Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

Not so much, really. The Hoth rebellion leadership explain the plan to everyone—even the medical droid knows

And a pilot mouths off a bit

There is no mutiny

The Rebellion is much better run than the Resistance, which seems to be a recurring theme in the sequels

Holdo's plan, not Holdo's arc. Her plan was to sacrifice lesser ships for long enough to allow the bulk of the people to escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

aware of dog posted:

The RLM review is out

They didn't like it

I don’t watch much of their reviews but what was the last movie they were generally all positive on?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

waffle inc... are you mad? you sound owned.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

trash person posted:

I don’t watch much of their reviews but what was the last movie they were generally all positive on?

A police training video about how to avoid being stabbed to death lol

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

sexpig by night posted:

Oh also on the "Luke wasn't really there foreshadow" topic, Luke's feet never disturb the dust to expose the bright red salt

More foreshadowing
When Rey and Kylo were force talking, Kylo said something along the lines "The effort to do this on your own would kill you."

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So does anyone else read TLJ as suggesting that the Throne Room sequence of Return of the Jedi is a Rashomon-esque falsity?

Still processing the film after having seen it today, but I wonder how far exactly we're meant to take the Man Who Shot Liberty Valance-esque legend-vs.-fact themes about Luke in the film.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 20, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

trash person posted:

In general? Blade Runner 2049. For Star Wars? The Force Awakens.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

That DICK! posted:

waffle inc... are you mad? you sound owned.

....what?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yes exactly my point is that This paints the actual Hoth snowspeeder assault as one that should have been called off, which is an interesting take

Johnson is asking: how much worse off is the rebellion for losing Dak and Hobby

The point of the Hoth battle was to slow down the empire so the transports could get away, which it did. I see what you're saying but it kind of feels like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

aware of dog posted:

A police training video about how to avoid being stabbed to death lol

TBF, Surviving Edged Weapons is pretty great..

"Ain't no scumbag in no ghetto is going to get the best of me".

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tender Bender posted:

The point of the Hoth battle was to slow down the empire so the transports could get away, which it did. I see what you're saying but it kind of feels like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Yeah those kind of were two different circumstances and as far as I can remember the speeders on Hoth weren't slaughtered to a man either. It was an operation that served it's purpose, unlike the battering ram battle where the speeders were too late and could not have destroyed the cannon (unless Finn killed himself doing it, and given the rest of the movie even that might not have worked. The speeder was literally melting around him.)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

Isn’t the point of the salt battle to slow down the empire so the dozen people or so can get away?

Also regardless of the plot, the two visually rhyme in a lot of ways that carries a deeper meaning than homage. Johnson purposefully echoed Hoth

Plus, Finn’s assault would have worked because the laser is the ID4 sequence. “Hello boys”, Finn could say to his former abductors, “I’m back!”

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 20, 2017

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

aware of dog posted:

The RLM review is out

They didn't like it

They mainly point out all the flaws everyone is familiar with. I think their take away was its not a mess but messy.

Their biggest point is more at the fandom of star wars. People freaking out about the trailers leading to unobtainable expectations. Then seeing it and hating it. Rushing out to argue about.

Next movie comes out and repeat cycle.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I would like to see some more one off new story Star Wars movies.

The trilogy format constrains their storylines into requiring epic elements. Really limits what kinds of stories they can do.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I thought the RLM prequel stuff all seemed pretty insightful though I could live without the running gag in that series being the abuse of prostitutes.

Why are their opinions bad tho ?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You are in luck. You should have one every two years for the next two hundred years.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Well I gotta wait to get past the Han Solo movie and IX. By then I will probably be so burned out on Star Wars I won't care anymore.

Is Disney planning on releasing one star wars movie every year for the foreseeable future?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Waffles Inc. posted:

Isn’t the point of the salt battle to slow down the empire so the dozen people or so can get away?

Also regardless of the plot, the two visually rhyme in a lot of ways that carries a deeper meaning than homage. Johnson purposefully echoed Hoth

Plus, Finn’s assault would have worked because the laser is the ID4 sequence. “Hello boys”, Finn could say to his former abductors, “I’m back!”

