Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Again, you love to pull the "don't you understand politics" line while also fundamentally mistaking something about politics. Its a pretty good gimmick.

Republicans repealed Obamacare over and over again because they controlled the chamber. Democrats are in a very different position. By all means, once Democrats control the chamber, they should pass a new DACA bill every single day.

But trying and failing to shut down the government over DACA while 3 Democrats side with Republicans on "bipartisan measures to fund the government" is giving the Republicans a win and wouldn't energize the base one iota.

I'm saying you don't get it, because you fundamentally don't get it at all. Whether you win the vote or not is immaterial, if the bill isn't going to pass what you're doing is political theatre no matter on what level your opponents block it. The practical difference in outcome is zero.

poo poo, the corollary to the fact that the way to win is to energize the base is that the way to losing is demoralizing the base, and there are few things that are as demoralizing as seeing that your elected representatives won't even bother trying because they're afraid of losing. The gently caress kinda inspirational message does that send? "We'll fight for you when a more convenient season arrives"? And then you lot marvel at the GOP base turning out every four years like clockwork while getting super confused why the Dem base doesn't work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

I am. I'm not seeing very many people with a take on Obama as negative as readingatwork's.

Yeah, even I’ll admit that the majority opinion is Obama was a well intentioned technocrat who wanted to do good things but was thwarted by the wily Republicans and Blue Dogs (Over and over and over. Due to rules the Democrats could have lifted at any time. Even on things he had unilateral authority over.)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Majorian posted:

I'm saying there's a good chance that he was bluffing, and that Obama and Reid could probably have exerted more pressure on him than they did.
Reid and the Democratic caucus could have, and should have, observed that the filibuster is undemocratic and stupid, and gotten rid of the rule altogether, and told Joe Lieberman to go suck his own dick. Which he'd probably do because he's the type.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Or they could have just exploited the rules in a different way to bring the ACA to a simple majority vote.

You know, like the Republicans did with their tax bill

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

And that sort of attitude would leave any party far short of a majority. Say if the Republicans did that, they'd have already kicked out the freedom caucus and all the moderate members too.

Especially considering this isn't even about pro or anti DACA, this about if senate negotiations on if DACA should continue until January or not.

doubtful. blue dogs don't actually seem to be necessary to get seats in red states so what's your reasoning for this? why do we need dems that vote with trump more often than not like manchin? why do we need dems who profit off raising prices on lifesaving medication like manchin?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Condiv posted:

doubtful. blue dogs don't actually seem to be necessary to get seats in red states so what's your reasoning for this? why do we need dems that vote with trump more often than not like manchin? why do we need dems who profit off raising prices on lifesaving medication like manchin?

You're referring to the Mylan scandal with his daughter, correct?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Grapplejack posted:

You're referring to the Mylan scandal with his daughter, correct?

yep

i also don't see why we need dems like manchin who side with trump on whether football players kneeling should be retaliated against

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Chomskyan posted:

Or they could have just exploited the rules in a different way to bring the ACA to a simple majority vote.

Yeah let's keep in mind that we're comparing what the GOP is doing with a 52 / 48 majority versus the 59 / 41 majority the Democrats had in 2009.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Condiv posted:

yep

i also don't see why we need dems like manchin who side with trump on whether football players kneeling should be retaliated against

It looks like Swearengin is running against him. I'm curious what that primary is going to look like. The state broke pretty hard for Bernie on the D side so she might have a shot, but I don't know what the general would look like for her.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/jim_newell/status/943249399135850496
I’d post in the Trump thread but it’s all taxchat right now and gently caress sticking my dick onto that grinder.

Third party is still never an option, correct? :sigh:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Infiltrate the DNC. subvert its values. laugh about it at DSA meetings.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Radirot posted:

Third party is still never an option, correct? :sigh:

Not electorally no.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Grapplejack posted:

It looks like Swearengin is running against him. I'm curious what that primary is going to look like. The state broke pretty hard for Bernie on the D side so she might have a shot, but I don't know what the general would look like for her.
If she doesn't have a shot in the general, then Manchin is going to get his rear end kicked.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/jim_newell/status/943249399135850496
I’d post in the Trump thread but it’s all taxchat right now and gently caress sticking my dick onto that grinder.

Anyone remember when there was that one Democratic rep from Illinois, I think it was, who had a lot of Latino constituents, and he was super-dissatisfied with Pelosi's and Schumer's promises on making a DACA deal with Trump? And how up-in-arms centrist Dems got about it? And how much they were cheering Pelosi for beating him into submission?

Good times.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kilroy posted:

If she doesn't have a shot in the general, then Manchin is going to get his rear end kicked.

He's got the incumbency advantage plus his pretty sizable list of connections in state, and polling has been pretty kind to him so far. He's also going to have party money behind him in the primary, most likely, since it's an "at-risk" seat. But again the state broke hard for Bernie so who knows what could happen.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Majorian posted:

Anyone remember when there was that one Democratic rep from Illinois, I think it was, who had a lot of Latino constituents, and he was super-dissatisfied with Pelosi's and Schumer's promises on making a DACA deal with Trump? And how up-in-arms centrist Dems got about it? And how much they were cheering Pelosi for beating him into submission?

Good times.
You can check the bad Dem thread if you're curious whether any of the dumb shits have learned a single thing (they haven't).

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Grapplejack posted:

He's got the incumbency advantage plus his pretty sizable list of connections in state, and polling has been pretty kind to him so far. He's also going to have party money behind him in the primary, most likely, since it's an "at-risk" seat. But again the state broke hard for Bernie so who knows what could happen.
Yeah his main advantage in the primary will be the party putting their thumb on the scale against the will of the people, and his main in the general compared to Swearengin is that, should she win the primary, the party will not invest the resources in her race that they would have if Manchin had won. Which is a good reason to support her in the primary anyway, and to send the Democratic leadership to forced labor camps in Alaska for a few years.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ellison is not ready for a Presidential run. He should run for a Senate seat first.

gently caress that, Speaker of the House. If you have seniority then you might as well use it.

Chomskyan posted:

ACA was the Senate bill and passed by 60 votes. AHCA was the House bill. After Brown took Kennedy's seat the House passed the ACA and what I think was the 2011 reconciliation bill was used to increase funding in the ACA.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Is this lovely tax bill going to pass tonight or what

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Majorian posted:

Good times.

if you read the article (and remember some things I originally didn't about the continuing resolution ongoing kerfuffle) they're prioritizing CHIP because it's expiring in January and if they can't jam DACA through simultaneously with CHIP, DACA goes to the January fight, because DACA expires in March

I'm undecided on whether admitting this in advance is a good strategic decision, and I hope the recalcitrant Senators get their arms twisted until they come off at the elbow, but it's not as bad as it sounds

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Oh wait, they're going to pass it tomorrow. Nevermind.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

if you read the article (and remember some things I originally didn't about the continuing resolution ongoing kerfuffle) they're prioritizing CHIP because it's expiring in January and if they can't jam DACA through simultaneously with CHIP, DACA goes to the January fight, because DACA expires in March

I'm undecided on whether admitting this in advance is a good strategic decision, and I hope the recalcitrant Senators get their arms twisted until they come off at the elbow, but it's not as bad as it sounds

CHIP expiring will lead to children dying. Btw, Medicare for All needs to have permanent funding or else a future Congress will just forget to fund it.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Kilroy posted:

Yeah his main advantage in the primary will be the party putting their thumb on the scale against the will of the people, and his main in the general compared to Swearengin is that, should she win the primary, the party will not invest the resources in her race that they would have if Manchin had won. Which is a good reason to support her in the primary anyway, and to send the Democratic leadership to forced labor camps in Alaska for a few years.

West Virginia primary races have historically had some entertaining results that make me a bit leery of assuming they'll go for a progressive. That said, Manchin is slime, so if he can be replaced with an upgrade, it'd be awesome.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Wait wait, hang on...

Am I supposed to pay close attention to what the Democrats say they're going to do, like force the DACA issue by year's end, or what they actually do, like not force the issue? It's hard to keep up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

karthun posted:

CHIP expiring will lead to children dying. Btw, Medicare for All needs to have permanent funding or else a future Congress will just forget to fund it.

Correct and correct?

