Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I'm currently in hospital after getting my broken elbow fixed up, and the guy in the bed over from me keeps lighting cigarettes next to his oxygen tank and shuffling to the toilets to hide it. :stare: At least spark up away from the flammable canister, dickhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

jackhunter64 posted:

I'm currently in hospital after getting my broken elbow fixed up, and the guy in the bed over from me keeps lighting cigarettes next to his oxygen tank and shuffling to the toilets to hide it. :stare: At least spark up away from the flammable canister, dickhead.

Wouldn't the smell give him away? Cigarette smoke is stinky as hell, and very noticeable in places it shouldn't be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
But oxygen isn’t flammable.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wouldn't the smell give him away? Cigarette smoke is stinky as hell, and very noticeable in places it shouldn't be.

Oh it's totally blatant and the nurses have called him out on it, he claims it's just his coat that smells. I think his family brought the tabs in last night during visiting hours. He's also called one of the nurses a 'chink bastard' for telling him to turn his TV off after midnight, and this morning he yanked a drain line out of his side and spilled some awful body fluid over the floor after ignoring the doctor telling him to stay in bed, then claimed the 'ginger oval office' didn't fit it properly in him. A charming guy all round.

Platystemon posted:

But oxygen isn’t flammable.

A small comfort at least.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

as someone who has worked on a loading dock, this is fantastic

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

zedprime posted:

To be fair, the phosgene (or the fluorine analog of phosgene) can be said of most plastics. Or more contemporary, halon/fire inhibiting extinguishers aren't immune either.
Yeah, phosgene quite happily creates itself whenever you have chlorine gas and carbon monoxide together with heat.

Iirc one of the major selling points of Halon-1301 when it was introduced was that it didn't contain chlorine. It can still break down and form hydrogen flouride, but it requires higher temperatures than where CCl4 breaks down. Also Halon-1301 wasn't really marketed for domestic use, so you could at least hope for people being slightly more trained and risk aware around it.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://i.imgur.com/tGX8t71.gifv

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

starkebn posted:

as someone who has worked on a loading dock, this is fantastic

I once opened a scratch and dent retail store as the dock manager. Our dock was near the back right corner of the building with a narrow turn with guardrail, there was also an electrical box by that corner with posts. In order to back up to the dock you had to make the turn sharply in reverse, getting to within a foot of both the guardrail and post at the same time with the cab. Our first delivery was a SWIFT trailer, it took him over 45 minutes to back up to the dock. Me and the three guys waiting to unload were just sitting at the dock laughing the whole time.

After a few months, one guy had our run consistently, he could ace the turn easily, but any time a new driver came, it was an ordeal.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jesus, loving amateur hour from all involved there. Is there a source for this?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Oh, hey, a video of me the last time I played Battlefield 4

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

pay attention to dude on left. rather close call

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Humphreys posted:

And if they are late and even EARLY - they give you a note of apology to give to your boss!

Metra does that in Chicago. Well, for late trains (>10 mins).

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

What happened here?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's amazing to see the amount of drivers who can't back up- I know several yard spotters who make a good amount of cash on the side just backing in trailers for OTR guys who only know how to go forward.

Also amazing: drivers who drive for hours/days with no clue what they're hauling- they were just told to go somewhere and to pick up ~something~ but can't be bothered to look in the back of their trailer or on their bills to determine what before driving 600+ miles.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

owns

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fallows posted:

What happened here?

The wily helicopter was trying to escape the hunters and their net.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
More like missile-toe :black101:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Fallows posted:

What happened here?

Looks like the tail rotor clipped the deck due to wind/moving ship.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fallows posted:

What happened here?

IIRC, the collective friction adjuster backed out while the pilot was running a checklist. The collective inched up, the helicopter got light on the skids, and the pilot tried to pick it up off the deck, but had to use so much aft pitch to not hit the superstructure of the ship that they had a tail-rotor-strike, resulting in the uncontrollable yaw. The plop onto the deck was actually really well executed, and that could have gone much, much worse.

Deteriorata posted:

The wily helicopter was trying to escape the hunters and their net.

This is the alternative explanation.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The guy on the left at the very least needs new underwear. Probably new pants.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

MrYenko posted:

IIRC, the collective friction adjuster backed out while the pilot was running a checklist. The collective inched up, the helicopter got light on the skids, and the pilot tried to pick it up off the deck, but had to use so much aft pitch to not hit the superstructure of the ship that they had a tail-rotor-strike, resulting in the uncontrollable yaw. The plop onto the deck was actually really well executed, and that could have gone much, much worse.

This is the alternative explanation.

So the controls hosed up and it took off on its own basically?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Time for my favorite OSHA helicopter video. Nothing goes wrong, but it's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1sVKs_G5lM

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Dark Off posted:

pay attention to dude on left. rather close call

Hey guys there's a helicopter in the video, keep your eyes on it!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

Hey guys there's a helicopter in the video, keep your eyes on it!

Gotta hand it to the camera operator for keeping a couple thousand pounds of nearby spinning blades and fuel in frame as well as they did.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've seen a few helicopter videos on the back of a ship where something similar happens but they don't stick the landing and end up tipping over into the sea :(

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Baronjutter posted:

I've seen a few helicopter videos on the back of a ship where something similar happens but they don't stick the landing and end up tipping over into the sea :(

Yeah, there's that one morbidly famous one of a Chinook missing the landing and toppling over into the ocean. Not going to link it, as I think everyone onboard died :(

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Hey real life footage of me trying to back up in ETS2/ATS

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

What the gently caress happened there lol

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

MF_James posted:

Well, the front fell off.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Boogalo posted:

Well, the front fell off.

Certainly it's designed in a way that the front shouldn't fall off.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Crackerjacks.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

MF_James posted:

My guess it the had it on the lift to work on the front end, WAS balanced until they took the engine out, then it tipped over backwards smashing the back end.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

null_pointer posted:

Yeah, there's that one morbidly famous one of a Chinook missing the landing and toppling over into the ocean. Not going to link it, as I think everyone onboard died :(

Sea King, not Chinook. 17 souls on board, 9 fatalities. Cause was a flight control linkage that fell apart because of lovely maintenance habits.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phanatic posted:

Sea King, not Chinook. 17 souls on board, 9 fatalities. Cause was a flight control linkage that fell apart because of lovely maintenance habits.

Sure, they claim that was the cause. Because no one would ever fly in a Sea King again if they knew the real reason was that Poseidon thinks the name is a bit presumptuous and slaps them down occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ChesterJT posted:

My guess it the had it on the lift to work on the front end, WAS balanced until they took the engine out, then it tipped over backwards smashing the back end.

Ahh yup this makes sense, didn't think about how the engine was out of the car and put 2 and 2 together.