCain I love and admire, unfortunately they're trying to kill it with radiation"

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/NBCNewYork/status/943225689179860992

Democracy(tm)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It would actually be very very good because it puts that seat up for reelection next fall. Which means that the chances for Dems retaking the Senate goes from possible to outright likely.

nah best it's ever going to get is like, 50-50

people always forget the six or so democratic senators who have no business whatsoever being an elected national democrat from their state up for re-election, and keeping all of those is hard

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
haven't seen these posted yet but uhhh lmao

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/943246409251291139

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/943241140656107520

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

Has anyone pointed out to her that she has, in fact, very obviously gotten nothing and gotten duped? Maybe someone should tell her that she got duped, she doesn't seem to realize it.

She's obviously not being duped. She's complicit. What she asked for was cover, nothing more.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

He's come out in support of the bill.

yeah but he's not going to vote on it, because he's in arizona getting medical treatment

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I'm dead

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Pakled posted:

Serve 2 years as a rep, make $121k for life, get a job at a totally real and not fake nonprofit think tank

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That can happen later next year though.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Gyges posted:

I think Collins actually only cares about still being the "good" Republican in the media and zeitgeist. It's not about Maine giving a poo poo, it's about no longer being fawned over.

She wouldn't be courting hall passes - and therefore increasing the leverage of everyone else looking for one - unless she was scared of something.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Whoever put "Cuts" and "Jobs" in the same sentence didn't think that one through.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Republicans can burn in Hell for all I care. Blatantly lying to the American people.

Wife and I can’t wait for the beginning of the year to file our paperwork for the primaries. :getin:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You can't elect candidates to change the voting system while there are spoilers running

You can't convince people to be mad enough at the voting system to elect candidates who will change it when you're busy being pointlessly mad at the spoilers. Be mad at the spoilers, if you want to be, but if you're not also going to be mad at the voting system, the anger's wasted.

Now if there's a third-party candidate who is advocating against revising the voting system, gently caress 'em.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Xae posted:

It happens pretty regularly in small elections.

Some folks will go back to "one vote doesn't matter" as soon as the news cycle changes because it is usually just an excuse for their own laziness and unwillingness to vote.

Just like "Dems are too far right and don't do anything."

Lycus posted:

Yeah, but it would mean another senate seat available for pickup in Arizona in an unprecedented blue wave.

CPColin posted:

Weekly reminder that this is an incredibly dumb take and on par with claiming that all our anger at arsonists should really be directed towards our flammable buildings and people.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

nah best it's ever going to get is like, 50-50

people always forget the six or so democratic senators who have no business whatsoever being an elected national democrat from their state up for re-election, and keeping all of those is hard

Dems need to pick up 2 seats. If McCain dies that makes 2 seats in Arizona up for grabs. Combine that with Nevada and that's 3 very obtainable seats in a normal year let alone during a wave. Then you have Tennessee and the possibility of even Cruz getting popped in Texas if the wave is large enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dems need to pick up 2 seats. If McCain dies that makes 2 seats in Arizona up for grabs. Combine that with Nevada and that's 3 very obtainable seats in a normal year let alone during a wave. Then you have Tennessee and the possibility of even Cruz getting popped in Texas if the wave is large enough.

You're being very optimistic to put Arizona in the "very obtainable" category.

• Locked thread