Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

firrup posted:

Has anyone tried the revised ranger that was released as unearthed arcana? I’ve been considering trying out the beast conclave but am curious if it actually holds up all that well.

It looks way better than the initial release but that isn’t saying much. Can it actually stack up vs other classes?

It still carries the problems inherent in splitting your PC into two entities (placing your class abilities into a relatively more fragile container), but compared to PHB Beastmaster it's functional.

Mind you that if all you want is an animal buddy you could play a Paladin or Bard and use Find Steed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

CubeTheory posted:

Of course, I'm new here, and these are just rough feelings I have. People seem to indicate that the thread has been like this for a while, but honestly I'm not gonna read 1k pages to find out. Maybe this just isn't the place for me and I should accept that. I don't know, I suppose it doesn't matter much in the long run. I doubt my posts are going to change the voice or opinions of the people in the 5e thread shouting down 5e, just as their posts do little for me.

Just to assist your understanding of why this is happening, many of us posting here are GMs. The goal of GMs is to ensure that their players have the best time possible. (It seems like your GM is doing well at this so far, I'm glad!) Thus a key skill for GMs is developing critical understanding of how RPGs function. That's the main valid reason for criticizing a game.

Oh, I wrote this up without realizing that you're a GM as well. I was going to encourage to keep enjoying yourself while playing the game, but instead, as a GM, I would exhort you to engage in thoughtful discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of this system. You will grow as a GM if you do.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

It basically turns the beast companion into your real PC and it has no way of overcoming damage resistance, but otherwise seems fine.

Okay cool.

I’d probably talk my dm into giving it the equivalent of silvered weapons or eventually insignia of claws assuming he let the beast equip it.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Mind you that if all you want is an animal buddy you could play a Paladin or Bard and use Find Steed.

We’ve already got a paladin so that’s out. Find steed through bard could be fun though. My party has 2 full casters and a paladin so I was gonna try and avoid a pure full caster if I can.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arivia posted:

Considering how bad his official content is and that his third-party 3e stuff wasn't much good either, I think Mearls himself knows that and is much happier with a retroclone.

Lukewarm Take: 5e would be indistinguishable from a mid-2000s d20 OGL retroclone sitting between True20 and Arcana Unearthed if it didn't have the D&D name behind it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lukewarm Take: 5e would be indistinguishable from a mid-2000s d20 OGL retroclone sitting between True20 and Arcana Unearthed if it didn't have the D&D name behind it.

Yeah I can totally see that. “Fixed math” being the big selling point, as if.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pretty much, yes.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So it seems my cities big 5E world has no connection to Adventure League beyond voting on what books to allow. The only ones they've not being Volo's for instance, for now. Basically it seems the consensus is it's up to DM discretion on whether my Barbarian Rage/Reckless Attack will work with a Dwarven Thrower.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neon Knight posted:

As for actual DnD discussion. My players bought me Curse of Strahd and I will be running it in the new year. I have been looking at a lot of cool DM tips guides written for this module but I want to hear from you folks that have played it. What have DMs done in the past to make players truly motivated to defeat Strahd?

How has player death been handled in the adventure? If I used options like Revenants and Dark Gifts to return PCs instead of rolling new ones, would that entirely suck all tension out of danger? Kind of like the opposite of the Death Curse, just refusing to let low level characters stay dead so they can't escape the horrors of Barovia. Then as the players start to feel this is to their advantage I can introduce fates worse than death that may take them off the board/turn them into evil NPCs and reroll.

Don't know about the Death stuff. (Other then I feel death should be a threat.) But one of the things recomended is that you do play Strahd as really smart and Metagame a bit. Particularly once the Party enters the Castle, Strahd should be Harassing the Party a lot.
Strahd is not really built to go into a slugging match with a full powered party. His strengths are Hit and Run namely his lair action to phase through the Walls and floors of his castles along with his legendary action to move around. Strahd ambush the party, smack some of them around, and if he takes a big hit or two he should run through the Wall, floor or roof where the PC's can't follow him easily. Strahd can then wait a minute and he will be fully healed after that Strahd can ambush them again at a point of your choosing. The only time Strahd should not face them in an ambush or run away is when the party encounters him in the place the Card Reading says he will fight them in.

Outside of the Castle Strahd should make some appearances once they are bit higher level. But he should do very simple testing attacks or even talk with the party. As he is not interested in killing them until later in the Adventure. (When he feels that none of the party would serve as a good successor for him.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arthil posted:

So it seems my cities big 5E world has no connection to Adventure League beyond voting on what books to allow. The only ones they've not being Volo's for instance, for now. Basically it seems the consensus is it's up to DM discretion on whether my Barbarian Rage/Reckless Attack will work with a Dwarven Thrower.

