Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Malachi Constant posted:

gently caress all the Republicans forever

got you buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still believe that Hillary would have, in a vacuum, been a quality President but she would have been bogged down with ENDLESS manufactured scandals and attempts by the Republican controlled Congress to derail literally every action she made. There would have, without a doubt, been articles of impeachment drawn up within days just because. She would have accomplished nothing and lost in 2020 as people stupidly go "well I guess both sides really are the same after all" and allow the Republicans to take a supermajority in Congress.

Also that.

But also they would have done that to Bernie, or any other Democrat (perhaps not with the fervor or volume that Hillary would have caused, but still).

American democracy is over. The dominant political party is no longer even pretending to operate as representation of its constituency. What happens next is anyone's guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still believe that Hillary would have, in a vacuum, been a quality President but she would have been bogged down with ENDLESS manufactured scandals and attempts by the Republican controlled Congress to derail literally every action she made. There would have, without a doubt, been articles of impeachment drawn up within days just because. She would have accomplished nothing and lost in 2020 as people stupidly go "well I guess both sides really are the same after all" and allow the Republicans to take a supermajority in Congress.

Can you imagine a 2018 midterm with Hillary as President? Holy hell it would have been a Dem wipeout. The GOP would have 55-58 Senators, easy.

I would trade that for Gorsuch off the court.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mdemone posted:

Also that.

But also they would have done that to Bernie, or any other Democrat (perhaps not with the fervor or volume that Hillary would have caused, but still).

American democracy is over. The dominant political party is no longer even pretending to operate as representation of its constituency. What happens next is anyone's guess.

Nah. American democracy will survive. We've been through far worse than this many times. Lighten up.

This is certainly the worst it's been in quite a while, anyway.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

mdemone posted:

Also that.

‘The elephant in the room’ takes on a whole new meaning.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/943292092834607105

gently caress this loving gently caress for ever and ever.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

For some reason NPR is doing a parade of interviews with Republicans and I just heard the rep of NY-21 tell the country that "Even more economists say tax cuts create jobs". [Than say that trickle down is perhaps a myth as suggested by the host].

I had to shut it off.

Most economists do say that though :confused:

Many/most also say these tax-cuts are a very inefficient way to create jobs, but they still often say they will create jobs.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Petr posted:

Bad news guys, according to CNN Hillary's approval rating is at an all-time low

drat, she's going to be impeached.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jealous Cow posted:

Democrats are going to need to have a plan for this next time they take over.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think its time to admit that 2016 was an unwinnable situation against Trump, since you would have to contend with a media who were married to the idea that they needed to portray both candidates as equivalents, a candidate who was so insubstantial and shameless you couldn't pin any of the bad poo poo he did to him because he would pivot aaaaany day now, an electorate that didn't care that it was being lied to, and in fact rewarded the most shameless liar, Russian interference no matter what, voter suppression on an unprecedented scale, incredibly motivated white rage while the media cannot call a white supremacist a white supremacist....people who say "Bernie would have won" are still clinging to the delusion that this was in any way about policy or substance, and wasn't just a referendum on white people wanting to blame everything on the brown people.

RuanGacho posted:

Let's just give up the pretense and ask IBM to make President Watson and see what comes of it.

...The Enclave?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Pakled posted:

The tax bill is repealing the individual mandate, which is going to hurt everyone's wallet other than millionaires far, far more than they'll save.

ya basically. the tax savings won't show up on your paycheck because insurance is going to skyrocket.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Malachi Constant posted:

I'm sorry, but as a physics teacher I must insist that you say "fat is less dense than muscle", or "a given volume of fat would weigh a little less than that volume of muscle (for humans at least, and possibly for all animals)".

Thank you.

Also, gently caress all the Republican looters in power.

The entire concept of "weight" is a round-earther lie anyway, things fall because of buoyancy not gravity.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

Nah. American democracy will survive. We've been through far worse than this many times. Lighten up.

This is certainly the worst it's been in quite a while, anyway.

"Survive" is a relative term, you old fogey. :agesilaus:

I've been struck lately by how closely we seem to be hewing to a hundred-year recurrence. Ever since Ivanka went on TV and said "business taxes will be lower than they've been since 1931, lol".

So what can we expect from 2018/1918?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jealous Cow posted:

“This turtle soup looks an awful lot like human bl-“

“Drink it.”

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I wish the Clinton's did have assassins and actually used them

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Malachi Constant posted:

I'm sorry, but as a physics teacher I must insist that you say "fat is less dense than muscle", or "a given volume of fat would weigh a little less than that volume of muscle (for humans at least, and possibly for all animals)".

Thank you.

Also, gently caress all the Republican looters in power.

NERD!!!!!!!!!!

...as I run an ICP-OES for trace metal analysis.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

I wish there was a hell so MCConnell could have a special place in it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/943315877247832064

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Sanguinia posted:

I don't know how you guys can be so sure of the BLUE WAVE you're always crowing about. If this dickbags tax bill artificially inflates the growth rate of the economy at the time it's most likely to and designed to, what makes you think most idiots are going to see anything other than that and a standard deduction that's twice as big on their most recent 1040 when they go to the ballot box? It's a dirty loving plan to sell out our entire future to trick their way past a single midterm, but why should we assume it will fail considering how dumb people had to be to vote for Trump in the first place?

