Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Cure 3 is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Memories of T12 prog and furious healers trying to get everybody to run around in a tight clump during bennu mayhem phase so we'd stay in range for Cure 3.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love the Beast Tribe quests. Not only does it keep all these enemy races from being cases of "always chaotic evil", all four of the groups I've interacted with have been super memorable.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

There's a fifth tribe as well that's crafter specific, but you barely need to be leveled at all in crafting to start them.

It takes a while, but the payoff for maxing your reputation with all five is a pretty great side quest series.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I already know about the Ixal.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Cure 3 is extremely excellent on anything which is a stack up.

Timing the Cure 3 on a stack up so that it goes off a split-second after the damage lands :discourse:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ixal is great for supplementing crafting but it's still going to be a grind. HW's crafting beast tribe is way better.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The worst thing about the Ixal quests is that you need to equip their gloves every time and craft under conditions like "no cross-class skills."

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I always liked the one tier of quests that would have different handicaps. So you turn in your 3 deliverables and want to start crafting the end item, and you're sitting there with no cross class, and -100CP.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ixals are very difficult for new crafters in terms of both having gear to do the crafts and the knowledge of crafting to do them.
I'd only recommend using them to level crafters up if you have a 60 or higher to just cheese them with a press or two.

or just wait until 4.2 and see how much easier they're making it.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I always liked the one tier of quests that would have different handicaps. So you turn in your 3 deliverables and want to start crafting the end item, and you're sitting there with no cross class, and -100CP.

Each craft only has one handicap, and you can dismiss the others by right-clicking on them. It's still a pain in the rear end, but it's manageable, and I was surprised by how easy the final tier crafts were, admittedly with a level 50 crafter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Potassium Problems posted:

Timing the Cure 3 on a stack up so that it goes off a split-second after the damage lands :discourse:

For the second vacuum wave on exfaust our whm would time the cure 3 so it hit right after the knockback. It's the best!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TBH I really liked the puzzle aspect of the Ixal stuff, the Moogle quests were too easy

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It was really fun when all the crafting debuffs stacked because you forgot to cancel the previous ones.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The puzzle of you got a poor at the wrong time so you get to talk to the item giver again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

homeless snail posted:

TBH I really liked the puzzle aspect of the Ixal stuff, the Moogle quests were just the right difficulty

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TFRazorsaw posted:

I love the Beast Tribe quests. Not only does it keep all these enemy races from being cases of "always chaotic evil", all four of the groups I've interacted with have been super memorable.

I wish there was more of that kind of interaction in the MSQ. Part of understanding why the Garleans are wrong and bad is knowing that there are good and friendly beastmen. They don't quite deserve to be genocided.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

Part of understanding why the Garleans are wrong and bad is knowing that there are good and friendly beastmen. They don't quite deserve to be genocided.
I guess their plan to drop a moon on eorzean subcontinent and kill everyone there as a solution to primal summonings suggests it in a way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I always enjoy how a big chunk of Eorzea-and-elsewhere's problems come form the fact that the vast majority of people are tremendous assholes who make their own problems.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, I think commuting genocide is wrong even if the whole race is “evil”.

But I wouldn’t say it’s absent in the main story. The Sylph storyline shows they’re all generally good and that the Touched sylphs are harmless as long as they’re left alone. And then the Limsa Lominsa leader whose name is impossible for me to spell basically admits that the beef the kobolds have with them is entirely justified.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Got vote kicked from a Rival Wings today because my teammate was mad I took the Brute Justice instead of him.

Reported him, got a quick and awesome response from a GM along with this gem:

Cool GM posted:

You definitely did the right thing by reporting this matter to us as every player has the right to become a giant robot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Martman posted:

Got vote kicked from a Rival Wings today because my teammate was mad I took the Brute Justice instead of him.

Reported him, got a quick and awesome response from a GM along with this gem:

Best GM ever.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

the Limsa Lominsa leader whose name is impossible for me to spell

Merlwyb :colbert:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The one I see people argue for is Gaius. Even the Garleans treat Nael's meteor plan like a weird pet project. And even Nael has the excuse that she got tempered. Considering Regula and Zenos, the big problem the Garleans have is that all of their generals get too wrapped up in personal stuff to finish their tasks and now there's an unstoppable god killer in their way.

ImpAtom posted:

I always enjoy how a big chunk of Eorzea-and-elsewhere's problems come form the fact that the vast majority of people are tremendous assholes who make their own problems.