Why would they say no to Volo's there are a bunch of cool things in there.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Hey, I run my own game using FATE Core at my home. Games outside of 5e are still being run (heck, there's a WHFRP 1e game going on) outside of the society as the majority of freshers want that D&D 5e action.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why would they say no to Volo's there are a bunch of cool things in there.

It might be less choosing to not have it in and more "Hey what should we vote on next?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

The stuff on the page so far was all people complaining that D&D has rules only to smack creative players down/be pointless, whatever. It's not a precise number, it's a response to that. If people wanted to play D&D with better rules, they wouldn't be in the 5e thread in the first place.
The single post before your post on that page was someone replying to a post by mearles which said that a bunch of rules only exist to smack creative players down/be pointless. I think you got the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dungeon World does have a Barbarian that is pretty much explicitly designed to be hard-drinking, for the record. It is one of the more cleverly designed classes, in my view.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

CubeTheory posted:

I just started playing D&D a few months ago and it was then that I started coming to this thread. I fell in love with D&D immediately, and I spend a lot of my free time reading about it. I'm filled with enthusiasm to play 5e and I greatly anticipate my play sessions with my friends each week. That said, when I read this thread I rarely feel better about myself for having done so. I come here to post about my experiences, to talk about builds and discuss games I'm going to run, and to find others who enjoy 5e as much as I do, but what I feel I often find is a group of people who are frustrated with a system they don't enjoy, and that tempers my excitement. As someone who is excited to explore this new world I don't want to constantly feel like my enjoyment is somehow wrong, that by playing 5e I'm celebrating something lesser. I feel like I'm in a thread about soccer constantly being told that soccer is bad and I should like football instead. I understand that there are a multitude of things you can point at and in some way quantify as "better" in other games. But I don't want to play other games, I want to play 5e with my friends because that's the game I'm invested in, and that's the game I fell in love with. I don't always need to play the best game. Just because Super Mario World exists, doesn't mean I should never play Super Mario Bros 3. I'm in the 5e thread because I enjoy it and I want to discuss it with other people who share my interests. Telling me the game is bad accomplishes nothing. I can't fix the game, I'm not going to stop playing the game. It's just a waste of your time and mine.

Of course, I'm new here, and these are just rough feelings I have. People seem to indicate that the thread has been like this for a while, but honestly I'm not gonna read 1k pages to find out. Maybe this just isn't the place for me and I should accept that. I don't know, I suppose it doesn't matter much in the long run. I doubt my posts are going to change the voice or opinions of the people in the 5e thread shouting down 5e, just as their posts do little for me.
I like 5e. Like I said before, 5e is Fine. You're having a good time because you're doing stuff with friends, and so long as the system isn't getting in the way, you're golden. I've had a lot of fun playing Rifts and that system is dogshit. I think a lot of the people in this thread have played a lot of games (5e, D&D, and otherwise) and have hit those points where the system stopped enabling fun and started hampering it. There are some diehard assholes in here, but I think most of the people dumping on 5e do it in a constructive way that identifies those potential points of friction. Even if you're rosy on the game, it's important to know that stuff and be prepared with solutions/workarounds to keep the game fun and moving. As much as you feel beat down by this thread, I worry a positive echochamber would leave you blaming yourselves for a bad session rather than problems in the system.

Zarick posted:

I agree with everything in this post except the part where you implied Super Mario World is better than Super Mario Bros 3. Ridiculous.

Mods!!?!?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I want to take a second to thank the 3-4 people that offered me systems to take a look at (Splicer, gradenko, Arivia, a couple other names I can’t remember off the top of my head it’s 3:30 and I’m at work ok cut me some slack). Picking up Thou Art But a Warrior to take a look at it when I get home today.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KingKalamari posted:

Honestly I'm cool with people talking poo poo about 5e so long as they're posting legit analysis of it and are contributing instead of just repeating "5e is bad" without adding anything to the discussion.

"reasonably crunchy fantasy game that is not a mangled collection of garbage held together with duct tape"

Thanks!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

firrup posted:

We’ve already got a paladin so that’s out. Find steed through bard could be fun though. My party has 2 full casters and a paladin so I was gonna try and avoid a pure full caster if I can.

Xanathars also has a new Find Greater Steed spell at spell level 4 that gives flying mounts and rhinos.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

CubeTheory posted:

I just started playing D&D a few months ago and it was then that I started coming to this thread.

If you're looking for a place where you can tell stories about the fiction that happened at your gaming table in a purely (or almost purely) positive environment, there's the Notable Gaming Experiences thread on these forums. It's a very chill place where people just like writing and reading about games people had, epic or not. But it's not specifically about D&D5E, and it's not really for build advice or the like.

