Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

married but discreet posted:

The trailer could of course be misleading but Sicario 2 looks like it has about the same degree of understanding of its predecessor as Jarhead 2 has of Jarhead 1.

Just watched Jarhead 2 trailer and holy poo poo :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The difference is that Jarhead 2 is completely unrelated to Jarhead in any way and is also a garbage, chump-change production all-around.

Sicario 2 actually looks really well shot, and is following the same crypto-fascist characters of the original.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Pretty much. Straight-2-DVD, folks.

Sure, Chief. :rolleyes:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I feel like Sicario without Emily Blunt is like...I can't think of a good pointed example, but the whole point is that Emily Blunt's character doesn't let you enjoy Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin murdering people.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
But here's the thing

I want to see Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro murdering people

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I do too but civilization depends on suppressing those impulses.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zzulu posted:

But here's the thing

I want to see Josh Brolin and Benicio Del Toro murdering people

:yeah: Sicario was loving great and one of my favorite movies. But that story from Blunt’s POV is over and now we move on to Brolin and Del Toro doing black ops murder of cartels and poo poo we got a hint of that in Sicario and now we’re going all in on it.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

porfiria posted:

I feel like Sicario without Emily Blunt is like...I can't think of a good pointed example, but the whole point is that Emily Blunt's character doesn't let you enjoy Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin murdering people.

It didn't prevent me from enjoying Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin from murdering Cartel thugs.

porfiria posted:

We'll make an exception for organized crime syndicates like the Cartels who leave decapitated children in droves on the side of the road in order to intimidate civilization.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

viral spiral posted:

It didn't prevent me from enjoying Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin from murdering Cartel thugs.

We'll make an exception for organized crime syndicates like the Cartels who leave decapitated children in droves on the side of the road in order to intimidate civilization.

Did you enjoy the part where BDT shot little kids in the head in order to intimidate his enemies?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

porfiria posted:

Did you enjoy the part where BDT shot little kids in the head in order to intimidate his enemies?

Yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

porfiria posted:

He also shot the wife. He’s a monster fighting monsters. At no point he’s painted as a hero.

Taylor is writing this one as well.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

porfiria posted:

If you need an audience surrogate to not allow you to enjoy murder, then you are tacitly enjoying murder. This is elementary genre theory. Blunt acts as an ideological safety valve, giving voice to the spectator's prefabricated objections while remaining fundamentally passive to the transgressions that they have, at least in part, come to enjoy.

Removing Blunt's character does not, in this context, actually make it easier for the spectator to enjoy the spectacle of death. Sure, some posters who found the first film "dull" are now more interested, but also, some posters who enjoyed the original film are made more uncomfortable that the ideological safety valve is gone. Just as Sicario ended with Blunt's tragic ineffectuality, Sicario 2 now takes for granted that there's no point for this character to exist anymore. The whole point of the original movie was that she accomplishes nothing, the fanatical war of the new American zealots rages on.

porfiria posted:

Suppressing the impulse to look is a bad thing. People should look at injustice. The problem is not impure thoughts, the problem is dominant ideology and the capacity for people to properly interpret.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He also shot the wife. He’s a monster fighting monsters. At no point he’s painted as a hero.

Taylor is writing this one as well.

Apparently in the original script he doesn't shoot the kids, which I believe Villeneuve changed. That's one of those things where it's kind of leading you by the nose but it's obviously the right choice. Doesn't give me a ton of faith in the sequel though.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

porfiria posted:

Apparently in the original script he doesn't shoot the kids, which I believe Villeneuve changed. That's one of those things where it's kind of leading you by the nose but it's obviously the right choice. Doesn't give me a ton of faith in the sequel though.

So you're admitting the change improved the film, yes?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

K. Waste posted:

On the other hand, a lot of the production design and cinematography is on point.

Gotta love the technicolor Fantasia shout-out.

This looks gorgeous. Plus that loving killer arrangement of Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies. I really hope they score this with his work (it would be a crime if they didn't). Tchaikovsky's stuff just builds and builds and builds and crashes over you like a wave

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

viral spiral posted:

I imagine there are many things in this world that go right over your head.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

viral spiral posted:

So you're admitting the change improved the film, yes?

Yes?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

So you enjoyed the scene, just like I did, to clarify.

I imagine there are many things in this world that go right over your head.

No, it didn't. I specifically (and only) made an exception for Cartel members; who are quite different than Palestinians being systemically exterminated by America's puppet apartheid state. But, do go on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

viral spiral posted:

You are dismal, and creepy.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

You are dismal, and creepy.

I like surprises in movies, what can I say?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

viral spiral posted:

I left enjoyment behind a long time ago, I can only appreciate.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I was pretty tepid on the idea of a Sicario sequel, especially one without Deakins or Villeneuve but that’s a pretty good trailer. It’s definitely concerning that it a surface reading seems like it wants you to be like gently caress Yeah but I also don’t think there’s anything in there explicitly counter to the theme of the original movie, the narration is all from Brolin’s shithead character and the overall vibe is definitely still ominous. I don’t remember the original movie’s trailer being explicit about its themes either but it’s been a while so I could be wrong.

I’m more optimistic than I was initially, the cinematography still looks p good

Edit: I am still super confused how/why Sicario, of all movies, was something the studio wants to turn into and market as a Saga. If it’s good I’m cool with it, but like, ???

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

viral spiral posted:

I like surprises in movies, what can I say?

Preferably nothing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I have a feeling that Nutcracker movie is going to be one of those films that makes like a billion dollars but nobody you know actually sees it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

married but discreet posted:

The trailer could of course be misleading but Sicario 2 looks like it has about the same degree of understanding of its predecessor as Jarhead 2 has of Jarhead 1.

Its directed by the guy who directed Gomorra. Thats a sign of quality right there.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Deakul posted:

Looks like rear end.

A gender swapped remake of a remake.

It's remakes all the way down.

why do you hate women?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

muscles like this! posted:

I have a feeling that Nutcracker movie is going to be one of those films that makes like a billion dollars but nobody you know actually sees it.

Yeah. Like how Beauty and the Beast was the top grossing film for like eight months this year.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Its directed by the guy who directed Gomorra. Thats a sign of quality right there.

A bunch of episodes of the TV series that I suppose spun off from the film. Matteo Garrone directed Gomorra.

Looking at Stefano Sollima's filmography, it looks like he does a lot of crime stuff though, so it's probably worth giving the film the benefit of the doubt.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Tiriganiaq posted:

It's based on a book from 2001 and Jackson is just producing. You can calm down.

The first thing I thought was that it's totally a remake of the short film in front of Monty Python's the Meaning Of Life: "The Crimson Permanent Assurance", where an insurance company building turns into a pirate ship and starts pillaging other buildings.
https://youtu.be/g_xnfQMSzXQ?t=76

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Considering the director is Jackson's main storyboard artist buddy who has never directed anything I'm guessing this will have a very Peter Jackson vibe regardless.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The trailer gave off Peter Jackson-y vibes already, and the movie looks very Peter Jackson-y.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I remember the books veering into some pretty drat dark territory.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Peter Jackson makes bad movies, except for Lord of the rings

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lord of the rings was a bad movie

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Jackson also produced Tintin which loving owned so v0v

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zzulu posted:

Exceptions are also made for movies involving Michael J Fox or lawnmowers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zzulu posted:

Heavenly Creatures is pretty good, man.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njBTqYXyjHc

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

^^ Oh god it looks so cheap and why do we have this instead of SG-1 Season 11 or Atlantis Season 6 or Universe Season 3?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

why do you hate women?

For the same reason that I hated the new Ghostbusters.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Peter Jackson hasn't done anything worth a poo poo since 1996.

The worst thing he ever did was make The Hobbit trilogy - not just because those movies were apparently poo poo (I refuse to ever watch them on general principle), but because he also lobbied the then right-wing government of New Zealand to drastically strip away the rights of film crews working in NZ based on claims that the actor's union (Actors' Equity NZ) were planning strike action on The Hobbit - something that was eventually proven to be untrue (and that Jackson was informed of this two days before he went public with the claims), although Jackson and Weta Digital's Richard Taylor still insist this is the case.

So gently caress him, he can go get hosed.

The fact that Taika Waititi is now the international face of New Zealand cinema, and not a oval office like Peter Jackson makes me glad.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 20, 2017

• Locked thread