Like, that's why I can see the argument for "CHIP is a more important priority right now and anyway we can fight about DACA anytime until March in January".

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I like how even the milquetoastiest of milquetoast centrists, like the Pod Save America guys, have said that democrats as a party don't have a reason to exist if they don't fight for DACA and CHIP, but here that is apparently too radical for USPOL.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I hope you're right, but it certainly makes Gutierrez seem less out-of-line for questioning Pelosi's strategy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Condiv posted:

To protect him from tax raises.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 20, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Majorian posted:

I hope you're right, but it certainly makes Gutierrez seem less out-of-line for questioning Pelosi's strategy.

Yeah, that's fair.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Grapplejack posted:

she is, and she's great. she's an environmental activist and mother from the state, and she's trying to fight the big coal companies that are poisoning the populace. i'm really rooting for her

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

joepinetree posted:

I like how even the milquetoastiest of milquetoast centrists, like the Pod Save America guys, have said that democrats as a party don't have a reason to exist if they don't fight for DACA and CHIP, but here that is apparently too radical for USPOL.

More like this setback isn't enough to declare everyone involved persona non grata.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Kilroy posted:

Yeah his main advantage in the primary will be the party putting their thumb on the scale against the will of the people, and his main in the general compared to Swearengin is that, should she win the primary, the party will not invest the resources in her race that they would have if Manchin had won.

Considering the dems are going to "intentionally" tank the 2018 elections so they don't actually have to try and impeach Trump, a lack of resources will probably happen regardless of who runs in WV.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

Considering the dems are going to "intentionally" tank the 2018 elections so they don't actually have to try and impeach Trump

It is practically impossible for "the dems" to intentionally tank the 2018 elections for their side. Scare quotes because I have no idea who you are referring to with this conspiracy theory. Is it a joke?

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 20, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Typical Pubbie posted:

It is practically impossible for "the dems" to intentionally tank the 2018 elections for their side. Scare quotes because I have no idea who you are referring to with this conspiracy theory. Is it a joke?

this is generally koop's gimmick, trying to plumb the limits of despair that will go without comment. smile, nod, and move on, is my opinion

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The Net Neutrality repeal coupled with this appallingly lovely Tax Bill will gently caress republicans in the 2018 midterms. A republican losing in the reddest of republican shitholes like Alabama has fully convinced me of this.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

viral spiral posted:

The Net Neutrality repeal coupled with this appallingly lovely Tax Bill will gently caress republicans in the 2018 midterms. A republican losing in the reddest of republican shitholes like Alabama has fully convinced me of this.

The reason why I'm not particularly heartened by this is that the democrats won't do anything about the neoliberal shithole the world is living in right now. There won't be some leftist resurgence there wont be a New Deal 2.0 which SHOULD have been rammed through congress when Obama had his majority.

What America fails to realize is that all that talk about compromise etc isn't incompetence- it's intent. They're doing it on purpose. This is not a party that cares for the plight of the working class, the unions or black people. They're just electoral pawns. It doesn't matter which party is in charge because they are both run by the same kinds of people.

Republicans are the drunken deadbeat abusive father who spends child welfare cheques on booze.
Democrats are the mother who forgets you in the car on a 100 degree day, or doesn't vaccinate you because they think it causes autism.

In both cases the country isn't getting what it needs to properly function. And it never will because it has been bought and whored out to the highest bidders and the veneral diseases of wealth inequality and racism will undo everything this country has built since the Eisenhower administration. Rampant debt is the crystal meth that completes this entire metaphor.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 20, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

viral spiral posted:

the republicans losing doesn't mean we win, unfortunately

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ellison is not ready for a Presidential run

But trump was?

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Kraftwerk posted:

The reason why I'm not particularly heartened by this is that the democrats won't do anything about the neoliberal shithole the world is living in right now.

Oh, I agree. No argument there. The Democratic party needs to be renamed to the Undemocratic Party until they at least get rid of superdelegates altogether. Neoliberal influence would still flourish among the party, no doubt, but at least it would give voters more power in the primaries by energizing the socialist wing of the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Grapplejack posted:

, but I don't know what the general would look like for her.

Just shoot some guns and don't talk about abortion.

• Locked thread