If you're looking for a place where you can talk about D&D5E without having any naysayers criticizing the system, then there's an entire forum for that! It's called ENWorld. You don't even have to pay :10bux: to post there.

If, on the other hand, you're looking to turn this thread into a place where people can talk about D&D5E without having people say anything negative about the system, then I have some bad news for you. This thread has never been that thread, going all the way back to the first post. I don't think it ever will be.

If you don't like any of these answers, you could always try to start your own thread! In fact, that was tried on these forums once before, wherein people were told only to post positive things. It died pretty quickly. You might have better luck, though.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Xanathars also has a new Find Greater Steed spell at spell level 4 that gives flying mounts and rhinos.

At this point a Valor Bow Bard should just be called "The Good Ranger"

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Razorwired posted:

At this point a ... Bard should just be called "The Good EVERYTHING"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What concept do you want to play? Here is the bard build that does it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

firrup posted:

Okay cool.

I’d probably talk my dm into giving it the equivalent of silvered weapons or eventually insignia of claws assuming he let the beast equip it.

With that composition, I suggest going full caster, anyway. It will help to make sure you are all on similar narrative power levels.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Bard really is the "Tier 1" 5e class, if anyone remembers that old rating system from 3.x.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ritorix posted:

Bard really is the "Tier 1" 5e class, if anyone remembers that old rating system from 3.x.

It's extremely powerful to the point that it clowns any other class at its own job.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Bard is the worst at direct damage dealing, but that's about it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CubeTheory posted:

That's part and parcel to this forum. We don't start new threads for new subtopics, so everything about 5e is going to get posted in the 5e thread. A different forum - like RPGnet or ENWorld - will give you more focused and 5e-positive discussion, but this one will have a lot of system gearheads talking frankly about its flaws. ENWorld in particular is very hyped about 5e, and has a ton of discussion about it.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Man, this thread is like Groundhog's Day
I got you, babe.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The bard has been the Jack of all Trades in most editions, but tended towards Master of None. (2e and 3e particularly, not too familiar with the 4e Bard who I think was more a buffer?) The 5e bard is great at pretty much everything.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 20, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Bard is the worst at direct damage dealing, but that's about it.

Which class is the best at this? Is is the rogue, as was probably intended, or the fighter or the warlock?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Depends on the length of the adventuring day, but probably some paladin build or sorcerer build.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

DalaranJ posted:

Which class is the best at this? Is is the rogue, as was probably intended, or the fighter or the warlock?

There are a lot of variables to consider when calculating damage per round (duration of fight, level, equipment, starting at range or melee, survivability, concentration, etc.) but sorlock at range and champ fighter / berzerker barb in melee are probably kings. Elvish accuracy might give a decent enough boost to ranged rogues to put them up there.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
In terms of optimized single class builds, I want to say it's either the Fighter using a crossbow for consistent damage or the Paladin for burst damage? Without assuming high optimization I would guess Paladin, Rogue or Warlock.

In terms of multiclass builds it's probably some combination of Paladin, Warlock, and Sorceror.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

In my parties it has consistently been Sorcerer Paladins and Berzerking Barbarians. In a lot of cases I find myself artificially inflating the HP of my bosses/etc. just so they actually feel like a threat to my players instead of mooks who get one-shot by our alpha-striking superhero PC's.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Deino posted:

In my parties it has consistently been Sorcerer Paladins and Berzerking Barbarians. In a lot of cases I find myself artificially inflating the HP of my bosses/etc. just so they actually feel like a threat to my players instead of mooks who get one-shot by our alpha-striking superhero PC's.

Have you tried giving them longer adventuring days?

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Kibner posted:

With that composition, I suggest going full caster, anyway. It will help to make sure you are all on similar narrative power levels.

Yeah You’re right. My group tends to be very rp heavy with maybe 1.5 combats a session. Sucks to have to force yourself into usefulness while out of Combat. My current Barbarian has had some issues with it already. Thanks for the help.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

It's a bit of a tossup between Fighter, Paladin, Rogue and the Sorcerer/Warlock multiclass.

Battle Master Fighter, going either Polearm Master + Great Weapon Master or Crossbow Expert + Sharpshooter, has the consistently greatest damage throughout the adventuring day after their level 11 power spike, and with limited nova potential through Action Surge.

Paladin with Polearm Master, after their level 11 power spike, is a close match to to the above but conditionally stronger by way of blowing through their spell slots. Less overall consistent damage but higher nova, essentially.

