Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Rappaport posted:

I like how the critique of Nazi racial prejudice insanity is in itself racist.

Racist against Micky Mouse? I genuinely don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I assume Set just started calling BJ Shimshon because he was a big strong guy, apparently sent by G-d, not necessarily because he's Jewish.

Basically. All of the homonyms Set uses when talking to BJ (Shimshon and Yingele most often) are respectively 'Sampson' and 'Younger', so it's less about BJ being jewish and more Set being set (heh) in his ways.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A few things I really like about what we see in this video:

BJ's idea of distancing himself from Anya lasted about ten minutes. It's a nice reminder that they have a fundamentally strong relationship despite BJ's condition deteriorating and him trying to create some separation between them in the last episode. It's one of the few times you see BJ's resolve falter in either game, which says a lot.

I love Super Spech being the "Aliens!" guy from Ancient Aliens. Spech is a fun character in general, being an off the wall, hyperactive conspiracy nut. They slip some interesting details into his monologue, like the fact that he defended Grace from charges stemming from an FBI investigation and that his dad probably pushed him into the conspiracy stuff.

The Nazis hated the KKK, from what I've been made to understand (because internet Nazi historians said so after the game was announced), but as Grace has mentioned, the Nazis more or less gave the KKK the South. My guess is that they simply co-opted the KKK to serve their purpose and establish a Vichy France-style puppet state fronted by a familiar face. I can also totally see them co-opting the Boy Scouts to form a sort of Hitler Youth American Chapter and other institutions like the Daughters of the Confederacy or the Elks or what have you in order to quickly graft Nazi ideals into social organizations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lazyfire posted:

The Nazis hated the KKK, from what I've been made to understand (because internet Nazi historians said so after the game was announced), but as Grace has mentioned, the Nazis more or less gave the KKK the South. My guess is that they simply co-opted the KKK to serve their purpose and establish a Vichy France-style puppet state fronted by a familiar face.

From what I've read before this game came out, it was a bit more complicated than that. The KKK has always had a strong aspect of "MURICA gently caress YEAH!" which didn't exactly play well with Nazism, and the KKK historically has always been far more concerned with black and brown people than with the Jews and Slavs that were Nazism's biggest bugbears. The KKK has also always had an element of Christian Dominionism (ranging from downright espousing a theocracy to just using Christianity as an excuse), whereas Nazism was much less friendly to religion and only co-opted mainly Christian religion to serve its own purposes but like most of the major fascist movement tended strongly towards atheism in the movement's own philosophical musings - Nazism also flirted some with Germanic and Norse neo-paganism.

Not hard to believe that the Nazis and KKK in the Wolfenstein timeline more or less met in the middle, the KKK is probably the closest the USA has had to a major home-grown fascist movement until modern times. I'd have no trouble believing that in this timeline the KKK itself began to adopt more Nazi-like ideals to receive support from the Nazis even before America officially surrendered.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sleepy.eyes posted:

Racist against Micky Mouse? I genuinely don't get it.

Yeah if anything it's just ripping on the Nazi high command being some ugly non-Aryan ideal looking motherfuckers, in this case Goebbels being a rat faced bastard.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Cythereal posted:

From what I've read before this game came out, it was a bit more complicated than that. The KKK has always had a strong aspect of "MURICA gently caress YEAH!" which didn't exactly play well with Nazism, and the KKK historically has always been far more concerned with black and brown people than with the Jews and Slavs that were Nazism's biggest bugbears. The KKK has also always had an element of Christian Dominionism (ranging from downright espousing a theocracy to just using Christianity as an excuse), whereas Nazism was much less friendly to religion and only co-opted mainly Christian religion to serve its own purposes but like most of the major fascist movement tended strongly towards atheism in the movement's own philosophical musings - Nazism also flirted some with Germanic and Norse neo-paganism.

