Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Mike mearls in the AMA posted:

I obviously use bonus actions in my game, but otherwise pay no mind to what is actually a weapon or whether someone has the right implement to cast a spell. Those rules are basically there to help a DM if a player is doing something cheesy.

There is a whoooole lot of things like this in dnd, that a new group has no way to navigate through. Yeah, we include a bunch of poo poo about this but it really isn't necessary.

At least now with twitch etc a new DM can see an example of a game being run without all the pointless cruft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

captain innocuous posted:

There is a whoooole lot of things like this in dnd, that a new group has no way to navigate through. Yeah, we include a bunch of poo poo about this but it really isn't necessary.

At least now with twitch etc a new DM can see an example of a game being run without all the pointless cruft.

Stop playing D&D then. Go play a different game that is actually the game you want to play, like Dungeon World or whatever.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It is patently obvious a bunch of rules exist that the DM can use to slap player's hands whenever they do something cool cheesy.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

Stop playing D&D then. Go play a different game that is actually the game you want to play, like Dungeon World or whatever.

D&D is both the only known entry point for most people and almost certainly the only game they'll easily be able to just find an event to play at, so that advice is basically worse than useless

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darwinism posted:

D&D is both the only known entry point for most people and almost certainly the only game they'll easily be able to just find an event to play at, so that advice is basically worse than useless

No, it's not. If you don't like D&D to the point of considering 90% of the rules useless/to be ignored/to be used to slap down fun, go play another game. You will enjoy it more. Do some freeform roleplaying online or something. That will fit your desires better. There's plenty of freeform roleplaying communities out there, far different from D&D.

And an economic argument doesn't answer a criticism of the rules.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

No, it's not. If you don't like D&D to the point of considering 90% of the rules useless/to be ignored/to be used to slap down fun, go play another game. You will enjoy it more. Do some freeform roleplaying online or something. That will fit your desires better. There's plenty of freeform roleplaying communities out there, far different from D&D.

Where's that 90% number come from, precisely? Why is "go freeform RP... I dunno... somewhere, I guess" your idea of good advice for people that wanna play D&D with better rules?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Given the context, you're saying that D&D isn't the right game for Mike Mearles.

I mean you're right but

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Why do some of you hang out in this thread if your only advice is "don't play D&D?"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malpais Legate posted:

Why do some of you hang out in this thread if your only advice is "don't play D&D?"

Why do they put “no diving” signs next to the lake, instead of somewhere else?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Malpais Legate posted:

Do you actually read the thread? Serious question.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This is 1194 pages down at the bottom of the lake. You've drowned in it already.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Malpais Legate posted:

Give names.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Man, this thread is like Groundhog's Day

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Malpais Legate posted:

This is 1194 pages down at the bottom of the lake. You've drowned in it already.

Answer the question.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I like when I get to roll dice with my friends and talk about killing goblins

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Malpais Legate posted:

because we've all played this game and enjoy discussing it, what did you think

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Toebone posted:

I like when I get to roll dice with my friends and talk about killing goblins

Same, now, as that was my first adventure to a tee

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Splicer posted:

You have a +3 weapon at level 3 and another party member just swapped out their +2 shield for an upgrade. Do not rebuild your character around this weapon, just don't use the throwing ability in combat much until the GM drops you a different +3. Treat it as a contingency option for when you can't quite reach the bad guy in your turn. Drop your next ASI into dex and strength and grab some medium armour. What level is the rest of the party?

Your stats don't make sense, did you roll for them? You have one too much con for point buy/array.

Out of combat, note that the hammer returns to your hand "Immediately". Need to climb something? Tie a rope to the hammer and arc it around a parapet. Friend falls off a cliff? Throw them the hammer to pull them back up. You fall off a cliff? Go full Thor with it, throw it below you and catch it on the upswing. Knock on doors from far away. Turn off lights with it. Get some glue and use it to fetch things for you. Strap the halfling to it to scout out high places, or low places, or places in the other sides of chasms. Don't ask them first.

I'm a Mountain Dwarf which is why I've got +2 STR and CON. Otherwise the stat spread is 15 13 14 10 12 8. And here's the thing, my city has this big Multiverse stuff which lets you hop between different games within it. I've found out this is not Adventure League at all, and there's some leeway on Cool Stuff. Only reason I got handed a +2 Shield is cause they're a high level party member, and as for getting the Dwarven Thrower in the first place... DM basically said he felt generous, usually his custom Treasure Slimes only have one guaranteed piece of magical loot in them but he decided with it being the last game he'll get to run at the Sunday Multiverse gathering until January he'd let us roll percentile twice to decide which two tables he rolled on.

