Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Because it forces players to get good

I'm not seeing it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not seeing it tbh

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Some people are just huge babies whenever there's a time limit of any kind, no matter how lenient it is. :shrug: These people generally also hate Majora's Mask.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the timer wouldn't stop me from playing the game. I just don't understand why it's there and the explanation that it makes you play better isn't convincing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm on board Day 1.

Awesome to have something to sink my teeth into in the absence of a new Miyazaki game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It always bothered me that Mario games had time limits

Edit: And they were even worse in Sonic games!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lives and time limits in old games were just the vestigial remnants of arcade machines

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's not complicated, if you are too bad to kill a monster in 50 minutes then you won't win until you can do it. in practice it rarely matters since you have to be either playing the game very strangely (probably what it's meant to prevent) or be in an extremely weird skill range to lose because you ran out of time and not because you triple carted

Olive! posted:

Some people are just huge babies whenever there's a time limit of any kind, no matter how lenient it is. :shrug: These people generally also hate Majora's Mask.

I hate majora's mask but love pikmin and monster hunter

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 20, 2017

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Olive! posted:

I love Majora's Mask, I'm not against things ever having time limits. I just think that Monster Hunter's time limit makes no sense and shouldn't be there. It adds nothing to the game.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

the timer wouldn't stop me from playing the game. I just don't understand why it's there and the explanation that it makes you play better isn't convincing

Well what explanation do you want? Capcom is terrible at game design?

Here's some explanations courtesy of Reddit:

quote:

The time limit exists to prevent you from taking 9 million years to kill the monster because you never upgraded your weapon or forgot whetstones or have no healing items and run back to camp to heal constantly. Maps in previous games were much smaller and less complex than in World, so 50 minutes was more than enough time to explore the whole area and then kill the monster with time to spare.

quote:

Ya it's a cheese thing. Without a time limit you could essentially gather double the healing items in a mission, take pot shots safely the entire time without a worry. Plus its also a good way to add some difficulty and urgency.
You either fly into combat and die, stay back and time out, or get better to avoid death and deal heavy damage to kill it fast enough.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

hi does anybody know if okami HD lets you speed up text in cutscenes? I read somewhere that cutscenes are skippable entirely now but I can't figure out if you can also just speed up the text. I'm thinking about picking it up again because I never beat it years ago but I might be more hesitant if I have to deal with that excruciatingly slow text speed again

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Which would be better, visible timers or hidden enrage meters

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

monhun time limits are a case of 'saving the player from themselves', if you ever actually hit it it's the game putting you out of your misery and giving you a sign that you need to drastically change something about what you're doing

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I killed the tree in dark souls 3. I felt accomplished. I proceeded to get murdered by some k Igor last a swamp full of crabs and now I’m back to dying to everything.

God I love this game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

According to what I read the new Catherine's name is 'Rin', which adds 1000% more anime :getin:
This is acceptable

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean if someone wanted to make the argument that its conceptually similar to a MMO enrage timer I'm not gonna disagree too hard, except enrage timers are usually around 10 minutes instead of an hour cause no one wants to ineffectually plink away at a monster for that long. I definitely don't think that's the design rationale behind it though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Well what explanation do you want? Capcom is terrible at game design?

Here's some explanations courtesy of Reddit:

you seem kinda defensive about this but I'm not trying to poo poo on this game. those explanations are pretty much what was said before, and no I still don't agree that the timer is necessary. if the only thing that would change if they removed the timer is that some people would be able to cheese a fight if they spent an extra hour on it, I don't see the problem with it

do you like the timer and think it's a compelling feature that enhances the experience? if so that's cool, tho I disagree. if you're just defending it because you think I'm calling the game bad or w/e then that's not what's happening

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The best implementation of the timer in a hunting action game was in that bad Final Fantasy one. Instead of having a cart limit it just took time off your timer when someone died.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Monster Hunter is a huge timesink for me, and the timer helps me manage my time playing it.

The longest one mission can possibly take fits inside an hour. Even if I'm attempting something challenging.

When I was playing MHGen for the first time, I actually hit the time limit several times. Replaying it recently, I've never come close.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I don't care if someone takes 5 hours cheesing and running away a bunch. But I do if I'm multiplaying with them. And since there's jump in multiplayer...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

you seem kinda defensive about this but I'm not trying to poo poo on this game. those explanations are pretty much what was said before, and no I still don't agree that the timer is necessary. if the only thing that would change if they removed the timer is that some people would be able to cheese a fight if they spent an extra hour on it, I don't see the problem with it

do you like the timer and think it's a compelling feature that enhances the experience? if so that's cool, tho I disagree. if you're just defending it because you think I'm calling the game bad or w/e then that's not what's happening

I'm not trying to be defensive, but this thread has explained to death that the timer is the most lenient thing ever for any gamer that isn't brain-dead or has never touched a controller in their life. I'm pretty sure that you are not either of those things so it just seems like you're complaining about a game mechanic that will never even affect you.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

romanowski posted:

hi does anybody know if okami HD lets you speed up text in cutscenes? I read somewhere that cutscenes are skippable entirely now but I can't figure out if you can also just speed up the text. I'm thinking about picking it up again because I never beat it years ago but I might be more hesitant if I have to deal with that excruciatingly slow text speed again

On PC you can skip all cutscenes - even the intro - and fast forward all dialogue but I dunno if that's on consoles too. It'd be mad stupid if it weren't but we've seen dumber things happening.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm not trying to be defensive, but this thread has explained to death that the timer is the most lenient thing ever for any gamer that isn't brain-dead or has never touched a controller in their life. I'm pretty sure that you are not either of those things so it just seems like you're complaining about a game mechanic that will never even affect you.

that's why I'm questioning it tho. if it doesn't affect anyone except people that are really bad... why is it there? people constantly saying you'll never run into it is part of why it seems pointless

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's why I'm questioning it tho. if it doesn't affect anyone except people that are really bad... why is it there? people constantly saying you'll never run into it is part of why it seems pointless

It's to keep you from playing super duper extra cheese. It's a multiplayer heavy game. It's the tiniest bit of forcing you to play right.

