Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fnox
May 19, 2013

This happened yesterday, seems like English speaking international media is not paying much attention to it, but the Venezuelan government voided the passports of 130 kids who were in Maiquetia yesterday, as part of a humanitarian mission by an NGO to reunite them with their parents in Peru. They literally left the kids stranded in the airport and arrested the 4 women who were handling the whole thing and who were authorized to fly them there.

The justification so far seems to be that it is apparently illegal for minors to fly out without a legal guardian, the thing is, all of them had notarized permits from at least one of their parents allowing them to travel with the NGO workers. This is a well known procedure, going to summer camps abroad was very common back in the day, that requires the exact same permit and never resulted in kids being stranded on an airport, so it's all bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

fnox posted:

This happened yesterday, seems like English speaking international media is not paying much attention to it, but the Venezuelan government voided the passports of 130 kids who were in Maiquetia yesterday, as part of a humanitarian mission by an NGO to reunite them with their parents in Peru.

No, but Venezuelan hospitals made front page again today: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/17/world/americas/venezuela-children-starving.html

Also that car overpass in the first photo looks flimsy as gently caress.

Edit: After having read the article, god drat it's depressing. Venezuela looks like it's set to become the world's largest concentration camp.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 17, 2017

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

fnox posted:

This happened yesterday, seems like English speaking international media is not paying much attention to it, but the Venezuelan government voided the passports of 130 kids who were in Maiquetia yesterday, as part of a humanitarian mission by an NGO to reunite them with their parents in Peru. They literally left the kids stranded in the airport and arrested the 4 women who were handling the whole thing and who were authorized to fly them there.

The justification so far seems to be that it is apparently illegal for minors to fly out without a legal guardian, the thing is, all of them had notarized permits from at least one of their parents allowing them to travel with the NGO workers. This is a well known procedure, going to summer camps abroad was very common back in the day, that requires the exact same permit and never resulted in kids being stranded on an airport, so it's all bullshit.

I'm hearing that some 13 of the permits where fake, which is why they were stopped. This introduces a couple of questions:

1) If 13 of them where fake, what about the remainder of the children?

2) Under what capacity are they fake? It's no secret that the quickest and easiest way (as in, the only way at all) of getting any form of document in Venezuela is through bribery. Did they do that and it just so happened to be that whomever processed it was lazy and didn't go the extra mile to make the documents "genuine"?

The NGO people are under arrest, which would to a certain extent answer question 1 (apparently it's down's syndrome children or something to that effect, which may trigger some exceptions), but no word on 2. Don't think we'll ever get that answer.

P.S. Anyone know anything new on the Petro?

fnox
May 19, 2013

That's Tarek William Saab saying that there were fake permits. Still, the NGO claims they didn't actually handle any of the permits, those were handled by the parents, and knowing how things work there, it's very likely that they had to pay someone to even get this filed, which is where the supposed errors could have come from. In any case, it makes no sense to prevent all 130 children from leaving the country.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/status/942548716925411329

Guess the Russians have stopped taking IOUs.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

As a dictator it's important to line the pockets of the friends you are expecting to either help you massacre your people or provide you safe haven when you flee. Plus it'd gently caress over any new government by giving Russia some major leverage over them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So I hear everything is cool and fine in Venezuela, unlike what this evil propaganda story from the New York Times says.

Is it true what this friend of a friend says, that "Isayen Herrera, who co-authored this, writes for one of the leading fascist papers in Venezuela"?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So I hear everything is cool and fine in Venezuela, unlike what this evil propaganda story from the New York Times says.

Is it true what this friend of a friend says, that "Isayen Herrera, who co-authored this, writes for one of the leading fascist papers in Venezuela"?

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not, but no she is a writer for El Nacional which, if someone considers it fascist, is so outlandishly bullshit you should probably stop calling them a friend.

I really hope you’re missing a /s tag, but with idiots like Borneo Jimmy and Homework Explainer in this forum it’s really hard to tell.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 18, 2017

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Attorney General Tarek William Saab got into a Twitter fight over the weekend that makes Donald Trump look like a Nobel Prize winner.