No they have the battle in order to try and take out the big gun so they'll be safe for at least a while, so their allies might come help them. I don't remember when exactly the outer rim allies fail to respond or whatever, but I think it was what got them to try and call off the speeder attack? They don't even try to run out the back of the mine until Luke shows up and makes his stand.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

kidkissinger posted:

I thought the RLM prequel stuff all seemed pretty insightful though I could live without the running gag in that series being the abuse of prostitutes.

Why are their opinions bad tho ?

Their prequel trilogy reviews are literally better than the prequels themselves. I don't see their opinions as "bad" so much as they represent the opinions of the subsection of fans who, if they were mind-wiped and made to watch it again, would hate RoTJ with the fiery passion of a thousand Hayden christensens all crying out in fury and being suddenly silenced.

It isn't that they're wrong, it's that they've lost so much of that joy that was the core of being a star wars fan. That recognition that star wars has always been a little dumb and a hint of mst3k is required to raise them from merely pretty good merchandise fodder to transcendent masterpieces.

In other words: the prequels broke them as they broke so many of us, but they never got over it.

BardoTheConsumer fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 20, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The major problem is not so much anything RLM did as everyone starting to say "You like the prequels? Here's a 90 minute essay proving they are bad."

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Their prequel trilogy reviews are literally better than the prequels themselves. I don't see their opinions as "bad" so much as they represent the opinions of the subsection of fans who, if they were mind-wiped and made to watch it again, would hate RoTJ with the fiery passion of a thousand Hayden christensens all crying out in fury and being suddenly silenced.

It isn't that they're wrong, it's that they've lost so much of that joy that was the core of being a star wars fan. That recognition that star wars has always been a little dumb and a hint of mst3k is required to raise them from merely pretty good merchandise fodder to transcendent masterpieces.

In other words: the prequels broke them as they broke so many of us, but they never got over it.

Star Wars was good up until the third act of RotJ though, that’s fair and true.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BardoTheConsumer posted:

RLM also became famous for their prequel reviews. So, now you got a lot of fans that see them as arbiter of if it was good or not. This is more on the fans though than on RLM being dicks about it.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

The major problem is not so much anything RLM did as everyone starting to say "You like the prequels? Here's a 90 minute essay proving they are bad."

Guilty as charged but I mostly tell people to watch them because they are uniquely good essays and I personally find them funny.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

No they have the battle in order to try and take out the big gun so they'll be safe for at least a while, so their allies might come help them. I don't remember when exactly the outer rim allies fail to respond or whatever, but I think it was what got them to try and call off the speeder attack? They don't even try to run out the back of the mine until Luke shows up and makes his stand.

I mean how in the weeds are we going to get? Stopping the Death Star buys them time, stopping the AT-ATs buys time

If you disagree with the idea that Johnson echoes Hoth in order to make a point about the folly of it, then disagree with that, not about the literal pedantic ways the battles are different

For instance, one is salt and one is snow!

Re RLM tho:

Apart from them being doing incredibly creepy kidnapping jokes as the framing mechanism for their reviews, theit prequel videos are “why doesn’t the resistance use light speed kamikaze, and other bad literary critique” but for actual hours

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 20, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The rlm prequels reviews are entertaining ever tho I don't agree with them.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Looking at the future of Star Wars. We got Solo and IX coming up and some unknown movie set to be released in 2020.

Probably going to be either a Kenobi movie or Bobba Fett movie.

Some totally new Rian Johnson trilogy.

Also a live action TV show coming out god drat.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They already made their 4 billion back too lol.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Star Wars was good up until the third act of RotJ though, that’s fair and true.

The space battle over the moon of Endor, the throne room confrontation between Luke, Vader and The Emperor, the ground battle between the Empire and the Rebels all take place in the third act. I can see you disliking 1/3 of those but all 3? What the poo poo man.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Deadulus posted:

Looking at the future of Star Wars. We got Solo and IX coming up and some unknown movie set to be released in 2020.