Then we have Rogue, which nominally falls behind those two, but if it has a reliable method of applying Sneak Attack twice per round (and there are a couple, the easiest one being the Haste+Ready trick), then it surpasses them.

Lastly we have the Sorlock. These guys get decent and consistent damage by default through Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast invocation, but when it gets a tad obscene is if they're willing to spend resources. And boy do they have a number of ways to spend them:

- Eldritch Blast + Quickened Eldritch Blast at the cost of 2 SP; a level 11 sorlock has the SP pool to do this back to back for 4 turns.
- Use their concentration slot on Hex for extra damage on each hit, or Darkness/Greater Invisibility for advantage on all attacks.
- New with Hexblade, use Curse to add proficiency bonus to damage with each hit.
- Empowered metamagic to reroll CHA # of dice on a spell at the cost of 1 SP. Not the best use but it works with Eldritch Blast in a pinch.
- They're still a level 6+ Draconic Sorcerer, so combined with Empowered their Fireballs on average do around 30% more damage than those of other casters, so AoE capability is covered.

ED: Honorable mention goes to the Sorcadin, which beats them all until level 11.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 20, 2017

Gealar
May 2, 2013

Neon Knight posted:

This edition wars stuff would be less annoying if it didn't turn into a whole page of slap-fighting between the same 3 posters. You hate each other, make your points then ignore each other.

I am definitely in the camp of 5e being the TTRPG gateway drug for my group. We have not moved onto the hard drugs yet though and the collective buy-in of the group may just abandon the hobby if I tried to convert our sessions to another system any time soon. But we aren't exactly suffering under 5e.

As for actual DnD discussion. My players bought me Curse of Strahd and I will be running it in the new year. I have been looking at a lot of cool DM tips guides written for this module but I want to hear from you folks that have played it. What have DMs done in the past to make players truly motivated to defeat Strahd?

How has player death been handled in the adventure? If I used options like Revenants and Dark Gifts to return PCs instead of rolling new ones, would that entirely suck all tension out of danger? Kind of like the opposite of the Death Curse, just refusing to let low level characters stay dead so they can't escape the horrors of Barovia. Then as the players start to feel this is to their advantage I can introduce fates worse than death that may take them off the board/turn them into evil NPCs and reroll.

When I ran that adventure I had him show up fairly often. When they were low level he was there to talk and at higher levels he would give out little beat downs and then leave. As to how to get them interested, make him start out as a better person than the party. That shouldn't be too hard as my group was doing the murderhobo stuff on his first appearance. It only took once for him to show up and be a pretend better hero than they were for them to want him gone. Over more of their encounters with him and as they learn what is going on in the world he can start slipping up on the good guy act. You may not have to try hard with the pretending thing. My group went from not carry to loathing him just because he pulled of being a good guy once better than they did.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I would consider 5E a lot more palatable if it:

- Were less married to "do interesting thing, but only 1/day ever" design

- Had significant content depth compared to any other edition

- Alphabetized the races properly

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

I'd like to, but this is the kind of party that takes any excuse to Long Rest. As in literally reserving spell slots for Invisibility and Fly so that they can escape any encounter that doesn't go immediately their way and return to it later when they have a PlanTM. At least this way it means I can play with bigger and more entertaining monsters, and watch their faces get all screwy when I say the monster resisted their Banishment.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

mango sentinel posted:

This has always been an interesting proposition to me. My Sunday group is too gun shy to go into any encounter at less than maximum strength. Enter the castle, get in a fight, long rest. Go down the hall, walk over a trap, long rest. It's loving dumb. I've been trying to talk to the DM privately about discouraging that sort of behavior by considering how the party's actions might translate into benefits for the denizens of the [PLACE]. Maybe they set up ambushes, maybe more of them band together to make an encounter more lethal, maybe reinforcements come in from behind the party. He doesn't want to make anyone feel railroaded though, so he doesn't want to discourage anything at all, really.

Other than too much fun, I guess. We spent half an hour last week rules lawyering the precise height the barbarian could jump to to grab a flying enemy and dunk them to the ground. No "that's cool, roll athletics, do damage and land prone if it's a low roll", just a shitload of reading the skill description in the phb and checking what the player had written for their height (!) on their character sheet. He was short by inches.

Related, I sympathize with whoever posted earlier about all of the cruft in the book is a hindrance. This cat is a new DM, and new D&D player. He sees a book for a game, and it's a rules book, so in his head all of the rules are equally important because games have rules and you follow the rules of the game. If the idea that you should just have an understanding of the framework so that you can bend it to enable players to do fun and cool poo poo was put more up front 5E would benefit from it.

That was kind of meandering but thanks for listening, namaste