A Twitter user named Esteban Gerbasi replied to one of Saab's tweets about the detention of the 130 children who were on their way to see their parents in Peru on Friday. Gerbasi called Saab "garbage from hell", to which Saab replied:

https://twitter.com/TarekWiliamSaab/status/942194077294096384

quote:

Coward... come here and say that threat that you've written from some toilet in Miami so I can split your face in two.

Another Twitter user replied to Saab's threat, asking if it constituted a violation of Venezuela's strict hate speech laws. Saab replied:

quote:

No buddy, a duel so I can beat the poo poo out of a coward who threatens me from abroad through Twitter is just that. Let him defend his threat to my face on a public sidewalk.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

One interesting thing to note is that De Zayas says that there is no humanitarian crisis, but he admits that "there are shortages, scarcity, and distribution delays, etc.”. In other words, everything that the opposition has been saying for years now about medicine, food, and infrastructure deficiencies is in fact true, but there's no humanitarian crisis. This sounds like a definitional issue. The UN is a huge bureaucracy largely in the business of ordering a world that has no order. You don't have to look very hard for examples of the UN failing to recognize some crisis, or deciding to take action only when it is too late.

To add to what Saladman said, El Nacional is a Venezuelan institution. It's the largest independent newspaper in the country still in existence. What your friend of a friend is doing is exactly what Trump does when he yells "FAKE NEWS!". When you discredit the source, you don't have to think about the content.

Does this friend of a friend dispute anything in the article? What about the other author, Meridith Kohut? Is she a fascist, too? Does this friend of a friend dispute the fact that the article took five months of research to put together? That it involved speaking to doctors in 21 public hospitals? Does this friend of a friend dispute the images or the stories in the article? If so, how? Waving your hand and saying "This is a fascist newspaper/author/publication/FAKE NEWS" is the easiest way to make things you don't agree with disappear.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

That attorney general acts just like a neonazi thug. Promptly resorts to physical violence.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I already imagine Saab has a mouth full of gold theath and a set of brass knuckles in his jacket if he is acting like that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Saladman posted:

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not, but no she is a writer for El Nacional which, if someone considers it fascist, is so outlandishly bullshit you should probably stop calling them a friend.

I really hope you’re missing a /s tag, but with idiots like Borneo Jimmy and Homework Explainer in this forum it’s really hard to tell.

Sorry if the sarcasm wasn't obvious. And not only is HomeEx in this forum, he's now a mod. :smithicide:

Chuck Boone posted:

One interesting thing to note is that De Zayas says that there is no humanitarian crisis, but he admits that "there are shortages, scarcity, and distribution delays, etc.”. In other words, everything that the opposition has been saying for years now about medicine, food, and infrastructure deficiencies is in fact true, but there's no humanitarian crisis. This sounds like a definitional issue. The UN is a huge bureaucracy largely in the business of ordering a world that has no order. You don't have to look very hard for examples of the UN failing to recognize some crisis, or deciding to take action only when it is too late.

To add to what Saladman said, El Nacional is a Venezuelan institution. It's the largest independent newspaper in the country still in existence. What your friend of a friend is doing is exactly what Trump does when he yells "FAKE NEWS!". When you discredit the source, you don't have to think about the content.

Does this friend of a friend dispute anything in the article? What about the other author, Meridith Kohut? Is she a fascist, too? Does this friend of a friend dispute the fact that the article took five months of research to put together? That it involved speaking to doctors in 21 public hospitals? Does this friend of a friend dispute the images or the stories in the article? If so, how? Waving your hand and saying "This is a fascist newspaper/author/publication/FAKE NEWS" is the easiest way to make things you don't agree with disappear.

Thanks for the details! I mean, she used to be my Facebook friend before I got tired of her for exactly this type of guilelessly assimilating anti-"Imperialist" propaganda, if I recall correctly (it's been years). My remaining friend is still not a lost cause, I hope. My immediate response was "should we take the word of a UN functionary who went over there for a visit or a 5-month expose following 21 hospitals?". She hasn't responded yet, we'll see how it goes.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
At approximately 2:30 AM yesterday morning, an unknown number of men in uniform approached a National Guard headquarters near Los Teques, Miranda state. The men were dressed in black uniforms and wore DGCIM patches that identified them as members of the army's counterintelligence unit. The men told the National Guard soldiers on duty at the front door that they were executing a search warrant on the premises, and the soldiers let the men in.