Some brand new Rian Johnson trilogy.

Also a live action TV show coming out god drat.

I'll frankly be shocked if the Han Solo movie is any good. I haven't been following it too closely but apparently the production has been a disaster.

Slash do we know what Johnson's role on the other trilogy is gonna be? I thought he'd be writer/director again but I saw somewhere else say he was just executive producing it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Deadulus posted:

I was up for an Obi Wan movie until TLJ, because what would it show that Luke in exile on Achi-To already has shown.

Like seriously, Luke in TLJ is basically Kenobi's arc post-prequels to ANH, even up to "if you strike me down..."

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

Waffles Inc. posted:

Apart from them being doing incredibly creepy kidnapping jokes as the framing mechanism for their reviews, theit prequel videos are “why doesn’t the resistance use light speed kamikaze, and other bad literary critique” but for actual hours

I disagree mostly because I can't think about him going on and on about a "proto-ghonist" for twenty minutes without bursting into laughter even now. The RLM prequel reviews were good and funny and contained some (relatively small) amount of really valuable film criticism.

Unfortunately it also broke the producers to the point where they can no longer enjoy star wars.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

aware of dog posted:

I'll frankly be shocked if the Han Solo movie is any good. I haven't been following it too closely but apparently the production has been a disaster.

Slash do we know what Johnson's role on the other trilogy is gonna be? I thought he'd be writer/director again but I saw somewhere else say he was just executive producing it.

From what has been heard about production, it sounds like the Solo movie is a train wreck. Started with co-directors, filmed like 90% of the movie. Studio saw footage which apparently was a lot of slack stick humor. Studio fired them after watching the footage. Ron Howard was brought in to fix it.

Also, emergency called in acting coaches to help the lead actors because they were so bad.

I don't know anything about the new Johnson trilogy other than its all new characters and story. Supposedly a complete disconnect from the Skywalker story line. Maybe they go back in time to do a trilogy on the religious war between the Sith and Jedi? They can get a lot of lightsaber duels in that way lol.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 20, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean how in the weeds are we going to get? Stopping the Death Star buys them time, stopping the AT-ATs buys time

If you disagree with the idea that Johnson echoes Hoth in order to make a point about the folly of it, then disagree with that, not about the literal pedantic ways the battles are different

Re RLM tho:

Sorry, I was only responding to the first line of your post. Didn't mean to come off as attacking your comparison.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

SHISHKABOB posted:

Sorry, I was only responding to the first line of your post. Didn't mean to come off as attacking your comparison.

Nah nah you’re good :hfive:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The original Star Wars movies are genuinely great cinema that have the appearance of schlock. These new movies are more the opposite.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Chaos option: Rian Johnson remakes the prequels :getin:

But yeah the Solo movie makes me sad cause a Star Wars movie by Phil Lord and Chris Miller sounds like it would be amazing.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

The original Star Wars movies are genuinely great cinema that have the appearance of schlock. These new movies are more the opposite.

I'm not so sure. I mean if you want back and saw ANH with our current jaded mindsets I'm not sure that it really holds up all that well.

I'm also incapable of testing this hypothesis because I love the movie too much. But I do believe that star wars has always been a little dumb and embracing that fact is a path to happiness.

That might just be my dad's influence because he went and saw the original theatrical release and literally hated it. But then he is more of a star trek guy.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I'm not so sure. I mean if you want back and saw ANH with our current jaded mindsets I'm not sure that it really holds up all that well.

I'm also incapable of testing this hypothesis because I love the movie too much. But I do believe that star wars has always been a little dumb and embracing that fact is a path to happiness.

That might just be my dad's influence because he went and saw the original theatrical release and literally hated it. But then he is more of a star trek guy.

I don't even remember the first time watching the original movies. Feels like I have also known them since birth.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean it's not pedantic to disagree with your idea by pointing out the premise is fundamentally flawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't remember if the cruiser was accelerating when Leia was in space. If it was she should have been 1000 miles behind it that's true.

• Locked thread