Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The best way to use a boat is to anchor or tie up somewhere tropical, indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

M_Gargantua posted:

The best way to use a boat is to anchor or tie up somewhere tropical, indefinitely.

RUSSIAN SPOTTED

Also make sure you do so in hurricane season

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

RUSSIAN SPOTTED

Also make sure you do so in hurricane season

The best place for a ship in a storm is at a pier. With me ashore.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

lightpole posted:

The best place for a ship in a storm is at a pier. With me ashore.

watching the yachts at the SYC burn during hurricane Katrina gave me a chuckle or two

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I wish to have no connection to a ship that does not make port visits often, for I do not intend to wake up sober.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

WELL HAVE I GOT THE JOB FOR YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

That's a true story man I know a guy who knows a guy that was on the lighthouse

Battleship HMS Montagu posted:

At 0200 hours on 30 May 1906 during radio communication trials carried out in thick fog, Montagu was steaming at high speed in the Bristol Channel when she ran into Shutter Rock on the southwest corner of Lundy Island. The force of impact was so great that her foremast was raked forward. The ship settled hard aground, with many holes in her hull, the worst of which was a 91-foot-long (28-meter-long) gash in her starboard side.

A pilot cutter cruising in the vicinity of Lundy Island had encountered Montagu a short time earlier. The battleship had stopped engines, come abreast, and hailed from the bridge requesting a distance and bearing for Hartland Point on the mainland of England. Though the cutter supplied these accurately, the voice from the battleship's bridge replied that they must be wrong and that the pilot cutter must have lost her bearings. As Montagu restarted her engines and began to move ahead, the cutter shouted back that on her present course Montagu would be on Shutter Rock within ten minutes, and a short time later the sound of the battleship running aground carried through the fog.

The battleship's captain, believing Montagu was aground at Hartland Point, sent a party on a rowing boat to the north, instructing them to contact the Hartland Point Lighthouse. They instead got to the North light on Lundy Island, where officers asked the lighthouse keeper to inform the British Admiralty that they were aground south of Hartland Point. An argument ensued with the keeper over where they were until he pointed out he knew what lighthouse he kept.

The court martial convened for the affair blamed the thick fog and faulty navigation for the wreck, and her commanding officer, Thomas B. S. Adair, and navigating officer, Lieutenant J. H. Dathan, were severely reprimanded and "dismissed the ship" (sic), with Dathan losing two years' seniority.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Obviously the solution to the collision problem is an all-battleship Navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bremerton shipyards. I'm a few feet from the dry dock. Some crazy damage was repaired here from ww2.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I mean gently caress, that picture. Where do you even start with repairs

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean gently caress, that picture. Where do you even start with repairs

Cut off the front and slap on a new one?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McNally posted:

Basically.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wasn't there an unfinished bow from a cancelled ship that just happened to be sitting around?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

McNally posted:

You joke, but that's not that far off.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
USS SanFranLulu

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Where might I find more battle damage pictures like that? Are there pictures of the repairs as well? That sort of thing is fascinating

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Terrible Robot posted:

Where might I find more battle damage pictures like that? Are there pictures of the repairs as well? That sort of thing is fascinating

Well dont have a depository of before and after images but this a good read on the one ships battle damage and repairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_St._Louis_(CL-49)

http://web.kitsapsun.com/archive/2002/12-08/19459_repairing_america.html

Interesting link.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 19, 2017

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

LingcodKilla posted:

Wasn't there an unfinished bow from a cancelled ship that just happened to be sitting around?

They welded a temporary one on at Pearl and then fixed her for real when she made it back to Bremerton.

USS Washington also managed to get within 5 miles of a Japanese BB before being noticed (night action + the Japanese ship was focused on trying to kill the USS South Dakota) and blew the poo poo out of her.

Terrible Robot posted:

More here:

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/OnlineLibrary/photos/events/wwii-pac/marshals/wash-ind.htm

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 19, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Wouldn't there be a shitload of compaction damage all throughout the ships piping / ducting? Seems like taking all of that apart and putting it all back together would cost more than the ship is worth nowadays.

Actually now that I think about it this happened before the navy fully sucked all the fun out of being a sailor. That thing probably barely had electrical systems aside from lighting and announcing that ran through the entire ship

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Wouldn't there be a shitload of compaction damage all throughout the ships piping / ducting? Seems like taking all of that apart and putting it all back together would cost more than the ship is worth nowadays.

Actually now that I think about it this happened before the navy fully sucked all the fun out of being a sailor. That thing probably barely had electrical systems aside from lighting and announcing that ran through the entire ship

The answer is "yes" but it might be bad enough that it has to be repaired. Ships were a lot more resilient back in the day as you pointed out.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

LingcodKilla posted:

Well dont have a depository of before and after images but this a good read on the one ships battle damage and repairs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_St._Louis_(CL-49)

http://web.kitsapsun.com/archive/2002/12-08/19459_repairing_america.html

Interesting link.

:tipshat:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

The answer is "yes" but it might be bad enough that it has to be repaired. Ships were a lot more resilient back in the day as you pointed out.