Once inside, the men subdued the soldiers inside the headquarters, tying their hands and placing them kneeling in a room. The men then proceeded to steal 26 AK-103 rifles and 108 magazines, as well as three 9 mm pistols and 67 9 mm bullets. Before making their exit, the attackers spray painted "ART. 350" and "LIBERTAD 350" on the walls of the headquarters. The "350" in the graffiti is in reference to article 350 of the Constitution, which establishes the duty to rebel against tyrannical rule.

Yesterday, Oscar Perez took responsibility for the attack on the headquarters. You might remember Perez as the renegade police officer the man who commandeered a helicopter to throw grenades and shoot at several government buildings in Caracas in late June.

The video below shows some of the graffiti on the headquarters's walls. The video was taken either by Perez himself or one of his men:

https://twitter.com/EquilibrioGV/status/942869527561244673

This YouTube video shows the operation as it took place. In the video, you can see Perez's men clearing the headquarters, subduing soldiers, stepping on pictures of Chavez and Maduro, and carrying off equipment. Here is the video, along with my translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJyzeyBUFY

quote:

[0:45 Mark]
Soldier #1 Hey! Look over here. Was anyone injured? Did we kill anyone? [Captured Soldier nods "no"] This was a clean operation, right? [Captured Soldier nods "yes"] Ok, we're all set here.

Soldier #2: Who are you with, the people or the Maduro regime?

Captured Soldier The people, man.

Soldier #1: You have to think about what you're doing, then. We have to defend the people, not those rats, those drug traffickers.

Soldier #2: The God of Israel's justice is here.

---------------------------------------

[1:20 Mark]

Soldier 1: ... with the people? Then why haven't you done anything about this? Why haven't you rebelled? People are starving. You yourselves are starving. I'm sure you're in your homes [unintelligible]. Why haven't you done anything?

Soldier 2: You have weapons and you have uniforms!

Soldier 1: Why do you keep defending these narco-dictators, this regime?

Soldier 2: These murderers! Drug traffickers! They're the real terrorists. You here are also culpable for all of these deaths, do you hear me? You're irresponsible!

Soldier 1: I want to know which one of you here has a refrigerator full of food at home. Any of you? [Unintelligible--it sounds like he's saying something like, "Which one of you has a home full of gifts for your kids this Christmas?] And how are your neighbours doing? So why aren't you doing anything about this mess?

Soldier 2: Is this the revolution that you're defending? The death of the people? All of these sick kids in hospitals? People don't have anything to eat. Even you are struggling. Have dignity, and honor the uniform that you are wearing. You're irresponsible. You're betraying the country for failing to act. This is happening to you not only because of what you've done, but also because what you've failed to do. Unlike the regime, we're not murderers. That's why you're here the way you are right now. Think about what you're doing.

[Turning to the camera] The people have the true power, not the regime. Not the drug traffickers who want to dominate us. They are millionaires, and you're starving. People are dying from sickness, crime, lack of education, lack of homes, lack of everything. May Almighty God and Jesus Christ help you and open your hearts.

This isn't the war. This is but a battle. Soon, we will win the war. We're doing this for you, do you hear me? So that Venezuela can be free!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Thanks for the details! I mean, she used to be my Facebook friend before I got tired of her for exactly this type of guilelessly assimilating anti-"Imperialist" propaganda, if I recall correctly (it's been years). My remaining friend is still not a lost cause, I hope. My immediate response was "should we take the word of a UN functionary who went over there for a visit or a 5-month expose following 21 hospitals?". She hasn't responded yet, we'll see how it goes.

No worries. The other thing to consider is that the two arguments may be true at the same time. It may be the case that there is no humanitarian crisis in Venezuela according to a strict UN definition, and also that there's a tremendous amount of suffering caused by the corruption and mismanagement of the Maduro regime which is directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds or thousands of people each year. Keep in mind that some of humanity's worst crimes (the Rwandan genocide and the Srebrenica massacre to name just two) happened while the UN twiddled its thumbs. A tragedy is still a tragedy even if it doesn't have the UN's seal of authenticity.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Perez is doing a good job making himself out to seem like a real-life Batman.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Saladman posted:

Perez is doing a good job making himself out to seem like a real-life Batman.

He's either going to be executed or become a future leader of Venezuela at this point.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Yeah, that video is pretty remarkable. Perez is obviously doing a good job at evading the authorities.

I remember that on June 27 (I said in an earlier post that it was the 28th--it was the 27th) when he stole that helicopter and started throwing grenades at the Supreme Court building, the country was frozen. Remember that this was at the height of the anti-government protests. People didn't know how to make sense of what was happening. Perez wanted to start a nation-wide insurrection, but the helicopter attack was such a bizarre chapter in this sad story that people genuinely didn't know what to think or how to react. There were even rumours that Perez was part of a government ploy to force the opposition leadership to join his insurrection so that they could then be eliminated as violent coupists.

Perez has been relatively quiet in recent weeks, but he's put out a handful of YouTube videos since June.

I think it's clear from the video that he's still trying to start an insurrection. The fact that he lectured the captured soldiers about how it's their duty to rebel against the regime makes that clear, I think.

I wonder when we'll see him next...

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The fact that he's evaded capture kind of does make it seem like he must have some support within the armed forces or something, but if there's a sizable amount of support for him you'd think they'd just overthrow the government already. That whole situation just seems bizarre, and I don't blame people for having conspiracy theories about what's going on there at all.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sinteres posted:

The fact that he's evaded capture kind of does make it seem like he must have some support within the armed forces or something, but if there's a sizable amount of support for him you'd think they'd just overthrow the government already. That whole situation just seems bizarre, and I don't blame people for having conspiracy theories about what's going on there at all.

A lot of Venezuelan posters have described how effectively the Chavez and Maduro administrations cultivated the support of the army and other instruments of the state through patronage. However that kind of graft also has the side-effect of degrading these organizations usefulness when they are needed to face outside threats. When promotion is decided by ideology or personal relationships, it degrades professionalism. When soldiers and police earn their living by shaking down grocery stores or smuggling, they have less interest in the hard-work of intelligence gathering needed to detect anti-government groups like that headed by Oscar Perez. This is one reason dictatorships will often appear most secure just before the fall, as the delicately balanced system of fear and graft holding the system together collapses.

Perez is playing a very savvy media game if nothing else. The way he emphasizes that he stands with the army while promising to violently stand against the colectivos is some deft rhetoric. I'm not sure of what to make of his religious statements. Venezuelans, do they have any obvious political connotations to you? Thus far we haven't seen much evidence that he has any substantial backing. I counted five men including Perez in the video. Clearly they have plenty of arms now, but what are they going to do with them? If Perez wants a national uprising I suspect he will have to organize it himself, and that's going to require his movement to scale up a lot from here, which will inevitably lead to bloody encounters with the police and army.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chuck Boone posted:

At approximately 2:30 AM yesterday morning, an unknown number of men in uniform approached a National Guard headquarters near Los Teques, Miranda state. The men were dressed in black uniforms and wore DGCIM patches that identified them as members of the army's counterintelligence unit. The men told the National Guard soldiers on duty at the front door that they were executing a search warrant on the premises, and the soldiers let the men in.

Once inside, the men subdued the soldiers inside the headquarters, tying their hands and placing them kneeling in a room. The men then proceeded to steal 26 AK-103 rifles and 108 magazines, as well as three 9 mm pistols and 67 9 mm bullets. Before making their exit, the attackers spray painted "ART. 350" and "LIBERTAD 350" on the walls of the headquarters. The "350" in the graffiti is in reference to article 350 of the Constitution, which establishes the duty to rebel against tyrannical rule.

Yesterday, Oscar Perez took responsibility for the attack on the headquarters. You might remember Perez as the renegade police officer the man who commandeered a helicopter to throw grenades and shoot at several government buildings in Caracas in late June.

The video below shows some of the graffiti on the headquarters's walls. The video was taken either by Perez himself or one of his men:

https://twitter.com/EquilibrioGV/status/942869527561244673

This YouTube video shows the operation as it took place. In the video, you can see Perez's men clearing the headquarters, subduing soldiers, stepping on pictures of Chavez and Maduro, and carrying off equipment. Here is the video, along with my translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMJyzeyBUFY

:suspense:

quote:

No worries. The other thing to consider is that the two arguments may be true at the same time. It may be the case that there is no humanitarian crisis in Venezuela according to a strict UN definition, and also that there's a tremendous amount of suffering caused by the corruption and mismanagement of the Maduro regime which is directly responsible for the deaths of hundreds or thousands of people each year. Keep in mind that some of humanity's worst crimes (the Rwandan genocide and the Srebrenica massacre to name just two) happened while the UN twiddled its thumbs. A tragedy is still a tragedy even if it doesn't have the UN's seal of authenticity.

Yeah, I can see that. I imagine this same person would be all about how corrupt the UN was if it were about a regime she didn't have a vested interest in apologizing for.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I can see that. I imagine this same person would be all about how corrupt the UN was if it were about a regime she didn't have a vested interest in apologizing for.

Bingo. The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights has been very vocal in his condemnation of the Maduro regime's brutal repression of political dissent all year, and that's pretty much how regime supporters have brushed him off.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Chuck Boone posted:

Bingo. The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights has been very vocal in his condemnation of the Maduro regime's brutal repression of political dissent all year, and that's pretty much how regime supporters have brushed him off.

LOL that's going to be fun to bring up if she ever does bother responding.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

Venezuelans, do they have any obvious political connotations to you?

Chavez used to make mention of Jesus in his speeches. I don't think he did it often (don't really remember, to be honest), but when he did he really went to town with it. At some point this lead to his wandering jews comment, which can be most charitably described as "peculiar".

Then after his death we had someone (Maduro, I think) announce that Chavez would be doing some reforms up in heaven (yeah, really) and rosaries with Chavez' face began popping up. Chavez statues also began being sold in santería type stores; and then there was the whole Maduro/bird incident, where Chavez possessed a bird to communicate with Maduro.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to communicate with this post. I guess it's that religion is not entirely and completely separate from at least Chavista politics, but I don't know how to make a coherent point with the information I have provided.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Furia posted:

Chavez used to make mention of Jesus in his speeches. I don't think he did it often (don't really remember, to be honest), but when he did he really went to town with it. At some point this lead to his wandering jews comment, which can be most charitably described as "peculiar".

Then after his death we had someone (Maduro, I think) announce that Chavez would be doing some reforms up in heaven (yeah, really) and rosaries with Chavez' face began popping up. Chavez statues also began being sold in santería type stores; and then there was the whole Maduro/bird incident, where Chavez possessed a bird to communicate with Maduro.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to communicate with this post. I guess it's that religion is not entirely and completely separate from at least Chavista politics, but I don't know how to make a coherent point with the information I have provided.

Religion was a big part of his speech for a while, until he had some arguments with the Venezuelan church representatives. He used to carry a cross necklace and take it out, kiss it and use it as a prop on his rants, back when he was trying to sell the new Constitution.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
If the UN isn’t recognizing a humanitarian crisis, my best guess as to why would be that crises of this scale aren’t so out of the ordinary in countries similar to Venezuela. Like, in that horrifying NYT article about starving children, the acute problem was on one hand that there was specifically a serious shortage of baby formula and medical supplies, and on the other hand that poor people had access to so little food that their children are abandoning their families in search for more. This kind of deprivation is something that can be found in the poorest strata in a lot of places, but that media tends to pay attention to quite selectively, focusing on whichever country has the best-selling crisis porn available at the time.

The political story in Venezuela is much more special, what with how political decisionmaking had made the effects of the dutch disease much worse (further reduced the relative profitability of investing in industry that would have made Venezuela more self-sufficient) and the ruling party has not managed the crisis proper any better (supporting demand with new money when it wasn’t profitable to answer the demand with increased production). And of course how they are going for a dictatorship in order to not lose power when they become unable to suppress people’s understanding of the scale of their failure.

I don’t buy the common implication that they refused international aid because dictators are vain and will go to any lengths to conceal their failures though. Accusing them of that is like the oldest trick in the book to paint foreign leaders as cartoonishly evil, incomparable to the regular human kind of evil most of the leaders we tolerate are. PSUV likely were genuinely trying to avoid becoming a western neocolonial subject, hosed up, and are becoming a russo-chinese one instead, but have to keep on that track regardless of results because everyone else hates their guts now. And whatever strings are attached to possible aid, well, it’s not like any of the powerful countries have a habit of letting human suffering get in the way of strongarming nations into advantageous business deals.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Furia posted:

the whole Maduro/bird incident, where Chavez possessed a bird to communicate with Maduro.

I really want this part broken down further.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Furia posted:

No I see where you are going. Goofy religious stuff is just normal from aspiring politicians :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just ate some christmas hallacas which was sad because every person involved in their making fled Venezuela in the past two years and never plan to return but very happy because holy moly they were delicious and so that knowledge will now be preserved.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Yesterday, the Constituent Assembly approved two measures that made headlines throughout the day. One measure restructured Caracas' administrative landscape, and the other took a step toward prohibiting opposition parties from participating in next year's presidential election. As you read on, please keep in mind that the in Venezuelan law Constituent Assemblies exist only to draft new constitutions, not to act as pseudo-legislatures because the government in power lost the legislative branch.

The first measure dissolved the Metropolitan District of Caracas. Up until yesterday, Caracas was divided into four municipalities, which were all located inside the boundaries of the capital district. The five municipalities each have a mayor, and the capital district did as well. The last capital district mayor was Antonio Ledezma, who is a leading opposition figure who escaped regime custody in November. Ali Mansour, who was left running the capital district after Ledezma was arrested in 2015, says that the government did not notify the city government about the dissolution, and that approximately 5,000 workers at the city have no lost their jobs. The opposition reaction to the measure so far ranges from indignation over the arbitrariness of the dissolution to outrage, since some view the measure as the government literally erasing opposition political positions from the map.

The second measure amends the requirements for political parties to participate in an election. The Constituent Assembly decided yesterday that in order for a political party to take part in a given election, it must have participated in the election immediately preceding it or else it must undergo an onerous and lengthy validation process. This is a direct response to Maduro's call on December 10 to ban any party that did not take part in the municipal election that day from participating in the presidential elections. The measure is complete nonsense even by Venezuela standards, since it in effect creates an obligation to participate in elections.

It just so happens that the biggest opposition parties--Accion Democratica (AD), Voluntad Popular (VP) and Primero Justicia (PJ) decided to not participate in the December 10 municipal election. It looks like the Constituent Assembly couldn't bring itself to outright banning them from taking part in the presidential election, so they came up with this convoluted way of throwing more obstacles in their way in order to "reward and strengthen" political participation in elections, as Constituent Assembly president Delcy Rodriguez put it.

Here's where things start to get really dumb: PJ is the party that is leading the highly controversial talks with the PSUV. The party has taken tons of flak from the rest of the opposition for its willingness to sit down with the regime. One of its negotiators, Luis Florido, said yesterday through his Twitter account that it was [url=http://www.el-nacional.com/noticias/politica/florido-paradojico-que-anc-anule-partidos-que-estamos-dialogo_216283"paradoxical"[/url] for the government to attack the opposition in this way--and PJ in particular--given their eagerness to negotiate.

uncop posted:

I don’t buy the common implication that they refused international aid because dictators are vain and will go to any lengths to conceal their failures though. Accusing them of that is like the oldest trick in the book to paint foreign leaders as cartoonishly evil, incomparable to the regular human kind of evil most of the leaders we tolerate are. PSUV likely were genuinely trying to avoid becoming a western neocolonial subject, hosed up, and are becoming a russo-chinese one instead, but have to keep on that track regardless of results because everyone else hates their guts now. And whatever strings are attached to possible aid, well, it’s not like any of the powerful countries have a habit of letting human suffering get in the way of strongarming nations into advantageous business deals.