It's so life like.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Potassium Problems posted:

Ok but

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

bloefhiswyn :smuggo:

i literally spelled this right on the first try please he;lp

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

SonicRulez posted:

The one I see people argue for is Gaius. Even the Garleans treat Nael's meteor plan like a weird pet project. And even Nael has the excuse that she got tempered. Considering Regula and Zenos, the big problem the Garleans have is that all of their generals get too wrapped up in personal stuff to finish their tasks and now there's an unstoppable god killer in their way.
Gaius sounds like some college student who read Nietzche for the first time, so I can see why he might be popular.
But I agree, I have no idea how are Garlean legions cooperating, because it really looks like they don't. Maybe Roman legions worked similarly, I don't know, but I think Garleans have technology required for fast long-distance communication and transportation, unlike Romans.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dwesa posted:

but I think Garleans have technology required for fast long-distance communication and transportation, unlike Romans.

They do. They have trains and I think everyone has Linkshells. And if they don't have linkshells for some reason they have Magitek walky-talkies 100%.

As for the Garleans I think the fact that they aren't united is what's really going to end up leading to their downfall. I think Gaius to date has been the guy closest to the party line with Garlemald in terms of subjugation and assimilation. Hydra was close, but he was enough of a pragmatist that he went his own way towards the end. Considering the emperor's scorched earth policy I get the sense that if Hydra had survived and gone back to Garlemald he'd have gotten in trouble for teaming with you, even though joining on the world's most proficient godslayer is probably a wise idea when one needs to slay some gods.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zenos at least understands we're in this for fun and was nice enough to give us an epic battle.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Omnicrom posted:

They do. They have trains and I think everyone has Linkshells. And if they don't have linkshells for some reason they have Magitek walky-talkies 100%.

Linkshells are magic. Garleans use radios, it comes up during one of the MSQ storylines.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dwesa posted:

Gaius sounds like some college student who read Nietzche for the first time, so I can see why he might be popular.

Gaius is popular because he sees Eorzeans as future citizens of the Empire that just need to get over their stupid god-worship habit, not as ignorant savages.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The Garleans have a combination of immense, prideful egos and a giant chip on their shoulder from the days where they were strongarmed by every other civilization in the world due to their lack of magic. Conquering the world is pretty much entirely a revenge move and they will absolutely not admit to themselves being wrong about anything because that would be admitting that they are the weaker race just like everyone else thought to begin with. I'll be really interested in a theoretical Garlean Expansion just to see what the average citizen is like and how they feel about their empire and stuff.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SonicRulez posted:

I wish there was more of that kind of interaction in the MSQ. Part of understanding why the Garleans are wrong and bad is knowing that there are good and friendly beastmen. They don't quite deserve to be genocided.

All of the friendly Beast Tribes are met during the story from HW onwards, though.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The Germans have a combination of immense, prideful egos and a giant chip on their shoulder from the days where they were strongarmed by every other European power due to their lack of an overseas empire. Conquering the world is pretty much entirely a revenge move and they will absolutely not admit to themselves being wrong about anything because that would be admitting that they are the weaker race just like everyone else thought to begin with. I'll be really interested in a theoretical Prussian Expansion just to see what the average citizen is like and how they feel about their empire and stuff.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
less poetically: it's really easy to easy to get into the heads of an expansionist power of that rough era (napoleonic france, unified germany) and declare some kind of mass national psychosis from the perspective of a 21st century liberal democracy, but people legitimately just had different value systems back then. it's as common in our world as it is in eorzea.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
even in translated form, reading german and british newspaper articles after the destruction of leuven is a goddamn trip, and also depressing as hell

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Even if you hate doing the missions, the ixali turn ins are pretty great. The stuff they ask for sold for like 500 gil hq on my server, especially alchemist and culinarian, and you can turn it in with any class(you can turn in the alchemist items but still complete the quest in a different class to get the experience chunk.)

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

My RDM hit 70! :toot:

The storyline for the job quests was really nice and I quite enjoyed my senpai and my little sister.

Now I get to go back to the decision I've been trying to make for 3 years now: White Mage or Astrologian for my healer.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

My RDM hit 70! :toot:

The storyline for the job quests was really nice and I quite enjoyed my senpai and my little sister.

Now I get to go back to the decision I've been trying to make for 3 years now: White Mage or Astrologian for my healer.

That's a tough one, and I've been struggling with it myself for roughly as long a time. I think I'm leaning more toward AST because I've been getting into D&D and AST's core mechanic of "roll a D6" scratches an itch I didn't know I had.

On the other hand, I'm a mediocre healer and WHM is essentially impossible to play badly if you've spent even a second reading your tooltips, whereas with AST you might mess up and actually run out of mana occasionally if you aren't paying attention so it's a toss-up I guess. All I know for sure is that I don't want to play SCH, which is of course the one healer I have at 70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Can I move a "y" and just call her Meryl for short?