Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Nah, he was straight garbage in Star Trek Nemesis.

I can't blame Hardy for this when he had Ron Perlman backing him up and the character effects were so overdone that you didn't even notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Terrible direction and scripting is a helluva drug.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
Soiled Meat
Weirdly specific joke from the Onion

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Steve Yun posted:

Weirdly specific joke from the Onion

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/942589013646602241
https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/942651288570884096

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

bring back old gbs posted:

lmaoooo Elfen Lied. I gave it a shot because everybody was comparing is to Stranger Things. The first episode has some cool ideas with the psychic powers looking like giant invisible manifested animals or something, just tearing limbs off of guards as they get too close to the girl. It has some really strong Akira vibes, then it goes into tropey oversexualized anime so quick you don't even have time to make a :psyduck: face. It's the most jarring tonal shift. Anime is trash.

If you thought the tonal shifts in the anime were bad, the manga doubles down on that poo poo hard...and the epilogue also doubles down on a lot of the grosser relationships too. I'm a fan of the anime because the theme is amazing and there are a couple of good story bits but you always have to get around the harem and ecchi poo poo that plagues like 70% of the thing.

Also am I hallucinating or is the Zatanna concept casting Natalie Dormer?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Aces High posted:

Also am I hallucinating or is the Zatanna concept casting Natalie Dormer?

Yeah, and Constantine is obviously Ryan Gosling.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

wyoming posted:

It looks like British dude from The Guest to me

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I thought it was Dan Stevens, who already played Captain America.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

wyoming posted:

Uh, no. It's Dan Stevens.

Also, all of those designs are bad. It just goes to show that despite what the director says, that Power Rangers fan film was definitely not intended as satire.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

wyoming posted:

Not Dan Stevens?

e: lol holy poo poo

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yay I did it first

I wouldn't turn down another Keanu Constantine, on that note

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dont even fink about it posted:

I can't blame Hardy for this when he had Ron Perlman backing him up and the character effects were so overdone that you didn't even notice.

Perlman was horrible in it too and was in full not give a poo poo mode (not that I blame him). What a role. "I am not Shinzon." *walks away mumbling* "I am his viceroy." *mind rapes Troi* *disappears for most of the rest of the movie*

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Penpal posted:

Yay I did it first

I wouldn't turn down another Keanu Constantine, on that note

It absolutely should be him and Stormare as Satan.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Suppose that's right.
Totes looks like Gosling at the end of Bladerunner though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ghosthotel posted:

It's not really any kind of direct reference. The similarities begin and end at "Girl experimented on by government has psychic powers."

Which is enough of a subsubsubgenre in itself that Nickelodeon did it in the 90s.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Which is enough of a subsubsubgenre in itself that Nickelodeon did it in the 90s.

You just reminded me of one of my favorite clips which is Alex Mack being defeated by a vacuum cleaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_gfpkbgtQ&t=91s

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

feedmyleg posted:

It just goes to show that despite what the director says, that Power Rangers fan film was definitely not intended as satire.

Yeah it was 100% a proof-of-concept showreel to try and get a film deal. There were several hundred people who worked on it (including the actress who played Rita Repulsa in the TV show from '94 onwards) and the behind the scenes video is pretty insane. It wasn't just a fun video he threw together with some buddies one weekend, it was a full on production that took months of work and lots and lots of money.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Uh, no. It's Dan Stevens.

Also, all of those designs are bad. It just goes to show that despite what the director says, that Power Rangers fan film was definitely not intended as satire.

Joseph Kahn is a goddamned genius and we are poorer for him not making more films. POORER

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Huh the guy who wrote BVS and Justice League is writing Star Wars Episode 9

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Huh the guy who wrote BVS and Justice League is writing Star Wars Episode 9

Which guy? There were several

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Burkion posted:

Which guy? There were several

Terrio I believe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Can you really say he wrote Justice league anymore when Whedon essentially redid the whole thing and reshot %65 of the movie (mostly the talky parts)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I wish I could at least read the script Snyder filmed, if I can't see his full movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

I wish I could at least read the script Snyder filmed, if I can't see his full movie.

And maybe storyboards + classical paintings he was going put superheroes in.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

And maybe storyboards + classical paintings he was going put superheroes in.

That'd be neat.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

MacheteZombie posted:

Terrio I believe.

What are the odds of his script remaining mostly intact until release?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

What are the odds of his script remaining mostly intact until release?

