Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I just checked out the SWCDX interface via a youtube video and while I'm sure it's not nearly the full depth, that makes me nostalgic for that kind of menu. :allears: I wonder what it was about the mid-90s and diagonally scrolling menu backgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dang it a few months before it ships, oh well it probably be worth it when it arrives. Be nice to use my original PS1 again, as it was near launch with the port on the back (used mostly for the old serial port Gameshark) but it stopped reading discs.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Rirse posted:

Dang it a few months before it ships, oh well it probably be worth it when it arrives. Be nice to use my original PS1 again, as it was near launch with the port on the back (used mostly for the old serial port Gameshark) but it stopped reading discs.

I ordered one of those too and pretty much keep forgetting about it. Can’t wait to be pleasantly surprised one day. Have to get a ps1 for it since the psOne I have doesn’t have the necessary port.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

I wonder what it was about the mid-90s and diagonally scrolling menu backgrounds.

There are something like 20 of those backgrounds to choose from, with things like floppy disks and skulls. You can also choose music or sound effects, change the logo color, change the icon style, change the window style, etc

e: I should really capture a video from my SWCDX & DX2, there's like nothing out there

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 18, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zamujasa posted:

I just checked out the SWCDX interface via a youtube video and while I'm sure it's not nearly the full depth, that makes me nostalgic for that kind of menu. :allears: I wonder what it was about the mid-90s and diagonally scrolling menu backgrounds.

If I recall right, heavy use of that effect comes from showing off technical chops on systems that had good support for either horizontal or vertical scrolling but not both at once, so making a smooth diagonal scrolling effect was kinda impressive. And then those early-mid 90s devices on the 16 bit consoles would continue to use the same effect even though it was a thing any half-awake programmer could do.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
How popular was the Playstation link cable? I remember only learning about it from the back of the Armored Core: Master of Arena jewel case, going on a hunt for one and finally finding it in the far corner of a game accessory shelf in Sears. I had fond memories of lugging borrowed CRTs, playing AC, Bushido Blade and maybe either Duke or Doom (I can't remember which shooter it was).

Were there any other titles worth playing that supported it? Was it all two-player only? Seems that No$PSX and PCSX-Reloaded (but not ReARMed) are the only emulators that support it, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

general chaos posted:

How popular was the Playstation link cable? I remember only learning about it from the back of the Armored Core: Master of Arena jewel case, going on a hunt for one and finally finding it in the far corner of a game accessory shelf in Sears. I had fond memories of lugging borrowed CRTs, playing AC, Bushido Blade and maybe either Duke or Doom (I can't remember which shooter it was).

Were there any other titles worth playing that supported it? Was it all two-player only? Seems that No$PSX and PCSX-Reloaded (but not ReARMed) are the only emulators that support it, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
I don't think it was hugely popular, due to the cost (in time and expense) of getting consoles, TVs and games together. I never saw any in-store, anyway.

There's a list of supported games on Wikipedia. Both Doom and Duke3D supported two-player link-up.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Kins posted:

I don't think it was hugely popular, due to the cost (in time and expense) of getting consoles, TVs and games together. I never saw any in-store, anyway.

Same. I don't recall hearing much about it back in the day, and it sounds like something where getting it all together and set up would outweigh the fun, unless you had some kind of permanent installation.

I can imagine it would have been popular in some university dorms, and maybe at places like resorts or fun centers, but nothing the average consumer could have found much benefit from.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Same. I don't recall hearing much about it back in the day, and it sounds like something where getting it all together and set up would outweigh the fun, unless you had some kind of permanent installation.
It looks like it's on the same level as Zelda Four Swords (the original GameCube version) where it's a colossal pain in the rear end but also sounds really cool to small child me.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It looks like it's on the same level as Zelda Four Swords (the original GameCube version) where it's a colossal pain in the rear end but also sounds really cool to small child me.

Oh I used to play Four Swords all the time on both the GBA and Gamecube. It was awesome. I wish Nintendo would make a online version of it for the Switch.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

There's also the iLink cable for the PS2 which had a tiny handful of games supporting it but they were some interesting things like making the Time Crisis games into actual arcade style set ups.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Man, I'm having all kinds of Framemeister sync issues with my Samsung KS7000 UHDTV. After being completely unable to find a sync setting for the Game Boy Player that didn't result in weird judder and/or glitches, I just ended up hooking the Framemeister back up to my older 1080p TV. Everything seems to be working fine on that screen, I'm not noticing any problems in the Mario Advance games I've been testing.