I've really liked the ideas people have tossed my way, so working around the hammer doesn't seem so bad. Plus it seems the consensus in our big community from our forums is... kind of left up to the DM whether my Barbarian stuff can apply to Rage/Reckless Attack. The three I've played with have had no issue with my applying it to javelin throws when I didn't realize it might not be 100% RAW.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 20, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Arivia posted:

Man I wish there were viable options for non-D&D based table top roleplaying around here.

There aren't, but it's nice to imagine.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You’d be surprised, I’d say unless you live in a country town and have no friends interested you should be able to find at least an OSR, fantasy flight Star Wars or Call of Cthulhu game.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 20, 2017

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Malpais Legate posted:

I'll PLAY 5e. I just don't run it. If you want to roll up to a group as a new player 5e is the easiest game to find randomly.

But I'm 3 sessions into a 13th Age campaign with 2 D&D regs and 3 completely fresh newbies. Literally all it took was "I know you said you wanted to learn D&D. This is a hipster D&D that I like better. Yes you can still be a Halfling that steals stuff/a Minotaur that hulks out."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darwinism posted:

Where's that 90% number come from, precisely? Why is "go freeform RP... I dunno... somewhere, I guess" your idea of good advice for people that wanna play D&D with better rules?

The stuff on the page so far was all people complaining that D&D has rules only to smack creative players down/be pointless, whatever. It's not a precise number, it's a response to that. If people wanted to play D&D with better rules, they wouldn't be in the 5e thread in the first place.

If they did want to play D&D with better rules, there are options for that - but those editions and versions still have rules, which is a fundamentally different outlook than "rules mostly exist to stifle creativity." If people think that way, they don't want to be playing D&D. D&D isn't the game for them; maybe Basic D&D would be but nothing beyond that. And they will have a lot more fun and be a lot happier with a lighter system that fits the games they want to play much much better.

Splicer posted:

Given the context, you're saying that D&D isn't the right game for Mike Mearles.

I mean you're right but

Considering how bad his official content is and that his third-party 3e stuff wasn't much good either, I think Mearls himself knows that and is much happier with a retroclone.

Malpais Legate posted:

I like D&D and I like playing D&D plenty. This discussion is a bunch of people who don't want to be playing D&D, but can't admit it. I post in this thread because I like D&D and talking about it, it's just that this edition of D&D is really, really bad.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just started playing D&D a few months ago and it was then that I started coming to this thread. I fell in love with D&D immediately, and I spend a lot of my free time reading about it. I'm filled with enthusiasm to play 5e and I greatly anticipate my play sessions with my friends each week. That said, when I read this thread I rarely feel better about myself for having done so. I come here to post about my experiences, to talk about builds and discuss games I'm going to run, and to find others who enjoy 5e as much as I do, but what I feel I often find is a group of people who are frustrated with a system they don't enjoy, and that tempers my excitement. As someone who is excited to explore this new world I don't want to constantly feel like my enjoyment is somehow wrong, that by playing 5e I'm celebrating something lesser. I feel like I'm in a thread about soccer constantly being told that soccer is bad and I should like football instead. I understand that there are a multitude of things you can point at and in some way quantify as "better" in other games. But I don't want to play other games, I want to play 5e with my friends because that's the game I'm invested in, and that's the game I fell in love with. I don't always need to play the best game. Just because Super Mario World exists, doesn't mean I should never play Super Mario Bros 3. I'm in the 5e thread because I enjoy it and I want to discuss it with other people who share my interests. Telling me the game is bad accomplishes nothing. I can't fix the game, I'm not going to stop playing the game. It's just a waste of your time and mine.