I think that this is a fair assessment of the matter, but I want to suggest a couple of points to complicate this take:
  • The government refuses to admit that the country has serious, chronic problems in anything but the vaguest language. I've just spent about 5 minutes looking on Google for articles with combinations of the words "Maduro" and "PSUV" and "admits" to find instances when Maduro has admitted that there are flaws in the ways in which his government is running the country. I couldn't find any. Off the top of my head I can only remember about three or four occassions in the last few years in which Maduro or other high-ranking PSUV officials have admitted that maybe they've made mistakes. The PSUV and Madurismo are built on a myth that the party and the leader are not responsible for the crisis.
  • To add to the first point, another fundamental building block of the PSUV mythology is the concept of the "economic war". There are lots of examples of the government using this term because it is central to its world view. According to the government, a long and nebulous list of enemies is engaged in a grand conspiracy to sabotage the Venezuelan economy in order to overthrow Maduro. This list of enemies includes (but is not limited to) the United States, Spain, Colombia, Venezuelans abroad, the opposition, journalists, bloggers, academics, the business sector, and financial markets. The fact that the government places 100% of the blame for the crisis in the country on this "economic war" is, I think, evidence of an unwillingness to really solve the crisis. You can't begin to fix a problem if you refuse to ignore its cause.
  • Even if the government were really afraid of accepting international aid because of conditions attached, the government has also refused aid from individuals. Back in August of last year, footballer Dani Alves donated hepatitis C medicine to an NGO in the country. The government refused to clear the medicine through customs. There are other examples of the government cracking down on shipments of medicine and medical equipment sent by individuals, as was the case with campaigns launched by Venezuelans abroad to send aid to the country during the protests this year. If the government were really concerned about accepting aid under unfavourable conditions that might compromise its sovereignty, why would it also refuse aid from individuals? Instead, why would the government not take advantage of the large Venezuelan diaspora communities around the world and organize medicine drives and encourage and facilitate the transfer of aid from abroad into the country?

Barudak posted:

Just ate some christmas hallacas which was sad because every person involved in their making fled Venezuela in the past two years and never plan to return but very happy because holy moly they were delicious and so that knowledge will now be preserved.

Yes! We got our batch last week. I'm having my first one on Sunday!

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Barudak posted:

Here in Madrid you can now find Venezuelan restaurants loving EVERYWHERE. I have about 20 different ones that will deliver tequeños to my place, and just yesterday I went to the movies and the theater was offering tequeños alongside popcorns. It was a bit surreal. My English friend sent "neat" but I was flipping the gently caress out. TEQUEÑOS.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
https://sputniknews.com/military/201704061052354294-su30-jets-venezuela-russia/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
what on earth would they need fighter jets for

other than paying off Russia to keep backing them, of course

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

The Venezuelan Air Force already has a bunch. The latest purchase was in 2015, half a billion for 12. IDK why the military wants them, they could fit way more cocaine in a bomber like the Su-34.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Here in Madrid you can now find Venezuelan restaurants loving EVERYWHERE. I have about 20 different ones that will deliver tequeños to my place, and just yesterday I went to the movies and the theater was offering tequeños alongside popcorns. It was a bit surreal. My English friend sent "neat" but I was flipping the gently caress out. TEQUEÑOS.

I am extremely jealous of that movie theater.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

what on earth would they need fighter jets for

other than paying off Russia to keep backing them, of course

That and the fact any kind of international deal tends to be used to divert a percent of the reported Dollars for personal use...

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I just heard about an American friend currently in the midst of a worldwide trip saying that his Caribbean trip might involve a trip to Venezuela. I pointed out the zoo animal thing and I hope that was enough.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/944675013889875969

lmao

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I’m in Cuba right now watching TeleSur on TV and it’s showing a huge salsa party going on in Caracas. My Spanish is pretty lovely but from what I can gather from the ticker at the bottom, it looks like Colombia is being riven by assassinations and war, while America is falling apart at its core

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Saladman posted:

I’m in Cuba right now watching TeleSur on TV and it’s showing a huge salsa party going on in Caracas. My Spanish is pretty lovely but from what I can gather from the ticker at the bottom, it looks like Colombia is being riven by assassinations and war, while America is falling apart at its core

Getting harder and harder to disagree, although I think things in Colombia have got a lot better.

fnox
May 19, 2013

And Canada expelled the Venezuelan ambassador and chargé d’affaires in retaliation. I still find it incredible that the US hasn't done so yet.

Saladman posted:

I'm in Cuba right now watching TeleSur on TV and it's showing a huge salsa party going on in Caracas. My Spanish is pretty lovely but from what I can gather from the ticker at the bottom, it looks like Colombia is being riven by assassinations and war, while America is falling apart at its core

From what I've heard from people I know that live in Caracas, this was the most silent Christmas Eve they've ever witnessed. No fireworks, no music, not even Christmas decorations. Several cities had power outages during the entire day.

fnox fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It has to be really weird to be in Caracas at New year's Eve and not have your eardrums explode while you wonder when you walked into a war zone. poo poo was insane with the fireworks.