I don't remember having these issues on the 4K TV before, so maybe one of Samsung's recent firmware updates broke something.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh speaking of Time Crisis on PS2, does anyone know for sure if Time Crisis 2, Vampire Night, and Ninja Assault are the only PS2 light gun games compatible with a Guncon 1? All I could dig up was an old Digital Press forums post that said as much, and I'm determined to get the most out of my Trinitron before it dies one day.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They should all work with the Guncon 1 except for the bonus modes in Time Crisis 3 that use the dpad and extra button.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

1) Battle Arena Toshinden
2) Battle Arena Toshinden

GB Samurai Shodown owns, plus that soundtrack. :O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfBMyniq3d4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX4yFovwk4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb3LY0b2ueE

KoF'5, '96 and RBS are worth checking out on GB too. The graphics are all not so great but the music is good and impressively the controls and timing of the combos and special moves is very very close to the originals even if the graphics and animation don't keep up. KoF'96 is interesting for having some fun extra boss fights and endings depending on what team you play through it with. '95 is good in similar ways but doesn't have enough different music and backgrounds and stuff to make up for its small characters and lack of animation. '96 only made it outside of Japan to Europe with the subtitle "The Heat of Battle." For what they are they don't look so bad on a Super Game Boy either and have fun borders and such. :D

World Heroes 2 Jet and KoF'96 are the least common of these but I'd World Heroes 2 Jet is really cool and again, the soundtrack is super radical and has all the music intact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXH6rxP3BBk

Of course if you have a Neo Geo Pocket Color most of this information is useless. :)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Looks like my CSYNC RGB cable for the SNES is causing some slight image warping at the top of the screen. Not exactly a big enough problem for me to bother sending this cable back to the UK, but just one of those little annoying things you can't unsee once you've noticed it. :spergin:

edit: the image isn't quite centered properly either, but that's nothing that can't be fixed with some Framemeister settings.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 19, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey retrogame thread, who likes Christmas presents?

See, the thing is that I was out shopping today and then while waiting for someone I popped into my local overpriced retrogame store. And for some reason, they had a bunch of stuff that they never get in; games for 3do and Saturn. Apparently they didn't know how to price it since they just slapped a sticker on it and tossed them into the discount bin. The Saturn stuff wasn't really worth commenting on (though I might at some point).

Now here's the thing, I don't have a 3do and don't really want 3do games, but they didn't cost me much and I thought, I'll give them to someone who actually wants them. And that's where you come in. I have two 3do games (no, you don't get to know which ones) in a bubble envelope sitting next to me. The first person in the US who gives me a PM with a name and address to send them to gets them sent there. I have to go out again within an hour and the post office closes in a bit more than an hour. All I need is your address to put on this envelope and you get a Christmas present.

Any takers?

Edit - And they're gone. The rest of you will have to be content with burning your 3do games like savages.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 19, 2017

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
This question is probably pretty basic for most of you, but I'm gonna shoot anyway.

I've got an original NES that I basically only get out when my kids are on break from school, like now. Tried to fire it up this morning and I get no power at all. I've had power issues before and I thought it was probably the original AC adapter going bad, so I have a third party replacement. Now I'm not getting power from either the original or the replacement, so I'm wondering if it's the console itself.

How easy is this to either diagnose or fix? Should I just drop the $50 on a new used system? I've had this thing for around 30 years now so I'd be sad to just dump it in the trash.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Devo posted:

This question is probably pretty basic for most of you, but I'm gonna shoot anyway.

I've got an original NES that I basically only get out when my kids are on break from school, like now. Tried to fire it up this morning and I get no power at all. I've had power issues before and I thought it was probably the original AC adapter going bad, so I have a third party replacement. Now I'm not getting power from either the original or the replacement, so I'm wondering if it's the console itself.

How easy is this to either diagnose or fix? Should I just drop the $50 on a new used system? I've had this thing for around 30 years now so I'd be sad to just dump it in the trash.

I don't know if there was anything specific with the NES (like a fuse or something), but opening it up and seeing if any of the capacitors leaked would probably be a good start.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TVs Ian posted:

I don't know if there was anything specific with the NES (like a fuse or something), but opening it up and seeing if any of the capacitors leaked would probably be a good start.

While a bad capacitor isn't impossible, the NES was constructed before the flood of terrible electrolytic capacitors really got started. I'm more suspicious of the actual power connection just because that's a physical thing and it's possible to stress it. An easy test if you have a multimeter is to open up the NES, plus in the power supply, and then check the voltage between the two terminals on the board.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I don't think I have a multimeter, but I'll open it up here shortly and see if there's anything that looks suspicious. Maybe my neighbor has a multimeter or something.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I had two NESs that wouldn't power on and just desoldered the power supplies from those and soldered in ones from a pair that would power on but wouldn't read games.

It was a massive pain in the rear end and I cannot recommend doing this.

I'm sad I missed out on those 3Do games but my system broke a while ago so I'd have had no way to play them anyway. :sigh:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Elliotw2 posted:

They should all work with the Guncon 1 except for the bonus modes in Time Crisis 3 that use the dpad and extra button.

Thanks. Good to know since it's surprisingly hard to figure out what absolutely needs the extra buttons on the Guncon 2. I guess it's no longer cool to scan manuals, some of these games don't have an faq posted either, and YouTube reviewers tend to point out only the justifier/guncon divide when necessary.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Ran across this last night. I recall seeing some of these in my youth. The first Nintendo one (1986) doesn't have Super Mario for some odd reason.

https://imgur.com/a/gPEEe

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ofecks posted:

Ran across this last night. I recall seeing some of these in my youth. The first Nintendo one (1986) doesn't have Super Mario for some odd reason.

Most people will remember the Action Set which was the NES, Zapper, 2 controllers and Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt (Some may remember the Deluxe Set instead which came with R.O.B.). What originally came out however was the Control Deck which was just the NES and 2 controllers. It launched with 17 black box NES games. Most of which are on that catalog page. It wasn't until shortly after it was released that they started bundling it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Djarum posted:

Oh I used to play Four Swords all the time on both the GBA and Gamecube. It was awesome. I wish Nintendo would make a online version of it for the Switch.

True joy is getting five GameCubes together and playing Four Swords on five televisions. Best done at a party full of retro gaming nerds.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

the popular medical look?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Basically all the physical/electronic crossover games looked awesome to me as a kid (and still do)

in fact, for a while, I would regularly play a flash version of the dungeons and dragons electronic boardgame (which is kinda hunt the wumpus-oid), which was great

also, even in 198X dollars, $40 for a reconditioned pachinko machine? someone get me a time machine, stat

e: oh here it is: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/65416/flash-computer-labyrinth

ee: oh right that's why I stopped playing it, my browser chunks on flash games these days

hexwren fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 20, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

SONIC THE HEDGE HOG.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

d0s posted:

SONIC THE HEDGE HOG.

my good friend

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

d0s posted:

SONIC THE HEDGE HOG.

sonics iconic foe, the ghouls

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

loved that time sonic the hedge hog zapped the ghouls

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

loved that time sonic the hedge hog zapped the ghouls

Same

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
That's a Sonic 1 beta screen/mockup. It's easy to tell because they all say RING instead of RINGS.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

actually i hate this time

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I was re-watching Psych with the missus and I noticed this “nanny camera control” prop.

They put in work on that conversion.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

I know this isn't too terribly retro, but can anyone give any advice on where to pick up a couple of official PS2 controllers? I've already had to send back two purchased online that were advertised as official Sony Dualshocks, but they ended up being barely functional generics. One from Ebay and one from Amazon.

I've tried Craigslist, Goodwill, thrift/pawn shops, Facebook and all the usual retro suspects in my neighborhood with pretty much no luck. I'm kind of surprised how difficult it's been, as I picked up the PS2 controller I currently have a couple years ago for like $3. Granted, I live in a wasteland of people interested in anything that isn't the newest stuff out there. What little I do find is insanely overpriced - $40 for a controller that looks like someone tried to eat it.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 20, 2017

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Several Goblins posted:

I know this isn't too terribly retro, but can anyone give any advice on where to pick up a couple of official PS2 controllers? I've already had to send back two purchased online that were advertised as official Sony Dualshocks, but they ended up being barely functional generics. One from Ebay and one from Amazon.

I've tried Craigslist, Goodwill, thrift/pawn shops, Facebook and all the usual retro suspects in my neighborhood with pretty much no luck. I'm kind of surprised how difficult it's been, as I picked up the PS2 controller I currently have a couple years ago for like $3. Granted, I live in a wasteland of people interested in anything that isn't the newest stuff out there. What little I do find is insanely overpriced - $40 for a controller that looks like someone tried to eat it.

good luck, ps2 controllers were widely and aggressively bootlegged and some are very hard to tell from pictures. What I would do is order one from a Japanese seller on ebay (Japan is very strict about bootlegging Japanese products):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332485671062

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Well I finally beat Final Fantasy II on my NES mini. That game was a pain in the rear end.
I hated the leveling system and the amount of grinding. I guess the story was better than FF1? By the end I didn’t really care.

I’ve already started FF3 and it’s like a breath of fresh air. Yay jobs are back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/WWG/status/943244787745820672

:stare: