Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Is the Allied AI coded to run operation downfall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

We drive off a sub. It's nice when this happens.

Phew! We're into another sub phase it seems!

Pretty much nothing happened in the air today – time to keep on rebuilding those pools !

Flow my pretties!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Dammit. There is another bloody carrier buggering around. Lets hope they are not about to make a run on Singapore!

My destroyers deliver the 56th Infantry brigade to Jaluit today, and the tide turns back in favour of Japan! I'm going to hit them like this for a few days while they unpack properly, then begin the attacks! There are marines that need a-killin'!

A good day if only because I landed fresh troops into the only active warzone outside of China.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What sort of special forces/elite units did Japan have during the war for ground combat? Anyone that might be useful for the island campaigns? Did they have any kind of specialized amphibious troops?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Night10194 posted:

What sort of special forces/elite units did Japan have during the war for ground combat? Anyone that might be useful for the island campaigns? Did they have any kind of specialized amphibious troops?

The Special Naval Landing Forces are the famous ones I've heard of.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

The SNLF and the Teishin Shudan were the cream of the crop. The paratroopers didn't have too many opportunities to be used in air drops, however.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

18 December 1943

Hazards of the job: British minesweeper Felixstowe strikes a mine off Sardinia. No casualties.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I was a bit surprised to find out that one of my grade school teachers writes books about the Pacific, including One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle of Tarawa. It sounds like the SNLF had their pick of the best physical specimens, because the Marines frequently encountered 6' Japanese defenders at Tarawa.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

Lakedaimon posted:

I was a bit surprised to find out that one of my grade school teachers writes books about the Pacific, including One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle of Tarawa. It sounds like the SNLF had their pick of the best physical specimens, because the Marines frequently encountered 6' Japanese defenders at Tarawa.
I actually finished reading that book this summer.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is a six-foot soldier even desirable? I'd have thought having less to shoot at, being able to cram into smaller foxholes, being easier to drag off the field, eating less and so forth would have been more useful characteristics as a soldier than "Can lift heavier weights more easily".

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gort posted:

Is a six-foot soldier even desirable? I'd have thought having less to shoot at, being able to cram into smaller foxholes, being easier to drag off the field, eating less and so forth would have been more useful characteristics as a soldier than "Can lift heavier weights more easily".

If you're going to do a banzai charge and try and physically overpower the enemy so you can stab them to death, an army of short weaklings may not be your ideal soldier type.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gort posted:

Someone in the squad has to carry the heaviest poo poo like the machine gun or the radio or whatever, and that guy is gonna hold up the whole squad if he's too slow.

Also in general across a large chunk of people in the 1940s, the smaller men are the ones who had worse nutrition growing up than the larger men.

I think you generally plan your military composition based on winning, rather than who will be the easiest to deal with as a casualty. And I don't think four or six inches of height is going to make that big of a difference re: foxholes etc, especially since the strong guy can help dig the foxhole faster/deeper.

Noshtane
Nov 22, 2007

The fish itself incites to deeds of hunger

Gort posted:

Other than waiting, soldiers mostly spend time marching with heavy loads, lift stuff, dig holes and so on. The actual Getting Shot At part is or at least used to be like 2% of a soldiers time in the war. I also imagine being able to haul more mortar shells and machine gun belts to a fight offsets the increased target they present.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Then again, Simo Hahya was 5'3", so I'm pretty sure context matters. In his case I'm sure being a tiny Finnish sprite probably helped him avoid getting hit. Also if you select for something like height, you forgo or make more difficult the opportunity to select for other measurable traits like intelligence, accuracy, or bravery.

E: this got me reading about Audie Murphy and holy jesus he's the IRL avatar of the godlike CoD teenager. Imagine a 5'4" 20 year old doing this

quote:

Two Germans exited a house about 100 yards (91 m) away and appeared to surrender; when Murphy's best friend responded, they shot and killed him. Murphy advanced alone on the house under direct fire. He killed six, wounded two and took 11 prisoner.[53]

THIS DUDE DID THAT

This is just one of six or seven such incidents PRIOR to him holding off an entire company from the back of a burning tank. So in conclusion, if I'm looking for frontline infantry, I'll take the tiny bloodthirsy orphans over the big guys any day.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 20, 2017

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I'm bad at editing my posts and got a little excited there

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Iirc he also starred in movies about himself wherein his feats were made less ridiculous so audiences wouldn't call bullshit.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Iirc he also starred in movies about himself wherein his feats were made less ridiculous so audiences wouldn't call bullshit.

Yup

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gort posted:

There was once a Prussian regiment of dudes who were all over 6'2", mostly because the king thought they were kickin' rad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Giants

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2AEcsx5n5c

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Also in general across a large chunk of people in the 1940s, the smaller men are the ones who had worse nutrition growing up than the larger men.