Not hard to believe that the Nazis and KKK in the Wolfenstein timeline more or less met in the middle, the KKK is probably the closest the USA has had to a major home-grown fascist movement until modern times. I'd have no trouble believing that in this timeline the KKK itself began to adopt more Nazi-like ideals to receive support from the Nazis even before America officially surrendered.

Way I heard it was a lot simpler than that, and about as simple-minded as you'd expect from people that make decisions based on being racist - the Klan hated the Nazis because the Nazis sided with Japan after Pearl Harbor.

EDIT: also Episode 3 of Wolfstone 3D being "Die, Terror-Billy, Die!" made me laugh.

While on the subject of Wolf3D, I feel that it's my personal duty to remind people that the dogs in that game only had one hitpoint.

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 20, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The Klan was also virulently Anti-Catholic, and Catholics were a pretty sizable chunk of the population of the richest parts of Germany (including Bavaria, where the Nazis got their start).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

My favoritein0game document was the postcard making GBS threads on Jacksonville

Still true IRL

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kadorhal posted:

Way I heard it was a lot simpler than that, and about as simple-minded as you'd expect from people that make decisions based on being racist - the Klan hated the Nazis because the Nazis sided with Japan after Pearl Harbor.

It varied some from what I read - some in the KKK believed the Nazi-Japan alliance was merely one of convenience and Germany would dispose of Japan once its geographically immediate neighbors were dealt with.

They probably weren't wrong, and indeed weren't in this series.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like the touch that Max actually has quite a few talents, he just has speech problems and a little developmental difficulty.

I think the paint jobs on the choppers are meant to be his. :3:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I like that Grace and Fergus seem to be making progress. She actually said he was a Scotsman after this last argument.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also note: The wanted poster refuses to admit BJ has blonde hair, calling it 'light red brown'.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Also note: The wanted poster refuses to admit BJ has blonde hair, calling it 'light red brown'.

So it does.

Hilarious how their attempts to make their supposed Aryan traits more noble and perfect make it harder for them (theoretically) to find the dude kicking their asses (not theoretical).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

HannibalBarca posted:

The Klan was also virulently Anti-Catholic, and Catholics were a pretty sizable chunk of the population of the richest parts of Germany (including Bavaria, where the Nazis got their start).

To be sure, while there was complicity of the Catholic church in the rise of Nazism, there was also an anti-Catholic project in the Nazi movement too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I think the paint jobs on the choppers are meant to be his. :3:

I think the helos have been designated "Hass 1-3" ever since TNO.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lazyfire posted:

defended Grace from charges stemming from an FBI investigation
By any chance did the charges involve a lot of violence against nazis? :black101:

I don't like Grace. She's civil to BJ and all but to everyone else she is a complete bitch hurling insults and antagonizing people. Even the basics of common courtesy seems like an alien concept to her. But at least she's competent. :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

By any chance did the charges involve a lot of violence against nazis? :black101:

I don't like Grace. She's civil to BJ and all but to everyone else she is a complete bitch hurling insults and antagonizing people. Even the basics of common courtesy seems like an alien concept to her. But at least she's competent. :shrug:

I really like Grace, on the other hand. She's an angry, angry woman and it's not hard to understand why. She wants to get poo poo done and is working very hard to get said poo poo done.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I get it, but she could easily accomplish it without resorting to a barrage of insults. She's not treating anyone with even a hint of respect. :(

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

She's more agreeable with Wyatt.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

BJ's idea of distancing himself from Anya lasted about ten minutes. It's a nice reminder that they have a fundamentally strong relationship despite BJ's condition deteriorating and him trying to create some separation between them in the last episode. It's one of the few times you see BJ's resolve falter in either game, which says a lot.

I personally love how quickly Anya calls BJ out on his dying bullshit.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Did I miss a scene that established that he's dying of something beyond the healing ability of the techno-wizard who can attach a cat's head to a monkey's body?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I just love how Grace and Fergus sling insults at each other.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Did I miss a scene that established that he's dying of something beyond the healing ability of the techno-wizard who can attach a cat's head to a monkey's body?

