Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Buy DOGECOIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Heard about this on NPR this morning. They say it was the NK. lol bitcoin is for dictators, pedos, and druggies.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

CountryMatters posted:

I think when people complain about rich people using charity for tax deductions it's more along the lines of them donating money to shady rear end charities like the charitable foundation for golf club lawn maintenance. Dunno how real that assumption is though

This might be a stupid question, but like I said before, my knowledge of US tax is limited (I put together a few 1040NR's once in a while), but don't they at least have to be registered charities with the IRS that run the risk of being audited?

Stefan Prodan posted:

They were the owner of the business, lol

Like I said, "it's not my money, but the company's." That rationalization is super-common.

Then I'll tell you about the tendency for self-employed people I've seen to buy new F-150's in Canada (seriously, a plurality of new vehicle purchases in Canada are Ford F-series) every two years and roll over the remaining debt to a new vehicle where it snowballs after a few years. Best part is there's a limit how much car interest expense you can deduct on a sole proprietorship.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mozi posted:

My one regret was not realizing years ago that people are stupider than Bitcoin is.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

:madmax:

Bitcoin cash just got put on coinbase and now the price of bitcoin is plumetting, number go....down?!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Bitcoin.com co-founder sells entire stash, calls it ‘virtually unusable’ as a currency
THE co-founder of one of the largest bitcoin websites has sold his entire stash, saying the currency is “virtually unusable”.

all the more bitcoins for us, thread friends!!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Bitcoin founder lost the keys to his thousands of wallets years ago. Too embarrassed to be seen in in the daylight. Likely victim of seppuku.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Mozi posted:

My one regret was not realizing years ago that people are stupider than Bitcoin is.

:yossame: :negative:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

:smug:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Bitcoin cash is now worth 10k maybe I guess? Who knows in this crazy totally fine world of crypto :fork:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Some shady insider action going on with today's Bcash ordeal.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

What is Bcash and what is the ordeal please and thank you

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

hmmxkrazee posted:

You think

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

You sure out-argued that gif

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

hmmxkrazee posted:

In crypto?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

hmmxkrazee posted:

Perish the thought.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

This guy is always posting about bitcoin, now wants you to report coinbase to the government. I thought the point of BTC was no government oversight??? https://twitter.com/haralabob/status/943288691664891904

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Let’s say I want to short bitcoin. As a non-institutional investor, what’s the best way to do this? Will I ever get my money out of an exchange if I short it and Bitcoin crashes?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ruggan posted:

Let’s say I want to short bitcoin. As a non-institutional investor, what’s the best way to do this? Will I ever get my money out of an exchange if I short it and Bitcoin crashes?

Sign up for Bitfinex, they let you short Bitcoin and do other forms of margin trading, and ride em cowboy :clint:

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Yea the calls to report Coinbase to the authorities are pretty ironic.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Sign up for Bitfinex, they let you short Bitcoin and do other forms of margin trading, and ride em cowboy :clint:

Can't you need a "Invitation code" now, laffo.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Drone_Fragger posted:

Can't you need a "Invitation code" now, laffo.

I guess he can try Binance but at that point I'd say Ruggan is 100% into "hold onto your butts" territory, good luck with whatever happens next

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

a cyberpunk goose posted:

What is Bcash and what is the ordeal please and thank you

From what I hear, the Coinbase operators supposedly bought a tonne of Bcash before quietly listing it on their exchange overnight. The price has gone up like 33%.

I really hope the rumours are true and Ripple makes it onto there next year. :pray:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mister Gubmint: we tried to make our own currency as a gently caress you to your dear self, but these Coinbase guys, they’re just not cool! Please punish them

Also, gently caress You, still

Sincerely, Mr. Bitcoins

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

so i just learned if you can put up 51% of the mining power you can basically make the blockchain do whatever you want
quantcum computers gonna kill bitcoins overnight, or maybe china already did and no one noticed

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

What the gently caress is happening at coinbase? :psyduck:

A MASSIVE wall of sell orders for Bitcoin Cash appeared

And this happened to the price

Then Coinbase cancelled all the orders

quote:

Update - All BCH books will enter cancel-only mode, and all existing orders will be cleared. While in cancel-only mode, no new orders will be accepted. We will post an update shortly.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I don't understand why the price jumped to $8,500 just because a bunch of sell orders appeared.
Who the gently caress was buying those expensive coins?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ruggan posted:

Where is the reserves? Wtf you think man.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

I don't understand why the price jumped to $8,500 just because a bunch of sell orders appeared.
Who the gently caress was buying those expensive coins?

scripts coded by people who became brain damaged from 150 degree ambient room temps caused by surrounding themselves with bitcoin crates filled with graphics cards near melting

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

What the gently caress is happening at coinbase? :psyduck:

A MASSIVE wall of sell orders for Bitcoin Cash appeared

And this happened to the price

Then Coinbase cancelled all the orders

I’m shocked they are manipulating the market for pogs.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Dairy Days posted:

so i just learned if you can put up 51% of the mining power you can basically make the blockchain do whatever you want
quantcum computers gonna kill bitcoins overnight, or maybe china already did and no one noticed

early November the bcash algo allowed miners to overclock the blocks and spit out a shitload of extra bcoins.

noteworthy was 60% of hash power migrated in unison from btc to bcash

:thunk:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Dairy Days posted:

scripts coded by people who became brain damaged from 150 degree ambient room temps caused by surrounding themselves with bitcoin crates filled with graphics cards near melting

:laffo: Coinbase has a "Buy BCH now!" button.
Apparently loads of people where clicking it without checking the price, which cleared out all the sell orders until there where all chipping away at that $8500 wall of orders.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Fanatic posted:

From what I hear, the Coinbase operators supposedly bought a tonne of Bcash before quietly listing it on their exchange overnight. The price has gone up like 33%.

I really hope the rumours are true and Ripple makes it onto there next year. :pray:

loving LOL

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

http://www.news.com.au/finance/mone...b763d40de824367

EVERYONE SELL YOUR BITCOINS!
BUY UP BITCOIN CASH NOW! BUY BUY BUY!
And then everyone cleared out Coinbase until there where just the $8500 coins left.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/mone...b763d40de824367

EVERYONE SELL YOUR BITCOINS!
BUY UP BITCOIN CASH NOW! BUY BUY BUY!
And then everyone cleared out Coinbase until there where just the $8500 coins left.

And to think only yesterday people were calling it Bitcoin Trash. :rolleye:

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Computer Serf posted:

early November the bcash algo allowed miners to overclock the blocks and spit out a shitload of extra bcoins.

noteworthy was 60% of hash power migrated in unison from btc to bcash

:thunk:

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/hashrate-btc-bch.html#3m

The entire Bitcoin network tanked, and there where like 260,000 unconfirmed transactions stuck in limbo :saddowns:
lol Imagine that happening with the Visa network. "sorry, you can't buy anything this week. Visa has all their infrastructure tied up in acquiring arcade tokens right now"

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/hashrate-btc-bch.html#3m

The entire Bitcoin network tanked, and there where like 260,000 unconfirmed transactions stuck in limbo :saddowns:
lol Imagine that happening with the Visa network. "sorry, you can't buy anything this week. Visa has all their infrastructure tied up in acquiring arcade tokens right now"

https://blockchain.info/unconfirmed-transactions
200k clogged butts is like the average

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape
it still is trash, it's just expensive trash