Nah, pretty much the opposite. Ships back then were built before we understood how shock damage works and how to build to mitigate it. Granted, modern ships have systems that might be more innately susceptible to damage (Iowas didn't need chillwater pipes to keep their combat systems operational, for example; if you don't need it you don't need to worry about it breaking), but modern ships are strong in ways that WWII ships just weren't. Examples abound of ships taking enormous amounts of damage and not only not sinking, but being able to stay on station performing duties. USS Princeton set off a mine in the Persian Gulf, the explosion of that mine set off a second mine nearby, and the two converging shockwaves basically picked her up and shook her around; the bow and the stern were each gyrating in three dimensions but with no axis in common. There weren't two parallel lines anywhere on the ship anymore. They had the AEGIS and forward launcher back up in 15 minutes and stayed on station, able to perform air defense, for another 30 hours. And she's still in service. The Samuel B Roberts is another example, she hit a mine that blasted a 15' hole in her bottom and broke her keel:

Here's the USS Thach SINKEX. 4 Harpoons, a few Hellfires, at least one Standard, a Mk 84 2000-lb bomb, a GBU-12 500-lb bomb, and a Mk48 to finish her off. Granted, there's nothing flammable or explosive on board, but there's also no damage control of any kind and even after the torpedo hit she took 12 hours to go down. Modern ships are tough as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzn5L-82GdE

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 19, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Phanatic posted:

Here's the USS Thach SINKEX. 4 Harpoons, a few Hellfires, at least one Standard, a Mk 84 2000-lb bomb, a GBU-12 500-lb bomb, and a Mk48 to finish her off. Granted, there's nothing flammable or explosive on board, but there's also no damage control of any kind and even after the torpedo hit she took 12 hours to go down. Modern ships are tough as hell.

As a note to casual observers of our nautical thread the Mk48's always have to go last in any SINKEX since theres nothing that floats that can withstand one. Maybe a Carrier could, doubtful it would take more than two.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
There's always the Bridgeton if you want to use a 400k+ dwt tanker as a minesweeper.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeton_incident

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I was just about to mention a ULCC as an example of something that could take an ADCAP or two and live. Just by virtue of being loving enormous.

But definitely not much else.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
They’re also compartmentalized five way to Sunday, have longitudinal strengthening, and are essentially gas-tight. It’s really hard to sink a tanker, compared to say, a bulk carrier.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

They’re also compartmentalized five way to Sunday, have longitudinal strengthening, and are essentially gas-tight. It’s really hard to sink a tanker, compared to say, a bulk carrier.

Keep everyone working for 15 hours a day, 7 days straight.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

ManMythLegend posted:

The best ship handling training I've gotten in the Navy was during what they then called, "High Speed OOD," as part of the LCS pipeline when I was a JG. That class was no loving joke.

:agreed:

Looking back, I wonder if it would be possible to make DDG versions of this and then mandate that everyone has to pass the final as the OOD with a 3 man watchteam.

Or at least something like that would have helped when I was dumb as gently caress and showed up to a ship not knowing anything and everyone told me about how good that is because "if you were a pilot you would still be in training right now!"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

M_Gargantua posted:

As a note to casual observers of our nautical thread the Mk48's always have to go last in any SINKEX since theres nothing that floats that can withstand one. Maybe a Carrier could, doubtful it would take more than two.

I know what you're talking about, but it's more fun if you imagine this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_48_machine_gun

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I know what you're talking about, but it's more fun if you imagine this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_48_machine_gun

Isn't that just a slight redesign of the M240B, which is also made by FN?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's a relative of the 249.

It's also light enough to easily hip-fire one-handed and look like a badass and/or retard.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah a Mk48 can be snapshot with surprising accuracy.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah a Mk48 can be snapshot with surprising accuracy.

If the TMOW is awake.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just talked to a guy I know who is on a destroyer about the work hours, he told he about getting like three one hour naps per night and nothing else for months, with a crew of hundreds. As a merchant mariner it is just all super alien to me, you can run a thousand foot ultradeepwater drillship 24/7 such that everyone gets 12 hours of rest a day with half the crew I mean I know a destroyer is more complicated than a box full of boxes like I'm used to these days but gently caress man those schedules can't be good for not getting run over

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
We aren't that smart as a force

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shovelbum posted:

Just talked to a guy I know who is on a destroyer about the work hours, he told he about getting like three one hour naps per night and nothing else for months, with a crew of hundreds. As a merchant mariner it is just all super alien to me, you can run a thousand foot ultradeepwater drillship 24/7 such that everyone gets 12 hours of rest a day with half the crew I mean I know a destroyer is more complicated than a box full of boxes like I'm used to these days but gently caress man those schedules can't be good for not getting run over

Yeah that's pretty much how the Navy works. Noone on a Navy ship is anywhere near as smart or capable as even an able bodied seaman on a merchant marine vessel, so they bury the problem with a shitload of sleepless bodies.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

Yeah that's pretty much how the Navy works. Noone on a Navy ship is anywhere near as smart or capable as even an able bodied seaman on a merchant marine vessel, so they bury the problem with a shitload of sleepless bodies.

They were probably Einsteins before they didn't sleep for years if they can stay upright and so much as mash random buttons tho

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The Navy way to do things is #1 send more bodies and if that does not work #2 have more bodies there longer

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ded posted:

The Navy way to do things is #1 send more bodies and if that does not work #2 have more bodies there longer

Send more fatbodies to the problem now. New navadmin stops separations for PFA failures.

They are getting pretty desperate if they are keeping the formerly persecuted fatties now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Send more fatbodies to the problem now. New navadmin stops separations for PFA failures.

They are getting pretty desperate if they are keeping the formerly persecuted fatties now.

Has this jumped from rumor to reality?