I want Wolfenstein 3 to have BJ's head attached to a monkey's body.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GunnerJ posted:

My impression is that BJ's been beaten down psychologically more than physically. Mentally and emotionally, he's running on fumes and starting to break down. His body is probably more or less okay, but BJ needs a vacation and therapy rather than a hospital.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

His torso is pretty torn up and the suit is pretty much the only thing keeping him standing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

GunnerJ posted:

Set can only do so much with the material available. It's the same reason when BJ woke up Max wasn't speaking full sentences and Caroline still needed the power armor.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
He's just woken up from his SECOND coma. He had shrapnel stuck in his brain from #1, but was otherwise pretty good. He's now in his 40s and even if he was 100% healthy he'd be feeling age.
But now after getting stabbed a bunch of times, shot a few, crashed a lunar shuttle, had a grenade going off near him...he was in a several month coma, and now he's unable to walk, and on top of that Set basically says his organs are starting to give out. The suit can give him mobility and strength back, but it can't fix his internal issues.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe the next game take place 18 years in the future as one of his kids?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I mean, medicine and healing in this universe aren't totally consistent anyway, given that 14 years of locked in syndrome should leave him a wasted scrap of a person, not a musclebound killing machine.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Death Incarnate doesn't follow the rules of Biology.

I'm guessing they're gonna find some sort of Da'at Yishud healing device and fix terror-billy right up.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
God I love this speculation

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

Set can only do so much with the material available. It's the same reason when BJ woke up Max wasn't speaking full sentences and Caroline still needed the power armor.

Yeah, but I still wouldn't bet against him being able to figure something out.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

GunnerJ posted:

I don't remember if there was an actual "you have six months to live"-type estimate given to him at any point but yeah, BJ is pretty much on his last legs at this point after having been within one foot of a grenade going off that completely shredded most of the other guy who set it off, and then the emergency surgery they had to do to keep him alive afterwards. Remember that he's only at TNO levels of mobility because of the Da'at Yichud armor Caroline had been using since near the end of TNO, and before that he was stuck in a wheelchair.

I figure they could do what Set did with the cat/monkey and attach BJ's head to a new body that hasn't been worn down by a lot of solo Nazi-killing... if they had one on hand. Problem is, the only spare bodies I imagine they'd have on the Evas Hammer right now were on the receiving end of BJ's solo Nazi-killing, so it wouldn't really be an improvement.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

They could just grab some random nazi after blowing its head off, but that might be a bit... icky.

Unless of course someone were to volunteer, or end up in a fatal accident. Please note I mean a real accident and not a whoops-he-walked-into-the-hidden-neck-height-sawblade-trap-just-outside-the-medbay kind of accident.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

My favorite indication of BJ's diminished physical state is the 50 health max before overcharge. It is just a great way to show he isn't doing great.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Lazyfire posted:

My favorite indication of BJ's diminished physical state is the 50 health max before overcharge. It is just a great way to show he isn't doing great.

Is it spoilerific to tell us if that lasts the whole game?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Is it spoilerific to tell us if that lasts the whole game?
Answering yes or no to that would be a spoiler since it would reveal if he gets better later on. :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah I noticed that, it's a cool detail.

For the record, I wasn't suggesting that BJ gets a whole new body just because Set's done it, just that that is an index to his mad science skill. Although I am not against BJ going body hopping.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Poil posted:

Answering yes or no to that would be a spoiler since it would reveal if he gets better later on. :v:

Yeah, agreed. People just have to watch and speculate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Nazis leadership seemed to be genuinely surprised that America didn't back them in the 30s and took it badly. Hitler was in massive denial that America either wouldn't get involved or would support him tacitly.

The Klan probably saw the Nazis as an extension of the papal state.

• Locked thread