Only it's not like round timers in xcom 2 that affect most people. This just affect the most side case people.
https://youtu.be/7L8vAGGitr8
It's this

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

You literally answered your own question: It's there for the people that are really bad. Monster Hunter, even played efficiently, is a game that demands a time investment. People don't want their time wasted by some guy who can't play the game properly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one guy not playing properly isn't gonna stop you from beating a quest in anything and either way you're still wasting an hour :v: it can also save time by letting you whittle down a monster without running into the time limit several times if you're really bad (as can happen in the beta). I don't think cheesing a fight is a problem either

yea, no, I don't think you're gonna convince me on this so I'll just drop it. agree to disagree

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

one guy not playing properly isn't gonna stop you from beating a quest in anything and either way you're still wasting an hour :v: it can also save time by letting you whittle down a monster without running into the time limit several times if you're really bad (as can happen in the beta). I don't think cheesing a fight is a problem either

yea, no, I don't think you're gonna convince me on this so I'll just drop it. agree to disagree

Yeah he can.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Can you just not abandon quests in multiplayer sessions or something? A timer seems like a really hacky, inelegant solution to the problem of bad party members wasting your time.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

one guy not playing properly isn't gonna stop you from beating a quest in anything

As someone who was once that player back during my early days of playing MHTri, I can assure you you're wrong. It's not even about being able to finish. Like I said before, MH is a time investment. People want to kill monsters as fast as possible cause there's a good possibility you may have to kill them 10-20 times just to get enough/rare materials needed for gear. Nobody wants hunts needlessly lengthened because one guy sucks.

King of Solomon posted:

Can you just not abandon quests in multiplayer sessions or something? A timer seems like a really hacky, inelegant solution to the problem of bad party members wasting your time.

You can easily quit a MP session whenever you want.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

You can. But also monhun doesn't have life bars, and before this game damage numbers, so for new/bad players it can be not entirely clear how close you are to actually beating the monster. Being able to intuit what state the monster is in and how much longer you'll have to fight it is like the #1 skill in monhun.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TaurusOxford posted:

You can easily quit a MP session whenever you want.

So why does the timer matter? If you recognize that your time is being wasted by someone that doesn't know what they're doing and there's no way to communicate with that player how to hunt more effectively, just drop out.

homeless snail posted:

You can. But also monhun doesn't have life bars, and before this game damage numbers, so for new/bad players it can be not entirely clear how close you are to actually beating the monster. Being able to intuit what state the monster is in and how much longer you'll have to fight it is like the #1 skill in monhun.

We're discussing the issue of other players wasting your time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

And I'm discussing why they waste their time. :confused:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

So why does the timer matter? If you recognize that your time is being wasted by someone that doesn't know what they're doing and there's no way to communicate with that player how to hunt more effectively, just drop out.

Because if the game inherently makes that playstyle impossible you don't have to waste your time on bullshit.

You want a free-market solution to a problem that's already regulated and doesn't hurt anybody.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Question on streaming to YouTube from my PS4. I regularly stream my GT Sport play. Mostly as an easy replay feature. Usually though I get a handful of viewers and they are often active in chat.

Is there a way or an app that will let me view just the live chat from my stream on my phone without streaming the video back that I’m actually playing in real life since that eats a bunch of bandwidth for no reason?

Reading and replying to chat is annoying on PS4 and once I stop the stream the chats are gone.

I guess I could view my own livestream on the YouTube app and just pause the stream on the phone but I feel like that still eats bandwidth caching the live video.

Surely someone has solved this problem?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I literally never saw anyone even mention the presence of timers in monster hunter anywhere on the internet before a month ago, and everything I've seen about them since then has been this thread specifically getting weirdly hung up on them. I'm not a huge fan of them for the most part but it's very strange

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

I literally never saw anyone even mention the presence of timers in monster hunter anywhere on the internet before a month ago, and everything I've seen about them since then has been this thread specifically getting weirdly hung up on them. I'm not a huge fan of them for the most part but it's very strange

Last time I saw mention was after a 3ds demo.

Makes you think. More then being in the game. Why the gently caress do they put a low timer in the demo?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The demo timers are too short for newbies thats why.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Digirat posted:

Probably since it was a really short time limit and a lot of people ran out of time playing the Beta, making it seem like more of an issue than it is.

From the short time I've spent playing other MH games it seems like running out of stuff like whetstones or health potions is a much bigger threat than the time limit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bombadilillo posted:

Last time I saw mention was after a 3ds demo.

Makes you think. More then being in the game. Why the gently caress do they put a low timer in the demo?

In World's case it's because it's the exact same 'beta' that they've been using at show floor demos where obviously you're gonna want people to not be hogging it for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

The demo timers are too short for newbies thats why.

I'm a bow newbie :smith:

Switch Axe I was under 10 ::black101: