Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Here's that Chance/jeremih Christmas tape extended version

http://chanceraps.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Boywhiz88 posted:

LAMB and STAR are what got me into Brockhampton. LAMB won’t be on a physical release until the SATURATION boxset they’re planning. I don’t think they’re plants but they’re definitely savvy and well-produced enough that I wouldn’t be surprised if they had an industry vet guiding/managing/consulting them.

I would be suspicious of anyone who blew up on MTV out of “nowhere” but were supposed to be “underground.” Brockhampton seems to still be under the radar. Having a few million plays on tracks on Spotify isn’t the biggest feat, but if it was tens of millions I’d say there’s mainstream awareness.

at the end of the day, i kinda feel like it doesn't matter, because i don't think they've ever pretended to be some underground force. they're makin pop-rear end music, call themselves a boy band, broke out with a viceland show. if they get big as gently caress thanks to some major label involvement it'll be exactly what they were trying to do, y'know?

people always like to fetishize indie in every genre, and i get why people want to believe their favorite artists are just doin poo poo from the heart and are happy and surprised to find success thanks to a grassroots fanbase, but im pretty sure that poo poo literally doesnt happen in 2017. everyone's got a social media manager and a label and a merch pop up and whatever, and i think brockhampton just own it cuz that's all they really wanna be

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

abraham linksys posted:

at the end of the day, i kinda feel like it doesn't matter, because i don't think they've ever pretended to be some underground force. they're makin pop-rear end music, call themselves a boy band, broke out with a viceland show. if they get big as gently caress thanks to some major label involvement it'll be exactly what they were trying to do, y'know?

people always like to fetishize indie in every genre, and i get why people want to believe their favorite artists are just doin poo poo from the heart and are happy and surprised to find success thanks to a grassroots fanbase, but im pretty sure that poo poo literally doesnt happen in 2017. everyone's got a social media manager and a label and a merch pop up and whatever, and i think brockhampton just own it cuz that's all they really wanna be

Yeah, that stuff doesn’t matter to me. I wasn’t trying to call em out, just wanted to put in my 2 cents. I frankly would love if they blew up, I think it’d still be a Cinderella situation and it’d be a big jump for acknowledging and accepting gay artists, which is pretty cool. I mean, OF members grabbed deals ASAP and I think it was a really good thing for Tyler. He’s been able to create so much and grow artistically in a way that probably would not have happened if they’d tried to remain independent. I hope that the current crop of upcoming artists are able to leverage their YouTube and SoundCloud popularity to remain relatively independent in their creative process, while carving a better deal fiscally.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ4gFRmr9E0

rip peep

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Acceptance isn't holding back gay artists, its making a banging mixtape.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

this the best (only good) song on his album

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

The REAL Goobusters posted:

gonna gather up a bunch of rap thread goons and buy a house in california

record labels i know u are listening

I'm in. Wait nah.

Boywhiz88 posted:

LAMB and STAR are what got me into Brockhampton. LAMB won’t be on a physical release until the SATURATION boxset they’re planning. I don’t think they’re plants but they’re definitely savvy and well-produced enough that I wouldn’t be surprised if they had an industry vet guiding/managing/consulting them.

I would be suspicious of anyone who blew up on MTV out of “nowhere” but were supposed to be “underground.” Brockhampton seems to still be under the radar. Having a few million plays on tracks on Spotify isn’t the biggest feat, but if it was tens of millions I’d say there’s mainstream awareness.

They're being managed by Kelly & Christian Clancy who managed/manages Odd Future. A huge piece of their approach can easily be explained as learning from Odd Future's "mistakes" - be a band/group proper focusing on doing many consistent group releases over erratic, uneven individual albums, kick out people who are causing drama, be a diverse but tight unit hence everyone in one house, use your existing connections (like the Clancys' to Vice) to accelerate without getting into the label system (which also helps keep the group together rather than split out over labels.)

So even if they're not record industry plants, they're guided by music management vets.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Doesn’t Clancy still manage Tyler?

EDIT: you mentioned it. I was just bringing it up because I think if they are still together, it shows how solid Clancy really is.

EDIT 2: Christian, I think of him as Clancy cause that’s all he was referred to as on OF media

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 20, 2017

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Yeah, he's still managing Tyler for sure, not sure about the rest of the collective at this point - I could've been more clear on that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
theyre being managed by tom clancy

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

The REAL Goobusters posted:

theyre being managed by tom clancy

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Goddamn, some of you people are some real bitches. I don't know why I even bothered coming back to this dead gay site, but most of y'all have some poo poo opinions about hip hop and are too busy fighting each other to actually discuss the poo poo. Think I'm done with SA.

gently caress y'all.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
goodbye, somethingawfguls user "Guavatin", u will be missed

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
French Montana's last good project (mac n cheese 4: the appetizer) released today (dec 19th) 3 years ago,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWmhO4zw7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XLaEoF0udE

Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-

Guavatin posted:

Goddamn, some of you people are some real bitches. I don't know why I even bothered coming back to this dead gay site, but most of y'all have some poo poo opinions about hip hop and are too busy fighting each other to actually discuss the poo poo. Think I'm done with SA.

gently caress y'all.

Peace ✌️🖕

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I feel the same way. I know my presence might not be missed today but in the future you will look for me and I will not be here. I am the young thug of posters. You are all meek mills except you never even hosed nicki you just lost to drake a loving industry plant.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
It’s a Christmas miracle

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm also going!!!!

To post itt forever sorry

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

gfs is actually the greatest troll this thread has ever seen and i miss him riling some of you idiots up every single day

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/richchigga/status/943183139265921024

temple
Jul 29, 2006

uncle murder changed his name to lenny grant. someone post the 2017 wrap up if i forget too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
im good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guavatin posted:

gently caress y'all.

See ya !

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

I really like that track he did with 21 savage.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

gfs is actually the greatest troll this thread has ever seen and i miss him riling some of you idiots up every single day

Is he an ash catchcum alt? I liked ash. The first post of his I ever saw was him asking how legit weird Al was as a rapper and I laughed on and off all day thinking about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GoldfishStew posted:

I feel the same way. I know my presence might not be missed today but in the future you will look for me and I will not be here. I am the young thug of posters. You are all meek mills except you never even hosed nicki you just lost to drake a loving industry plant.

don't play 😤

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

King

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
I wish Rick Ross would make more songs like "Box Chevy." I guess the guy is too busy promoting Wingstops & selling specialty vodkas & doing other stuff rappers do instead of rap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POwaPdAPyNs

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
He had one of the best albums this year though??????????????????????????????

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

the_american_dream posted:

He had one of the best albums this year though??????????????????????????????

"Rather You Than Me," best album of the year? I thought it was just average

temple
Jul 29, 2006

i want a rick ross gunplay album. what happened to that dude? he was mismanaged.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Here's that Chance/jeremih Christmas tape extended version

http://chanceraps.com

Disc two is also good. What a good xmas tape.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFofKGKlWo4

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

temple posted:

i want a rick ross gunplay album. what happened to that dude? he was mismanaged.

50 took his mmg chain and his ego never recovered

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Robert Analog posted:

50 took his mmg chain and his ego never recovered

Still dying at the Major Distribution video

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Pharrell + Migos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHUxyXZBXY8

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

ITS GREAT

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bruh. This loving beat.

Bruuuuuuuuuuh

Pharell did his drat thing.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 20, 2017

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pharrell killing it this year. Lotta good stuff on that NERD album too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008