Iirc it's already slated as a cowriter credit

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

Iirc it's already slated as a cowriter credit

Yeah, Abrams is co-writing it with him, like he did with Kasdan on Force Awakens.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Episode 9 was originally written by Rian Johnson, and then had rewrites done by the guy who wrote the Harry Potter play, before Abrams and Terrio took over.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

Episode 9 was originally written by Rian Johnson, and then had rewrites done by the guy who wrote the Harry Potter play, before Abrams and Terrio took over.

Johnson was said to be writing a story treatment at the same time he was announced to direct Episode VIII, but by all accounts, including his own, he never did it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Can you really say he wrote Justice league anymore when Whedon essentially redid the whole thing and reshot %65 of the movie (mostly the talky parts)

Do we actually know this though?

I haven't seen JL, don't even know if you're right and don't have strong opinions about Whedon or Snyder either way other than the poo poo Snyder tends to shoot is absolutely gorgeous to look at and never really got the hate for his films, at least stylistically.

I got so flatlined on DC's "universe building" that I never even mustered up the energy to give a poo poo about JL so I find myself wondering how much it matters who the gently caress directed it. I feel safe assuming that if Snyder had finished it, it would have at least achieved eye candy status if nothing else and I'll even grant BvS that much.

DC is just such a loving mess movie wise. I think they need a character that no one expects much from, like Marvel had with Iron Man, to really do something interesting but I'm not sure who that might be. Maybe Shazam will surprise us. I'd like to see someone take another shot at Green Lantern.

Who's a b lister for DC with breakthrough potential? I still say Plastic Man.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Do we actually know this though?

Not sure if that 65% is from any reputable source but there is very clearly a lot of reshoots and a lot of those did involve new scenes of exposition as well as what seemed like nearly all of Superman's stuff and a large portion of the finale (not necessarily the fighting but the dialogue with Stephen Wolf and the "save the Russians" side plot).

Some of the character/plot building in the early part as well as a good chunk of the action sequences were likely Snyder's but they largely put those building blocks in place to build toward a largely rewritten finale.

quote:

I liked the idea someone posted about the Atom directed by Edgar Wright.

I've actually been thinking of that specifically in terms of some of the complaints/praise DC and Marvel get respectively: I wonder if at least some of Marvel's success can be attributed to the fact that a lot of those characters have zero expectation behind them, whereas everyone has their own idea of what Superman and Batman should be like. Someone pointed out in the comic book thread that before Tony Stark was in the movies his character was that of an aloof dad, not the jokey guy we got, and I wonder if the fact that these characters were sort've known but not really helped them forge their own path.

Then again probably Superman and Batman and maybe Spider-Man would even fall into that trap. I don't think anyone has any expectations about any DC characters, except for the inevitable "Aquaman is kinda lame and talks to fish"

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally saw Guardians 2, not really a comic book movie guy (the industry & grotesque bubble fascinates me but I don't actually tend to watch the movies themselves) but it was entertaining.
Unlike 99% of Marvel quipping, the Guardians movies actually get laughs out of me. Maybe that's the Gunn touch?
I appreciated some of his darkly humorous touches, not all of the levity worked but considering it never works for me with the other Marvel movies or with RDJ, it was a lot better. Drax's nipples, Pacman, Kurt Russell being like "man we're gonna be the only ones in the universe, stop getting on my nerves!", the Zune, I'm Mary Poppins y'all, etc.
Honestly most of the character beats and development and story worked for me too, which is rarely the case with Marvel movies.
It's just that most of the action and fighting was just like, colorful gibberish for me? Outside of them doing little individual things, like Yondu slaughtering his crew. The final planet battle and a lot of the space battles just felt like, well, again, colorful gibberish. But that didn't actually seriously detract from it cuz everything else was dope and entertaining.
I was a little worried Sly would save Yondu, kinda cheapening his sacrifice. So I'm glad he didn't. Like I said, most of the levity didn't feel forced tho I wish they'd toned it down during Yondu's funeral. Try to just have a solemn loving human moment quill. I know you're only half human but poo poo, calling back the Hasslehoff story just felt like trying to have it both ways which felt cheap.
Kurt Russell was cool, though he kinda just becomes another CGI VILLAIN. Understandable though. At first I was kind of like, "Uhhh, why wouldn't Ego try to make his evil plan an easier pill for Quill to swallow? Like maybe your pitch shouldn't be like LOL ALSO I KILLED UR MOM. But then I realized, hey, it works, I mean he's a psychopathic megalomaniacal immortal, it's the kind of poo poo he'd say.

I think I might just stick to the Guardians movies (not really interested in seeing the characters outside of the movies, quipping along with Tony Stark or w/e dumb poo poo they end up doing in the next Avengers. The Gunn stamp is pretty much the only thing among DC/Marvel with any sign of originality and talent and it seems like they actually let him be a little bit of himself with these movies. Waaaaay better than Doctor Strange, which was the only other "recent" (relatively speaking) comic book movie I've seen.
Baby Groot I was initially leery of on some Porg/Minions type corporate cynicism but it retained enough of Gunn's black humor sensibilities to work. Really liked all of the characters. I appreciate that there's a Marvel movie where they have jokes about a hero getting a severed thumb somehow, throwing a bully to their death, etc. Even if it's just because that means there's a Marvel movie different enough from its peers to stand out as different. That has value to me. It's why I appreciated some aspects of BvS on a fever dream level.

Seaguy and Billy Bat were right...

been watching Happy!, incidentally. seems like a solid faithful adaptation of the Grant Morrison comic for the most part. Don't know how long they can stretch it though, surely not too many episodes/seasons. It's nice to have a comic book TV show I can tolerate other than Legion tho. Taylor of Neveldine/Taylor does not pull punches when it comes to the violence and gore, and the humor sticks the landing for the most part.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 20, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guy A. Person posted:

Not sure if that 65% is from any reputable source but there is very clearly a lot of reshoots and a lot of those did involve new scenes of exposition as well as what seemed like nearly all of Superman's stuff and a large portion of the finale (not necessarily the fighting but the dialogue with Stephen Wolf and the "save the Russians" side plot).

Some of the character/plot building in the early part as well as a good chunk of the action sequences were likely Snyder's but they largely put those building blocks in place to build toward a largely rewritten finale.

I liked the idea someone posted about the Atom directed by Edgar Wright.

I've actually been thinking of that specifically in terms of some of the complaints/praise DC and Marvel get respectively: I wonder if at least some of Marvel's success can be attributed to the fact that a lot of those characters have zero expectation behind them, whereas everyone has their own idea of what Superman and Batman should be like. Someone pointed out in the comic book thread that before Tony Stark was in the movies his character was that of an aloof dad, not the jokey guy we got, and I wonder if the fact that these characters were sort've known but not really helped them forge their own path.

Atom's a good idea as well as Booster Gold. Maybe Specter or Deadman could be cool.

I still think Aquaman could have been that sleeper breakout as well, similar to Iron Man, but they seem to have shot their wad with him on JL. Marvel did benefit from Iron Man coming out of loving nowhere and it did a great job setting a tone.

I don't know...

I'm not sure "not having expectations" is the key though, since Spiderman, X-Men and Batman did well with their films and lesser known stuff like Thor didn't automatically translate into a blockbuster, but probably having a lesser known property frees the director up a bit to pull off something good if they have a vision. I mean, loving Deadpool and Guardians came out and crushed everything. Like most things, it seems to come down to simply writing good poo poo and getting good actors to pull it off.

Funny how that works.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Timby posted:

Marvel's TV division literally cannot make references anymore to the movies. All the stuff from earlier shows (like all the Winter Soldier fallout in Agents of SHIELD, or "the big green guy" reference that's in, I think, Luke Cage) were written long before Kevin Feige's putsch.

But I though they existed just to advertise the movies? Why even have a TV division if they can't reference the movies?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

Atom's a good idea as well as Booster Gold. Maybe Specter or Deadman could be cool.

The original Specter would make a really really really awesome series if it was period, like Boardwalk Empire but with supernatural stuff.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

The original Specter would make a really really really awesome series if it was period, like Boardwalk Empire but with supernatural stuff.

Is a shame the Constantine show was canned after one season, they were actually building up towards the Spectre.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Charlz Guybon posted:

But I though they existed just to advertise the movies? Why even have a TV division if they can't reference the movies?

The same reason there is a movie division, to make money. The tv shows are much better off playing in their own corner of the Marvel universe, there is no need for them to constantly talk about the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh man, The Spectre as horror noir would be dooooooooope.

• Locked thread