Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What SSD would you guys recommend that's around 1tb for my ps4poor?

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

I forgot there were difficulty options. We chose the middle one, probably not a great idea since we were all fairly new to MH.

the difficulty is just a different monster to hunt

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bombadilillo posted:

Everybody try monster hunter.

Even if you tried it before and didn't like it. They have overhauled it with user friendliness in mind. It's still massive long fights. But the knowledge (and frankly bullshit)barrier to entry is so much better now.

this includes increasing the time limit?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The frame rate on MH World for PS4 Pro is pretty great. They give you all these Pro options when you boot it up and I chose frame rate, never saw a single dip.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Rinkles posted:

It's usually 50 minutes in the full game, it's basically never a concern. The demos always have short timers for whatever reason.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why is there a timer at all if it's never a concern?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Monster Hunter World is going to be the game that finally gets me to turn in my Destiny bundle PS4 for a pro. Looking at my snow white console just reminds me of that poo poo game and I'll be glad to be rid of it.

haveblue posted:

Why is there a timer at all if it's never a concern?

If you're poo poo at the game or play too cautiously it can be a concern. Some of the fights can take a lot of time.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rinkles posted:

The demo time limit is now what any of the real games had. I don't recall ever having time limit problems in the games.

They improved crafting, killed the gunner/swordmaster dichotomy, items auto combine on the fly now. You can eat and change weapons mid hunt. Your gear gives you bonuses in a not confusing way now. That kind of thing

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Well there have been some multi monster hunts where I've had to worry about it a little but those are rare

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah I never touched bow before and tried it on the expert monster. I had it limping when I ran out of the 20 min time. 50 minutes is plenty of time. If your doing bad enough to run out of time you are going to get killed.

I don't know why the timer still exists. Maybe to stop a real hit and run cheese strategy?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IDK its pretty pointless and a relic of the PS2 games. I think its just to encourage you to go back to town at least once an hour to save your game and repop the hunting zone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Monster Hunter World is going to have free hunting mode without a timer, and also the ability to stay out on the hunt after the mission timer ends.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

verbal enema posted:

I beat mgsv and I just don't know

yup :marc:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

omg chael crash posted:

The cheapest one you can find, something like a SanDisk Plus, Crucial MX300/MX500 or WD Blue SSD.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Woah so I basically ignored Far Cry 5 after getting kind of burned of 4 being a 3.5 game. I had fun but had enough of it. Played Wildlands, enjoyed it when it came out but traded it after beating the game.

Now I see the new trailer and I see they're going crazy with MGs mounted on a semi truck and that poo poo. God drat it, Monster Hunter and FC5 already on queue for 2018 :argh:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Monster Hunter World is going to have free hunting mode without a timer, and also the ability to stay out on the hunt after the mission timer ends.

The demo is a disservice to the game then its turning people off. More monsters for me i guess

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

omg chael crash posted:

None, since the regular PS4 can't even use the extra bus speed so an SSD is a frivolous upgrade at best.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

I played it at PSX and it's a very pretty game. The only thing was as soon as a countdown timer appeared on screen saying there was 10 minutes left in the demo, I immediately thought "Something tells me this monster we're fighting will go down in exactly 10 minutes". Sure enough, 10 minutes later of chasing this thing around and beating on it, queue the 5 second countdown. 1 second left, BEEP! Monster goes down. "Congrats guys, you defeated the monster". Sure, sure we did. I was just left wondering if the fights are supposed to last longer or something.

Actual fights are longer than in the demo (the monsters have health/damage/stagger thresholds heavily scaled down for the demo) but you also have 50 minutes instead of 20 which means there's much more time to do things besides just rush to kill/cap it, and there's more of a back and forth between the monster's normal/rage/tired states. if you're implying that it's scripted to make the monster die right before the timer runs out, it is not, people have finished every demo quest in under 5 minutes

The three quests are not difficulty options, they are separate quests that require killing a different monster to win and the second one is in a different area than the first/third

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I really liked Until Dawn, is Hidden Agenda any good?

I noticed its on sale, but also uses some weird cellphone app to control the game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Snuffman posted:

I really liked Until Dawn, is Hidden Agenda any good?

I noticed its on sale, but also uses some weird cellphone app to control the game.

It's really interesting and it's worth 15 bucks or so just to experience it. I would recommend getting 4 or more people together tho. Basically you dick around with a cop movie. There's an element of card gaming, voting, social manipulation...all of it kinda misses the mark but is still fun. More for like "I can't wait to see where this kind of thing goes".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's really interesting and it's worth 15 bucks or so just to experience it. I would recommend getting 4 or more people together tho. Basically you dick around with a cop movie. There's an element of card gaming, voting, social manipulation...all of it kinda misses the mark but is still fun. More for like "I can't wait to see where this kind of thing goes".

