Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Here is some feel good panels.

GrandpaPants posted:

Can't let the first page of the Badass Panels thread go by without putting in the most badass of badass.

From Weird Fantasy #18, published in 1953.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Herr Tog posted:

Does anybody have other issue from this series about the veteran that snaps about his home town not honoring his fallen brother-in-arms that died in battle because he was black?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

Didn't you know western art and animation is for big strong white manly men but anime and manga are for the colored, queers, and pedos

I need to know what big brawny dudes with 270 probations for racism think is valid cross-cultural exchange. It keeps me alive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so this is another one from Star Wars Tales #2 I found when I was looking for the last one I posted. It's a take on a very old story but I thought it was really cool when I was little so whatever.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Wheat Loaf posted:

Okay, so this is another one from Star Wars Tales #2 I found when I was looking for the last one I posted. It's a take on a very old story but I thought it was really cool when I was little so whatever.

The old story being the guy who was smuggling bicycles across the Berlin Wall, right? Or somesuch variation, I imagine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IronSaber posted:

The old story being the guy who was smuggling bicycles across the Berlin Wall, right? Or somesuch variation, I imagine.

The version I've heard is a slightly different (it was a guy stealing wheelbarrows by filling them with sawdust to trick his boss into thinking he'd hidden something under it) but that's the gist of it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That's some good comic right there

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It's an older joke sir, but it checks out.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

the best piece of this comic is the giant frame of the officer imagining what his career was supposed to be like

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
The fact that ya'll are serious comparing not liking anime to oppression of minorities just really confirms that ya'll loving insane.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
No one is seriously doing that you gigantic dingus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

the best piece of this comic is the giant frame of the officer imagining what his career was supposed to be like

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Herr Tog posted:

iirc the editor didn't get the point of the comic and was racist and was like "cant you have him pull off the helmet and be white?"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alacron posted:

It's an older joke sir, but it checks out.

Old as balls. I think the original version had camel smuggling.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

poly and open-minded posted:

iirc the editor didn't get the point of the comic and was racist and was like "cant you have him pull off the helmet and be white?"
Not the editor, thankfully, but the Comics Code Authority administrator.

quote:

This really made ’em go bananas in the Code czar’s office. ‘Judge Murphy was off his nut. He was really out to get us’, recalls [EC editor] Feldstein. ‘I went in there with this story and Murphy says, “It can’t be a Black man”. But … but that’s the whole point of the story!’ Feldstein sputtered. When Murphy continued to insist that the Black man had to go, Feldstein put it on the line. ‘Listen’, he told Murphy, ‘you’ve been riding us and making it impossible to put out anything at all because you guys just want us out of business’. [Feldstein] reported the results of his audience with the czar to Gaines, who was furious [and] immediately picked up the phone and called Murphy. ‘This is ridiculous!’ he bellowed. ‘I’m going to call a press conference on this. You have no grounds, no basis, to do this. I’ll sue you’. Murphy made what he surely thought was a gracious concession. ‘All right. Just take off the beads of sweat’. At that, Gaines and Feldstein both went ballistic. ‘gently caress you!’ they shouted into the telephone in unison. Murphy hung up on them, but the story ran in its original form.[15]

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Honestly, the entire thread could just be this story, posted over and over again, and it would still be worth it.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

It's important to remember that the CCA was basically designed by DC to kill EC Comics, which was dominating the market with crime, horror, sci-fi, etc. stories by making those impossible and making safe morally simplistic superhero stories pretty much the only thing you could get away with. Or Romance/Monster comics over on Marvel's side.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's about Ethics in Panel Composition.

You should have gotten more love for this. Danke

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Manga are comics.
Comics are good.
Y'all need to chill,

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Counterpoint, Cyclops' being an enormous tool in general turns it from a badass moment to merely a pretty cool one.

I want this Dragon off my lawn.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vincent posted:

Manga are comics.
Comics are good.
Y'all need to chill,
And read Wally Wood.

(burma shave)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like the previous one, these panels are only "badass" inasmuch as they always made me grin when I was little:

Context: Lando Calrissian has been challenged to a card game by the Baron Administrator of Cloud City; he's just lost everything because one of his various rivals bribed the dealer to cheat on the Baron's behalf:

Star Wars Tales #3

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Where will you be when diarrhea strikes

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Where will you be when diarrhea strikes

:vince:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Shut up about anime.

Context: Darth Vader is trying to find the Jedi’s most secret files. Jedi archivist Jocasta Nu isn’t happy about it but is no match for him.

Darth Vader vol. 2 #9

What is it?