I don't know why people keep talking about "joe American's" tax bill going down and that resulting in a Republican vote for the 2018 election. Even assuming (as is likely) that the tax bill gets passed this year, the deduction increase and other changes don't go in effect retroactively for 2017 income... they apply to 2018 income (and thus you wouldn't notice the impact of the bill on your taxes until April 2019).

Outside of the (very minor) increase in take home pay for the lower income tax brackets, no tax related part of this bill gets factored in the 2018 election. Now what the bill will do to insurance premiums is a whole other story...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We.

Can.

Win.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Are people seriously trying to do a new Hillary chat in December 2017? What possible hope for that saying anything new at this point?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Trump will brag about this tomorrow

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

you can fix legislation but how do you fix all these lifetime appointed judges?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

We want McCain's seat up in 2018.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

With court packing and removal of unqualified judges.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

mcmagic posted:

Democrats are going to need to have a plan for this next time they take over.

I'll spoil their plan for you: nominate qualified but moderate or right-leaning judges as a gesture of goodwill toward bipartisanship.

Even in the "fantasy" territory of 2009 supermajorities and complete control over government, the Democrats weren't exactly rushing to fill the benches with super-progressive judges, and I haven't seen anything resembling a conviction to try to balance out the conservative stooge appointments with 'liberal stooge' appointments when they gain control again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whenever I remember that Mitch McConnell just stole that Supreme Court seat, I have to voluntarily forget it so that I don't walk out of the house calling for a bunch of people to get pitchforks and march on his house.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

"Get the gently caress out of that seat you piece of poo poo, you aren't qualified for anything and were appointed by the Russians".

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lets ask the French.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Scroll up I already offered one solution.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

mcmagic posted:

We want McCain's seat up in 2018.

Given his health status, that is increasingly likely. We (Arizona) already have the strongest possible Democratic candidate running for Flake's seat in Sinema (not a fan of hers, but I can't argue with her moderate popularity and crazy warchest of funds), but I'm not quite sure who the second hitter would be for McCain's seat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LegendaryFrog posted:

I'll spoil their plan for you: nominate qualified but moderate or right-leaning judges as a gesture of goodwill toward bipartisanship.

Even in the "fantasy" territory of 2009 supermajorities and complete control over government, the Democrats weren't exactly rushing to fill the benches with super-progressive judges, and I haven't seen anything resembling a conviction to try to balance out the conservative stooge appointments with 'liberal stooge' appointments when they gain control again.

We are going to have to hold them accountable. It will start in 2018 if we take the Senate. Not one Trump appointment to any federal court.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

LegendaryFrog posted:

This poo poo is exactly why I can't get behind letting the party go Stats Quo. We as an electorate need to be standing behind them with pitchforks and torches, not just to push back the GOP, but to remind them that they don't get to run away from actually doing the work they're elected to do.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

LegendaryFrog posted:

The Dems of 2020 will not be like the Dems of 2008. They already aren't.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 20, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

Statements by Republicans like that make me think that somebody is going to end up trying to Scalise them again

https://twitter.com/barf_stepson/status/943218200853987328

(similarly i'm surprised somebody hasn't made John Q a reality in the 15 years since release)

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

This poo poo is exactly why I can't get behind letting the party go Stats Quo. We as an electorate need to be standing behind them with pitchforks and torches, not just to push back the GOP, but to remind them that they don't get to run away from actually doing the work they're elected to do.

Given that several Democratic senators are taking notes on the GOP’s behavior for their own playbook, this probably needs to be fairly literal.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Dems of 2020 will not be like the Dems of 2008. They already aren't.

But if that's the case then what excuse do I have for checking out and assuming that DSA having my email address means I've sufficiently contributed to the political process?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I don't think it's a question of winning. It's a question of not getting complacent when the democrats take charge again. Democrats dropped the ball by giving Obama the soft touch while he was making choices about economic policy, not prosecuting bankers, increasing drone strikes and not rolling back domestic spying. We need to actually push them on economic and social ills so they don't revert back to do nothing 90's neoliberal republicans. The democrats act like they're the gatekeepers of liberal thought and liberal action. They're not. People need to volunteer and get involved in the primary. The democrats are looking at a serious resurgence come 2018. Making sure the right people pushing the right agendas getting elected in the primaries is a big deal.

You, yes you. You can do something about it. Get involved in the primaries. Money isn't the end all be all anymore. It makes someone seriously punch above their weight, but people underestimate what a good ground game does. Someone with the right words and the right amount of charisma can win over someone who's bought out heart and soul by corporate interests.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Mustached Demon posted:

NERD!!!!!!!!!!

...as I run an ICP-OES for trace metal analysis.

Well, then you should know better. Some of my future students may be reading this thread and its already hard enough to get them see the difference between mass, weight, and density.

Help a brother nerd out.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

:killing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
What falls faster? A 210 pound fat guy or a 210 pound buff guy?

• Locked thread