Feeding the young men of the nation and giving them physical exercise and pseudo military discipline was one of the intentions of new deal programs like the CCC and the WPA.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

My buddies started playing World of Warships, and thanks to this thread I was able to give them historical context on a lot of the boats. Also to warn them away from Regia Marina ships. Thanks, thread!

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

PittTheElder posted:

There was once a Prussian regiment of dudes who were all over 6'2", mostly because the king thought they were kickin' rad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Giants

quote:

The king trained and drilled his own regiment every day. He liked to paint their portraits from memory. He tried to show them to foreign visitors and dignitaries to impress them. At times he would try to cheer himself up by ordering them to march before him, even if he was in his sickbed. This procession, which included the entire regiment, was led by their mascot, a bear. He once confided to the French ambassador that "The most beautiful girl or woman in the world would be a matter of indifference to me, but tall soldiers—they are my weakness"

This, combined with the fact that they never saw action, rules

Actually the more I think about this the more I begin to doubt the king's original motive for assembling this regiment

Actually holy poo poo I'm reading and this dude was so into big men he would accept them as gifts from other nations, what can you say, dude loved his bears.

Actually aside from Alexander this is probably the biggest gay success story I've ever read

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 20, 2017

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

dylguy90 posted:

Then again, Simo Hahya was 5'3", so I'm pretty sure context matters. In his case I'm sure being a tiny Finnish sprite probably helped him avoid getting hit. Also if you select for something like height, you forgo or make more difficult the opportunity to select for other measurable traits like intelligence, accuracy, or bravery.

E: this got me reading about Audie Murphy and holy jesus he's the IRL avatar of the godlike CoD teenager. Imagine a 5'4" 20 year old doing this

THIS DUDE DID THAT

This is just one of six or seven such incidents PRIOR to him holding off an entire company from the back of a burning tank. So in conclusion, if I'm looking for frontline infantry, I'll take the tiny bloodthirsy orphans over the big guys any day.

Post-war, Murphy was essential in helping to remove the stigma for vets dealing with PTSD and seeking psychological help:

"Murphy suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after his return from the war. He was plagued by insomnia, bouts of depression, and nightmares related to his numerous battles. His first wife, Wanda Hendrix, often talked of his struggle with this condition, even claiming that he had at one time held her at gunpoint. For a time during the mid-1960s, he became dependent on doctor-prescribed sleeping pills called Placidyl. When he recognized that he had become addicted to the drug, he locked himself in a motel room where he took himself off the pills, going through withdrawal for a week.

Always an advocate of the needs of America's military veterans, Murphy eventually broke the taboo about publicly discussing war-related mental conditions. In an effort to draw attention to the problems of returning Korean and Vietnam War veterans, Murphy spoke out candidly about his own problems with PTSD, known then and during World War II as "battle fatigue" and also commonly known as "shell shock." He called on the United States government to give increased consideration and study to the emotional impact that combat experiences have on veterans, and to extend health care benefits to address PTSD and other mental-health problems suffered by returning war veterans."

He also became a famous Hollywood personality for playing himself in war movies based on his wartime experiences.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Audie Murphy is absolute proof that you can be the bravest badass in the world and still suffer serious mental trauma. He deserves just as much acclaim for being brave enough to be open about needing help as anything else he did.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Still have to be at least 5’10 to be one of these dudes.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm a moron

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 21, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Groundhog Day!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Groundhog day comes late this year.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The next 6 months are going to be nuts

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

My buddies started playing World of Warships, and thanks to this thread I was able to give them historical context on a lot of the boats. Also to warn them away from Regia Marina ships. Thanks, thread!

Italian ship designs aren't that bad. They're all very short-ranged, but that follows from Italy's geostrategic position in the Mediterranean. Italy did suffer structural weakness issues in destroyer designs, but that's also true of France, Germany, and Japan at the least. Destroyers show structural weakness more readily than most ships because their small draft and low freeboard (discounting forecastle if any, because the break of the forecastle is a stress concentration) mean the hull girder can't be very deep. Imagine two pieces of corrugated cardboard, one one millimeter thick and one ten millimeters thick. Which will support more weight hanging from its center before collapsing? Naval architects in the aforementioned countries had to accept higher stresses than their British and American counterparts because they demanded extremes of performance (e.g., France and Italy competing for speed, Japan's philosophy of quality over quantity); at the same time, they generally had less practical experience with ship design because their navies could not pay for as many ships as the RN or USN.

It was Italy's naval high command that really sucked.

Night10194 posted:

Audie Murphy is absolute proof that you can be the bravest badass in the world and still suffer serious mental trauma. He deserves just as much acclaim for being brave enough to be open about needing help as anything else he did.