It's a blaster, Jocaster. A blaster that shoot lightsabers!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Soonmot posted:

What is it?

THOCKAVEWM THOCKAVEWM THOCKAVEWM

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Soonmot posted:

What is it?

I'm gonna need a fact check from a proper Star Wars nerd, but I have to assume this is was* already a thing in some esoteric Star Wars novel that stopped being canon the moment Disney gave George Lucas all the goddamned money in the world.

* Edited for Toshimo's benefit.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 19, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ecavalli posted:

I'm gonna need a fact check from a proper Star Wars nerd, but I bet this is already a thing in some esoteric Star Wars novel that stopped being canon the moment Disney gave George Lucas all the goddamned money in the world.

There are posts in this thread of a gun full of lightsabers.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ecavalli posted:

I'm gonna need a fact check from a proper Star Wars nerd, but I have to assume this is was* already a thing in some esoteric Star Wars novel that stopped being canon the moment Disney gave George Lucas all the goddamned money in the world.

* Edited for Toshimo's benefit.

there's a scene in one of the more recent Punisher books where Frank is being given some new weapons.

"What's this one?"

"It's a gun, Frank. A gun that shoots swords."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Parahexavoctal posted:

there's a scene in one of the more recent Punisher books where Frank is being given some new weapons.

"What's this one?"

"It's a gun, Frank. A gun that shoots swords."

FWOCKA FWOCKA FWOCKA

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

THOCKAVEWM THOCKAVEWM THOCKAVEWM

Randall J Thockavewm, Sweaty Southern Attorney-at-Law

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, Star Wars Tales started out so good. I really liked what they were able to fill in around that series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

Man, Star Wars Tales started out so good. I really liked what they were able to fill in around that series.

Here's some pages from Star Wars Tales #4. The context is that it takes place during ESB. The guy Vader is fighting is supposedly a bounty hunter who was late for the meeting in the movie, but he's actually an assassin targeting Vader:

I don't really like this one as much today but I thought it was cool when I was a kid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's some pages from Star Wars Tales #4. The context is that it takes place during ESB. The guy Vader is fighting is supposedly a bounty hunter who was late for the meeting in the movie, but he's actually an assassin targeting Vader:

I don't really like this one as much today but I thought it was cool when I was a kid.

Vader used to be such a good character.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Projectra vs Nemesis Kid (Legion of Super-Heroes, at some point in the mid-80s).

context: Nemesis Kid has the power to develop whatever power is necessary to defeat any one opponent. His weaknesses: if he's faced with more than one opponent at a time, his power either switches off or teleports him to safety; also, he's a sadistic bully who likes to drag things out and be creative instead of constantly using death-ray vision.

He has just defeated Karate Kid by instantly developing martial arts skills that are better than the guy who's defined by being the universe's top martial artist. And now Karate Kid is dead.

And then Projectra (totally realistic full-sensory illusions) comes out. And she is very angry. Because not only has Nemesis Kid tried to conquer her entire planet... she and Karate Kid were on their honeymoon.

And she bombards Nemesis Kid with wave after wave of illusions so that all he can perceive is that he's trapped in Hell and being torn to pieces by demons.

And he immediately adapts immunity to her illusions.

And he starts laughing at how weak she is.

And then she hits him in the head with a rock, and bludgeons him to death with her bare hands.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no my one weakness, rocks to the head!

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

Projectra vs Nemesis Kid (Legion of Super-Heroes, at some point in the mid-80s).

context: Nemesis Kid has the power to develop whatever power is necessary to defeat any one opponent. His weaknesses: if he's faced with more than one opponent at a time, his power either switches off or teleports him to safety; also, he's a sadistic bully who likes to drag things out and be creative instead of constantly using death-ray vision.

He has just defeated Karate Kid by instantly developing martial arts skills that are better than the guy who's defined by being the universe's top martial artist. And now Karate Kid is dead.

And then Projectra (totally realistic full-sensory illusions) comes out. And she is very angry. Because not only has Nemesis Kid tried to conquer her entire planet... she and Karate Kid were on their honeymoon.

And she bombards Nemesis Kid with wave after wave of illusions so that all he can perceive is that he's trapped in Hell and being torn to pieces by demons.

And he immediately adapts immunity to her illusions.

And he starts laughing at how weak she is.

And then she hits him in the head with a rock, and bludgeons him to death with her bare hands.

Now, THAT is a twist! Shyamalan can eat a bag of dicks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Oh no my one weakness, rocks to the head!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Parahexavoctal posted:

Are there any badass panels here...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

Are there any badass panels here...?

That writeup must be the concept of panels, I guess.