Of course, I'm new here, and these are just rough feelings I have. People seem to indicate that the thread has been like this for a while, but honestly I'm not gonna read 1k pages to find out. Maybe this just isn't the place for me and I should accept that. I don't know, I suppose it doesn't matter much in the long run. I doubt my posts are going to change the voice or opinions of the people in the 5e thread shouting down 5e, just as their posts do little for me.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

CubeTheory posted:

I just started playing D&D a few months ago and it was then that I started coming to this thread. I fell in love with D&D immediately, and I spend a lot of my free time reading about it. I'm filled with enthusiasm to play 5e and I greatly anticipate my play sessions with my friends each week. That said, when I read this thread I rarely feel better about myself for having done so. I come here to post about my experiences, to talk about builds and discuss games I'm going to run, and to find others who enjoy 5e as much as I do, but what I feel I often find is a group of people who are frustrated with a system they don't enjoy, and that tempers my excitement. As someone who is excited to explore this new world I don't want to constantly feel like my enjoyment is somehow wrong, that by playing 5e I'm celebrating something lesser. I feel like I'm in a thread about soccer constantly being told that soccer is bad and I should like football instead. I understand that there are a multitude of things you can point at and in some way quantify as "better" in other games. But I don't want to play other games, I want to play 5e with my friends because that's the game I'm invested in, and that's the game I fell in love with. I don't always need to play the best game. Just because Super Mario World exists, doesn't mean I should never play Super Mario Bros 3. I'm in the 5e thread because I enjoy it and I want to discuss it with other people who share my interests. Telling me the game is bad accomplishes nothing. I can't fix the game, I'm not going to stop playing the game. It's just a waste of your time and mine.

Of course, I'm new here, and these are just rough feelings I have. People seem to indicate that the thread has been like this for a while, but honestly I'm not gonna read 1k pages to find out. Maybe this just isn't the place for me and I should accept that. I don't know, I suppose it doesn't matter much in the long run. I doubt my posts are going to change the voice or opinions of the people in the 5e thread shouting down 5e, just as their posts do little for me.

I agree with everything in this post except the part where you implied Super Mario World is better than Super Mario Bros 3. Ridiculous.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Honestly I'm cool with people talking poo poo about 5e so long as they're posting legit analysis of it and are contributing instead of just repeating "5e is bad" without adding anything to the discussion. That and the thread not veering back to arguments about what level of 5e poo poo talk is appropriate every dozen or so pages...

I mean the whole discussion of better alternatives to 5e comes up fairly frequently in this thread, would it be helpful to get some sort of codified list going? I'll admit to having self-serving motives in suggesting this as I'm looking for a game that allows for fantasy adventures but has a bit more crunch and long term play ability than Dungeon World. I know Shadow of the Demon Lord gets brought up fairly frequently and Fragged Kingdom just came out and looks to fill the niche of "reasonably crunchy fantasy game that is not a mangled collection of garbage held together with duct tape"

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

I like when I get to roll dice with my friends and talk shout about killing goblins

:same:

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Guys, what if fun can be had with 5e, despite its flaws? I've found the company and tomfoolery of both 5e games I've been in to be the main attraction anyway.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I played D&D for the first time three weeks ago with my girlfriend, and we're hooked. It was a 5e one-shot with an excellent friend of mine being the DM. We're having a lot of fun but having difficulty playing with the more creative players in the group. One is an ORC who can't properly speak and rolls a d20 everytime we say a word he wants to learn to attempt to learn it. Another is an NPC who only says "we need to save my family," and the last one is cursed to talk like a sports commentator. We're slowly learning though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CubeTheory posted:

:) Good on you I am glad you are having fun. Despite lots of these people's complaining I think most of them do like hearing about fun stories and stuff still.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

CubeTheory posted:

man i feel you but for many people here our hobby isn't D&D our hobby is TTRPG's and the discussion there of. Things like game design and theory.. You're not wrong for enjoying the game but why not gain a deeper understanding of this thing you seem to love and maybe learn from people who have a much broader and deeper familiarity with it?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Terratina posted:

Guys, what if fun can be had with 5e, despite its flaws? I've found the company and tomfoolery of both 5e games I've been in to be the main attraction anyway.

you're not wrong but if fun can be had with a flawed game maybe more fun could be had with a less flawed game?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CubeTheory posted:

Fun can be had with literally any system friend. I had fun with AD&D. AD&D is still a ridiculously obtuse and not well made system. I would not go back to it without a super compelling reason or a complete lack of alternatives.

Recognizing this does not somehow negate the fun/experiences I had with AD&D, nor does my fun and positive experiences make AD&D less of a garbage fire of poorly thought out jury rigged Literal Nonsense. Both things can be true.

As others have said though, most people who post here have a broader view than you do. They aren’t attached to D&D specifically, they like TTRPGs in a general sense and thus have no real compunctions about comparing them. Sometimes harshly.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 20, 2017

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Elfgames posted:

you're not wrong but if fun can be had with a flawed game maybe more fun could be had with a less flawed game?