More, even. I'm sure his advocacy for PTSD research and treatment has saved far more lives than any of his battle exploits.

Oh, hey, the turn posted while I was writing this, even if it's not the right one yet...

19 December 1943

American torpedoes have begun to work: USS Grayback sinks the Japanese destroyer Numakaze 50 miles ENE of Okinawa.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Groundhog Day!

*I got you babe* starts playing

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

What doesn't Grey want us to see? KB got jumped by a fleet of fast battleships?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

dylguy90 posted:

Then again, Simo Hahya was 5'3", so I'm pretty sure context matters. In his case I'm sure being a tiny Finnish sprite probably helped him avoid getting hit.

Sure didn’t help him avoid a bullet to the face, though.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

mercenarynuker posted:

WoWS boats are only loosely based on their historical counterparts, and WoWS game mechanics are only loosely based on how naval combat works in real life. Tell your friends to stay away from aircraft carriers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

alex314 posted:

What doesn't Grey want us to see? KB got jumped by a fleet of fast battleships?

we're going to get the same day's post over and over again for about six months, and then Grey catches us up with the Allies up about 2000 points for some reason

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Re; soldier height chat, I'm fairly sure short soldiers were preferable in certain tank and aircraft units (depending on the vehicle) where space was an issue.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

More, even. I'm sure his advocacy for PTSD research and treatment has saved far more lives than any of his battle exploits.

Yeah.

One thing that often gets missed in today's culture is that PTSD required significant political and social cache to get recognized. Keep in mind we're talking the immediate aftermath of the Vietnam war and still in an era where a lot of men are growing up in the manly man don't-talk-about-your-feelings mode of thinking. Before PTSD was conceptualized this was seen as an embarrassing weakness to hide rather than a problem to diagnose and treat. The other side of the coin is Psychology in this era is slowly climbing out of the depths of radical behaviorism and the proponents of that camp, still a force in the discipline, are also essentially aping "real men don't talk about feelings" as a valid model of understanding humanity.

If there hadn't been people advocating hard for PTSD's recognition, it probably wouldn't have happened at all.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Re; soldier height chat, I'm fairly sure short soldiers were preferable in certain tank and aircraft units (depending on the vehicle) where space was an issue.

I did watch a documentary that noted 90s Russian soldiers were on the whole getting too tall for their 70s tanks

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Conskill posted:

Yeah.

One thing that often gets missed in today's culture is that PTSD required significant political and social cache to get recognized. Keep in mind we're talking the immediate aftermath of the Vietnam war and still in an era where a lot of men are growing up in the manly man don't-talk-about-your-feelings mode of thinking. Before PTSD was conceptualized this was seen as an embarrassing weakness to hide rather than a problem to diagnose and treat. The other side of the coin is Psychology in this era is slowly climbing out of the depths of radical behaviorism and the proponents of that camp, still a force in the discipline, are also essentially aping "real men don't talk about feelings" as a valid model of understanding humanity.

If there hadn't been people advocating hard for PTSD's recognition, it probably wouldn't have happened at all.

In WW2, British bomber crewmen and officers who suffered what we now call PTSD were getting dishonourably discharged with their papers stamped LMF in big red letters

Meaning "Lack of Moral Fibre"

E: correction from wiki, it was somehow even worse:

quote:

A man classified in categories (i) or (ii) would lose his flying badge, "to prevent his getting a lucrative job as a pilot in civil life".[11][12] The service records of those classified LMF were stamped with large red "W" (for "waverer").[11] Officers would lose their commissions and be refused ground jobs in the RAF, while NCOs would be reduced to aircraftman second class and assigned menial tasks, such as latrine duty, for at least three months.[12] From 1944, men released as LMF could be called for the coal mines or drafted into the army.[11]

Class (i) was "medically fit", class (ii) was "medically unfit on nervous grounds", but even class (ii) didn't exist as a separate category until 1941. You'd just be called medically fit and malingerant

simplefish fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

dylguy90 posted:

This, combined with the fact that they never saw action, rules

Actually the more I think about this the more I begin to doubt the king's original motive for assembling this regiment

Actually holy poo poo I'm reading and this dude was so into big men he would accept them as gifts from other nations, what can you say, dude loved his bears.

Actually aside from Alexander this is probably the biggest gay success story I've ever read

Interestingly, his son (Frederick II “the Great”) was abused mercilessly by Frederick William for his affections to another man, whom the elder Prussian monarch had decapitated. (This was in contrast to one of Frederick II’s earlier paramours, who was merely sent into exile in an unpopular regiment.) Frederick William also had fourteen children with his wife, a distinct increase from Frederick II’s zero. I can only assume that the Soldier-King’s relationship with his sexuality was complicated.

Night10194 posted:

What a badass.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 20, 2017