Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

veni veni veni posted:

Probably since it was a really short time limit and a lot of people ran out of time playing the Beta, making it seem like more of an issue than it is.

From the short time I've spent playing other MH games it seems like running out of stuff like whetstones or health potions is a much bigger threat than the time limit.

Boy do I have news for You! Whetstones infinite. Potions aren't buy you can autocraft them by picking up ingredients which is faster and they changed the formula to make it simpler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bombadilillo posted:

Because if the game inherently makes that playstyle impossible you don't have to waste your time on bullshit.

You want a free-market solution to a problem that's already regulated and doesn't hurt anybody.

All I'm saying is all of the arguments presented make timers sound like a totally vestigial mechanic that just frustrates people for no reason.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This time limit discussion is the shittiest discussion this thread has seen in a long, long rear end time limit.

It's there. Beat the timer or go gently caress yourself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It only frustrates people who are a) insanely bad at the game or b) weirdos who flip out at the concept of timers even if it'll never affect them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The hatred of timers is hard wired into their brains, after having to wait for so many of them to end before they can eat their hot pockets.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I killed the tree in dark souls 3. I felt accomplished. I proceeded to get murdered by some k Igor last a swamp full of crabs and now I’m back to dying to everything.

God I love this game.

:darksouls:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That lovely swamp is the worst bit though

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

The hatred of timers is hard wired into their brains, after having to wait for so many of them to end before they can eat their hot pockets.

Like I said, I don't even hate timers. I'm just trying to work out what value they present to the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

is it ever not

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

Like I said, I don't even hate timers. I'm just trying to work out what value they present to the game.

They make you play within the time limit. :allbuttons:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

King of Solomon posted:

I was just making a dumb joke. I have no actual opinion on timers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

This crab swamp still runs good. Holy gently caress the swamp cavern thing in 1 made my 360 crawl.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked the swamp areas in Dark Souls 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

King of Solomon posted:

They add nothing, congrats you worked it out

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This crab swamp still runs good. Holy gently caress the swamp cavern thing in 1 made my 360 crawl.

merry crabmas everybody

and of course the sequel...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It's "timer" for everyone to "cool-down" (a type of timer commonly found in RPGs)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
This thread uses an ATB system

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Olive! posted:

This thread uses an ATB system

When do I get to fire the dog-crossbow?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Time to use my limit break

*shits self and falls asleep*

E: the timer in Majora’s Mask doesn’t bother me because after the first cycle it basically becomes irrelevant

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

It does make narrative sense in that game.

And despite half the people getting real butthurt about it. It's a manageable Groundhog day simulator after the first cycle. It's awesome.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
For what it's worth I've played earlier MH games and the timer has never made sense and I wish it weren't there. Especially in single player. At least there's roaming.

The shorter timer in the Beta has most likely scared off a lot of newcomers, not to mention the silly codes needed to invite friends. They really needed to explain that these things are going to be different in the full release.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
So i feel like spending a crisp $20 on the current sale....but im not sure what i want, any insight is appreciated:

-Steam World Dig 2: Enjoyed the first one, and Heist.
-Everybodys Golf: seems to scratch that mario golf itch.
-Fortnite: im curious about the battle royale mode, since i dont have a gaming pc.
-Rise of the tomb raider: really liked the previous one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Everybody's Golf is one of my favorite games on PS4 now and it's pretty great. Fortnite Battle Royale should be F2P so just go grab it now.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
Rise of the Tomb Raider owns. If you liked Tomb Raider it's more of that with a cool open-ish (i hesitate to use the word metroidvania but it kind of sort of fits) world.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Maxy Boy posted:

Rise of the Tomb Raider owns. If you liked Tomb Raider it's more of that with a cool open-ish (i hesitate to use the word metroidvania but it kind of sort of fits) world.

People were describing Evil Within 2 like this, is it true?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

People were describing Evil Within 2 like this, is it true?

It's nothing like a metroidvania, but yeah it's more open and it does a lot to improve the game. I'd recommend EW2 without reservation to anyone who likes survival horror. Its only glaring flaw is that the plot is awful but that's almost a genre trope.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You get to pretty freely explore a small town at your leisure between linear areas. it's pretty good. Sort of like Silent hill but less surreal and cornier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PacoPepe posted:

So i feel like spending a crisp $20 on the current sale....but im not sure what i want, any insight is appreciated:

No opinion on the rest but this was a HUGE disappointment for me. I loved the reboot but this one is just a way too big open world, collect a million icons mess.
The story is also pants

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PacoPepe posted:

-Steam World Dig 2: Enjoyed the first one, and Heist.
-Everybodys Golf: seems to scratch that mario golf itch.
-Fortnite: im curious about the battle royale mode, since i dont have a gaming pc.

Steam World Dig 2 is the best game you listed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

No opinion on the rest but this was a HUGE disappointment for me. I loved the reboot but this one is just a way too big open world, collect a million icons mess.
The story is also pants

Agreed. The first one was fun but Rise was a complete slog.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Rise of the Tomb Raider has worse pacing and encounter design than the first one, and the story is really route. I still had fun with it though. More tombs to raid, pretty environments, and the unlockable outfits are actually pretty nice. Some areas can only be reentered by fast travel which was a really strange decision for a vania.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
RotR is good but not nearly as tight as the first reboot. The story and setting aren't as interesting and there are way too many drat things to pick up between relics, documents, resources, boxes, lockers, caches, etc. The game conditions you to hit the instincts button every 3 seconds and it really throws off the pacing and drive of the story.

I really hope that they streamline the game for the next sequel because that collect-a-thon really bogs Rise down. Also maybe don't do another variation on supernatural enemies with primitive weapons yet again. Also LET US SHOOT A T-REX IN GLORIOUS 4K.

Tombs were a lot better though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maybe the next one won't come out seventeen years after the Xbox one version

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Maybe the next one won't come out seventeen years after the Xbox one version

it didn't do the game any favors to come out on ps4 months after uncharted 4, that's for sure

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If you wanna raid tombs as a brunette girl with guns just play Lost Legacy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Lost Legacy is better than either TR reboot game.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Except minus no scope headshot bow kills

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The bow is still really good in Rise. She has a pretty nice video game shotgun as well.

I haven't played Lost Legacy but I'd rather replay both TR games back to back than replay UC4. The only good parts of that game were any scene with a jeep, and scenes in Drake's house.

Edit: To be fair, those parts were really good. And some of the setpieces in the final area. Climbing just killed the pacing.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 20, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrRoMa posted:

on a NES Zapper and pretend you are Hans Solo.

“Yippee Ki Yay, moisture farmer!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Question on streaming to YouTube from my PS4. I regularly stream my GT Sport play. Mostly as an easy replay feature. Usually though I get a handful of viewers and they are often active in chat.

Is there a way or an app that will let me view just the live chat from my stream on my phone without streaming the video back that I’m actually playing in real life since that eats a bunch of bandwidth for no reason?

Reading and replying to chat is annoying on PS4 and once I stop the stream the chats are gone.

I guess I could view my own livestream on the YouTube app and just pause the stream on the phone but I feel like that still eats bandwidth caching the live video.

Surely someone has solved this problem?

The PlayStation app can be a second screen for the chat messages.