I'd like a less flawed game but the flawed product we got is stupidly popular. Heck, this year at the local uni gamers' society people only want D&D 5e.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It's as if people just ignore that conversations regarding the flaws of 5e or its design process, or its merits versus other editions, or comparisons with other systems altogether, generally happen in response to posts about problems people run into in their games and are looking for a solution to.

CubeTheory posted:

But I don't want to play other games, I want to play 5e with my friends because that's the game I'm invested in, and that's the game I fell in love with.

Bitter vets are well acquainted with the sunk cost fallacy as it applies to tabletop systems, and it's also perfectly fine to legitimately subjectively prefer a particular system over similar alternatives, but the fact is that saying "have you tried not playing D&D?" isn't even cheeky when there are so many people that have never contemplated the possibility.

I'm sorry it upsets you that people on the internet are critical of a thing you like, but honestly, all 5e communities are the same way. It's really just a matter of approach:

Here people will tell you how X or Y rule is bad and how it could be better by way of comparison with other editions/systems or simplification into something resembling functionality, or just plainly suggesting you don't even deal with it because it's not worth the headache.

In other communities people will happily tell you how awesome and well-designed 5e is, and then share the 40 pages of dubious-quality houserules and homebrew that totally work for fixing any issues you might run into, completely blind to the irony.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Terratina posted:

I'd like a less flawed game but the flawed product we got is stupidly popular. Heck, this year at the local uni gamers' society people only want D&D 5e.

What's funny is that the coordinators of my local college union decided that 5e was expensive and stupid and have spent the entire quarter teaching people FATE, Fiasco, Blades in the Dark, and PBTA games.

The new players love it. They especially love Blades in the Dark and the fantasy Fiasco sets. Over the break the more active DMs are taking this momentum to write a custom collaborative setting by and for club members. Quests chains, notable NPCs and locations, factions, members are writing all of it on different levels. A bunch of people are getting really into trying new games and taking a crack at world building/campaign running now that they have the basics.

You really can have more fun playing a variety of games. And in our case it only took like 4 or 5 people who were willing to start the process.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Terratina posted:

i mean you have a large group of people playing D&D there's bound to be some less than fully satisfied with it go have fun playing D&D and then just spread the word that you're running or interested in non D&D games?

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Has anyone tried the revised hunter that was released as unearthed arcana? I’ve been considering trying out the beast conclave but am curious if it actually holds up all that well.

It looks way better than the initial release but that isn’t saying much. Can it actually stack up vs other classes?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not going to make the argument that a more well-designed game is necessarily going to be "more fun", but straight-up it's possible to say "yes, this game has flaws, but I will play it regardless"

People who ask for help or input with their 5e games can and will get a good discussion from this thread.

People who ask for an alternative to 5e will also get that, if that's what they ask for.

But to say that 5e isn't flawed, or to perceive that pointing out its flaws is a personal attack, is not cool.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

firrup posted:

Has anyone tried the revised hunter that was released as unearthed arcana? I’ve been considering trying out the beast conclave but am curious if it actually holds up all that well.

It looks way better than the initial release but that isn’t saying much. Can it actually stack up vs other classes?
It basically turns the beast companion into your real PC and it has no way of overcoming damage resistance, but otherwise seems fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
This edition wars stuff would be less annoying if it didn't turn into a whole page of slap-fighting between the same 3 posters. You hate each other, make your points then ignore each other.

I am definitely in the camp of 5e being the TTRPG gateway drug for my group. We have not moved onto the hard drugs yet though and the collective buy-in of the group may just abandon the hobby if I tried to convert our sessions to another system any time soon. But we aren't exactly suffering under 5e.

As for actual DnD discussion. My players bought me Curse of Strahd and I will be running it in the new year. I have been looking at a lot of cool DM tips guides written for this module but I want to hear from you folks that have played it. What have DMs done in the past to make players truly motivated to defeat Strahd?

How has player death been handled in the adventure? If I used options like Revenants and Dark Gifts to return PCs instead of rolling new ones, would that entirely suck all tension out of danger? Kind of like the opposite of the Death Curse, just refusing to let low level characters stay dead so they can't escape the horrors of Barovia. Then as the players start to feel this is to their advantage I can introduce fates worse than death that may take them off the board/turn them into evil NPCs and reroll.

Neon Knight fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 20, 2017