Just be warned that unlike UD, it is very clearly a budget title. The animation is much jankier and makes the uncanny valley effect much more pronounced and awkward. And while I have a soft spot for Katie Cassidy, the acting isn't nearly on the level. I kind of wish they had stuck with the horror genre tbh.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzz posted:

None, since the regular PS4 can't even use the extra bus speed so an SSD is a frivolous upgrade at best.

Bus speed isn't everything. It's pretty noticeable in terms of random access being much improved, which reduces pop in/texture loading times (and general loading times, of course). It is a frivolous upgrade though, you're right about that.

An SSHD (FireCuda, for example) might be a good middle ground: These combine a really terrible hard drive (shingled recording, the worst of the worst) with a tiny 8 GB SSD cache.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DrNutt posted:

Just be warned that unlike UD, it is very clearly a budget title. The animation is much jankier and makes the uncanny valley effect much more pronounced and awkward. And while I have a soft spot for Katie Cassidy, the acting isn't nearly on the level. I kind of wish they had stuck with the horror genre tbh.

Yeah it doesn't quite land. But it's cheap.

I really am genuinely excited about cheap mocap and cheap digital sets transforming this genre. It's fun.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Installing an SSD in your PS4 that costs more than the PS4 itself is pretty crazy. I'd focus more on size and reliability than speed unless you're going to die in a month and need to shave every second you can off load times. Here's a $100 2TB hard drive that Amazon has on sale for $65 on Prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRHTSK4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1 I've had it in my PS4 for about a year now and it's worked wonderfully.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

Oh sweet. The timer in the demo bugged the poo poo out of me, and not just because it was short. The hunts having a timer never made sense to me, and that definitely put me off from putting much time into it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

acksplode posted:

Installing an SSD in your PS4 that costs more than the PS4 itself is pretty crazy. I'd focus more on size and reliability than speed unless you're going to die in a month and need to shave every second you can off load times. Here's a $100 2TB hard drive that Amazon has on sale for $65 on Prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRHTSK4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1 I've had it in my PS4 for about a year now and it's worked wonderfully.

2nded. Even going to pro I'll take 2tb over faster loads. Had mine in my launch ps4 forever. Now it's in a pro.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

2nded. Even going to pro I'll take 2tb over faster loads. Had mine in my launch ps4 forever. Now it's in a pro.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna buy that hard drives. Even over the course of 60 hours, faster load times won't add up to be shorter than reinstalling the game I feel like playing, and my internet is pretty fast.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

Oh sweet. The timer in the demo bugged the poo poo out of me, and not just because it was short. The hunts having a timer never made sense to me, and that definitely put me off from putting much time into it.

Hunts having timer makes a ton of sense in terms of multiplayer.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
And at some point you have to start wondering if selling an original PS4 for a decent price and upgrading to a Pro is a better investment than upgrading just the HD.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

I don't agree at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

why's that?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Because it forces players to get good, as opposed to spending hours fumbling around trying to kill one monster. Monster Hunter is built around having coordinated teams with good communication.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TaurusOxford posted:

Because it forces players to get good, as opposed to spending hours fumbling around trying to kill one monster. Monster Hunter is built around having coordinated teams with good communication.
Which makes sense since it became famous for local multiplayer.

revolther
May 27, 2008
So it's really more of a monster hunter destiny from the sound of it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

I don't agree at all.

If I hook up with random pubbies, I know I'm not going to waste more than an hour if we all suck.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

well i've never really felt the need to communicate when playing with randos but yeah no one wants to spend an hour on a single hunt. not many multiplayer hunts take more than 15 or 20 minutes anyway, though having to find monsters on these big rear end new maps could drag that out :geno:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

revolther posted:

So it's really more of a monster hunter destiny from the sound of it.

There's really no reason for all this rage over Monster Hunter having time limits. The full game will give you MORE than enough time to kill a monster even if you aren't a pro team, and you will only kill monsters even faster as you hunt them more and more for parts to upgrade gear.

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I've never come close to the time limit hunting a single monster, and while the maps are bigger and more complicated in mhw, you can also fast travel between multiple camps dotted around the maps from anywhere now which makes it very quick to get around.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Also tracking is easier. You see the monster they are just on your map now. You can find them from tracks mechanically now too.

It's just there you you don't mess about. Still don't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

homeless snail posted:

If her name doesn't start with Qua they have seriously seriously hosed up

According to what I read the new Catherine's name is 'Rin', which adds 1000% more anime :getin: