Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06
Practically nothing needs to changed in the .bat files. I just had those instructions in there to remind people to review the .bat files in-case their setup or wants were significantly different then mine. For instance in your case you would probably want to change the payout currency to be LTC instead of BTC. The bulk of the work I did for this was reviewing the source code and testing the different algorithms. The profit reporting for Keccak is exteamly off btw so don't use that one.

The whole underlining pretense of this thread is don't spend hours doing a deep dive learning this stuff for burrito money. So I gave people an easy setup guide *shrug*. No, its not as easy as NicehashMiner, but its the best Algo switching program that is available and working right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012
Does anyone know why a gtx 1080 downclocks the ram when mining (does it on any miner)? My default ram speed is 5500, but if I start any miner it will drop to 4500. If I clock the ram to 5800 it will drop to 4800. Changing the core clock or power limit has no effect on it. Has anyone else mined with a 1080 and does yours do this too?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's (probably?) a market segmentation thing. Quadros and Teslas can keep P0 state for full clock speeds, but the consumer cards drop to P2 state under compute loads. The fix is editing the bios to make P2 state the same as P0, but with Pascal you can't flash edited bioses anymore. There have been workarounds that have forced P0 state, but they've relied on specific driver versions probably that allowed it because of a bug and not intentionally.

It's never explicitly marketed, but the higher clocks would help further differentiate performance between Quadros and Geforces even without specific driver optimizations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Destoration posted:

Does anyone know why a gtx 1080 downclocks the ram when mining (does it on any miner)? My default ram speed is 5500, but if I start any miner it will drop to 4500. If I clock the ram to 5800 it will drop to 4800. Changing the core clock or power limit has no effect on it. Has anyone else mined with a 1080 and does yours do this too?
Yes, at one point it worked just fine too. 1080ti is also affected

For a while I did what you did and OC'd heavily but I never got it truly stable that way. It sucks because it does directly relate to output

craig588 posted:

It's (probably?) a market segmentation thing. Quadros and Teslas can keep P0 state for full clock speeds, but the consumer cards drop to P2 state under compute loads. The fix is editing the bios to make P2 state the same as P0, but with Pascal you can't flash edited bioses anymore. There have been workarounds that have forced P0 state, but they've relied on specific driver versions probably that allowed it because of a bug and not intentionally.

It's never explicitly marketed, but the higher clocks would help further differentiate performance between Quadros and Geforces even without specific driver optimizations.

Thanks for the explanation for real, I gave up entirely on figuring this one out. It was by far the most frustration ive had with this whole experiment. You were the one who fixed it for me originally with nvidia inspector too, but those options are long gone now.

btw on my Cube Mix Plus (Chinese surface ripoff) my Intel 7y30 CPU mines $0.14 a day!!!

At 4.2 watts

I found the new shovel guys

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 19, 2017

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

craig588 posted:

1gnoirents posted:

Yes, at one point it worked just fine too. 1080ti is also affected

For a while I did what you did and OC'd heavily but I never got it truly stable that way. It sucks because it does directly relate to output

Thanks for the explanation for real, I gave up entirely on figuring this one out. It was by far the most frustration ive had with this whole experiment. You were the one who fixed it for me originally with nvidia inspector too, but those options are long gone now.

Thanks that makes sense now. Pushing a higher overclock doesn't really help it enough for me to run it at that 24/7. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the card before I was out of the exchange window.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Destoration posted:

Thanks that makes sense now. Pushing a higher overclock doesn't really help it enough for me to run it at that 24/7. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the card before I was out of the exchange window.

I should revise what I said, an (over)overclock on the memory completely worked but the issue was that when anything else hits the GPU it will just crash with its sudden extremely over the top memory clockspeed. I could get it to run if I set it and never even remote into the thing, but the moment I have to look at the computer by any method it fails.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
What would you say is a reasonable fee to build an 8 card GTX1070 mining rig for someone? I’d build and install the requisite software for whatever coin he wants. I see that people are selling them for $5800 which seems excessive, but I’m not sure. I don’t have a point of reference.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tehinternet posted:

What would you say is a reasonable fee to build an 8 card GTX1070 mining rig for someone? I’d build and install the requisite software for whatever coin he wants. I see that people are selling them for $5800 which seems excessive, but I’m not sure. I don’t have a point of reference.

Is the guy willing to pay you $5800? Charge him $5800.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tehinternet posted:

Twerk from Home posted:

Is the guy willing to pay you any ludicrous fee you can come up with? Do it.

The caveat is that you're going to be on the hook for everything and anything that goes wrong, which is why you charge a huge fee for it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Twerk from Home posted:

Is the guy willing to pay you $5800? Charge him $5800.

It would still be a better deal than the online stuff since I’d be installing the software as well.

I’m doing a capitalism?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Anyone investing money in this dumb hobby deserves what they get.

Rip him for every cent you can.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Stanley Pain posted:

The caveat is that you're going to be on the hook for everything and anything that goes wrong, which is why you charge a huge fee for it.

Wasn't some nerd murdered because they sold a regular person the Bitcoins? and said regular person somehow lost them and went back to the original nerd salesman, in a very angry way?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Twerk from Home posted:

Is the guy willing to pay you $5800? Charge him $15800.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

tehinternet posted:

cost * 1.33

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

tehinternet posted:

:stonk:

Stanley Pain posted:

This. You are going to be holding their hand then entire time as they navigate wallets, hacks, losing private keys, mining to the wrong address or missing the payment-id. Now just imagine a random piece of hardware fails, say a riser or pcie slot. You are now troubleshooting this for them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My old 7800 finally started giving me artifacts so I went ahead and replaced it with a 570, which was the only reasonably priced card out there at ~$240.

Running this thing through awesome miner and after tweaking the memory speeds and undervolting it a bit, and it says I'm earning ~$100 a month at the rate it's going. My benchmark for etherium put it at 22-23MH/s. Fan is keeping at a nice quiet 40% so it's not at all loud or anything and temps are keeping steady at 74c. It's actually quieter mining than my old 7800 was idling, but that is maybe due to the dust in the old card. Overall it seems pretty nice. Assuming I can run this for a about 3 months (when you include the cost of electricity) it'll have paid for itself.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Go into the AMD drivers, switch to workload to compute. You should at least have 24-25 on that card without modifying the memory timing straps.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Risky Bisquick posted:

Go into the AMD drivers, switch to workload to compute. You should at least have 24-25 on that card without modifying the memory timing straps.

Doing that bumped me up to 23.5-23.8.

I tried futzing with the memory speeds some more (not the timings though) and couldn't get it to run stable above 2100 MHZ

I guess I could undervolt it a bit less (it's at -100mV atm) and see if that helps with the stability, but I doubt I'll see to much more without flashing a new bios or loving with the timings unless there is a setting I missed.
Edit: Nope, still unstable even if I remove the undervolt entirely and go over 2100 MHZ for the memory.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 19, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Got a new rig online:

Three 1070 and a 1070ti that I pretty much got free. I even fit all 4 cards in the case with no risers... just had to rip parts of the case apart with pliers.

So, I turned up the power limits on all of them to the max, anyone have any general advice on what I should be trying with core/ram clocks if my electricity is super cheap? Just crank them up as high as I can or would that actually be counter-intuitive?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Start with whatever offset gets you to 2050MHz core under load and add 400MHz to the memory. Those seem to be good baseline overclock values for Pascal.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
looks like there was a large shift downwards on all the major coins, bitcoin, eth, litecoin and many more.

Such a stable currency of the future!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

looks like there was a large shift downwards on all the major coins, bitcoin, eth, litecoin and many more.

Such a stable currency of the future!

Probably because Bitcoin Cash is now tradable

People are selling to jump on the new HOT THING

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Fauxtool posted:

Clearly they were all being sold to buy the true Master Coin(tm)--BCH! Which is inexplicably up 24% today.

Honestly, I think "inexplicably" is about the only way to sum this whole thing up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

Clearly they were all being sold to buy the true Master Coin(tm)--BCH! Which is inexplicably up 24% today.

Honestly, I think "inexplicably" is about the only way to sum this whole thing up.

Life's a BCH, and then you mine.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if anyone is having odd stability issues with nvidia GPUs try installing CUDA, its not automatically installed with your normal drivers and it fixed all my stability issues with excavator

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
This is confusing the hell out of me, why do I suddenly have this in my account? I mean it looks like they just gave me free money but that sounds way too good to be true.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

This is confusing the hell out of me, why do I suddenly have this in my account? I mean it looks like they just gave me free money but that sounds way too good to be true.

Says the guy in the thread about turning electricity and spare GPU cycles into burritos for just pressing a button.

But in all seriousness, yeah, that's how it is--some dudes decided they didn't like how BTC was going, so they forked it onto their own deal. Everyone who had BTC now has the same amount of BTC (since they can't actually do anything to the original BTC chain), as well as this new BCH stuff, and some BTG stuff, too, because who wouldn't want three forks of the same thing?

The real question is going to be who is willing to honor the new stuff--presumably someone will, but for how much and how long is anyone's guess. Maybe it takes off and is worth something. Maybe enough people decide that forks are stupid and it evaporates. :iiam:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it's literally reddit drama: the coin

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

I was real mad about the fact that I had a bunch of bitcoins in August that I sold off to pay bills right before it went way up but I guess it wasn't a total loss after all, assuming I can actually cash this out before it crashes in price.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

MaxxBot posted:

I was real mad about the fact that I had a bunch of bitcoins in August that I sold off to pay bills right before it went way up but I guess it wasn't a total loss after all, assuming I can actually cash this out before it crashes in price.

Assuming you can actually cash this out at all.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

MaxxBot posted:

wow, way off...

EDIT: Just started catching up with Reddit.... guess I'm not the mastermind of bitcoin speculation as I thought I was...

Numinous fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 20, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You keep making the same mistake - you expect the crypto market to be rational

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

You keep making the same mistake - you expect the crypto market to be rational

Irrational or rational, this is awesome entertainment. Who would have thought that watching charts was this much fun.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

lmao it's already down 2/3 from when I made that post

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Got a new rig online:

Three 1070 and a 1070ti that I pretty much got free. I even fit all 4 cards in the case with no risers... just had to rip parts of the case apart with pliers.

So, I turned up the power limits on all of them to the max, anyone have any general advice on what I should be trying with core/ram clocks if my electricity is super cheap? Just crank them up as high as I can or would that actually be counter-intuitive?

Id modestly overclock them until they start hitting thermal limits from touching each other. Memory OC is probably most reasonable here, boost 3.0 will handle 97% of the OC you'd get out of that situation anyway

*by that I mean crank power limit and voltage offset as high as it will go but dont bother with the core itself and see if anything throttles

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 20, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Etherium seems like the best of the lovely crypto currencies since it clears in 15 seconds as opposed to the minute that the others do.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eth and litecoin are already back up to nearly pre drop levels from today. RIP bitcoin cash. It only existed to be traded back into coins people actually wanted

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

NiceHash is coming back tomorrow!

Dear miners:

Final checks are in progress and NiceHash.com platform will be back online and operational tomorrow, December 20, 2017 until 24.00 CET.

Hold your butts

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
My butts are made of D-grade beef and cheese! And carbs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Itd be nice if they rolled out a non bullshit plan to pay everybody back.

boy think how nice thatd be

• Locked thread